Sky High

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Sky High

Post by Matty » March 24th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Nathaniel Carridus "It's going to rain later."

Looking up at the sky, it wasn't exactly obvious. There were a few wisps of white cloud streaking through an otherwise blue sky like fingers trailing a line to tarnish the perfection. But Nate could just tell, when he looked to the sky and gave it a bit of thought. It was a slight pressure in a part of his mind that he had never truly been aware of before, but he was more accustomed to it now. There had been a few instances of feeling like the weather was going to turn, and almost a sensation of relief when it did. Nate had had plenty of time to listen to this feeling, sitting there in his room with the small window, hearing the weather change as much as he saw it happen with his very eyes.

The Asha'man on guard duty gave Nate a politely puzzled look. "You've been quite accurate with your assertions of such so far," he said.

"Yeah," Nate shrugged his big shoulders, looking at the window. "I don't know how I know, I just do."

"So today might not be the best day to go out into the gardens for a bit?" Asha'man Tyrill asked, a small smile on his sun-darkened face. Nate didn't know many people with skin like his, Alric's was similar he guessed, but Tyrill was from somewhere near Arad Doman, with the moustache to show for it. Nate knew this from his reading, that the men had moustaches and were fierce. Tyrill was mostly smiles though, in that more laconic way true of most Asha'man of the Yellow Ajah.

"You're kidding me, I've not been outside in ages and I'm turning as pale as a Cairhienin," Nate was already out of bed and on his feet, grinning from ear to ear. "This means I'll be able to get some lessons back in soon as well, right?"

"That's right," Tyrill said. "Before you go though... maybe you should put some clothes on?"

-

One white shirt and some snug trousers later, and Nate was on his way outside. It didn't feel right to wear his full uniform when he wasn't really in training, but it was good to get outside for a spell, and he smiled and nodded at everyone who looked his way. He knew why they were looking, and it wasn't because Matty changed his faceclaim again. They worried he might do something, that there was that monster still lurking within waiting to cause bloody murder if they looked at him the wrong way. Well, Nate was quite chilled out at that moment in time, and he was feeling quite good about heading outside. Even if it was going to rain and he'd opted for a white shirt. (Come on, I have to make 1100 words about Listening To The Wind at least a little more interesting). Not that the shirt colour matters, because as soon as Nate was out on the grass in a quiet part of the gardens the shirt was off, and he was lying on his back looking up at the sky.

Hands behind his head, Nate was pleased to feel the sun warming his skin. It was good to be outside, it was something he had missed more than he realised he would, but now he was there Nate was determined even more to get back to the normal way of things, the regular Dedicated life he had been simply getting on with beforehand. Back to it, so he could get better with his battle weaving, and setting people on fire, and making sure nobody was hurt like he was. There were too many who couldn't take care of themselves, that he could defend in their place. What was the use in being able to channel if he couldn't defend the defenceless?

Maybe it was all a bit heap of sentimentality after what he had endured, but Nate wasn't sure he was going to change his mind on this any time soon. He had already decided to take lessons from Alrim in the sword, whether Bells liked it or not. He was going to improve his fighting in every aspect, to make sure he could do what he had to. And he was going to give him frequent weather reports, to warn him when he was about to get extremely wet in training even if the sky was sunny at the time. That was an amusing thought, and Nate looked forward to it.

In the meantime he had to get the Asha'man supervising him to see that he wasn't totally crazy any more. Nate could feel Asha'man Tyrill nearby holding his shield, and he didn't try to resist. Instead he rolled over to lie on his front and feel the heat on his back instead, stretching his long body out like a pleased cat. Let him see that Nate was a harmless man. A big, potentially violent man but harmless honestly.

He was able to relax in the sun for about an hour before that feeling began to shift. Nate wrinkled his nose a little, sitting up and looking at the incoming clouds. From the west, dark clouds were incoming, and there would be rain sometime after the next bell. Nate shrugged his shoulders and snatched up his shirt as he got back to his feet. Asha'man Tyrill greeted him with a smile and closed the book he had been reading (one of Nate's he had borrowed, actually), casting a look at the clouds as Nate was still looking that way. "Getting rain soon then huh? Looks like you were right."

"Yeah," Nate grunted as he tugged the shirt over his head, a tangle of long hair peeking out followed by the rest of his strong features. "Better get inside, I'd hate for that book to be ruined. What's for eatin'? I hope it's pie... do you reckon Bells will be back later?" He chatted animatedly as they returned to the Infirmary, not really thinking about the weather and what it was up to as his stomach had most of his attention. Still, the cloud rolled on overhead, inevitable and unchanging.

-

The rain came as Nate sat on his bed, legs crossed, eating a well cooked pie of chicken and thick gravy. It was going to last for most of the evening, and it would only let up in the early hours of the following morning. But the next day, Nate would be given a partial timetable to ease back into having lessons, so the storm really did clear up in the end.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik