Growing Things (attn Isla)

When channelers need to channel and don't want to risk breaking the Tower into a million pieces, this is where they go.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Growing Things (attn Isla)

Post by Alianora » June 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Accepted Amaranie
Amaranie was getting rather tired of trying the weave over and over, with her best efforts returning no positive results. She sighed in frustration, already worried about returning to her lessons under Amyla Sedai to report that she still couldn't get the weave correct after putting days of work into her attempts. Not feeling up to another try, Amaranie's head dropped as she listen to Isla make suggestions about had gone wrong. Probably too much Air. Again. If I'm so strong in it, why can't I control it better? She'd been told that was so, but right now, Amaranie did not believe it. Far more likely was what Isla had said, that she still wasn't getting her Air and Earth proportions correct.

The Accepted scowled at the pile of dust that had so briefly been a rather pretty flower. "You're probably right," she said to Isla. "It doesn't seem to matter what changes I try to make, I just can't hold enough Earth to match what I have of Air. I've seen other women solve this sort of problem by just handling a smaller amount of Air, but I can't hold Air in any small amount. It's almost like the Air threads want me to use them, and don't want to leave." Amaranie's cheeks flushed red, hearing herself say that. She knew the Five Powers weren't alive, but that was how it felt to her.

She muttered under her breath, "Maybe I just can't do this." It would not be the first weave she had little or no ability to create. Now that she was an Accepted, she'd tried to take classes in a great variety of things, but had shown no particular gift for anything she'd learned so far. It was a great frustration to her, and there were days when Amaranie feared she just wasn't going to be very skilled with anything, and that there was no place for her within the Grey Tower. She studied the ground where her latest failure had grown, feeling defeated.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » June 18th, 2018, 1:45 am

Isla sympathized with her friend, although she wasn't sure what she could say that would make her feel better. There were some Yellows that were skilled at counseling like that, but Isla could already tell that this wouldn't be the path she fell upon. Maybe you had to be raised in a different way than she had, but it was a struggle for her. Not the empathy, but the words to help.

She pushed herself back a little so she could lean back against the tree, releasing Saidar and the idea of the seeds for the time being.

"I struggle with Earth like that," she said. "They say that it's pretty common for women to have problems with Earth and Fire, but it doesn't make it less frustrating. I've tried a few weaves that relied heavily on Earth and... Well, it just didn't work. There are so many potential things that can be done with the Power, that it's not possible to be good at all of them.

"Sometimes it feels like trying to herd cats to use Earth." She paused, pursing her lips a little. "I've never actually tried to do that, but I heard someone in the infirmary use it. Having met some cats here at the Tower, it sounds about right."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 19th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Accepted Amaranie
Amaranie wrinkled her nose. "I have trouble with Earth too," she said, "but it's a different sort of problem than I have with Air. With Earth, it's simply that I'm weaker in it and can't hold very much, just like most women." Since she knew that to be true, her difficulty with Earth had never bothered her much. "Air isn't the same. You said Earth for you is like herding cats? Air for me is more like...trying to herd cats, then getting surrounded by them when I only wanted a few." It was a rather silly comparison, which brought a smile back to Amaranie's face for a moment.

It quickly disappeared as Amaranie continued to think on her problems. "What frustrates me is that with Earth, I've been able to practice and gradually improve in what I can do, though I'll never be very good with it. I've tried that with Air, and I still overwhelm almost all my weaves with it, no matter what I do." She sighed, looking at the remaining seeds and contemplating whether she felt up to making another attempt with the weave. Quietly, she added, "I just wish I had some sort of skill in something, like most of the other Accepted do."

Bella

Post by Bella » June 20th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Isla listened and nodded thoughtfully. She herself had shown skill in Healing, but she certainly wasn't going to mention that now. She had known of other Accepted that were more...utilitarian in their abilities. They weren't necessarily "exceptional" at anything, but could do enough of many things to be of use in many situations. Which made them exceptional.

But she wasn't sure how to word that now in a way that would make Amaranie feel better, rather than worse.

"Not every channeler is necessarily exorbitantly skilled with just one thing," she began, trying to sound more confident in her ability to word than she really was. "Or in something with the One Power. Or it can just take a while to find what that thing is. But some channelers are really good at something not channeling related, or they can do many things a little and be useful in more than just one type of situation."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 21st, 2018, 10:09 pm

Accepted Amaranie
"Maybe," Amaranie said doubtfully. "I guess I'll just keep trying to learn new weaves, and see if I end up doing well at any of them." She scowled at the seeds on the ground. "I do not think that's going to happen with plantweaving, even if I do get this weave to work." Though she had little hope that she could manage it, Amaranie focused on another of the seeds, preparing to try the weave one last time before giving up entirely.

After their brief rest, it seemed to Amaranie that the weave was just a little easier. She started with Earth again, clawing at the reluctant element until she held nearly as much of it as she could. It made her feel tired already, and she hurried to add the Water threads to it, easily matching the amount of Earth she held. Amaranie drew on Spirit next, less than she had of the other two, and then braced herself to fight with the Air threads she needed.

Sometimes, when she reached for Air, Amaranie thought it might just smother her while she pulled on it. She flinched as she worked, struggling to try to let go of some of the Air threads she held. Once again, she had far more than she needed. Amaranie forced them from her, one after another, and sweat beaded on her forehead with the effort she put into her work. After working at this for quite a long time, Amaranie looked at the mass of Air she held and judged it equal enough to the Spirit threads she'd used.

She tugged at the last, thin Fire thread required, then took one deep breath before letting her weave settle on one of the seeds. Amaranie held that breath as it sunk in and a tiny crack formed on the seed. She winced, afraid it would explode like so many previous attempts, but the crack widened, and then Amaranie was shocked to see a tiny, bright green sprout. The plant grew exactly one little leaf before it stopped growing, but Amaranie did not care how small it was. It worked! She picked it up gently, displaying it in cupped hands for Isla to see. "It's hardly there at all," she said to her friend, "but that's better than I've done so far."

Bella

Post by Bella » June 22nd, 2018, 3:19 am

Isla watched carefully as her friend tried the weave again, and she felt more anxiety than if she had been trying it herself! It felt like it was somehow very important to Amaranie to conquer this on some level, and since it was important to her friend, it was important to her as well and she wanted to see the other woman succeed.

Biting the inside of her lip, she watched as each layer of the weave was put together. The struggle with Air was clear, but she just hoped upon hope that she would manage it...

Once it was settled upon the seed, they both watched it. To anyone on the outside, it might have looked very silly, like they were staring at nothing at all and very intently. But they knew what it was, and they watched and waited. After a very long moment, the seed cracked and Isla almost winced in preparation for it to shatter, but...

It didn't.

"You did it!" Isla exclaimed with excitement, clapping her hands together as she looked at the little seed with its tiny green plant. "Amaranie, you did it." She grinned. "Good job. It's a love little plant."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 24th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Accepted Amaranie
Amaranie smiled at Isla, who almost seemed to be more excited than she herself was. She felt more relieved that she wouldn't have to return to class without having made any sort of progress with the weave. " I suppose I did," she said, but Amaranie frowned as she looked at the seed in her hand. What do I do with it now? She had thought that if the weave worked, the seed would implant itself in the soil to grow, but she had either been incorrect about that or simply lacked the ability with the weave that would have caused that. Amaranie looked back at Isla, "Do you think Miahala Sedai would let me plant this and keep it in my room? I thought it would start growing from the ground, but it didn't, and I don't want to leave it here to die." I worked much too hard on this to allow that.

She used the edge of her sleeve to wipe the sweat from her forehead, far too drained from her work to even think of channeling further. "Are you going to try it again?" she asked Isla. "If I made it work, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to. I wish I knew what I did differently so I could tell you."

Bella

Post by Bella » June 25th, 2018, 12:49 am

Isla looked at the cute little budding plant, tilting her head thoughtfully. "I can't imagine why you wouldn't be allowed to do so. Now that we are Accepted, we are allowed a little decoration to our personal space. And this is a more productive decoration than most." She paused. "I suppose the weave needed to go a little longer to plant in the ground, or maybe you make it bud and plant it yourself?"

She realized that didn't really know enough about plantweaving in the long term.

When Amaranie asked if she wanted to try again, she almost didn't. She had become so focused on her friend's efforts that she didn't want to distract from the moment. But she also didn't want to seem like she wasn't willing to try as hard as the other Accepted had, so she just nodded and took a breath.

"Okay, little plant," she said quietly, focusing on Saidar.

Air came easily, conforming precisely how she wanted it too. Then came the Earth, which she clenched her teeth and wrestled into place, working hard to make sure there was as much as the Air. When she thought it was good, she added the Water and Spirit, both flowing easily, and then fought with the Fire. This time, she tried to make it thinner than before.

She stared at the weave, making sure it was okay, and tried to strengthen the Earth a little before she settled it down on the seed.

The little bean-shaped thing trembled and then it cracked, the tiny green shoot popping out. This time, she didn't drop the weave in shock like before and the little green shoot popped up a bit more...and then stopped. It was a little bit bigger than Amaranie's, though it didn't settle into the dirt either. Still, it was a plant.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 25th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Accepted Amaranie
"I don't know," Amaranie said. "I guess...it might make more sense to have to plant it yourself anyways or there would be all sorts of plants overrunning the Channeling Yards." Still holding her seed, Amaranie bent her head forward to observe Isla's attempt at the weave. If she were lucky, her friend would do better than she had, and possibly give her the chance to see where she was going wrong. She stared closely at the seed as Isla worked with it, noticing that the other Accepted had the same trouble with Earth as herself. Isla did not, however, share Amaranie's problem with Air, and to Amaranie's eyes, the weave came together a little more quickly for her.

She held her breath when Isla let her weave drop over the seed in front of her, hoping her friend would have success like she had. Amaranie smiled at her friend as the seed began to shake. I think she's got it! Just as she thought that, the seed split open and a tiny plant shot out of it. "You did it, Isla!" she said, pleased to see her friend's work rewarded. "Yours is even a little taller than mine."

Bella

Post by Bella » June 26th, 2018, 1:42 am

As she lifted the little seed and shoot in her hand, Isla looked at it with wide blue eyes and a giggle escaped before she could stop it. Then she moved her eyes to Amaranie's and smiled. "A little," she said. "I'm going to plant it in a pot and put it in my room too. Maybe see if I can grow it a little at a time..."

Before she had a chance to continue, the bells began to ring. She sighed, but was still smiling. "I guess we need to get going on to our next classes, huh? I'm really glad we managed to do this, though."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik