A Merry Jaunt (Open To All)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Jake
"New Spring"
PC: Jakob Su Salza

A Merry Jaunt (Open To All)

Post by Jake » June 26th, 2018, 3:20 am

As a leading member to a minor Noble house in Cairhien, Sergeant Jakob Su Salza hardly noticed the decorations provided to him in the past two weeks since he'd become a Sergeant in the Guard. If anything, he felt back in his comfort zone. Leading men was something he had been trained for since birth, and he held no small amount of experience.

In his discussions with the Captain of the Guard, his answers had seemed to please the man rather quickly. It was clear Jakob's potential would have been wasted as another rank and file member, and his leadership skills leaned toward the firmer side. Something his fellow officers did not typically approve of. They would get over it, he knew. Soldiers who had been left to their own devices too long got lazy and cut corners. When someone stepped in and made them work, they whined for days before extra duty and laps around the city made them realize it wouldnt help.

There was always paperwork to do as a soldier or guardsman both, and Jakob now sat in his small corner office in the barracks doing just that. It was grueling and brain numbingly dull at times, but it had to be done.
It takes a special type of gift to value evil.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: A Merry Jaunt (Open To All)

Post by Roan » July 2nd, 2018, 5:22 pm

Bastian
There was a distinct difference between the Tower and Hama Valon Guard and those who trained in the Warder Yards. While Drin, Ji’val and Gaidin would defend Hama Valon, their duty was to the Tower, and for those bonded Gaidin, their priorities were their Wards. The training those in the Yards were put through was more intense than most militia or city guard would experience. It was partly because of this, and also to keep good will between those who helped protect the Tower and the city of Hama Valon that learning ranks were often paired with the City Guard to help with patrols.

Bastian headed towards one of the barracks of one of the City Guard with a sealed envelope in hand. The Mistress of Training tasked him with working with the Guard for the evening. His peers teased him, telling him it would likely be a night full of dealing with drunkards and perhaps the occasional Drin or other first rank who snuck out without a chaperone.

Asking around for the sergeant, the Ji’val was directed towards a small back office. Bastian knocked and waited for the man to look up. When he did, the large Ji’val stepped in and handed the man an envelope, “Sergeant, the Mistress of Training asked me to give this to you. . .she said it was orders for me to work with you for the evening?”

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » July 2nd, 2018, 10:28 pm

Looking up with a vague expression of confusion, Jakob Su Salza narrowed his eyes at the large man entering his barrack. When the man approached and handed him a letter with the seal of the Grey Tower, he did not bother with asking questions. He simply took the letter with a casual glance at the soldier before him, then directed his attention to the paper. Thumbing open the seal, Jakob read through it quickly. After only moments, he looked up from the letter and gave the up-and-coming warder a more thorough sizing up. He leaned back in his chair, the letter held limply in his hands as he spoke.

"I'm to ensure you work alongside the guard, but she leaves the capacity up to me." He tapped the bottom of the letter on his desk idly, making a great show of thinking hard on what to do with him. "Ji'val Bastian, I've need of a strong young man such as yourself. But I would first ask you some questions." Jakob stood up and walked around his desk to sit on the side, facing the Ji'val. "What do you see as your duty here in Hama Valon? Would you be a stalwart defender of her people, or would your Aes Sedai take priority over all others?"

Roan

Post by Roan » July 3rd, 2018, 12:22 am

Bastian allowed a small smile, “I am merely a Ji’val, and as such, I am unbonded, thus my duty is to the Tower, first and foremost. The Tower, though, and those within its walls will protect the citizens of Hama Valon.” He realized it was a fair question for the man to ask, but surely those who protected Hama Valon would know where the loyalties of those from the Warder Yards would lay?

Tilting his head slightly, Bastian continued, “If I were bonded. . .either to an Aes Sedai or Asha’man, then my duty would be to them. Gaidin train to serve their Wards and would die for them if it were necessary to ensure the Channeler survives.”

The Ji’val furrowed his brows, “I’ve been assigned to you for the evening, and since I am not bonded, my priority for the evening is to assist you as needed.”

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » July 3rd, 2018, 12:38 am

Jakob nodded thoughtfully at Bastian's response, his eyes scanning for any subtleties in the way he spoke. After a brief moment of silence, the Sergeant spoke again, almost speculatively. "A practiced answer, it seems. Though not entirely wrong. And forgive me Ji'val if I misspoke, but I did not mean to imply you were bonded. I ask for the future. Surely a smart lad like yourself will be bonded quickly, but my job today is not to make you work, although you will."

Jakob paused as he stepped back off his desk and snatched his belt and sword from behind his stout wooden chair. "This posting is just another part of your training. We'll call it a dry run. Come. We shall look over the duty rosters and see who will need our help today. May the creator shelter them in his palm if I hear a word of complaint about getting backup." That last was a gruff rumble, as though he were already picking up habits from grizzled veterans. If he thought about it, he likely was.

Roan

Post by Roan » July 3rd, 2018, 3:39 am

The Ji’val arched a brow at the Sergeant’s response to his answer. In his mind, it wasn’t so much a practiced answer as it was the answer. Resting his hands on the axes resting on each hip, Bastian shrugged slightly, “I hope to be put to use while I’m here for the day and evening. I’m not afraid of work. . .hard or otherwise.”

Bastian followed Jakob, watching as the man donned his sword belt. “What is a typical day and shift like for you and your men, sergeant?”

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » July 4th, 2018, 4:28 am

"Everyday brings something new, Ji'val. But something I hope to impress upon you before you leave here today is that these people, the guard, are just as important as your Aes Sedai will be." Jakob explained as he led the way from the barracks. He was still adjusting his belt as they walked, but he spoke with a surety and confidence in the matter.

"Oh sure, they may not make thrones dance to their tune, or shoot balls of fire from their hands, but these men are yours. That makes the difference, Ji'val. When the city is under attack, it will be the Warders and their Aes Sedai the men look to. It will be up to you to make sure the Aes Sedai themselves don't forget about the little guy." They soon rounded a corner into the main offices where guardsmen were milling about, some still putting on bits of extra armor and chatting.

Jakob's sudden bellow was a sharp contrast to his low voice when talking with Bastian. "Form up, you gutless waste! Fall in!" Sure enough, the soldiers practically jumped out of their skins trying to to do as ordered. In short order Jakob was passing out assignments from a thick stack of papers on the lead desk. He did not hesitate when he finally walked past Bastian and handed the man an assignment order.

"AWOL." The header was easy to read even at a distance. "Hama Valon Arrest Warrant."

Roan

Post by Roan » July 12th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Before coming to the Tower, Bastian heard stories of Aes Sedai waltzing into a city and making its leaders dance whenever she might say dance. He knew those to be rumors, though some rumors were based in truth, yes? Those he’d interacted with didn’t seem to fit the reputation laid out in rumors, nor did they seem to fit the reputation they had in the eyes of the Sergeant. The Ji’val debated clarifying to Jakob, but opted to hold his tongue. Perhaps see how the others talk of the Tower and its residents first before snapping to judgement.

Taking the slip of paper in hand, Bastian read over the orders before looking up at Jakob, “Someone has gone AWOL and a warrant was issued for his arrest? Do you know this person?” He wondered how often the guard had problems with people going AWOL. It happened at the Tower. . . sometimes Drin or Ji’val would walk away, deciding the life wasn’t for them, but rarely would the Tower track them down. It was different for those who could channel. . .they’d be tracked down for their own good.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » July 13th, 2018, 6:33 am

"Yes, I know him." Jakob replied after the last paper assignment was handed out. People were shuffling out of the small briefing room, giving them a bit of privacy. "He's a lesser known Drin who is attempting to hide at an Inn near the East gate. It seems a certain Aes Sedai had her eye on him, and would very much like the lad returned. Problem is, he isnt alone." The sergeant hesitated, eyeing Bastian carefully to let it sink in how dangerous this was.

"The Drin, one William Gerveil, was last seen with a female we believe to be a maid from the Tower. By all reports, she does not want to be with him." Jakob looked to his gauntlet, tinkering with the cuff and trying to gather his thoughts. "Perhaps he is evil, or maybe hes mad, I care not which. The Aes Sedai who ordered this demanded, quite rudely, might I add, that the Drin's safety was priority over anything else."

He hesitated, finally putting it in the open. "My only concern, and therefore your only concern, should be that girls safe return. Can I count on you to do the right thing? Will you keep a better judgement than blind orders and an Aes Sedai's word? Because when things go south, and they will, you may have to choose. Let the boy go, and save a life, or do as ordered, and risk him hurting an innocent girl."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik