Making Friends (attn: lots of people)

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Leesa
"New Spring"

Making Friends (attn: lots of people)

Post by Leesa » March 18th, 2017, 5:50 am

It hadn't even been a full day since her arrival and already Serain's head was spinning. The trip from her home in Saldaea had been a long one, and it seemed with each league they traveled, the redhead had become more and more heartsick and confused. It had been a long way but it seemed it was over too quickly... Everything had happened so quickly.
She could remember the commander's sneering expression when he told her she would never join the cavalry, because she was a girl. Never mind that following in the footsteps of her father and brothers had occupied every waking and dreaming thought since she could lift food to her own mouth.
She remembered her rage at her own powerlessness, the urge to lash out at the man and make him give her the chance she was owed. She'd been so mad she'd been shaking and then...It had been like she'd pushed him against the wall.
The commander's expression of shock was something she didn't think she'd ever forget.

Everything got hazy then- the next thing she had known there had been her mother and another woman standing over her, saying they needed to leave, as soon as possible.

She understood she was sick. She understood she could Channel.

She understood the words, but it hadn't truly sunk in until they were walking into the Grey Tower and she knew there was no going home. It had been all she could do not to break down in tears. She hadn't wanted this! She wanted to be like her brothers, and her father! She wanted them to be proud of her, she wanted to watch her younger siblings grow up...!

The Saldeaen did her best to put on a brave face, but it felt like the emotions that made her stomach roil were just a moment from throw some sort of childish tantrum, complete with wailing like a she'd been denied dessert as well as supper.
She wasn't sure when the urge to break down became a sinking, hollow feeling like she'd been punched so hard she couldn't even bloody breathe.

There's been a visit to the Mistress of Novices, she'd recieved her 'Whites' been shown to her room, explained all the bloody rules she couldn't break or else... met people, mostly other Novices...but it was all sort of a blur. Once she was given some manner of privacy, she had just lain down on her uncomfortable bed, facing the wall, trying to ignore the burning in her eyes and pretending the blurry wall was anywhere but where she was until Low, when one of the Novices told her it was dinner. She hadn't felt much like eating, but she'd gone anyway.

One of the few things she'd managed to keep in her mind was that there was supposed to be some sort of get together behind the stables just after they were to be in bed. Oh, Serain knew enough it was a bad idea, but so far as she saw it right now, her life had been ruined and she had nothing to lose by going out. At least she could share her troubles with other girls who were in the same sort of state.

Jon
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Laoise "Lee" Arged, Novice

Re: Making Friends (attn: lots of people)

Post by Jon » March 18th, 2017, 7:10 pm

New Novice.

The words weren’t common enough for Lee not to remark on them whenever it happened. In fact, she was sure she was still one of the newest Novices at the Grey Tower. Her journey here had been full of pitfalls, but she was navigating better now that some things had been straightened out. She thought of the letter in her room and of her conversations with Elia Sedai and Saowynn Sedai. The Sisters really cared that she grew as a person as well as growing in her Talents. She was not the woman she’d been when she first arrived at the Grey Tower, but she remembered the fear of being new.

The rumor was that there was supposed to be a midnight practice session mixed with some socializing behind the stables, an event that Lee would’ve avoided had it not been for the new Novice. With the lights in her room extinguished, she peeked her head out of her room and silently made her way down to the Stables.She caught a few other white ghosts in the corridors as she haunted the Grey Tower herself, but she didn’t call out to them. There would be plenty of time to talk when they all got where they were heading.

The scene behind the Stables was one Lee had never seen before. Men in black coats, women in white dresses—banded or not, and others in the uniforms of the Warder trainees mingled behind the Stables, voices low so as not to be heard by their superiors. How so many people could find their way here without the Aes Sedai, Asha’man, and Gaidin knowing was beyond Lee. Then, she wondered if the Sisters knew already and just let them do it. At least, then, they would be able to protect the children who thought they were being so clever with their disobedience. She shook that idea out of her head, certain that the Sisters wouldn’t allow such behavior.

Searching the crowd, Lee found the face of the new girl. She had a far-off look in her red eyes, the kind that spoke of shock and crying. Lee made her way carefully to the new girl, coming up beside her and standing in silence with her. “I didn’t want to be here when I first got here either,” she said to the air. “I manifested the spark, and my family turned our wagons towards Hama Valon.” There was still some resentment in her voice when she talked about her family, but she had forgiven them for the most part. “Welcome to the Grey Tower,” she said, finally turning to the newcomer. “It’s not easy, but it gets better.” She tried her best to show kindness on her face.   
This is Laoise, or Lee for short.

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » March 19th, 2017, 6:41 pm

By the time Serain had made it to the stables, she felt she was stable enough to be around people. There was still the phantom feeling of wetness from her long-dried tears, and she suspected some redness as well.
On her way to meet everyone -and possibly make a fool of herself- she had managed to regain some of her old self-confidence. She'd just spent the last few hours curled up in a ball and crying like a girl not yet off her mother's apron strings. What was the matter with her? What would her father think if he'd known that she'd given in to despair so easily? Peace, she wasn't some silly Southlander girl! She was Serain Kaltorin, burn her!

She was angry now, at herself for her own weakness, and so she kept her own counsel as she at last made it to the stables and made her way behind the building. The smell of hay inside reminded her so much of home it hurt, but she gritted her teeth and just took up a spot where she could people watch til she started connecting faces with names again.

In the dark, it was difficult to make out a person's features, but she was able to track the more obvious movements as people milled about, still keeping silent as another Novice with dark hair slid up beside her. Serain looked over at her ask she spoke, offering words of understanding and kindness. Was it that easy to see she'd been crying? She could still feel the dried tears on her face and she hated that sensation.

The Saldaean was irritated at the kind words- she was fine. She didn't need to be reminded of her own weakness. But...she was aware enough to realize she had to try and make friends. And this young woman seemed to be trying to be supportive. Not that she liked that, it seemed like pity. But it probably wasn't worth a fight. Maybe.

"Thank you." she said simply, frowning. "I was upset earlier, but I'm better now. It'll take more than being away from home to keep me down for long."
We Borderlands are made of sterner stuff than that.
But of course she didn't say that.
"I am Serain Kaltorin." she said by way of explanation. Her family wasn't nobility, or even close to a surname anyone might know, but they were strong, and that was more than enough for her. She was far better than crying in a bed like a newborn babe!
She gestured out to the group of people.
"Is this just for fun or is this some kind of meeting? What's going on back here?"
So far she'd friends talking to friends and little else, though it was dark out and she couldn't see everything.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » March 20th, 2017, 5:31 am

Jesi Molari
A gathering behind the stable? Jesi’s head tilted to the side with interest. There was a time in the not so distant past when she would have been involved in the planning of such shenanigans. It surprised the Mayener a little that the first she heard of this particular get together was a rumor carried by a novice she didn’t even particularly like.

Did it matter who had arranged it? Not particularly. Anything at all sounded more interesting than reading about Bonwhin Meraighdin - and that included serving penance for walking straight into a trap. It didn’t help that Noura had left the Tower rather abruptly a few days before and Jesi had not yet met the new novice who would share the space her friend had once occupied. Loneliness ate at her- and that was not a feeling Jesi particularly wanted to deal with that night.

Perhaps Paks will be there.

That did help.

With a reckless grin the novice tossed her book on the bed and scrambled out of her room, her mind already roaming ahead to where she might find her contribution to the evening’s festivities.

---

Whoever had arranged the meeting either hadn’t shown up yet, or did not know what they were doing. Jesi had already had more than one judicious swig from the bottle that hung from her left hand, and even without much going on, was feeling significantly better about the world. She lounged against the stable walls and watched the group mill, wondering who in their number would choose to take the initiative.

When someone nearby asked what was going on, she pushed herself upright with a grin. “I have no idea what anyone else was planning, but I have liquor,” the pretty novice held the bottle up, “and it has been far too long since I embarrassed myself with a solid game of truth or dare. Takers?” she tipped the bottle back and forth suggestively.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » March 25th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Paks Liard
The plan had been to go to town, have some drinks and see what kind of trouble she could get into for the evening. It had been Paks’ plan for most nights these days, but then she met Jesi. Oh Paks would still go to town, have a few drinks and pull someone for the night, but she was much more easily distracted by a certain smile and smirk as deadly as her own. Tonight she’d been half way towards the Tower gates when she overheard someone talking about a gathering of Novices, and her ears perked up.

Changing course mid-stride, Paks followed the other Novices, but stayed a few paces back. They’d gone towards the stables, and then around to the back side of the stables. It was a place Paks was more than familiar with, as she’d spent most of her time doing chores out here mucking stalls, cleaning tack, or doing whatever the stablemaster asked her to do.

As the Novices she’d been following rounded the corner, Paks hung back, looking to see if a certain rogueish Novice was indeed present. She didn’t have to wait long, as she heard Jesi before she saw her, “I have no idea what anyone else was planning, but I have liquor, and it has been far too long since I embarrassed myself with a solid game of truth or dare. Takers?”

Truth or dare? Paks couldn’t help the smirk as she rounded the corner and leaned against the barn, folding her arms and doing her best to look nonchalant, “Truth or dare was a way of life before I found myself in Drin grey.” She pushed off the wall and closed the distance between her and Jesi before taking the bottle she held up from the Novice and taking a long draw. “I am most definitely a taker, so to speak.” Her lips twitched as she passed the bottle back to Jesi, then looked around to see who else was there, but found she didn’t recognize the other Novices.

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » March 28th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Serain watched as a few others met up with friends. A Novice came up with a bottle and suggested a game of Truth or Dare. In the moments where she was still deciding -and trying to figure out what kind of alcohol was in that bottle- one of the Warder trainees spoke up and took a long drink.
"I'm playing too!" she added, taking a few steps closer so the two could see her better. She was fairly tall, and she didn't doubt her shock of red hair could be made out easily enough, but since they were all playing it seemed just as well.

"And for my first pick, I'm going with dare." she announced with a reckless grin.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » March 29th, 2017, 5:07 am

Firebrand
There’s a sight to make a long day worth the effort, Jesi thought, her smile broadening as Paks took the bottle from her fingers. “Glad you could make it,” she said, her voice low, smoky, yet impishly mischievous. “We shall have to see how your way of life stands up to my tender ministrations, shan’t we?” The Drin didn’t even have the grace to look abashed; she simply smirked and took another drink as her eyes trailed over Jesi from head to foot.

The Mayener turned her attention to the fiery-haired Saldaean who had spoken up. Jesi did not know her, and she had a certain air about her that the novice had begun to associate with those new to the Tower. Today, perhaps? Or yesterday. No more than a week, for certain...and choosing dare. “Oh this is good.” Jesi’s grin was impossibly wide as she pushed her hair out of her face with both hands, her thoughts running wild as she considered all the options. “What’s your name?” she asked first.

“Serain Kaltorin,” the stranger responded.

“Nice to meet you, Serain. Since we’ve just started, my dare is easy,” Jesi responded. “I dare you to drink until I count to five, without stopping or coughing!” She nabbed the bottle from Paks and pushed it at the red head. She knew better than to touch oosquai, but the brandy within should more than do the trick.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » April 2nd, 2017, 3:57 am

Serain smirked at the short haired brunette. She'd never had more than a bit with her brothers, but drinking to the count of five should be something anyone could do. And certainly she could! She'd wrestled with her brothers and been up before dawn most mornings- she could handle a bit of drink.
She couldn't help but wonder where it had come from as she took it from the other woman's hand, though she pushed that thought from her mind. How was she ever going to have any fun tonight if she kept thinking about things like that?

She locked eyes with the woman, flashing her teeth.
"Accepted. No coughing, no stopping, on your mark!"
She lifted the bottle to her lips, waiting til she heard the start of the count and let it spill into her mouth. This was an alcohol she hadn't had before- it was sweeter than she'd expected and Light did it burn! She knew it would, but this seemed stronger than what she'd had before.
The count wasn't too fast or drawn out, but just evenly called out, like a military cadence. At 'Five Murandian' she took the bottle away and sucked in a breath, feeling that tightness in her chest that demanded she cough but she stubbornly ignored it and let out a long breath in its stead. She was feeling a bit flush, though whether it was the drink or the accomplishment she wasn't sure.
"Ha!" she crowed with a grin "Hope these next ones are more of a challenge."
Because of course the Borderlander was taking all the dares.

She paused, pushing the bottle towards the the girl with close cropped hair who had joined them a short time ago.
"What's your name? And Truth or Dare?" she grinned.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » April 2nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

Paks
Paks looked away from Jesi to watch the Novice, Serain, drink for a solid five count. Given Paks’ own constitution, that was like a sip of water, even given the strength of the liquor Jesi brought to the party. Slinging one arm around Jesi’s shoulders, Paks accepted the bottle with her free hand and took a long pull before answering, “I am Paks, and it looks as if I’m the lone representative of the Warder Yards.”

Giving Jesi a sidelong glance, her lips twitched in amusement, though she never quite lost her smirk, “As I said, Truth or Dare was a way of life for me at one point in time. I find Truth to be entertaining, but not nearly as entertaining as Dare’s, but then many say I have no shame.” Looking back to Serain, Paks’ smirk broadened, “And I dare say they are right.

“Dare, if you will Serain,” Paks answered.

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » April 3rd, 2017, 2:19 am

Serain thought Paks was a lucky woman- training to be a Warder was just the sort of thing she'd been trying to do before she'd arrived here. Saldaean cavalry was some of the best mounted units in the world. Not Warders, but her entire life had been getting ready for following her uncles and brothers... But she wasn't going to let her jealousy get in the way of a good night.
"Good to meet you, Paks. Hmmm, I'll have to make this better than I'd planned if you're a grizzled veteran."
She grinned back and chuckled.
"Give me a moment, I'll have to think of something special."

Serain paused a moment, thinking, still grinning. Warder Yards, hmm? Ahh she had just the thing!
"Alright, Paks; I dare you to lick the soles of both your boots!"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik