That Novice is Certainly Not Skipping Class (Attn: Jaryd)

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Leesa
"New Spring"

That Novice is Certainly Not Skipping Class (Attn: Jaryd)

Post by Leesa » March 20th, 2017, 1:50 am

Serain knew it was not a good idea to skip her classes, and it would mean another rule broken, the sort of thing she'd have never done back home. But Burn her, she didn't see the point of what sorts of things a noble could and couldn't do in Cairhien! She wasn't highborn, and she didn't know any nobles from Cairhien. She didn't think she much wanted to meet any either.
It had nothing to do with her or her life. A whole lot of foolishness was what it was, if you asked her. ...Not that anybody did. The Saldaean sighed, leaning against the tree trunk. She'd been here long enough to get used to the daily routine for Novices such as herself, and just long enough to realize she was possibly the worst suited woman here to become Aes Sedai. She couldn't seem to sit still or concentrate during her lessons unless it was something like History of the Shadow, or stories about the Age of Legends and Arthur Hawking.

Even when her hands were busy doing chores, her mind wandered to the stables and the yards where the Warder trainees trained. So did her eyes. She wished she could be doing something instead of sitting in a room hearing about things that didn't matter, or worse, pretending to be a flower. Peace, it had been a month, and still she hadn't managed to touch Saidar. That was frustrating enough, but the lectures just made it worse.
Serain wasn't sure she'd ever been so miserable. If she didn't know any better, she'd think her being at the Tower was a mistake. She couldn't pay attention, she couldn't even Embrace the One Power; what good was she here?! She sighed again and shifted positions under the tree, pressing her hands to her forehead and back into her hairline.

"Burn me, what does it matter what a Cairhienin noble can and can't do when I'll never step foot there, eh?" she grumbled to herself.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Re: That Novice is Certainly Not Skipping Class (Attn: Jaryd)

Post by Sunny » March 20th, 2017, 6:01 am

Jaryd
Jaryd sat with his back against the trunk of a tree and his legs stretched out along one of its limbs. He hadn’t looked down recently, but he thought he was a good three spans in the air. It wasn’t the same as the roofs he preferred to prowl, but given it was near enough to midday that particular locale was not an option. Besides, the sun shining through the leaves reminded him of a pleasant afternoon spent demonstrating Wards with Jaren...and that was a memory he greatly enjoyed.

Shaking his head, the Red looked up and let his thoughts drift whither they would for some time- until movement below dragged him back to the present. He looked down curiously, and saw a woman in white with fiery red hair settling on the ground beneath him. She seeme disgruntled- and entirely unaware she had company. That amused the Asha’man considerably, given he wore dark red breeches, a black sash, and a crimson vest, but then again she hadn’t looked up yet.

Eventually she spoke loud enough for him to hear. "Burn me, what does it matter what a Cairhienin noble can and can't do when I'll never step foot there, eh?" Jaryd’s eyebrows went up. For a moment he considered simply remaining still. Novices were not his purview, and he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Plus, he understood how frustratingly disparate the education plan for the learning ranks could seem to be. What good would interrupting her musing do?

Perhaps a lot. Jaryd did not give himself any further time to think. Instead, he swung off the branch and dropped to the ground. As soon as his bare feet touched grass he fell into a crouch facing the novice.

A wide grin spread across his too-youthful olive-skinned face. “You may never set foot in Cairhien, but that is not to say they would not set foot on you,” he commented. “It is always good to know what the denizens of the Sun Palace will and will not do. What’s your name?”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » March 20th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Serain thought she might have heard the creak of the tree above her, and that was her only warning before a man dropped to the ground from -apparently- above her head and she leapt to her feet with a hissed "Peace!" full of surprise and irritation and scrambled into a curtsey as she took in his lack of uniform. The Saldaean took that to mean the man in front of her was an Asha'man. And she thought she recognized him from what others had said of him; Asha'man Jaryd. For all her irritation at being startled, she counted herself lucky he'd been the one to catch her skipping lessons. He didn't even sound as though he were interested in where she was supposed to be, not that she knew as to why not. But that smile was a good sign?

She tried to erase the irritation from her face and was fairly sure she failed at that- she had yet to master anything close to the Aes Sedai calm.
"I'm Serain Kaltorin, Asha'man."
The redhead chose to forgo the name, not sure if she remembered for certain the man's name and she didn't want to look like an even bigger fool. Serain might well have been staring at the man's less than fully covered shirt. At least she was trying to be subtle about it?
She felt as though she ought to say something more, but she wasn't sure what she should even say. If the Asha'man had heard her talking to herself, he knew why she was frustrated and it seemed a fool thing to say something they both already knew when she was just waiting to get in trouble.
"I take that sort of thing has helped you somehow?" she asked dubiously, after what felt like a too-long moment of silence.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » March 25th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Jaryd
The cool calm of the Void helped Jaryd hide his amusement at the novice’s obvious irritation. Surprised you, did I? Her name was Serain, and her name sounded Saldaean. How many red heads can there possibly be in the Borderlands? He thought. He pushed himself back to his feet and tugged his vest straight, then scrubbed his fingers through his hair to remove the leaves and twigs that had inevitably gotten

“It certainly has,’ he replied. “The Cairhienin rarely stay within the borders of their own nation when playing their games, and the Grey Tower is a powerful piece on the board. You are a novice now, but someday you may be Aes Sedai, and then you will be of great interest to them. If you don’t know how to play their game, they will utterly consume you and you won’t even realize it’s happening.”

He tilted his head, a number of puzzle pieces clicking together in his head. “You have no books with you,” he commented thoughtfully, “and no companions within sight. What has you so fussed about our gamemasters that you're talking to yourself in the Gardens?”
Image Image Image Image

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » March 28th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Serain positively bristled at the idea some Southlander lordling might try and lead her around like a horse being put through its paces just for the sake of their stupid game. If she was Aes Sedai, surely they wouldn't dare! And of course she'd know about it! If she thought they were, couldn't she just...tell them to stop? Or hit them? The Saldaean knew that sort of thing was frowned upon, but how else was she supposed to get through their thick heads?
She didn't think they'd be able to slip it past her, that sort of 'Great Game' nonsense.

Serain was however, embarrassed to have been caught talking to herself. Should she mention she was supposed to be in a class right now concerning their 'game masters'? No no, that would just make things worse for her. Though she wondered why Asha'man Jaryd thought she'd talk to a book. That seemed like a silly thing to do, and if she wasn't willing to go to a class on Cairhien, why would she read a book about in on her own time. In her experience, books were too boring to sit through for the most part.

"I hadn't really meant to talk to myself; it just came out." the redhead admitted. "And I'm fussed because well..."
Blood and ashes, she could launch into a bell-long rant about all that was wrong right now. But how was she going to explain this without sounding lazy or stupid?
"You say it'll help, Asha'man, but I just don't see the point of knowing something like, say what things a Cairhienin lord can and can't do. It's a fool game they play. It's got nothing to do with me, and so I can't keep it in my head."
It went directly in the face of what the man had said earlier, but that wasn't just what she was trying to say. Did it even make sense that she could keep things in her head that she didn't find interesting or important?
"I can't sit still in lessons anyhow, especially not about laws and such about places I may never go."
Her frustration was still evident from the way she held herself, though she tried to be mindful of her tone while speaking to a superior.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » March 29th, 2017, 4:50 am

“It’s got nothing to do with me, and so I can’t keep it in my head.” Jaryd’s eyebrows shot up, but a moment later Serain spoke of not being able to sit still and the Asha’man modulated his expression. The Tower really should revisit its teaching habits, he thought. With that bit of knowledge, he was willing to bet real money that the novice had skipped class. Instead of sharing his opinions or his suspicions, the Asha’man simply took four steps to the right and dropped to the grass, legs folded in front of him and his forearms resting across his knees.

“Let’s try something a little different,” he said with a slight smile. “Pretend for a moment that I am the High Seat of House Riatin, come to the Grey Tower on a diplomatic mission,” he said. “Velanya Sedai has assigned you as my guide for the duration of my visit. You will attend me at meals, answer my questions, run my errands, and accompany me when I go about my business in the Tower. After you arrive at my quarters, I tell you to sit, my servant brings you tea and biscuits, and I begin to ask you questions, all very friendly-like. For example: How are you doing in your studies, novice Serain? Which topics do you enjoy most?”
Image Image Image Image

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » March 29th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Serain thought that she might have offended the Asha'man somehow- Light knew it wouldn't have been the first time she put her foot in her mouth trying to talk to someone. But after a moment the man didn't seem too terribly upset. She knew Daes Dae'mar was important to some people, just not to her. Which was why she couldn't remember it. The knowledge didn't...It just wasn't relevent, and so it never seemed to stick. There was also that it seemed boring as well as irrelevant to get. That didn't help either.
She really was expecting that she'd be told off for skipping her lessons at this point, but the curly haired man -Light she had a few friends back home that'd draw steel for hair like that- didn't even say a word.

The Saldaean peered at him curiously as he sat on the grass, tilting her head a bit in confusion as he gave her a scenario. Her brothers used to do things like this, like what to do when a horse was sick or how to properly approach a horse so as not to spook it, and she'd have to tell them just what she'd do each step of the way. That it was actively engaging her made it much easier for her to concentrate on; her mind was like a horse at full gallop.

First, she'd have to start out with a curtsy, she supposed. A man that was head of his house had more important things to do than invite her for tea and biscuits. She was only a Novice, after all. They did chores and learned things. They weren't nearly so important as to warrant the attention of someone like this.

So just what was he doing being all friendly? She didn't like this. Not one bit.

She gave a low curtsy, the sort she might give to an Aes Sedai, before taking a seat across from him in the grass. But then, the High Seat would have a very nice table and chairs, now wouldn't they? They wouldn't sit on the grass.
The girl wondered if perhaps she should share her suspicions with 'Lord Riatin' like she would have doing this sort of thing with her brothers back home, or if she should act like this was truly happening. The latter seemed safer.
Serain paused buying herself a bit of thinking time by very deliberately picking up and invisible tea cup and taking a sip.

The Gardens might as well not even be there as she pictured the rooms she likely would have had this kind of talk in. It was a little like imagining a gleeman's tale, or the stories of battles her brothers had told her about. She used to imagine those too, when she had trouble sleeping at night.

"I would say I'm not the worst, but certainly not the best, My Lord." Serain told the man modestly. "There is a lot to learn, and so it takes a very long time to learn it. One of my favorite topics is horsemanship; it reminds me of home. Some of the other Novices haven't had much experience with horses and I like to help them when I can. I rather enjoy learning about the history of warfare, too."
After answering, she took another sip of invisible tea and watched, waiting for a response. Just what he up to, being all friendly with her?

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 1st, 2017, 7:51 pm

The Red half-closed his eyes, watching the novice from beneath his eyelashes. He had not expected her to take to the activity quite so readily. Obvious delay tactics aside, the perfect poise with which she sipped at her make believe tea nearly made him laugh aloud. Instead, the Asha’man listened to what Serain said and in his mind flipped quickly through Lord Fenton Riatin’s likely responses.

“Equestrian skill is to be applauded and treasured anywhere,” he murmured in an agreeable tone, “and the study of warfare makes perfect sense for a woman from- where did they say you are from?” He paused as if thinking. “Saldaea? Ah yes, the Borderlands do value such expertise.” He reached for his own invisible cup and made to hold it between his palms, though he did not immediately ‘drink’ from it. Instead, he spoke again, his tone just the right amount of surprised. “But you are a novice now, Lady Kaltorin. There are so many in this world who would kill for your ability; surely your studies with the One Power are more important than warfare…?”
Image Image Image Image

Leesa
"New Spring"

Post by Leesa » April 1st, 2017, 10:08 pm

Serain took an invisible biscuit from the plate. She knew Lord Raitin was talking to her for a reason- that was the whole point of this, wasn't it?- she just didn't know what it was he wanted from her. She didn't think she knew anything important- she was the one learning the important things here at the Tower. Light, why couldn't she just ask him what he wanted. It seemed a fool thing to make small talk when it was obvious he wanted something from her. A favor, perhaps? But he could just tell her what he wanted and she'd go and do it.

As she took a bite of the biscuit, she belatedly knew she couldn't just ask what he wanted. He was the High Seat and she was a Novice; it was rude, and she was sure she'd get in trouble somehow. So they had to beat around the bush like this...much as she loathed it.
"I hadn't said," she added quickly as the High Seat guessed her birthplace. "Though that is my homeland, yes."
Why wasn't he drinking his tea? Why was he just holding it like that? Just to make her wonder? Bloody Cairhienin. Did everything mean five things with them?

She put the biscuit down and made to wash down the flaky goodness with some more tea from her cup, only to sputter as he heard the words 'Lady Kaltorin' fall from the man's lips. While there was no tea for her to choke on, the look of surprise and her minor coughing fit were real, and she was barely able to cover her mouth. Lady?! No one had called her 'Lady' in her entire life!
The Borderlander was barely able to put down her 'teacup' smoothly enough so as not to spill it, trying ignore the flush building in her face. Not that there was anything wrong with being nobility, but she simply wasn't! Should she correct the man? She certainly didn't want him calling her 'Lady Kaltorin' again! It just sounded so...wrong to her ears.

"My Lord," she managed after her coughing had subsided. "I am not a member of any of the noble Houses, though even if I was, I would have to politely ask you to call me 'Novice' Kaltorin, as Aes Sedai tell all Novices that who we were in the past is unimportant after we've arrived here. I mean no offence," she added. "All Novices must learn humility, and that is one way we are to learn it."
This time when she picked up her teacup, she held it, not wanting to repeat choking on the very air she breathed.

"And...with all due respect," the redhead was wary to correct the man a second time. She didn't figure a High Seat would like that all too much. "And this may be due to how I grew up, I see the One Power and warfare as very closely linked, and both very important. I do not think warfare will ever be less important to me, because it is a part of who I am. The One Power too, is a part of who I am. Perhaps they will be one and the same, someday, and I will return to my home and use the One Power to fight the Shadow."

She fervently hoped so. She wanted to go home and see her brothers, she wanted her father to be proud of her. Likely they were, but she thought they would be so much more proud if she had joined the cavalry as she planned. She she'd be more proud of herself, even for as highly as she held Aes Sedai.

She frowned behind her teacup. What was she doing, talking like this to Cairhienin High Seat about her home? Fool of a girl she berated herself. Just stick to small talk- don't get your home and family mixed up in this business.
Would offending the man be worth the punishment if he were assigned another Novice? Or would that be worse? She had no bloody idea, and her head was starting to hurt. Just what did he want from this conversation?!

I'm not a bloody half-wit. I know you want something- can we just cut to it already!?
She sipped her tea again. She'd rather pluck out his beard hairs one by one than sit here talking about nothing. Maybe the pain would make him talk. Not likely, but at least she'd be doing something.
Her frustration was causing her interest to wane just a bit- it was getting more difficult to pay attention. Not but much, but that sort of thing tended to compound pretty fast for her.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 8th, 2017, 4:08 am

Jaryd
Jaryd listened to Serain’s tirade with an enigmatic smile plastered on his too-youthful face. Behind the dark mirrors of his eyes he made a mental note to tell Velanya not to assign the Saldaean to welcome duty any time soon, however. As a man he admired her honesty; as an Asha’man, he feared for the Tower should she encounter the real Lord Riatin. The Red also picked up on her faltering interest; he remained quiet for an unusually long timespan once she stopped talking, until the novice finally thought to look his way again.

“The first rule of the Game is to listen more than you speak,” he said as he met her eyes, setting his invisible teacup aside. “The second rule is to ask more questions than you answer. They run hand in hand, as you can imagine; the point is to avoid giving your adversary anything more than what they absolutely must have.” The Altaran lifted both eyebrows, peering at her intently.

“In the exchange we just had you gave me a dizzying array of information. Even I know this, and I am but a street thief from the Rahad.” That was not true, strictly speaking; one did not serve the Tower as Jaryd had without learning a great deal about Daes Dae’mar. One did not serve and remain alive, anyway. “I am certain a well-trained Cairhienin noble could extract even more than I did, but let’s take a look at the two major points that I did observe.”

The Altaran fanned scarred fingers out, gesturing gracefully as he spoke. “My use of a title was most purposeful. Your response told me two things: first, that you know nothing of the Great Game. If I were actually Lord Riatin, that indicates an unheard of opportunity to learn anything and everything I have ever wanted to know about the Grey Tower. Secondly, it told me exactly how little the Triumvirate values my presence. Rank does not matter to novices, but it does to the outside world, and the Tower chooses their attendants with great care, I assure you. To send an untried, common-blooded novice to attend such a great Lord would be tantamount to declaring war on his House.”

Jaryd flicked his fingers dismissively. “You also told me you are interested in warfare and equestrianism, and that the Tower allows, perhaps even encourages, you to study these subjects. This might seem innocuous enough...but it could also indicate that the Grey Tower is not as neutral as it pretends to be. Are we preparing our initiates for war in the long term? I inquired after your priorities with the intent of learning what the Tower is actually focusing on- and you did not disappoint.”

His gaze grew more intent. “You told me you believed warfare and the One Power are linked, and you intend to use the True Source to fight. This may seem like the only logical thing to do to members of the Tower, but you must not forget that the majority of the Westlands still believes that male channelers are maddened animals and female channelers are Darkfriends. To openly state you wish to use the One Power as a weapon, no matter what you intend to use it against, would have lethal consequence to you. As it is, it gave Lord Riatin every bit of fuel he could possibly need to start an international inferno of rage against us.”

Jaryd sat back and reached for his ‘teacup,’ sipping from it with his eyes still firmly locked on Serain’s. “This is how the Game of Houses works,” he told her as he lowered his hand. “A simple innocuous comment, spoken in the warmth and comfort of your own garden far from the Sun Palace, has the capacity to bring down our Tower. Do you understand now?”
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik