It's Always Sunny in Hama Valon (Attn: Jake and Sunny)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: It's Always Sunny in Hama Valon (Attn: Jake and Sunny)

Post by Craig » May 25th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Thea
Thea made a face at the man. "You're meant to watch your language." She didn't know precisely what that meant, but Thea had heard her mother say it often enough to know it was the thing to say. Plus, she knew how to behave.

Turning back to the counter, Thea peered at the various delicacies on offer. There were little white labels in front of them, describing what they were and how much they cost. She started to pull silver coins out from the pouch her dad had given her, each one marked by the Flame and Fang of Hama Valon.

"Please can I have a slice of the raspberry cake with the rose petals on top, and can I please have a slice of the, um... Er, cleemantiny cake? The orange one. Yeah, that one!" She had to point, but the baker understood what cake she meant. Cleemantinies were like oranges, she thought.

Whilst her purchases were being boxed, Thea turned to face the man. "Sure you don't want any cake?" She counted out her coin. "I think I buy another slice?"
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jake
"New Spring"
PC: Jakob Su Salza

Post by Jake » May 25th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Still smiling somewhat for being called down by a child about his language, Jakob refused the slice for himself with a shake of his head and kept watching the girl. He knew the type of meal he preferred was waiting for him at the inn he stayed at, and it was not cake.

"None for me, thank you. Let's make sure you get it to your mother in haste. Wouldnt want it to become stale now, would we?" He ushered the girl out once the buying was done, one hand on her shoulder and the other holding the door open. "If I might ask, what is it your father does for a living? Surely a Blademaster does not work as a farmer somewhere."
It takes a special type of gift to value evil.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » May 25th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Two seconds. Two bloody seconds! That was all it had taken for Thea to vanish into thin air. Dax had paused to greet an acquaintance and when he turned around, his daughter was gone. How someone -even a small someone- in a bright yellow gown could disappear so thoroughly boggled his mind, but it had happened, and now he was fighting down panic as he combed the crowded thoroughfare of the west market looking for his little girl.

Thea was old enough to find her way back to the Tower on her own if she needed to, he knew that. Her capability was not what worried him. His daughter was small, and curious, and innocent; if anyone knew the underbelly of humanity and its likely response to finding such a girl by herself, it was Dax. He kept his fear to himself as he searched and tried not to think of what to do if he didn’t find her.

What felt like years later -but was probably only a few minutes- he heard a familiar piping voice over the dull roar of conversation. “My father is a guy-deen.” Dax shouldered through the crowd without hesitation, ignoring the objections of those he jostled (or straight up pushed aside). When he reached the shop he found a little girl in a yellow dress clutching a box in one hand, a stranger’s hand on her shoulder as if guiding her. That stranger looked entirely too interested in what she was saying….which made sense, damn it, considering Thea had just informed him who her mother was.

“There you are Thea, I’ve been looking all over!” Dax said, holding his hands out. “What’s your friend’s name, sweetheart?” His eyes swung from his daughter to the stranger, the look conveying his concern and suspicion more clearly than anything he could have said.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » May 25th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Thea
The wave of disturbed people gave way to the figure of her dad. She grinned. She liked how people never got in his way. Not the same as when people bowed to Mum, but it was sorta alike.

"Hey," she said casually. There was no indication that Thea was perturbed by, well, anything. She looked up towards her friend. "Uhh... I dunno. But he's Cairhienin! And he hasn't seen a Trolloc."

Thea's attention moved back to the box in her hands. Slipping a small finger under the paper, she lifted the lid and ran a finger across the icing, scooping a large orange blob into her mouth. Her face scrunched up as the icing touched her tongue. "It's so sweet!" she complained around the orangey goo. Reluctantly she swallowed. "Ugh!"
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » May 26th, 2018, 2:35 am

Jakob stood poleaxed at the sight of a legend among house Riatin. Eyes bulged and Thea entirely unheard or remembered, Jakob bowed. Deeply.

"Lord Dax?! I... I! Forgive me, My lord! My name is Jakob Su Salza, under the banner of House Riatin. I swear under the Light I meant no harm to your daughter. She-" he paused, his mouth snapping shut audibly to stop the tumult of words. understanding he might have rambled a bit too much he, perhaps wisely, waited for the response.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 27th, 2018, 6:29 am

Thea’s complaint briefly drew Dax’s gaze, but her companion’s obsequious exclamation pulled his attention back. He blinked, head tilting slightly to the side as he looked the other man up and down. Small. Pale. Exactly the sort of person he would expect to swear to House Riatin. He hadn’t mourned the death of the late Lord Fenton Riatin (expect perhaps the fact that it hadn’t been by his hand), and this solid reminder of the blasted man’s existence was an unwelcome addition to his day.

“Thank you for helping my daughter, Master Salza. I do appreciate your candor,” Dax said. The words were easy and casual, almost friendly. His fingers brushed Thea’s shoulders and she smiled up at him, a bit of icing stuck to her lip. He glanced back at Jakob, choosing his words carefully for the benefit of the small ears that would hear them. “Lying to me is a bad thing to do, you know, so it's a very good thing you aren't." Thea nodded emphatic agreement. Then she stuck more cake in her mouth, apparently (and thankfully) oblivious to the intended threat in those words.

Dax hid a smile as he moved on to other matters. “What brings you to Hama Valon? We're a bit out of the way for most blades for hire.”
Image Image Image Image

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » May 27th, 2018, 7:09 am

Jakob put on his best smile, despite the barely veiled threat, and straightened himself up from the bow. Such things were expected from Dax, whom rumors had placed in a dozen different battles and schemes amongst the house. Each story more ridiculous than the last with outnumbering foes, knives in the dark, and an abundance of drunken brawls. All the things he had heard made the man's oddly calm demeanor seem all the more intimidating.

"House Riatin is... not fairing well. Work is hard to find, even for a minor noble. I had thought to try my hand with sell swords here but... I may have to attempt being a tower guard instead before my money runs out... My lord." That last he ducked another bow.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 27th, 2018, 10:19 pm

The last time Dax had encountered Riatin mercenaries, the clash had not gone well for them. For a moment the Tairen could feel black rage rushing through his body and Taeric al’Nara’s throat beneath his fingers once more. Then Thea made a small noise and he came back to the present with a thump. It had been thirty years; Fenton was dead, Katrie had taken herself off to the Light knew where, and the likelihood of Riatin pursuing their vendetta at this point seemed quite small. Still, Cairhien. Who bloody knew. Proceed with caution, but proceed, he told himself.

"A family so caught up in scheming and politics it can barely hear itself think is having trouble keeping itself together? I am shocked by this entirely unpredictable turn of events.” His mouth quirked up as he looked the other man up and down. Now his panic had faded and he had tucked the past back where it belonged, Jakob didn't seem that bad a sort.

“That said, if you’re looking for work you’d have better luck to the east or north. I hear Tar Valon is still in need of men, and there’s always Almoth Plain or the Borderlands. No? Can’t say I blame you on either count. Even for me there have been times when money was no match for the risk involved.”

His hand shifted to take the little girl’s sticky fingers. “Thea, we’re walking now.” He gestured for Jakob to join him with the other.

“So you’re interested in the Tower Guard. Is there more to it than gold?”
Image Image Image Image

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » May 27th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Jakob nodded in assent to the silent invitation to walk along with them, falling in with them but keeping apart as was proper. A side glance at Thea showed she had thoroughly dismissed him already, and he frowned somewhat at that. For some reason that bothered him.

"There is always more to it than money, My Lord. I yearn to lead men into battle once more, as I did with our arms men in Cairhein. If I can help the Tower in keeping the peace, maybe Cairhien will benefit from that. It is the best I can do with the skills I have." He shrugged as if to say he knew it was too little, but could think of nothing else.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 28th, 2018, 3:36 am

Dax lifted his eyebrows, giving Jakob a much more interested look. He had known his share of mercenaries in his time, had learned to read their faces for their true intentions. That was how he had caught the al’Nara twins, after all. This man showed no sign of deception.

“To lead for the glory of one’s homeland is not a dream I have ever had,” he mused. “I was a mercenary and now I am Gaidin, and that is all I ever hope to be. However, I know many men and women who share that ambition,” he said. “If that is what you truly want, then I am happy to introduce you to the Captain of the Guard. If you ever want to fight for something bigger, however...there are empty rooms in the training barracks and the Tower does not require its Gaidin to bond. Have you considered that path?”
OOC: Craig has said he's letting the grown ups talk, so I'm just having Thea follow us around until he decides she's ready to interrupt. ;)
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik