All Work and No Fun Make Paks a . . .dull girl [Attn: Bella and Nat]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

All Work and No Fun Make Paks a . . .dull girl [Attn: Bella and Nat]

Post by Roan » May 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Paks
Certain things happened like clockwork in the Yards. For instance, Riahana Gaidin could always be found in her usual spot before first bell, going through her sword forms for a hour to an hour and a half each day. For those new to the Yards, seeing Paks Liard working against a practice dummy with two daggers in hand was also common-place. She tended to start after the lunch break, and continue to work through move after move until she had to go to her class on historical battles and tactics.

Paks was in her usual place, and her target dummy was showing a bit of wear and tear due to her abuse. Today, Historical Battles was canceled, and since she didn’t have class, she figured she’d just continue practicing. Sweat trickled down her temple and down her neck. The day was warm enough that she’d taken off her jacket before she started practicing.

Planting her foot, Paks twisted and slammed her practice blade into the dummy’s torso before turning and thrusting her other practice blade into the back of the dummy. Whether or not such a move could happen during a real fight wasn’t certain, but it seemed a natural progression, and so she went with it.

Stepping away from the practice dummy, Paks paused to catch her breath. Looking off to the side, she saw a bucket of water with ladle hanging off of the fence near her jacket. Wiping sweat from her brow, she let go a big sigh as she moved to the bucket to grab a drink.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: All Work and No Fun Make Paks a . . .dull girl [Attn: Bella and Nat]

Post by Bella » May 25th, 2018, 11:50 pm

It was like the watching a repeat of the past, right in front of her eyes...only this time, Natlya wasn't Nat. She was...Terric?

Bloody, flaming, wooldheaded Aiel...

She stopped herself right there because it was a useless line of thoughts, and a path that she had walked way too often over the past months. For now, she had someone she was worried about, because she knew what she was seeing. Nat had done the same bloody thing after she lost Morgan.

Whatever...awkwardness there might have been with the two of them was long gone, and now Natlya just saw another citizen of the Warder Yards who was in pain. A lot of pain.

Chasing someone into the grave.

"You should take a break," the redhead said casually as she approached the water bucket where Paks was drinking some water after quite the workout on the poor training dummy.

Roan

Post by Roan » May 26th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Paks
“You should take a break,” a familiar voice called from her left.

Paks dropped the label in the bucket after she took a drink, and looked to the owner of the voice. Memories of a stolen kiss before the redhead apologized and disappeared into the night came to the forefront of Paks’ mind. It wasn’t long after that Paks met Jesi and her life seemed changed forever.

At another time, the Ji’val might have made an inappropriate quip to Nat, but that other time seemed like a long time ago. She wiped her brow again, and looked to the practice dummy, “I could. . .or I could keep working and make up for all the time I slacked off when I was a Drin.”

Maybe if I’d not spent so much time in the Tavern, I’d have been able to do something. . .anything to save Jesi and stop Ninya.

Running a hand through her short-cropped hair, she shook her now sweat soaked fingers before picking up her practice daggers once more. She spared a glance to Nat as she stepped over to the dummy once more. “Some would say I’ve spent too much of my time taking breaks and not enough doing the work,” she added as she started going through a series of slashes, thrusts and strikes.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 26th, 2018, 9:58 pm

"Perhaps," Natlya said casually. Given her own history, she wasn't one to let herself or anyone else escape their pasts. From all she'd heard and seen, this woman had spent more time not working than working. There was a difference here, though, and Natlya knew it. The parallels continued to flow, and it was unnerving.

She moved a little closer, so she didn't have to speak so loudly, but not close enough to get inadvertently in the way.

Nat took a deep breath and let it out slow. "But there's a difference between making up for lost time, making up for lost love, and killing yourself. I can see you're pushing a little too far into that latter." She held up her hand to forestall response. "How can I tell? Because quite literally, just a few years ago, I was the one at that bucket. Working myself to the ground. And someone else was telling me to take a break.

"I know what it looks like," she said with a wry smile.

Roan

Post by Roan » May 27th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Paks
The Ji’val paused her attacks on the dummy and looked over to Nat. She remembered seeing Nat work herself into the ground, and remembered trying to distract her from whatever it was that had gotten her into a frenzy. That distraction led to a kiss, though it also brought the evening to an abrupt halt, which wasn’t what the then Drin was going for.

It wasn’t long after that night, though, that she saw Natlya and Terric Gaidin starting to spend time together.

Paks tried to think of a counter to Natlya’s argument, but the Gaidin’s logic was too sound. Paks slumped her shoulders as she looked away and shook her head, “This keeps me from thinking too much, from. . .replaying that day over and over. Too much time to my own thoughts is…” The Ji’val trailed off, letting go a sigh, “Well, I’m sure you can imagine.

“A break means too much time to think,” she added, realizing she was repeating herself. She flipped the practice daggers in her hands without really thinking about it. She hadn’t returned to Hama Valon since losing Jesi, nor had she touched a drop of alcohol. There was a part of her that longed to lose herself in the oblivion of being drunk, but also knew it wouldn’t really solve anything.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 28th, 2018, 3:29 pm

"I know," Natlya said kindly. "I watched Morgan dragged away and he killed himself in the process of taking out the enemy, but it wasn't nearly enough to take out the enemy all around us. And I couldn't protect him. I was training to be a bloody Gaidin, and I couldn't protect the one I loved best in this world."

She tilted her head. "Sounds familiar, I imagine. But I was told, and eventually came to realize it was true, that killing myself would not make me better at protecting others. Nor would it honor Morgan's memory.

"Getting drunk didn't do much for me either, but getting away from the Tower for a little bit did." Her lips curved into a rueful half-smile. "I recall you being among those trying to convince me as such. And you were right back then, just like I'm right now. Your love would want you to live, not follow her to the grave."

Roan

Post by Roan » May 28th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Paks
‘The Gaidin knows what she is talking about, my heart. You would do well to listen to her,’ Jesi seemed to appear just behind Natlya. ‘You must have had fun trying to distract her. You are blushing, you know,’ she added with a smirk. ‘I love when you blush.’

‘I am not blushing,’ Paks countered. It was a lie, and she knew Jesi could see right through it. Her lover was one of the few who could so easily make her blush, and it was something Jesi took great pleasure in whenever the two were together.

‘You are, but that is not the point. She is right, as I said, and you know it as much as I do. Better say something. . .you’ve been quiet for several seconds. It’s starting to get uncomfortable. Don’t want to creep the Gaidin out.’

Paks cleared her throat and looked away, shaking her head slightly, “No. . .she would not.” Chewing the inside of her lip, the Ji’val thought over what both her lover and the Gaidin were trying to tell her. She looked back to Natlya, “Is this where you tell me we’re going into Hama Valon to get me that break you’re so convinced I need?”

Bella

Post by Bella » May 29th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Natlya waited, watching. The moments rolled on, and the silence seemed to be going on a little longer than she would have expected, but still, she wasn't going to interrupt it. She's let Paks reply on her own time. And soon, she did just that. Natlya tilted her head slightly with a faint smile.

"It is just about that time," she agreed. "At least where I highly encourage it. I won't force it. The choice is still yours. But know that if you don't, I'm likely to show back up again and again until you agree just to get rid of me."

Roan

Post by Roan » May 29th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Paks
The Ji’val wanted to tell Natlya no, she wouldn’t go to Hama Valon that night. The Gaidin gave her the option for an out, but with the warning that it was only a temporary out. She stared at the practice dummy as she tested the weight of the practice daggers in her hands, flipping them now and then as she weighed her options.

Instead of a resting smirk face, Paks developed a resting bitch face in the time since she’d lost Jesi. She turned that expression to the Gaidin, who still wore the slight rueful smile, “Fine, I’ll join you.” She wiped her brow once more, “But I need to clean up, if it’s not obvious. I’ll meet you at the front gate in an hour.” She stalked off, not letting Natlya respond.

‘You didn’t need to be so rude, darlin’. She’s concerned for you, and she’s not the only one. Don’t push those that care about you away, or you’ll live a lonely life,’ Jesi said, nudging Paks with her elbow.

‘I didn’t ask for her concern.’

‘You didn’t. . .and I suspect she didn’t ask for yours when you gave it to her. You are letting your anger consume you. If you are not careful, it will take all of your heart. You’re too good to let that happen to you. Let the sun shine through, would you?’

Paks pushed the vision of Jesi out of her mind. She knew her lover was right. She hated it when Jesi was right.

An hour later, wearing a clean uniform, Paks approached the main gate. She wasn’t surprised to see Natlya leaning against the wall, waiting for her. She couldn’t quite bring herself to meet the Gaidin’s gaze as she ran a hand through her hair, “So. . .where to?”

Bella

Post by Bella » May 31st, 2018, 1:48 am

Natlya was patient and understanding with Paks's plight...

...to a point.

As she had watched the woman stalk off to clean up, after having petulantly given a near-order to a Gaidin, Natlya had felt a sinking premonition that might also have to put the other woman on her ass before the end of the night. She would do whatever it took, she determined. Or maybe would do it just for the attitude.

Nat had her limits, after all. But she'd give Paks the chance.

And so it was an hour later that she was waiting for the Ji'val at the main gate, leaning casually against the wall. There was a part of her that suspected Paks might try to ditch her...but she didn't. Nat pushed herself off the wall and straightened up as the Ji walked towards her, not meeting her eyes.

"Band of Brothers," Nat said simply. It was one of her favorite places to go.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik