Hilt and Bandages [Open]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Lugh
MoNSTer

Hilt and Bandages [Open]

Post by Lugh » January 26th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Beron
Beron stopped as he entered the Infirmary and was instantly greeted by a hive like buzz of noise coming from everywhere. He had expected the Infirmary to be busy, with the Grey Tower involved in so many tasks that could injure, but the scope of what he was seeing was shocking at first glance.

Still he had never shied away from a challenge, even if this particular climb was his idea. And so Beron waited until he saw an Accepted step away from a bed before approaching her.

“Excuse me Accepted,” Beron said in a hushed voice, not wanting to disturb anyone resting. “I have a spare moment and was hoping to aid in the Infirmary. I would learn more of healing if possible.” Beron finished in a rush as the young woman quickly slashed her eyes over his uniform.

“We have enough to do without teaching you how. If you want to help, help with the bandages,” said the Accepted curtly as she waved him away. Beron of course was familiar with the chore, Drin often found themselves sent to the Yellow Sisters to make up for bruises and scrapes given in spars.

At one corner of the Infirmary sat a bubbling cauldron, the water causing steam to rise with a pungent smell of herbs. These herbs smelled terrible, but he had been told that they aided in preventing a wound from fouling. And so he nodded to the other learning ranks at work, and grabbing an armload of soiled bandages began cleaning them in the cauldron. It was hard work, the thick wooden paddle used to stir the mixture was a cut down ferryman’s pole.

With muscles strong from the Yard, Beron stirred idly as he tried to watch over the Yellow Ajah as they wrapped muscles, healed the weak with fortifying tinctures, and other medicine. He had spent almost all his waking days preparing to fight, but as Beron stirred the linens, he had to admit that healing seemed to draw him as well. Do some good to balance the harm, just as one flower make be pruned to allow the other more room to grow he thought to himself as he worked.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Hilt and Bandages [Open]

Post by Bella » February 4th, 2018, 2:56 am

(OOC: I know we already have one thread, but since no one has jumped on this one yet...)
Gareth Tomosan Asha'man There was never a dull day in the infirmary, and it seemed to the large Yellow that this day was no different. Perhaps even more than usual, as he was sure that someone was trying to get people injured and sent here. Not to mention that they were down a few of their usually attending channelers who were all off on a mission out of the Tower.

Of course, Gareth didn't mind the work. He enjoyed it. This was his life's calling, and until he had met, bonded, and married Riahana and had their children, it had been his only calling.

He moved through the melee with a surprising amount of grace for one who was so tall and still built like the blacksmith he had been, forever and a half ago. Things had fallen into a small lull for the moment, so he chose then to do a quick inventory on their various supplies. In due course, he ended up toward the back and the bandage prep area.

There, Gareth found a Drin working the cauldron. As he moved to the table nearby and continued his check, he casually commented, "I don't believe I've seen you around the infirmary before." His voice was deep, rumbling, reminiscent of if mountains rubbed against one another, but his expression was impassive bordering on kind; to show he was not chastising the Drin's newness in any way.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » February 5th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Beron Beron was lost in the task he had taken upon himself. It was hot, sweaty work but there was no sense complaining when he had taken the task on himself. As he toiled, through the steam and hanging linens he saw an Ashaman enter the back area.

The sheer size of the man drew Beron’s eye, and the Yellow cord resting upon his shoulder seemed at odds with muscles that rivalled an armorers.

"I don't believe I've seen you around the infirmary before." His voice was deep, rumbling, reminiscent of if mountains rubbed against one another, but the Ashaman was involved in a task as he counted supplies.

“No Ashaman, I have never been to the Infirmary before. I arrived not long ago from Saldaea, and since then my time has been spent mostly in classrooms,” said Beron in response.

“I hope I haven’t caused any trouble, I had a free bell now so I came to see the Infirmary. I know much of the healing done here is with the One Power, I had just hoped to see if there was anything a Warder in training could learn. When I arrived though, the Accepted at the front seemed annoyed I was here without having been assigned, so I took this task to help and stay out of the way,” Beron said for a moment as he finished pulling the linen out of the boiling cauldron. “In my experience the healers never had enough bandages, so I assumed no one would mind.”

OOC: Thanks Bella. This is a thread I had wanted to start, and from the Bio I read last night Gareth is perfect. I essentially see Beron as wanting to learn some of Lan’s tricks. An Aes Sedai can wear herself out helping others, I see Beron as eventually knowing a tea or broth that sustains or fortifies. Or knows which wounds to stitch, and which to let be healed if that makes sense. This thread is my intro into pursuing that idea

Bella

Post by Bella » February 9th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Gareth looked up as the young man spoke, and the Yellow smiled. It was a small expression, economical in the amount of energy it took, and lifting really only half his mouth, but his pale eyes made it clear that it was sincere. "Saldaea, tis a good place to be from," he rumbled. "My wife is born and bred to the land, and I was raised there myself."

Of course, he didn't know where he was bred of--if he was Saldaean by blood--but he still looked back at it like home before the Tower.

He was quiet for a moment as he set a stack away and then turned to face the other. "We can use all the help we can get here on some days," he went on, "so no trouble at all." Gareth made a mental note of which Accepted was helping today and that he would need to speak to her about her attitude.

"We do often use the One Power here, but channeling takes energy that may not need to be spent. There are many tasks for healers that do not need the power and that a warder-in-training could learn, certainly. Knowledge of triage, and after-care. Bandaging, stitching, herbcraft, even bonesetting."

OOC: Great! :D

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » February 11th, 2018, 4:54 am

Beron Beron was surprised when the Ashaman spoke of Saldaea, he had known that there was other Borderlanders at the Grey Tower, he had just not expected to meet someone from Saldaea this soon. "I agree Ashaman, Beron Faim. It is a pleasure to meet someone else from home. I would be honored to meet your wife one day."

Beron lit up when the Ashaman mentioned the various tasks and knowledges that could be learnt by even a warder in training here. He had never had much chance for scholarship on the farm, and with the outdoors beckoning he had always chosen to enjoy the mountains. However he had been slowly learning to enjoy the opportunities for learning that the Grey Tower afforded. And although as a scout he had been lucky to avoid the worst of the fighting, he had seen the carnage that a raid could leave.

"I would very much like to learn what there is to learn of such things Ashaman. I have no training now, so I would defer to you as to the best place to start. I have heard whispers of the damage left by some of the attacks the Tower has faced over the years. I hope to stand against that, and to contribute to the greater good as well," Beron said seriously as he approached the Ashaman.

Chewing his lip nervously, he decided to ask before his nerves got the better of him, "How did you know you had wanted to be a Healer? I know there is a talent for it among the channelers, but was it more than that?"

Bella

Post by Bella » February 13th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Gareth chuckled softly at the broadness of the question, and gestured for Beron to join him at the workbench where there was a pile of cleaned, dried bandages needing to be rolled up and put away, as well as several pots and jars that needed to be stacked back into their proper places. Gareth did not want to be idle while they talked, if they could do both, and more polite to not have his back to the Drin.

"I am among those with the channeler's Talent for the Healing weave," Gareth said. "And it is strong in me." That was his humble nature, since he was among one of the Grey Tower's most powerful Healers. "But it was more than that. It was..." He paused to consider his words as he rolled a long strip of cloth. "A calling.

"I was raised as a blacksmith's apprentice, and I liked to create things. I never had the urge to destroy. I never wished to be a soldier. It is not that I think badly of soldiers, for they have a hard task and it is needful in these darkening times, but I knew it wasn't for me. When I came here and learned of Healing, and learned I could, it all just fell into place. I knew it was for me, and I pursued the Yellow."

He paused and glanced sidelong at the boy. "My name is Gareth, by the way. And I would imagine you've already seen, if not met, my wife. Riahana Gaidin."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » February 15th, 2018, 3:16 am

Beron
Beron was glad for the chance to sit, as the cauldron work had been tiring. Taking his seat with Gareth, he began to roll the cloth bandages as the Ashaman told him the proper folds. .

"I am among those with the channeler's Talent for the Healing weave," Gareth said. "And it is strong in me.. It was a calling,” Gareth said with a pause. Each word calms strong and true, and Beron could tell he was a man who took his words seriously. Beron nodded and considered the little he had learned of Talents so far in his training.

"I was raised as a blacksmith's apprentice, and I liked to create things. I never had the urge to destroy. I never wished to be a soldier. It is not that I think badly of soldiers, for they have a hard task and it is needful in these darkening times, but I knew it wasn't for me. When I came here and learned of Healing, and learned I could, it all just fell into place. I knew it was for me, and I pursued the Yellow."

He paused and glanced sidelong at the boy. "My name is Gareth, by the way. And I would imagine you've already seen, if not met, my wife. Riahana Gaidin."

When Gareth finished Beron could not keep his jaw from falling open. He had of course met Riahana, and the Mistress of Training was not someone you would easily forget. He could not picture a couple that would draw the eyes more, “Pleasure to meet you Gareth Ashaman. I feel as if every time I turn a corner a figure out of legend greets me. I had the pleasure of meeting your wife when I first arrived.”

“I think I understand what you mean. My captain carved wood, made gifts and statues to pass the time. He always spoke of a flower to surpass the thorns, something beautiful to counter something ugly. In a way I suppose that is what brought me here,” Beron finished as he toyed with the cloth in his hands.

“I know to be a Gaidin is a warrior, but when I traveled with Maren Sedai, I noticed that Telan, her Gaidin was as much grim as bodyguard. Many times in our travel she would be forced to exert herself to exhaustion, and I would see him take care of the horses or the meal. I guess I have felt like I am learning to be the sword arm of the Grey Tower; yet I feel like healing will help me aid the channellers as well. Does that make sense, especially coming from a warrior born and bred?” Beron asked quietly as he weighed his thoughts.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 20th, 2018, 1:12 am

"Something beautiful to counter something ugly," Gareth repeated thoughtfully as he rolled another bandage. He did it with great care but also speed, since he had done it many, many (many) times. "Yes, I can see that. For the world is about both light and dark, both creation as well as destruction. It cannot be all one or the other, as much as we might like."

He paused to sort out a few more loose, long pieces of cloth between them.

Gareth nodded a little without taking his eyes away from his task. "You are quite right, young man. When it comes to the roles of Gaidin and warders, my wife is naturally the better one to answer, but having been a bonded channeler for some long years, I can speak to this much. A warder, be they Gaidin or another channeler, is far more than a sword-arm.

"To protect someone means much more than just fighting for them. Knowledge of healing and how to care for someone, especially one who may exhaust themselves--as you noted--is very important knowledge. I have no doubt that your training will address this, but you are certainly getting ahead of the curve."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » February 22nd, 2018, 7:49 pm

Beron
Beron continued his talk with Gareth Ashaman, trying without success to keep up with rolling the cloth. Despite his immense size, the man beside him shows a deft hand that Beron knew came from years of practice, and so Beron contented himself with copying the other man’s care and attention rather than the speed.

"To protect someone means much more than just fighting for them. Knowledge of healing and how to care for someone, especially one who may exhaust themselves--as you noted--is very important knowledge. I have no doubt that your training will address this, but you are certainly getting ahead of the curve,” Gareth stated as Beron felt a flush of satisfaction fill his chest. He had been nervous as he’d approached the Infirmary for the first time, worried he would encounter anger or resistance as a warrior from the healers. And instead, he had found this immensely strong man, a warrior’s grace in his stride unless Beron missed his guess; yet with the calling and knowledge of the Grey Tower.

Light don’t go all awestruck, Beron scolded himself as he realized he was regarding the man beside him much as village boys had gawked at his livery and sword when he served. Still if there was a man to aspire to, Beron felt he could do a lot worse.

“Thank you,” he said his voice a bit rough, “I will make sure I carve out the time to learn what I can from the healers here.”

“I appreciate your words, and the wisdom behind them. I hope I am not keeping you from a duty. If there is other things to be done, I am content to finish here or shadow Ashaman,” Beron finished as he looked around the clutter surrounding them.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 27th, 2018, 3:19 am

Gareth chuckled quietly. "Worry not. You're not keeping me from my duties." He waved a big hand at the piles and the still-unrolled bandages that spotted the workbench. "This is necessary work just as much as other things. All of these things need to be ready at a moment's notice. In this place, a delay should not be tolerated."

He rolled another bandage and set it away on the stack. "You are welcome to remain here for as long as you have the free time and follow me in my other tasks, if you wish. I'm sure there'll be a variety in a short span. There always is in this place."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik