An Errand of Mercy [Attn: Dedicated Jaren Marle]

Mar a'Mael: The House of Hope. A place of learning and service for the citizens of Hama Valon. Three buildings - the Museum, the University, and the House of Children - make up the House of Hope.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

An Errand of Mercy [Attn: Dedicated Jaren Marle]

Post by Bella » March 18th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Andraste waited at the gate that opened to the path to take into Hama Valon and then the Mar a'Mael beyond it, which was where Andra had been assigned to spend the afternoon along with Dedicated Jaren. She hadn't seen much of him but here and there, a few shared chores before the...disastrous ball and little since then.

However, she remembered him fondly for that first meeting. He had been one of very few people to make her laugh in those dark first months and even year since the loss of her beloveds.

Now he was a Dedicated, and she was an Accepted. She'd been an Accepted for less than a week now, but during that week since the Three Arches, she had felt something in herself changing. There was something evolving within her and she hoped it would take root and blossom alongside. She looked forward to working with the kids, and seeing her friend again.

She hoped maybe he saw her as such too. Either way, though, she waited for him where she had been told they'd meet...

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Jaren Marle, Asha'man
SC: Mael Akashi, Asha'man
TC: Delaine Taborwin, Novice
QC: Valentin Akashi, Soldier

Re: An Errand of Mercy [Attn: Dedicated Jaren Marle]

Post by Elan » March 21st, 2017, 7:31 pm

Jaren
It was a Dedicated day. That’s what Jaren had taken to calling the days he was not stuck being the Laundry Dedicated. He’d settled into the routine of dividing his time between the chores that made up the penance, and the regular duties of the Dedicated, with relatively little difficulty, and most of the time he had no time to resent the circumstances. Well, on the Laundry Dedicated days, he had no energy to spare, and on the regular Dedicated days he had no desire to dwell on things like laundry or mucking the stables. Overall, it was a win/win, or as much as it could be.

He would endure. A year truly was not that bad. And then… Then he would catch up with his studies, he would do anything it took to get raised as soon as humanly possible.

And then, what?

That’s where he blanked out. He would be Asha’man — some day, he would — and then what? It was still several years away, so many things could happen, everything could change. And he wasn’t sure which option frightened him more; that when he finally gained the Dragon pin, either he or Jaryd or both would no longer feel… whatever this was… Or that they both somehow still did.

And it was entirely, completely useless to worry about either option now. He’d be meeting Andraste soon — he was almost at the gate, where they were supposed to meet — and he didn’t want to act like an idiot around the woman. She’d been raised recently, as well, and she likely had enough on her mind without having to deal with a grown man acting like a lovesick boy. He mentally winced at the phrasing his thoughts had come up with; it made him sound all the more ridiculous, but he couldn’t deny that it was reasonably accurate.

Thankfully he spotted the familiar figure, then, and could shove the other thoughts aside for now. He grinned as he approached the woman. “Accepted Andraste,” he said in greeting as he halted before her and flourished a bow. “How are you this fine afternoon?”

Bella

Post by Bella » March 24th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Andra smiled as she saw Jaren approaching, thinking how funny it was that they both wore their new uniforms--clothing that was not very different from what they wore before, and yet made all the difference in the world.

"Dedicated Jaren," she returned his greeting with the smile, a flash in her dark eyes, and a small but appropriate curtsy. "I find myself well enough, and happy to greet you for something other than laundry." She smoothed her dress over her abdomen and then twisted the ring for a moment before gesturing towards the path for them to walk.

After they had gone a few steps, she glanced at him. "And how does this day find you?"

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » March 26th, 2017, 10:05 am

Jaren
Jaren fell in beside Andraste, adjusting his stride to hers. He wasn’t so tall that it should have made that much of a difference, but recently he’d grown used to practically running everywhere and had to consciously slow down now.

“Exceedingly glad to not be doing laundry today, thank you very much,” he said, with a slightly wry chuckle. “That’ll be on the schedule for tomorrow,” he added. “I swear I exist in a semi-permanent state of frizzy hair and steam-addled mind, it’s a wonder I’m lucid enough to get anything useful done on the Dedicated days. Of course, when the alternative is perpetually smelling like horse shit, I might willingly take the laundry.” The stables were on the agenda again next week. He almost hoped he’d have an excuse to run into Ninya bloody Evoneigh on one of those days. (He hoped to Light he’d never, ever run into Jaryd like that.)

“But you don’t want to hear about that,” he went on, flashing an easy grin. “You’ve done your fair share of that stuff. How about our destination for the day? Have you been to the orphanage before?”

Bella

Post by Bella » March 27th, 2017, 1:55 am

Andraste would be happy to never have to spend another minute in the laundry room, although she knew she wouldn't be so lucky. Of course, she just hoped she wouldn't have to spend as much time there as it sounded like Jaren was. She wondered about that, and about why he was there so much as a Dedicated...but somehow got the idea it wasn't her business.

For now, she focused on the question that he had asked and she smiled. "Once, when I was a Novice obviously, although I wasn't sent to care for the children. Even though I was older than almost every Novice we had, and old enough to be the mother of some of those kids, they rarely gave such tasks to Novices. I was there to deliver some things.

"I did get to spend a little bit of time helping out one of the Accepted, however. I was surprised how many kids that were there." She trailed off thoughtfully for a moment, then looked at him again. "And you? Have you been to it before?"

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » March 29th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Jaren
Jaren shook his head. “Nope, never been there myself,” he said. He grimaced a little. “I don’t really know about… children. I mean, I don’t think I’d be any good with them.” He’d originally ended up in the Grey Tower to avoid being saddled with a family. He had nieces and nephews, both Stevan and Malian had had children by the time Jaren had cut ties with his family, but he’d only met any of them a handful of times and the foremost sentiment he had towards them was immense relief that they weren’t his responsibility.

He idly wondered if admitting that made Andraste think less of him. Not all women wanted children or a family, either.

“I’d rather help with rebuilding, to be completely honest.” Large parts of the city were still a mess, after the fight. He’d heard the M’Hael Zeen had been in the heart of the action, and subsequently spent time in the Infirmary. Zeen could have died. The thought made Jaren’s blood run cold, not out of any particular personal fondness for the M’Hael but… Jaryd had still been bonded to him at the time.

No, that was a useless line of thought. Both Zeen and Jaryd lived, and the bond had been dissolved since then; Jaryd was safe. At least from the M'Hael's recklessness. Whether anyone was truly safe when the Black Ajah could assault the very Tower from the inside like that... was another matter entirely.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 31st, 2017, 1:45 am

That made Andraste think for several moments. She had, of course, heard about the damage done in town. The city had been under attack of one kind while they had been under "attack" of another. It was hard to say which damage toll was the highest, but everyone was rebuilding matters in one way or another.

She had been through Hama Valon since, and there was still a bit of mess to go around. Thankfully, the orphanage had not been touched.

"I do not know if I would be much help there," she said thoughtfully, "but neither am I sure how much of a knack I'll have with children, if I'm going to be perfectly honest. I don't have a lot of experience." She paused. The thoughts that came upon her then would've broken her a few years ago, now it was just...part of life. Sad, but not crushing.

"We talked about having them," she mused. "It never went very far. Chandra had the urge, but I didn't. Two of my brothers have now married and had children, but that was all after I had already moved out and been married and on the road."
Spoiler: show
OOC: Andraste didn't tell him about her particular style of relationship pre-Tower, if I recall, so I don't think she mentioned Chandra. He can catch it and ask, or not. As you see fit. <3

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » March 31st, 2017, 7:16 pm

Jaren Is Confused
Jaren’s mind raced as he tried to remember if Andraste had talked about her family when they’d met before, but he couldn’t recall any specifics. Then again, they’d been stuck in the laundry room, and the heat and humidity really did not agree with him, so he wasn’t sure if he’d remember if she’d told him her entire life story, unabridged edition. But evidently she’d been married, to… someone called Chandra? Was that a man’s name? It sure didn’t sound like it, but Borderlander names could sound strange to an Andoran.

But still… something didn’t add up. The phrasing made it sound as though Andraste and Chandra had been in the same position, and though obviously a man could desire to be a father, the way Andraste said it didn’t sound like a debate between a husband and a wife over something where the one carrying the child should have the final say. Well, asking would probably be wiser than jumping to conclusions; it was not as though the possibility of sounding like an idiot had ever stopped him. “…Chandra?”

Bella

Post by Bella » April 2nd, 2017, 11:02 pm

His question reminded her that not everyone knew her personal history like she did. Of course, it was egotistical to think otherwise, but she'd had a few of those moments... When she had first come to the Tower, she was sure that the news of her personal tragedy would have been spread to everyone. That hadn't been the case, but a little of the feeling lingered.

Andra glanced at him sidelong with a small smile. "Ah, yes," she said. She thought of the best way to phrase it. Not that she was eager to hide anything, of course. She had never been ashamed, but she knew that not everyone...understood, or took it well.

"I was married," she said. "I cannot recall if I told you that before, but I was married to a man named Belenus. A wonderful man, also Kandori, and we took to the on the road merchant life together. Chandra... Well, she was our lover." Her dark eyes watched him closely. "And you heard correctly. I said 'our' lover. We traveled and worked together, and were together."

Now, she waited.

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » April 5th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Jaren
Jaren listened, feeling a little wistful at the way Andraste described the relationship and life they’d led. He’d heard of and met married people who separately had lovers with each other’s knowing consent, but he didn’t think he’d ever encountered a triad like the one Andraste described.

“That sounds… wonderful,” he said softly. To love, and have that love returned, not by one but two partners who also loved each other? It sounded almost too good to be possible — except evidently it was. Or had been. Losing it — losing them — must have been… He didn’t want to even imagine it. His mind went back to the Arches, but he pushed the memory aside. That hadn’t even been real; he’d got out of the Arches and Jaryd was alive. Not so for Andraste’s loved ones.

He glanced at Andraste again. “How does a relationship like that… happen?” he asked. “If you don’t mind me asking. I don’t mean to be rude, I just… It requires very good communication, no? To make sure everybody is on the same page about what the relationship should be?” All relationships required communication, but with more people involved, it seemed likely that that need would increase exponentially.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik