Strawberries in Autumn (attn: Lege)

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Strawberries in Autumn (attn: Lege)

Post by Alianora » December 17th, 2020, 2:49 am

Kalyan
From his kneeling position, Kalyan had to look up to get a good view of the plant he was working with. It was now as wide and tall as if it had been growing in that spot for years instead of not even one day. The Dedicated nodded, pleased with his work, as the strawberries reddened and increased in size. It seemed that the berries had also caught Lewin's attention, as the Drin was poking nervously at one of them. Kalyan turned his head towards the other man, easily making the small additions and subtractions of Earth and Water that were all the weave needed at this point.

He smiled and said, "You can touch the plant if you want. It won't hurt you and it won't bother me." He studied the plant, watching as the strawberries' color darkened to a vivid scarlet. A few were smaller and lighter than the others, and as he came closer to finishing his work, Kalyan searched for these, placing more Earth in the weave near each of the stragglers, influencing them to flourish as well as the rest had. The Dedicated gave Lewin a somewhat absent nod as he continued to look over his work.

He frowned when the Drin spoke of how desirable farmers would find his ability. "Suppose they might," Kalyan said, "but I'd hope not. I don't think the One Power is meant to be used to make people wealthy. I'd rather use what I can do to restore failing crops, or to grow them faster so people won't go hungry."

He shrugged and continued on to answer Lewin's question. "Plantweaving is how the spark showed up for me," he said. "Ma and Da run an apple orchard just outside of Caemlyn, so I grew up helping to look after the trees. Thought I was just good with them, until I met an Asha'man at one of Caemlyn's markets who recognized what I'd been doing."

As he finished his weave, Kalyan tied it off and let saidin go. Then he turned his head and looked up to meet the other man's eyes. "What about you?" he asked curiously. "What made you decide to study with the Warders, instead of...I don't know, joining the army or something to learn how to fight?" Bright brown eyes watched the Drin with interest, as Kalyan really wanted to know the answer. He could remember Dianlinn explaining how she'd been basically ordered to come here, but Kalyan didn't think the Aiel woman's experience had been typical. He thought most of them had more of a choice in the matter, more than many channelers were given, and he tilted his head, his attention still on Lewin as he waited for a response.

Lege
"New Spring"
PC: Lewin Salter

Post by Lege » December 23rd, 2020, 10:18 pm

Bolstered by the reassuring words that the berries were safe, Lew drifted his hand through the leaves of the bush to find one of the fully-ripe fruits. Closing thumb and forefinger over it as he had the one Kalyan had offered earlier, he gave it a gentle tug to pop it free of the branch and began to examine as though it would reveal its secrets. He still listened, nodding a little as the Dedicated revealed his Andoran heritage and the brief history of how his channeling had been discovered. A farm or orchard made sense if those sorts of talents were somehow tied to upbringing, he supposed, and he'd suspected the man to be from somewhere in Andor... although Lew had found his once-reliable ability to discern a person's origin quite disrupted since coming to the Tower where there were people from virtually every nation--and a number who seemed to be from one place but had lived their entire lives somewhere else.

As Kalyan looked at him and asked about his own road to the Tower, Lew flinched, unintentionally crushing the berry between his large fingers. Frowning, half in consternation and half to try covering the sudden uncomfortable heat he felt from the question, he popped the squashed berry into his mouth and wiped his fingers off on the shirt of his uniform. "I had a falling out with my family in Aringill," he replied, pausing to swallow the fruit and give himself a few more moments to figure out how to phrase the rest.

"From there, some business friends of my father saw that I didn't hang around." He shrugged, wiping his hand once more before slowly rising to his feet. "I never considered the army. I was not really looking to fight, when I reached the Tower, just survive. But when a Warder decides to sign you up, well, you try to say no." He smiled, attempting to edge away the inherent wariness he felt when confronted with the past, but a quick glance up towards the sky sunk his spirits again.

"I had better get going. I appreciate the explanations, Kalyan. We've had some lessons on the One Power but it has made more sense coming from the horse's mouth, as it were." Lew offered his hand and pushed away any concerns in favour of a genuine grin. "If the Gaidin ever let me leave the Yard again after this, I'll try to stop by and see how the plants are doing."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » January 12th, 2021, 2:37 am

Kalyan
While he listened, Kalyan studied the plant in front of him and smiled, pleased with his work. He briefly considered whether he should start on the next in the line, but as just as he decided he was too tired for that, Lewin mentioned that he needed to go. The Dedicated turned to the other man with a friendly nod and shook the offered hand. Letting go, he said, "Suppose I'd better get going too. If I don't keep up with my reading I'll be regretting it later."

Lewin's last comment brought an amused smile to Kalyan's face. The Dedicated said, "Don't worry, they're not going to lock you up in the Yards. I have a good friend I met while she was a Drin and I was a Soldier, so I'm sure you'll be allowed some sort of freedom. I'll look forward to seeing you if you ever do make it back here." With that, Kalyan turned and walked away, heading for the library.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik