Glimmer Straight and Clear (for Andy)

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Glimmer Straight and Clear (for Andy)

Post by Matty » March 5th, 2017, 9:50 am

Nathaniel Carridus The afternoon wore on, and Nate squinted as the sun dipped low enough to dapple rays of sunlight through the branches of the tree he stood beneath, slowly practicing his sword forms. A slight shift of his body and the interplay of light and dark ran across his face until he was facing the other way and he could continue his training without distraction.

The Dedicated's coat hung from a stump on the tree, and his shirtsleeves were rolled up in his clothes' constant bid to be removed from his body. The top few buttons were undone (as many as Nate could usually get away with), the hair of his broad torso matted, for the afternoon was hot and he was yet to master how not to overheat like the Asha'man could. Not that this was anything like the weather he was used to in Mayene, it wasn't nearly as hot, but it was a more irritating form of heat when it did occur.

He was mostly focussed on his training. He had sparred with some of the other Dedicated before, but when they had taken off at the end of the lesson, their Asha'man teacher going with them, Nate had remained behind a little long to spend some time alone. His guard kept slipping, and he often left his right side exposed without meaning to. Would repetitions of Lady Luck Smiles help keep himself free from being struck? Maybe, maybe not. In the end Nate had opted to work through each form he knew, slowly, methodically, tense and tiring even when he moved smoothly from form to form. Not a Blademaster by any means, Nate knew his way around a sword well enough to not chop his own limbs off, and unlike a number of his peers he didn't grumble at using a weapon when he could wield Saidin instead.

Eventually a gurgle of his stomach and an itch of his nose told Nate that this was enough training for one day. Time to get some food, he thought as he sheathed his sword and looked up at the late afternoon sky, wrinkling his nose a bit. He couldn't put a finger on it but there was this subtle niggling sensation he'd had all day as if he was going to need a thicker coat, because it was going to rain soon. But there weren't enough clouds in the sky for that. I'm probably dehydrated. Nate grabbed his coat, carried it over his shoulder, and sauntered over to the water pump.

Another lesson had finished recently, one for the Drin who weren't complete greenhorns if Nate remembered his previous timetable correctly. He took a tin cup and filled it under the cold flow of the pump, taking a drink as he watched the group of grey-clad men and women conclude their own lesson. Many of them looked familiar to Nate, not only because he had trained alongside some of them but because he was around regularly enough to note people who were worth noticing. The fellow with the bells in his hair never failed to fascinate Nate, he'd heard it was a Borderlander thing because they did a lot of weird stuff up there, but seeing the long hair and the bells attached never failed to amuse the Dedicated. It made him consider growing his own hair, though he really needed no assistance in looking unkempt.

A few of the Drin were approaching the water, bell-hair boy included. Nate refilled his cup and poured it over his head to cool off some, and stepped back to make room for those who needed a drink more than he. "Evening all," he said jovially, though the polite looks he received were more lukewarm than he was used to. Over time, he supposed more and more people would not know Nate the Drin. Or particularly care. That, or they were bemused at the man pouring water over his own head, as if they had never revelled in the shock of the cold after a hard afternoon's work.

"I dunno about you lot but I'm wiped," he continued, undeterred. He flashed the group a friendly smile, eyes loitering on the fascinating bells in the one Drin's hair. Up close he could almost reach out and shake them to see what noise they made, but he refrained. "Anyone up for heading to the city for some pie? I might even have the coin to pay."
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Glimmer Straight and Clear (for Andy)

Post by Andy » March 5th, 2017, 11:00 am

It had been a long day already and his tired body was getting progressively more tired as time kept ticking towards nightfall. He was fairly sure that he was getting more of the brunt from his instructors than others still, but now for better reasons. He had applied himself, had learnt what he could in the free time given to him and was beginning to break free from the rest of the Drin. Now the pushed him harder than ever because they wanted him to be better than he was, to be ready for the infamous Test. Or so Alrim hoped as his sword lathe shifted, moved, twirled and returned to guard.

The developed Drin, that's what they call us. The top tier might be more accurate he told himself with a grudging half-smile. It had taken work to get there, so much damned work.

Arc of the Moon to Courtier Taps his Fan. Then The Boar Rushes Downhill into Black Pebbles on Snow. It had been that way all day now, form after form. Guard practise. Drawing and sheathing. They were being drilled into the ground with no rest, no water and no consideration. It was like they were being pushed like a battlefield might push them, to see if they could keep it up in future when it really mattered. They weren't even allowed to take their jackets off and they were all, to a person, soaked with sweat.

"Done!" barked the Gaidin overseeing them, "get some rest and for Light's sake get some food and water. Same again tomorrow Drin. This time with heavier weapons" he almost seemed cheerful at the mass groaning that erupted as they dispersed.

It was only as he made his way to the water barrels that he realised how tired and aching his muscles were. It seemed a simple thing, using a wooden sword. Right up until you did it for hours, then it was agonising. He sighed, lathe resting upon his shoulder and feet dragging slightly. The chill wind sent a shiver through him as he waited in line. He pinched the bridge of his nose and looked up to see a Dedicated, one of the few interested in weapons. He dismissed him at first but his gaze came back a few times in recognition.

Where have I seen him before? Familiar...wait...didn't he wear grey? He was a Ji maybe? Or Drin? he thought to himself, it was hard. He knew many faces but few people in person.

When it came to be his turn he didn't even bother with a cup, he merely poured it into his mouth, twisting his head to sate his thirst - it took some time but it made him feel immeasurably better. He let the water flow over his had at the end, cooling and soothing him before he stood aside at the prodding of the other Drin. Just in time to hear the offer from the Dedicated - a strange one indeed, few of them bothered with the Drin.

"Evening indeed, feels like it should be tomorrow. I think they're trying to do Trolloc work for them," he sighed and rolled his shoulders, leaning the lathe against the barrel where he usually left it, "as for wiped, think I'm beyond that. Wouldn't say no to food though, kind of you to offer"

"Alrim Farshera" he presented his hand in the warrior's grip, testing his own theory as to whether he was right about this new Dedicated.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 5th, 2017, 10:37 pm

It's still Nate The Dedicated grinned broadly as he got one positive response. It wasn't as many as he had had before, and it wasn't someone he knew, but it was the man with the bells in his hair and if Nate had to pick one person to get to know better then why not the one who looked the most interesting? Oh Borderlanders. Nate's smile was wide at Alrim's quip - he'd been put through the wringer himself and knew how it felt - and his smile was genuine, easy to come by and difficult to remove. "Great! I know a few good places. Stick with me and you can't go wrong."

The offered hand came in a gesture Nate hadn't used for a while, but he recognised it well enough and he moved in to deliver what Matty now knows is a forearm hold of some sort. Nate nodded in greeting, "call me Nate." 'Dedicated Nathaniel' was far too formal for the man, and who called him Nathaniel anyway? Light, even his parents called him Nate and they'd chosen his name!

The other Drin got their water and moved away with grumbles similar in nature to Alrim's, but they were for themselves and not for Nate to take part in. He wasn't a Drin, it wasn't his business. He rolled with the punches and clasped Alrim on the back, waiting to hear bells jingle like a present. "Alright then, let's get out of here," he said. "If I was one of the Drin I'd come along, it's an excuse to get out the city without getting into trouble - and going out the main gates no less." He smirked, "I did that a few times as a Soldier, it wasn't always worth it but it did make things more interesting around here. C'mon, pie awaits."

Nate walked at a leisurely pace, long strides but slow, a content sigh escaping him as the pair approached the gates. The Dedicated was thinking mostly of pie at this point, which one he wanted and whether or not the Drin would drink enough to tell him why he wore bells in his hair. Borderlanders! He was so caught up in his musings that he almost walked right into the guard, who had intercepted him at the gates.

"Proof of rank?"

Oh. Nate was still carrying his coat, of course! And with it the sword pin. He took the coat with a flourish and showed his collar to the guard, pin proud and gleaming and crooked. "Here you go!" he said cheerfully, "my apologies, it's too nice a late afternoon to wear the coat. Good eye though, good eye." He clasped the guard's shoulder before walking on, giving Alrim a smirk. "Do you get out into the city much? Apart from the fact you aren't supposed to without supervision, but... I'll never tell," he thumbed his nose with a conspirator's wink. "If you do ever come out, you have to have pie from this stall. It's the best, honestly I've never had anything of the like in Mayene. That's where I'm from - the greatest city-state in the land." He said it proudly, as if it was an established fact that everyone was supposed to know.

The stalls they went to were in a quiet square not quite on the beaten track, and the shadows of the nearby houses covered the neat little fountain with the fish spraying water at this time of the day. The stall had cheerful blue canvas covering the top, and there were precious few pies left. In fact, it looked like the portly fellow who baked the pies was packing away, a box and a mule nearby waiting to be used as needed. Though when the man saw he had customers, his eyes brightened and he gave them his full attention, bowing his head and showing them the pies he had left - beef, herby mutton, and a lone chicken with wild spring greens. "I'll let my guest and friend here have the first choice," Nate declared magnanimously.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 11th, 2017, 11:16 am

It took precisely five seconds to realise that Nate was not your usual Dedicated, sour faced and walking around like they had more up their rear than a mere stick. He supposed that there must be some decent ones amongst them but had not had much experience with them, certainly not enough to form any true opinion. He was glad, even as he felt the slap to his back jolt him forwards to the sound of silver chimes, that he had met one willing to b amiable. Though amiable was an understatement he was to learn. He followed in the man's wake, chatting away as if they had known each other for decades.

No wonder he's so tall, he needs somewhere to keep all the merriment and small talk he grinned to himself privately.

"I'm sure you know what's what better than me Nate, full faith in you, full faith," he responded, bemused at his complete lack of boundaries, not that he cared but it was a change from everyone being prissy, "I'd say they just don't know a good deal when they see it" he managed to get out before being propelled along once more.

As they managed to get through the gate without issue, a small moment of pause to show the silver sword, he had that frisson that accompanied the surreal. He must have been a magnet for such moments, for such people. Maybe that was what people like Viktor hated about him most of all, that despite his lack of ambition the decent folk seemed to find him. True enough they also tended to leave their individual mark upon him, each in their own way, but they still spent time with him. Or him with them in this situation. His eyes shifted left and right, wondering what would happen this time.

"Oh I've managed a slip or two into the city. Friends of friends and all that," a smile for the enjoyed memories, "sometimes a life of getting hit needs a break. Never had a pie though. Usually just head straight for the ale" he admitted, he had not explored Hama Valon overly much beyond the taverns and the orphanage.

"Never been to Mayene, never been anywhere but Arafel. Can't say that you're wrong about the place. Maybe one day fortune will favour me with a visit. Until then, I can only say that surely Arafel is the greatest. Still, what's Mayene like?" he responded with a grin.

Soon enough they found themselves there, before the stall and the Light blessed smell of well cooked pastries filled his nose. He felt himself salivating just from that, he did not doubt that Nate was correct about the greatness of the stalls goods. He bowed his head in thanks at the generosity and bent down to study the pies, eyes scanning and finding on that appealed and seemed all but perfectly cooked - just the right amount of crisp to the edges.

"I'll take the mutton and vegetable pi please," he indicated and it was provided to him atop a rough piece of cloth, "thanks Nate. You seem to know a lot about food, almost like you've eaten everywhere in Hama Valon?" the question was in the tone of voice as he blew upon the still quite warm pie.

"Have you also explored the rest of the city? Taverns, orphanage, blacksmiths?" he asked as he waited for Nate to make his own choice of pie.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 12th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Still Nate, oh my The good thing about a pie stall was that there were no wrong choices, so whatever the Drin chose would be fine to enjoy. Nate gave a proud nod as if he was a father letting his son drink ale for the first time, gesturing for him to take a bite. "A fine choice!" he declared. "I'll have that chicken pie there." It was a little more well cooked than the other pies but Nate was ok with this, and he took the pie in a broad palm with the bit of cloth, and patted the right coin into the vendor's other hand. A clasp to the shoulder and that was that - Nate moved away with the pie and went to sit on the edge of the fountain, long legs stretched out as he bit into his snack. The pie was hot enough that he had to exhale a few times, smoke puffing from his mouth as if he was breathing fire, but then Nate got right back to it - he was used to hot food and why wait?

"Mayene is, quite simply, the best place you could ever possibly go," he told the Borderlander. Arafel? What sort of place was Arafel compared to the gloriousness of Mayene? "It's hot, there's plenty of sandy beaches, the food is great, the Winged Guard are badass, the First is the smartest ruler out of all of them, and our rulers descend from Artur Hawkwing himself. What's not to love? I honestly can't see what any other place has that we don't. Apart from bells in our hair I guess. Is that an Arafel thing then?" It wasn't as if Nate was a subtle or shy person, and now he'd purchased a pie for Alrim he was basically in his debt and had to answer all of his questions.

The pie was gone in short order and a satisfied Nate wiped his hands on his trousers, thoroughly pleased with his current situation. Looking around, he grinned and seized Saidin long enough to weave a couple of threads of Air together, making a cloudy cup. With this he dipped into the fountain and had a drink before passing it across to his new best buddy. "I've been around a fair few bits of Hama Valon but there's still places I've not been. I used to go to new places with every visit but then you get to know what you like and where other people hang out as well, y'know? No point in me walking further to get the same thing I can get closer to the Tower, and not see anyone I know there."

Having eaten his fill and had a drink, Nate was in the mood to have a good time with his new friend. He got back to his feet and looked around with his hands on his hips, making a thoughtful noise as he considered their next move. "I know enough good places to know that if you want to go somewhere fun... well...." the Dedicated had a gleam in his eye as he looked around, then lowered his voice for Alrim alone. "You ever been to one of the underground fighting circuits? I don't think they're entirely legal but they're a good laugh and nobody gets hurt. I mean, not seriously. Usually. Or we can just go somewhere and drink enough ale that I have to carry you back to the Tower and take the bells out your hair. What do ya think? Wanna see some badassery, get some tips for the yards?" Nate got into a fighting stance and one-two tapped the Drin's shoulder with his fists, not hard of course. "It'll be fun!"

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Rich taste and bursting aroma, it was a most delicious pie indeed as Nate had promised. He wondered, briefly, how the cook managed to keep the small onions so crispy and hard during cooking but only briefly. Soon enough his mouth was filled with pure enjoyment and his chin was slick with the grease of a well earned meal. Sitting there, next to the giant, it was easy to see how he kept up his jovial mood. He had the right of some parts of life Alrim thought. His gaze took in a few children, coming to bg some scraps and getting a pie to share.

"A generous man," he noted to Nate and gestured tot he act of charity, "will have to come and reward him on day when I can. Good turns deserve good turns" he finished as he crammed the last bits of delight into his mouth and swallowed.

He listened to the description of Mayene, it seemed a nice place for a visit but he was not so sure it was the greatest. He liked the crisp cool air of the North, the way that the air itself seemed to challenge you and pierce into you. The mighty cities and fortresses, the plains and hills. Sea was alright, though he had never seen it himself. Personally, from traveller talk, the giant could keep it. He liked his feet dry and his footing sound. Still, it was polite to listen and he had just been given free food. Manners were manners.

"Sure you're not soft down South?" he asked with a twinkle to his eyes, "doesn't sound like your people'd have a great time up North. Still, I have never seen the sea or the beeches so I can't compare. Artur Hawkwing though...I'll give you him. Strong man so the legends say, knew how to fight" he nodded as he leant his hands upon the fountain either side of him.

"The bells are from Arafel, yes, though the style is slightly less...unruly. Two braids, entwined with bells. And a sword over each shoulder. Many know just those two things. They know nothing of the dances, the horses, the plains and hills. The glorious history of battle and mighty deeds" he grinned and chuckled, he was hardly one to talk about living up to legends.

"But yes...the bells. They seem to be quite popular with people, like they've never seen them before. The women adore them, you should get some" he nudged the man in the side conspiratorially with his elbow.

He nodded at the words spoke again and took the cup gingerly, not through fear but because it was all but invisible. It was strange, seeing the One Power used before his eyes. He was surprised of course but it also amused him quite noticeably. He eyed the man once before draining the rest of the water, substance being felt but not seen. Strange indeed. He didn't need to pass it back he knew, though he did. It would vanish quickly as it came. He wondered if it was a test from the other man, to see how he reacted.

"I think I will have to have a wander around on day, see it all. I suppose that I am tasked with defending it on day. Might as well see how to do so. Never know, might run into some fun along the way," he leant back further, stretching aching muscles, "speaking of which...I could go for some drink and some punch ups. Might bet on myself" he pushed himself up.

"I never was one to be entirely legal, why stop now?" he asked, dusting off his palms, mock jabbing the man back and falling in line as Nate led the way.

"Do those from the Tower fight?" he asked him curiously, he wondered if he would see his teacher Dax there.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 14th, 2017, 2:03 pm

It'sa me, Nate Arafel sounded like anything else that wasn’t Mayene. People said their homelands were awesome and full of interesting things – and bells were interesting, no doubt about that – but they always missed a slight issue. They weren’t from Mayene. They could keep their dances and their horses and their buildings, and Nate would arm wrestle any of their strong men. Mayene was the best, no doubt about it!

“There’s nothing soft about me,” he pointed out to his new best friend, puffing out his chest. “C’mon. You aren’t thinking about competing, are ya? I mean you could, I dunno if I would recommend it personally… but I haven’t seen you fight.” The Dedicated shrugged good naturedly, not caring all that much about the legal aspect, more eager to get up to no good and have a fun time than whether or not he was breaking any rules. Depending on who was there, he might take part himself. There was no reason why he couldn't as long as he didn't channel.

Though there was that irritating feeling that it was going to rain, that he could not get away from. Nate looked up at the sky a couple of times as they walked, making a face at the mostly cloudless sky. It didn’t look like it was going to rain, so why did it feel like it would? Seeing Alrim look at him curiously, Nate gestured to the sky. “I feel like it’ll rain soon,” was all he could really say to explain himself. “I dunno, could just be because I like the rain…” he rubbed his nose. Rain here wasn’t like in Mayene, it was colder and more miserable.

He led Alrim down streets that grew progressively more narrow and close together, houses looming overhead until they came to a part of Hama Valon which was slightly less impressive than everywhere else, a little more forgotten. Nate gave Alrim a pleased look, “we’re close. There’s ale and fighting, the best of both worlds right? Could be some tavern wenches to show your bells to as well. I haven’t seen anyone, er, Tower official so to speak… a few trainees, but never a full rank. Maybe they go to the bigger fights, who knows?”

The idea of having bells of his own was so absurd he wanted to laugh, but Nate filed it away for another time. He didn’t tend to grow his hair, it wasn’t exactly very manly was it? But Alrim didn’t look feminine so it had to look good on some people - and Nate liked to think he looked good.

They came to a small tavern that didn’t look up to much on the outside. But having been here before, Nate knew there was more to it than the dingy interior suggested. He beckoned for Alrim to follow and strode confidently to the back of the common room in a few strides, shoving the door open. It led to a corridor, with muffled sounds coming from doors along one side only. Some were fighting, some were laughing, others were… well, they were sparring in a different manner altogether. Nate shrugged it off and at the end of the corridor a door led them outside.

It was not a large area outdoors, surrounded by buildings on three sides and some tall trees on the final side, an escape route of sorts if there was ever one needed. There was a small fighting ring, some benches, and one of the buildings had a broad window which clearly had a small bar. Most excellent. There were people getting themselves ready for what looked to be a fun evening of sparring, a man taking bets, another organising the pairings for the miniature tourney.

Nate let out a pleased laugh and practically danced on the spot. None of these men were upright, well meaning civilians, but they weren’t scum of the city either. Just men like them who wanted to have a couple of fights with whatever weapon, win some money, have a few drinks.

“you there, Dedicated! Don’t think of any channelling in here,” one of the heavyset men standing beside the ring warned. Nate just nodded his head in agreement, because he’d seen what happened to that Soldier who had been caught cheating using Air.

“Hey Alrim, you taking part? Or do you just wanna sit and watch? Either way, the important first step is…” Nate went over to the bar and ordered them two ales. Fighting or not, ale would help them both get into the spirit.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 14th, 2017, 9:38 pm

He was certainly proud and self-assured, to his credit too. Alrim knew that armies, which is exactly what the Tower was as far as h was concerned, needed leaders. Leaders needed to appear larger than life. Nate seemed to have the happy chance of being large in life. He wondered whether he would be such a leader one day. He didn't know how the ranks changed or operated but he felt sure that the day would come eventually. He could see others being drawn to the man like a banner.

"Competing was exactly what I was thinking of Nate," he adopted the man's mannerisms and clapped him on the shoulder, "if I can't protect myself from Hama Valon scrappers won't have much chance against the Shadowspawn will I?" he grinned, making a mental note to start at the bottom end regardless.

There was a pause in the walking, so sudden that he kept going a few paces before he realised that he was alone. Stopping to turn he saw the giant gazing at the sky with a puzzled frown. His expression merely grew more puzzled as the man talked of rain, he looked upwards himself and saw the same old sky. Nothing to indicate that it would rain as far as Alrim could see. He looked at Nate again for a few moments,

"Don't look like rain to me but you've been here longer" he shrugged, it was a minor concern if they were going to be indoors at any rate, he was not sure why Nate even mentioned it.

It was a short period of time then as they made their way to a tavern, through the back and into the den of sweat, smoke and stale ale that Nate had had in mind. I real fighting space, just dirt, iron and bloodstains. Almost mad him feel homesick. He had spent many a year in spaces like these, he might as well have never left. Laughter and a bar, it was all they needed. He grinned at Nate and as the ale came batted the Dedicated's hand away, placing his own coin down.

"You bought the food, I buy the drink," was all he said by explanation before taking a deep drink and finding it of the 'affordable' type, two cups each, "and course I'll take part. First though, best to watch a bout. See what we're up against" he nodded at the ring where two were facing each other and slugging it out.

"You thinking of taking part? Might mean we face each other. Sure you're ready to face a Drin, we are not so fragile as we appear" he nudged the man and came to stand behind the rows of benches to watch,

Cheers and groans filled the air between the claps and thudding of flesh and bone. The two were bleeding from various gashes to their faces, slowing down into a blow by blow exchange. He raised his eyebrows at Nate, acknowledging the lack of skill or finesse. Even he was better than these two. He had had some formal training at least.

"So the rules are fists only?" he asked a man sat before him.

"You kiddin' kid? Anything goes. Just these two don't know nuffink"

"What you think Nate my friend, they seem like wilting flowers to me. Reckon we could take them for all they've got if we had a mind"

He clinked one cup against Nate's and downed it quite neatly in one, long go.

"So, we're here. But why are you here here? At the Tower? And how in the Light did you know anything about this place?"
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 15th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Le Nate Part of Nate knew it was a pretty bad idea to get into a scrap with the common folk. But a bigger, more excited part of him knew that Alrim was quite right and that they really ought to show the Grey Tower's awesomeness by kicking some people around. Why, if the Seanchan attacked again they had to be ready! What trouble would they possibly come up against, fighting some drunks who weren't even Tower trained?

"Alrim my friend, I was a Drin before I became a Soldier. And do I look like I'm fragile?" The man smirked and raised his drink in a toast, not the sort to complain when someone purchased drink for him. It just meant that he could buy more later, and wash this one down. Perfect. He downed his alongside Alrim, watching the two men slug at one another with no skill, obstinately ignoring the small pile of weapons at the side of the ring. A few shortswords, some daggers, even a cheeky axe, Nate was pretty sure that he preferred one of those to just going at it with his hands. Sure, a brawl was fun and all, but it wasn't quite the same as actual weapons.

"What brings me to the Grey Tower?" Nate eyed his new friend, gauging just how much information he should be sharing with a near-stranger. But it was Alrim, and he did buy the ale, cheap as it may be. He could share with his buddy. "I, ahh, the plan wasn't to come to the Grey Tower alone," he said. "My brother was determined to learn to channel, and I came along to guard him. But somewhere along the line we ran into men from the Black Tower, and..." he wrinkled his nose, not really sure what happened after that. "They took Reuben away, and I was put here with a Gateway. It was like he was a different person with those men." The burly man shrugged his shoulders, "I was supposed to keep an eye on him but I couldn't when he was gone in the blink of an eye. I hope the Black Tower treats him well. The plan was to become a Warder and go find him, but then I found out I could channel as well, so I decided to learn that instead. A brand new weapon." The Mayener smiled, though it was less cheerful than his previous ones. "It was a fellow Soldier who told me about this place. He missed hitting things as a Drin as well, I think one of his old buddies showed it him as well. Good bloke, shame he burned himself out and killed himself."

"Time for more ale? You can tell me your story later."

The two men in the ring looked to have hit one another to the point where they were simply done and the crowd grew bored. Nate looked on, amused, as the self-proclaimed judge went in and pushed them apart. One stumbled back, the other fell, and a few of the other fellows went in to help the man out. "Alright alright, who's next? Any takers?"

"These guys are!" growled the man sat in front of them, turning to point at Nate and Alrim. "The one with the bells and the big man!"

"Tower trained," spoke up another man, grinning with what few teeth he had left. "Make 'em spar!"

"As tempting as that is," said the current ringmaster (they seemed to swap as the mood dictated), "let's see them against some of our boys. Two on two. Come on then Bells and Brute, show us the Grey Tower's teachings eh?"

Nate snorted, rather loudly, and set his mug down. "We'll wipe the floor with any of your men," he boasted, unbuttoning his coat and throwing that aside. "Won't we Alrim? Then afterwards someone had better have some bloody ale waiting for us, kicking asses and taking names is hard work you know." He all but strutted to the side of the ring closest to the weapons, putting up a hand to the calls and cheers and sneers of the onlookers. Up close the weapons looked a little, er, dirty, and he wished he had brought his sword along, but he didn't plan on letting some common ruffian cut him or his shirt up.

A few clouds were starting to gather overhead, but Nate didn't pay any attention to those. He had some brawls to win. He and Alrim between them would make the Grey Tower proud and show just how awesome they were.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 16th, 2017, 6:28 pm

"A proper wilting flower" he snorted in response, clearly a jest.

He listened to Nate's tale as he watched the men beat deepening shades of rage out of each other. It looked quite painful, he was not sure why they were just going at it. Training or not it seemed counterintuitive to just let someone hit you. Perhaps that was the match, to see which one lasted longest. Stranger things had happened, he supposed, he had once seen someone run through several streets with nothing but a chicken for covering, and a displeased one at that.

One more reason that life is but a joke he smiled to himself as Nate spoke.

"I am sorry to hear that Nate, I am sure your brother is fine. For what it's worth if I ever get to the end, to Gaidin, I'll pitch in if you want to go get him," he stated, he found himself making promises more easily these days, he actually meant them too what's more, "but for now, sure, more ale sounds good to me" he finished the rest of what he had and made to turn for the bar.

His plan was foiled by the pesky little bugger sat in front of them, shouting out for them. Calling them out, point of fact. He paused and turned back around to face the sea of faces now looking at them. Some were sniggering too, it was impossible not to stand up to the challenge now. He frowned and ran his hand across his hair, the bells jingling. He was about to speak, perhaps try to ask for a single challenge and spare his new friend but Nate shouted out quicker and he shook his head slowly.

Certainly a man up for anything he told himself wryly.

"Fine, but don't come crying to us when your lot lose," he stepped forwards and pulled off his jacket as he inspected the weapons. They were of terrible quality but he pulled out a sword that seemed a bit less pitted than the rest, "seems like we'll work together sooner than expected Nate. Hope you can still use a weapon" he clapped the man on the back.

Stepping into the ring he swung the sword around, circles to loosen his wrist and get some blood pumping. Stepping in opposite them were two men as brawny as Nat was though slightly shorter than he. They both seemed the fighting sort, scars crossing their flesh and they had smirks of confidence. One had a sword and the other an axe. He noted that and decided to go for the axe wielder, they were harder to fight against and he wasn't sure how good Nate was.

"Come on then," he shouted merrily, "haven't got all night!" he said to cheers and applause.

"Arrright! Bets closed. Fighters make ready! Waaaait fer it! Fight" the poor excuse for a referee began the bout.

Alrim padded forwards, smacking the swordsman's blade out of the way and flowing into an upwards strike that was met by the axe. Thudding metal, a sign of sure disease if he got cut, was followed by further flurries that pushed the man back. When h got towards the edge of the ring there was a shout and he surged forwards, forcing Alrim to sidestep and guide the axe head past him. He kicked at the man's arse to send him on his way. Glancing at Nate he saw the man doing well enough and so, though he remained conscious of the need to look after him, he focused upon his own matter for now.

"Here boy," he whistled and gestured for the man to approach with his fingers, a sure way to enrage an opponent into a mistake, "Bells got a nice treat for ya!" he grinned, that was what snapped the man, he saw his expression change instantly and knew that he had him.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik