First forays can be fun... (Attn Alianora)

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Carl
"The Eye of the World"
PC: Callum al'Thalda

First forays can be fun... (Attn Alianora)

Post by Carl » September 24th, 2022, 11:40 pm

Callum had sought out assistance from various people around the Tower but had only really had a single nibble on his requests to help him learn. He'd been a bit surprised at that, but then everyone else was busy, their lives filled with things they needed to do. Still, he'd had a single person offer to help him learn, and he was not going to let that opportunity go to waste.

Kalyan, whom he'd become acquainted with upon his arrival in Hama Valon, had agreed to meet him in the gardens, to give him a starter lesson, and help him to learn better how to work with the One Power now that he knew he could. Arriving a bit early he strolled along the path that would lead to the agreed upon spot and looked out over the lake. It was a truly beautiful area, and he felt that he would be drawn back here more and more over the coming days. He also noticed a few other people milling about and felt a flush rise to his cheeks when one particular tan skinned Warder in training, with long wavy brown hair and vibrant honey brown eyes, flashed him a broad grin. With a shy grin back, he ducked his head and continued on.

Finally, he arrived at the place they'd agreed to meet, near a large stone fountain in the middle of a crossing of paths. The scent of roses was strong in the air from the flower beds that sat nearby. He sat down on the pearly white stone of the fountain and watched the water ripple and splash as he waited for his teacher to arrive.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: First forays can be fun... (Attn Alianora)

Post by Alianora » September 25th, 2022, 7:41 pm

Kalyan Rihera, Asha'man
Kalyan twisted the Dragon pin on his collar as he stepped out the door and into the gardens. Only a few days ago, he would have been in a lesson of his own at this time, or possibly working on his studies alone. Instead, one of the newest Soldiers awaited him at one of the larger, easier to find fountains the gardens held. Kalyan's task was to teach him how to channel....and the Asha'man wasn't sure how he felt about it.

He hurried through the gardens' paths, contemplating the lesson ahead of him. It wasn't that Kalyan minded teaching, not really....it was that so often, his students simply did not listen. Faced with groups of unruly Soldiers, he'd often had to resort to sending one or more to the Master of Soldiers during what had felt like every class he'd ever taught as a Dedicated. The unwelcome memories of his struggles to get his students to sit down and learn anything from him haunted him now, leaving Kalyan unable to enjoy the fresh air and warm sunlight of the gardens as much as he usually did.

It's just Callum, only one student....he didn't seem like the troublemaking sort, Kalyan attempted to reason with himself as he turned the final corner. Once he did, he saw the man already sitting on it, obviously waiting for him, and picked up his pace even more. The Asha'man sat down beside the other man when he arrived and turned to Callum with a smile. The smile was real; Kalyan liked what he'd seen from the Soldier so far, even if he still felt unsure of his ability to effectively teach the other man.

"Good morning, Callum," he said. "I'm Kalyan, if you don't remember." He didn't really expect that Callum did, not with all the information new Soldiers had to try to retain. "How are you finding life at the Tower so far?"
Last edited by Alianora on September 27th, 2022, 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » September 25th, 2022, 9:42 pm

Callum turned as the other man approached and offered his own easy smile back at his words. "I'm finding it busy, but also strangely fulfilling so far. It's strange, being a grown man, and doing things I used to do as a child, but I see the reasoning behind it." he said with conviction.

It's also strange being so far from anything I've ever called home, or familiar..." he added, with a grin. "It's nice that my first lesson is going to be with someone I'm already somewhat familiar with, even if we did only share a stroll through town on our way to the tower that day."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 29th, 2022, 10:26 pm

Kalyan Asha'man
Kalyan nodded and said, "Glad you're settling in well. The Grey Tower can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it sounds like you're finding your way." Still seated on the fountain, Kalyan scooted away from the other man, just far enough so that he could turn around. Once he had turned to face Callum, he pulled one leg up onto the fountain and left the other leg down, his toes just brushing the ground beneath him.

He could see his student better this way, and gave Callum another smile as he asked, "So tell me, what do you know about the One Power?" Kalyan's brown eyes studied the Soldier as he added. "It's fine if you don't know much about it, or even nothing at all." His smile widened to a grin as he commented, "That's definitely where I was when I first came here. Knew it existed....and that was about it."

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » September 30th, 2022, 1:03 am

Callum chuckled, "That's about where I'm at, honestly."

Turning his body so that he could face the man a little bit better he continued. "I had always known it existed, that there were people who could wield it. There were even Aes Sedai and Asha'man who regularly came through Whitebridge. Some even lived there, but that's about the extent of it. It wasn't until I had my accidental brush with it that it really became a concrete reality for me..."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 1st, 2022, 2:16 am

Kalyan Asha'man
"I can understand that, " Kalyan agreed. "I'd seen Aes Sedai and Asha'men...never thought I'd ever have anything to do with them." He looked down at the two pins that shone on his collar. He was one of the Asha'men, now, and that still felt a little strange to him. Looking back up, he returned his attention to the Soldier.

"Would you mind telling me what happened when you first channeled? What was it like? How did you feel at that time?" Kalyan asked politely. "You don't have to answer me if you don't want to, but I'd like to hear about it." He'd had some students answer without hesitation, but others found the question too upsetting to answer, so he wasn't going to push Callum to respond. Kalyan smiled at the other man, appearing to wait patiently despite that he was asking to satisfy his own curiosity as well as to better understand how channeling had begun for Callum. He idly swung the leg that dangled from the fountain and glanced at the water in it so that he wouldn't be sitting there staring at his student.

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » October 3rd, 2022, 3:11 pm

Callum shrugged, his smile going a bit sheepish. "There's not much to tell, honestly," he replied, glancing down at the water in the fountain.

"It happened so fast..." he started, his voice quieter, and with a tinge of hesitancy. "I was standing near a cart and happened to glance up at the sound of a scream, and clattering hooves. There was a runaway carriage barreling down the street, and there was a group of children that hadn't realized what was happening yet. There's no way they'd be able to get out of the way in time. I lurched forward, stupidly, like I'd be able to cross the distance fast enough, and my hand shot up instinctively as I yelled a warning. There was a surge of power through me, and I watched as a wall of solid air appeared, blocking the children from harm. And then, moments after the carriage smashed itself to pieces against it, the power blinked out and I collapsed in shock..."

He hadn't really thought back to that moment in any depth since the day he'd left Whitebridge, but he knew that for him to truly master his new abilities he was going to have to. He was glad that he was confronting it early on, and he was thankful that it was at least with someone he was already acquainted with.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 7th, 2022, 1:58 am

Kalyan Asha'man
During his years as a Dedicated, Kalyan had listened to enough of these stories to be relieved that Callum's was more positive than some of the others he'd heard. He tapped his fingers idly on the fountain while the Soldier spoke. "Sounds like you saved some young lives that day," Kalyan commented. "Not a bad way to start channeling." The Asha'man moved again, settling sideways beside his student. Both legs hung over the fountain's edge and just above the ground below, and he turned his head to keep his focus on the man beside him.

"Before I can start teaching you, I need to tell you a little about the One Power," Kalyan explained. With a sudden grin, he added, "It can get kind of boring, but it's important, so please, stop me if I'm putting you to sleep. Can't be sleeping through your very first class!"

The smile quickly faded once Kalyan started the short lecture. "So, the One Power. The One Power is the force that turns the Wheel of Time, which weaves the Pattern. There are two halves of it, saidar and saidin. Saidar is the half that women use, and you might hear women speak of embracing it or surrendering to it." He shrugged and said, "As men, we access the One Power differently. We use saidin, and to do that, we must constantly fight it for control."

Kalyan looked into the other man's eyes, brown like his own. "If that doesn't sound safe, well, it isn't. Saidin can be dangerous, but that is why we learn how to force it to obey. You need to understand that before we begin, but please try not to be afraid." With a small smile, the Asha'man continued, "I can, and will, stop you from channeling if I need to." When he stopped talking, he gave Callum a short time to think about what he'd said before asking, "Do you have any questions before we begin?"

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » October 7th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Callum had listened intently while Kalyan had spoken. Ever since he'd realized he was able to channel he'd been thirsting for knowledge like a man trapped in the Aiel Waste with no water. He hadn't wanted to ask just anyone for the knowledge though. He'd wanted to make sure he learned it in a structured way, and not a way that he'd end up having to unlearn later on.

Finally, he realized he'd been sitting, thinking, for just a little too long. He didn't want to appear hesitant, as he was not. Not at all. He turned and flashed Kalyan a smile, "No, honestly, I don't. I learn better from a hands-on approach, and what you've said so far doesn't deter me. I Imagine it would be far more dangerous to someone without knowledge and training. I'd like to proceed."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 11th, 2022, 10:34 pm

Kalyan Asha'man
Kalyan sighed. He really didn't want Callum to be afraid, but the other man seemed to have not understood anything Kalyan had just told him about the dangers of channeling. The Asha'man leaned forward slightly, placing his hands on the fountain to balance himself. Still watching his student, Kalyan said quietly, "It is less dangerous to begin learning here, yes, but that doesn't mean there is no danger to it. Once you learn to seize hold of saidin, you'll find that you don't want to let go, that you want to draw in more, and you'll have to be able to resist that temptation. Hold too much, try something you're not ready for, and the One Power could very easily kill you, or you might live, but be unable to channel it any longer."

He swallowed and looked away for a moment, then returned his attention to Callum. The Soldier needed to hear what he'd just been told, but Kalyan did not like to be the one saying it. "Now, if you're ready.....well, let's get off the fountain first." He slid off the edge and walked a few steps away, sitting down in the grass. "I want you to sit down, close your eyes, and imagine a flame, floating in emptiness. Feed every emotion you're feeling to the flame, so that you are aware of nothing else. Once you manage this, you should be able to sense something there; that something is saidin. Tell me when you can sense it, please, and don't attempt to reach for it just yet."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik