Heads in the Garden - [ATTN: Jaryd]

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Taesh Durlaen, Head Clerk
SC: Avairyana Borelle, Novice

Heads in the Garden - [ATTN: Jaryd]

Post by Kenneth » February 27th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Taesh had gone to the Garden to wait on Jaryd, still storming at first. It was rare, more than rare, for the Atha'an Miere Asha'man to become so riled up. He was so well known for being calm, and inspiring contentment in others than the Tower had given him a salt-name, Calm Seas. There were some fiery Greys, but Taesh was not one of them, the bubbling anger that he felt was not normal to him. He was actually glad that the Master of Soldiers had decided to meet him in the Garden. It was one of the Atha'an Miere's favorite places in the Tower.

When Taesh got to the fountain, a pair of Accepted were sitting on the side of fountain chatting. They both smiled at the Asha'man, until he started pacing around the border of the fountain, making them both rather nervous. The women gave him quick, but courteous, curtsies before making a hasty retreat. Taesh mentally filed away their faces, so that he could make amends later, but he was not yet in a mood to be civil. He knew though that he had to change his mood before Jaryd arrived.

Taking several slow and deep breaths, the Head Clerk leaned over the side of the fountain, allowing the spray from the shooting water to wash over his face. It was cool, and reminded him of being on the Star Song as a child, leaning over the deck as the ship raced across the waters. Memories of his childhood helped to calm that Asha'man down, as he recalled the days events. He was not quite sure where the meeting with Soldier Baryn went wrong, but he was sure of two things. The first was that the Soldier would not make it in the Tower until he learned discipline and someone knocked the wind out of his sails. The second was that the Soldier was no Grey, and of that Taesh was more than glad.

His face and shirt beginning to drip with water, the Atha'an Miere backed away from the fountain, whipping his face, his regular semi-permanent smile beginning to show again. Looking at the fountain, it reminded Taesh of a painting he had seen in one of the Blue Asha'man's room. Only that painting depicted an ancient well, vines creeping on it, the water well past spent.

Opening himself to saidin and commanding it to his will, Taesh began to use his skill in Plantweaving, to attempt to recreate the painting in true. From around the fountain, bright green thin vines began to creep up the base of the fountain. As they grew, the vines darkened and thickened, looking like they had been growing for seasons instead of seconds. The verdant lacework gave the fountain an archaic look, that was pleasing to the Asha'man. It was a wasteful display of Power, but it helped soothe the channeler of the Ajah of mediators, and he stood back, soaking shirt at all, to admire his work as he waited for Jaryd of the Red.
"Reflected in the calm waters is the peace we all desire" Taesh Durlaen Taesh's Tracker

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Re: Heads in the Garden - [ATTN: Jaryd]

Post by Sunny » March 5th, 2017, 7:21 am

Jaryd
Jaryd sat in his new office lost in thought for a quarter bell after Tristram departed. He had loathed being M’Hael and despised being Keeper; it seemed only logical he would also hate his new role. It was another weight to keep him down, control his movements, and keep him from pursuing his plans, after all. Yet somehow against all odds and despite the odd conversation he had just had, the Red could not help but feel….elated. Mentoring, inspiring others to greater heights, and enforcing the peace? Those were things he could do. He had been doing them his entire life, after all, and the pride he felt in the success of those he lead was second to none.

Bemused and feeling more than a little detached from the events that had led to him asking to meet Taesh in the first place, the new Master of Soldiers left his study. Once outdoors he let himself inhale deeply, and tilted his face up to the sun. The warmth seeped into his bones as he walked, and by the time he reached the Gardens he was humming.

It seemed the Grey had found a way to pass the time as well. Jaryd slowed as he drew near the clearing, watching as vines visibly grew over the fountain at its center. They laced together in a manner that reminded the Red rather strongly of how flows of the One Power formed weaves. It wasn’t until they stopped moving entirely and he looked directly at the Asha’man that he realized Taesh’s shirt was dripping water. Well then. That was not a sight he would forget in a hurry...or ever regret seeing.

Sucking his lower lip between his teeth, Jaryd walked forward until the Grey noticed him. Then he simply smiled a greeting, his feet carrying him to the fountain where he crouched to examine the tapestry of vines there. They were stable, as if they had been there for centuries. “This is beautiful,” he said as his fingers trailed over the plants, not bothering to hide the respectful awe in his voice, “and fascinating to watch, too. I don't think I've ever seen Plantweaving performed to that extent before."
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » March 6th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Taesh gave Jaryd a more than passing glance as the First Inquisitor made his way to the fountain. Idly Taesh wondered if there was any position of authority that the Red had not held in the Tower. Obviously he could have never been the Amyrlin; but almost everything else before then. The man who was now Master of Soldiers, had been the M'Hael when Taesh entered the Tower. Although Jaryd did not hold the position now, there was still a level of respect and reverence that the Atha'an Miere held for the man.

Still, Taesh could not help but feel a measure of pride as Jaryd commented on the newly grown weave work of vines about the fountain. Plantweaving had it's practical uses, in helping to grow food and medicinal herbs, and Taesh had used the Talent defensively as well, which was not to his liking. However it was this use, to do nothing but bring or enhance beauty, that Taesh most loved about the Talent.

"It has been a bit of a mystery to me how someone born to the sea would discover a Talent like this" Taesh said as he stepped closer to the fountain and Jaryd. "I tend to wonder how useful I could be on the Star Song now, even with all I know, my gifts do not seem fit for the open ocean. It is well that I am moored to the Tower."

The Atha'an Miere looked at the vines over the crouching Altaran with a bit of a discerning eye. Jaryd was right in his assessment that the vines looked as if they had been growing for generations over the fountain, but the Head Clerk was still not quite satisfied with the working. He knew there was more to Plantweaving that he had yet to discover, and it sometimes annoyed him that his learning seemed to be slow going.

"Of everything that I can do, that the Tower has taught me to do, this I enjoy the most. I fear the gardeners do not appreciate my artistic touches, more than one nicely worded complaint has found it's way to my door. This though, it brings me a peace, almost as much as listening to sea does."
"Reflected in the calm waters is the peace we all desire" Taesh Durlaen Taesh's Tracker

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » March 27th, 2017, 6:26 am

Jaryd looked up at the Atha’an Miere man, surprised by his tone. Taesh seemed to have settled a bit from his encounter with Tris and the quiet pride when he spoke of his Talent seemed unshakable and solid. Perhaps this conversation need not go the way I expected, the Red thought, and was surprised to feel a touch of relief. He hadn’t realized he considered the Grey a friend.

“It doesn’t seem such a great surprise to me that a seafaring man would have a Talent with growing things,” the Altaran commented thoughtfully. “I was born in Ebou Dar. I am certain you have been there and are aware of the canals, yes?” He smiled. “In the city proper they were well-maintained and clean, but on the other side -in the Rahad- they were neglected and ignored for various reasons that are irrelevant.” Lack of funding, lack of caring, lack of safety for work crews...the list went on. “Sometimes in the heat of summer the water in the narrower canals would drain away completely to reveal the most amazing collection of strange plants growing in the mud and stones beneath. They were more like moss than vines, but the colors rivaled the Tower Garden in springtime.”

He paused, realizing exactly how many words had just poured out of his mouth. I suppose everyone likes to speak of home. The thought was wistful; he quickly pushed it away. “The sea is filled with as much life as the land,” he finished, “it is simply less visible. Can you imagine what kelp could do to a ship with the assistance of Plant Singing and an angreal?” Light, but that would be a sight to see!
Image Image Image Image

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » March 31st, 2017, 2:32 pm

Taesh tilted his head as he gave Jaryd a contemplative look. What the Red said did make some sense, water was the source of life, and plants were probably the most abundant type of life, so the two should go hand in hand. He had never really thought about it like that, but now that the connection was made, Taesh was happy. It had sometimes been a cause of distress for him that, being born to the sea, his Talents were not what he thought they would've been. He was even willing to bargain that his parents thought he would become a male Windfinder. So far though, his ability with Cloud Dancing was juvenile at best, he had to work at the Talent, it didn't come natural to him like Plantweaving or Scyring did. The thought of using the vine like kelp made the Atha'an Miere smile and then laugh.

"I can only imagine the conversations that the Mistress of the Ships would have to oversee when Sailmistresses start having their Windfinders anchor the competition to the seafloor with seaweed." Every Sailmistress wanted to be Wavemistress, and they wanted to be elected to be the Mistress of the Ships. The easiest way to take your competition out of the running would be to stop her ship from making runs, and therefor gaining prestige through bargains. Taesh thought it might be a good thing that no Windfinder had shown a propensity for the Plantweaving Talent, probably because no one on the sea thought much about the seafloor.

The Head Clerk took a few steps closer to the fountain, looking into the basin of it and the water rippling there. He was back to his normal self, all warmth and contentment, the smile on his face genuine and inviting as it usually was. Still, the First Inquisitor had asked to meet, so Taesh was ready to begin a conversation he did not necessarily want to have.

"So, I am willing to bargain that you did not ask me to meet you here to see me make pretty flowers or stare at my pretty face" he began giving a mischievous grin. "How did things fare with the stormy Soldier?"

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 4th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Jaryd grinned up at the Grey, then pushed himself upright. He folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the fountain, taking care not to crush the vines there. An Atha’an Miere man would immediately turn to negotiation and bargains, wouldn’t he? “You might find yourself on the losing end of that bargain,” he said lightly, his lips twitching up. “Perhaps I wished to stare at your face and discuss Tristram Baryn.” Both of them had fine faces to look at, after all.

The Red shook his head at himself, shifting to the topic at hand. “Stormy is accurate,” he admitted, going over his meeting with the soldier in his mind. “Tris and I spoke at length on topics ranging from your encounter, to the nature of leadership, to the purpose of my Ajah... I am not sure, but I think he enjoyed guiding the conversation more than he enjoyed the conversation itself.”

Dark eyes slid sideways to look at the Grey. “He definitely enjoyed prodding at the boundaries of my restraint,” the Asha’man said carefully, “but he is not so good at the Game that I didn’t recognize his efforts to rile me. Our discussion was a verbal spar and I have no doubt there will be many more before us in the future before he learns restraint. What surprises me is that he succeeded at getting a reaction from you. I have never seen you lose your temper before, Taesh; why start with him?”
Image Image Image Image

Kenneth
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Kenneth » April 5th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Taesh gave Jaryd a surprised look, filing away that response to ponder over at a later time. Perhaps the Atha'an Miere wouldn't be admiring the First Inquisitor from such a distance anymore. The Grey Asha'man rarely got to see Jhanic anymore, and he was craving even platonic companionship. There was only so much enjoyment that he could get out of his interactions with Avyra. The two of them were so different, and there was no physical attraction there. These were thoughts he would contemplate later, probably in a different portion of the garden that needed his Talent-born attentions.

As the Head Clerk continued to listen to the Altaran his contemplations turned toward the thundercloud of a Soldier and how things had turned out. It did worry Taesh some, how quickly things had shifted to the sour. He was known for keeping a cool head, in fact he was known for being one of the more approachable and amicable Asha'man, if not of all the fully ranked members, of the Grey Tower. He prided himself on that fact, yet Soldier Baryn had caused him to react in a way that was completely not normal.

"This place, rooted to the ground it may be, but the storms that have hit this Tower..." Taesh said as he leaned against the fountain. "When I was on the Star Song, I knew a thing or two about toeing the line; and I daresay the Tower comes in second to being strict on following the rules and knowing your place when compared to a clan Ship. I've yet to see a Sailmistress tolerate any kind of foolishness on her ship. Even my own mother strapped me to the mast a time or ten." A brief grin of remembrance tinged with only the slightest bit of longing crept across Taesh's face as he continued.

"I understand wanting to stretch outside of what you have been told you can and cannot do; but I have grown, that has been tempered here. Never in all my days on the sea would I have imagined anything like the Seanchan attack. Or worse yet, the attack on the children's quarters." That was still a sore spot for Taesh. Not only for the heinous act, but also because he could never believe that it was Mirin Sedai who committed it, or had been a member of the Black.

"I know now Jaryd, as much as those old stiff winds on the ships said it, I know it to be true; that these rules are for a reason. During the Seanchan attack, I found myself with a group of other Dedicated and Accepted, with some Drin, Novices, and Soldiers. We were trying to stop a beast, and one of the Dedicated threw a weave that was too advanced for him, something I had never seen that nearly killed one of the Drin. Baryn reminded me of that Dedicated, someone who would do what they please because they please. He swore me to be judging him because he was of noble birth, but only a land-born noble could be that smug and that ignorant."

Taesh found his breath coming in hard as he remembered the event and began to feel angered all over again. He did not know why, but something about Baryn's attitude still irritated him. "He is no Grey" Taesh was finally able to get out. "How can you achieve lasting peace but recognize no rules but your own?"

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 14th, 2017, 10:41 pm

The Altaran’s slender fingers drummed a steady rhythm on his upper arms as Taesh spoke. What he said fit rather well into Jaryd’s own perception of his encounter with the lordling. He had understood and agreed with Tristram’s spoken thoughts on leadership, but then the Andoran had not been interested in pursuing the matter further. In truth, Jaryd found himself wondering whether Tristram had wanted to converse with either of them at all, or simply prod for their limits..

The Sea Folk man fell silent, and Jaryd shook his head slowly, face thoughtful. “You need not worry about the Grey, Taesh,” he said, his tone thoughtful. “Tristram has already been at the Tower for several years, and it will be at least that many again before I would deem him ready for testing. Once he wears the sword pin I suspect other Ajahs will pull his attention.” The Red seemed entirely too likely, a thought that caused Jaryd some trepidation. There was equal opportunity for great success or dismal failure there, and it was far too soon to tell which one. “It is...also possible that the Pattern will take him in another direction entirely,” he said finally. “Not all are cut out for this life, after all. I will watch over him and hope he finds his way.”

The Asha’man dropped one arm, fingers trailing in the cool water thoughtfully. “You could say I make my own rules,” he said finally, his tone indicating a slight shift in topic. “My ideas of right and wrong do not necessarily align with Tower Law, and when I find that they differ, my views will always take priority. I take great care, however, to ensure that I am not taking actions for my own selfish purposes. I think self-serving actions are what truly concern you; is that accurate?”
OOC: Since Cat left the site (and thus the subject of Tris’ future is moot until / unless Elan pushes him forward as a PSC) I’d like to either shift the topic away from him or close this particular thread and start a new one. Is that cool with you?
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik