Gifted [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Gifted [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

Post by Bella » April 2nd, 2018, 11:53 pm

When the dog followed her out of the room, Haeden suddenly felt a little out of place, kneeling there on Liaran's floor. He looked around as the vague awkwardness settled in and he rose to his feet, dusting off his knees briefly. This new feeling rolled over his relief, almost pleasure, at her agreement to go with him. But not for long.

Haeden laced his hands loosely behind his back, at the 'warder yards resting attention pose' as it were, since it was a pretty natural one for him to fall into. He glanced around, taking in the room around him like a Gaidin but only on the surface. He had no desire to invade her privacy any more than her already had...

"Are you ready?"

He turned his attention to her and offered a small, humble smile. Bowing his head slightly, he held his hands out. "I'm always ready. I am a Gaidin, and also a rather simple man." He glanced at the door she'd emerged from. "Will the pup be coming along, or does she remain here?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » April 3rd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Liaran
Liaran shook her head. "No, Shadow's staying here," she said. "If she came with us, I'm not sure if you'd get anything done." A quick glance back into her room revealed that the dog had already closed her eyes for a nap. The Aes Sedai smiled at the sight, then crossed to the door and left her rooms, leaving her door slightly ajar in case Shadow woke and wanted to go outside.

It didn't take long for them to walk through the various hallways and exit through one of the Grey Tower's many doors. The city of Hama Valon sprawled before them, appearing larger than Liaran remembered it. The Aes Sedai couldn't help feeling a little nervous about leaving the grounds of the Tower, but she knew it was irrational of her, and forced herself to ignore it. She paused on the steps of the Tower, having no idea where in the city Haeden wanted to go. Liaran let the Gaidin lead the way, and did the best she could to keep up with him. As they proceeded into Hama Valon, Liaran turned her head to look up at Haeden. "How have you been, Haeden?" she asked.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 3rd, 2018, 10:55 pm

They walked the initial halls in silence. Part of Haeden wanted to speak words to fill it, but there was another part of him that was perfectly contented with the quiet. He was a quiet person most of the time, or so he had been told by more than one person on more than one occasion. And he was okay with it.

Most of the time.

Now, he kind of wanted to talk, but he wasn't sure what to talk about. He was beginning to feel some embarrassment over having asked her help on such a small thing, but it was done. He had to focus elsewhere.

Once they stepped out of the familiar Tower halls that they both knew all too well, he felt her slow and knew that he was in the lead. It was his task, after all. He walked down the path toward Hama Valon, although not with any great rush, just the confidence of at least knowing what direction he was heading.

How had he been? That was a good question.

"I've been alright," he said. It was the standard answer he always gave, but he didn't want to leave it there like he usually did. "I've been trying to spend more time away from the Yards, a little less constant work. It's a little strange, but I'm working on it." He smiled a little. "And you? Have have you been, Liaran?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 4th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Liaran
It should have been a simple question, but it wasn't for Liaran, and she had to consider how to answer it. In the short time since her trial, it seemed every single person she spoke to had asked her that, and Liaran had always claimed that she was just fine. It wasn't true, of course, and she didn't even consider providing Haeden with that answer. She tried to smile at him. "I'm doing better than I was, mostly. Some days are harder than others," she told him. Those were mostly the days that followed her more sleepless nights, but she didn't feel up to explaining that right now. "I'll be teaching again in a few days, and I think it will be good for me to get back to that. And...well, I've been working on not isolating myself in my rooms, and trying to be a little more social."

Liaran's head turned away slightly, still embarrassed to admit to that even if it was something Haeden already knew. "I'm glad you're not working yourself so hard," she said, and she meant it. She looked back at him, more comfortable now that she wasn't talking about her own problems. "Have you been doing anything fun in your time away from work, or just enjoying the break?"

Bella

Post by Bella » April 4th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Haeden was just as genuine in his being glad that she too was working on not isolating herself so much. Her road would be a long one, he knew, and far more complex than his own...but he also knew that they both needed to forgive themselves and move forward. He was glad for them both that they were doing just that.

"I've been trying to figure out what's good to do with that time," he said. He managed to stop himself from saying that he was trying to get away from drinking as a hobby. "It can be hard, when you work so much. I've been reading, and spending time with my mother and new little half-brother. His name is Iain. He's kind of cute, I have to admit."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 5th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Liaran
Liaran nodded. "I suppose you just try different things to fill that time, and see what you like doing," she told him. "I've had more free time lately than I'm used to myself, and I've been spending a lot of it out by the lake in the gardens, just watching the fish or sometimes other people, or just thinking." She thought it probably sounded boring to Haeden, but there was a lot on Liaran's mind that was easier for her to deal with when she was out by the water.

She smiled up at Haeden before continuing, "I'm glad to hear that your little brother has been born. How is it being an older sibling?" It wasn't something Liaran knew, having been born the only child of two rather distant parents. Since she could say nothing on that topic, she was quiet, listening to what Haeden had to say instead of speaking.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 7th, 2018, 2:44 am

"That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer," he admitted with a quiet laugh. "I am an older brother now, but I feel...too old to be, in a sense. I am... Well. I'm not young anymore." He smiled wryly at her. "And yet this is a baby. Our age disparity is hard to reconcile, and I suddenly feel a great deal more sympathy for my sister. The difference in our age is greater still."

He paused for a moment, thinking back to his visits with his mother. She looked...happy. It brought back memories of when he was little and spending time with his parents. He worked hard to not think about his father, but he remembered his mother's smile.

If she had not come to the Grey Tower and become an Aes Sedai, she probably would have become a farmer's wife in Saldaea and had some twenty children. Fortunately for all the children she did have, being a channeler took up a little more of her time so she only had the six over the hundred plus years.

"But it is pretty special, I guess," he went on. "I never really gave much thought to babies, but it's pretty special when it's one you're related to. New life in the family. It's made me wonder about what it would be like to be a father in a good way, which is a first." Then he realized what he'd said and grimaced. "More than you needed to hear of me, I'm sure. My apologies."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 8th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Liaran
Liaran blinked, not quite understanding why Haeden felt it necessary to apologize for answering her. "Don't apologize, I asked," she pointed out. "If I shouldn't have, then I should be the one to apologize, not you." She didn't offer one yet, because she wasn't quite sure if he'd meant that her question was too personal, or something else. Liaran sighed and looked at the buildings around her, trying to decide what, if anything, to say next, or if she should perhaps just be quiet. For a short time, she opted for the quiet, trying to work out what she'd done wrong, or if she had at all.

When Haeden didn't say anything to suggest that she had, Liaran let herself glance at him again. "I've never thought much about children, myself," she commented. "I've always assumed that as an Aes Sedai, I wouldn't have the time for that." As soon as she said it, Liaran realized that was a rather foolish assumption, considering who she was talking to, and had no idea if it had been the right thing to say or not. Her hope was that if she shared her rather limited thoughts on the subject, Haeden wouldn't be uncomfortable talking to her, if that was the problem. She really didn't know, and it was frustrating to her. She'd only been trying to get to know him better, and that wasn't something Liaran did often. Though she had friends among the Blue Ajah, as well as with some of the other teachers, they were largely surface friendships, and Liaran didn't think that was the sort of friendship she'd like to have with Haeden. Now confused in addition to her frustration, Liaran returned to looking at the city around her.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 9th, 2018, 11:27 pm

This silence seemed a little awkward, and Haeden wondered what he had said wrong. Was it because he'd spoken too personally about himself, or maybe his apology had been received in a different light than he'd intended... By the Light, he was tying his tongue repeatedly today and he had no idea why.

So, he opted to just...speak, and try to not analyze himself too much.

"As I've learned from highly close-to-the-source experience," he said with a faint, wry smile, "it's the same for Aes Sedai as for any other woman. Determining what works for your life. Of course, I get the impression that my mother was not intending to have the family she ended up with either, once she was at the Tower...but she herself is one of six, and the line numbers in the hundreds through Saldaea alone now. So maybe the Wheel determined that choice."

He paused, once again caught by the sheer number of family members he had out in the world somewhere...but then he went on. "We all make our own choices. And when it comes to this, I don't believe either way is right or wrong."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 10th, 2018, 12:23 am

Liaran
Liaran smiled back at him, then the Aes Sedai shrugged. "No, there is no right or wrong," she agreed. "It's a personal decision." She thought to herself that it wasn't one she'd need to make any time soon, not while she was trying to get her own life back together. She didn't say that, since she was already feeling quite awkward enough. For a while, Liaran was quiet, unsure if there was anything else she should say. She couldn't remember the last time she'd spoken to someone about anything besides the weather, or Ajah business...simple topics like that. Part of her worried that she wasn't capable of conversation behind those small things.

Her eyes drifted back to the streets again, and Liaran wondered where in the city Haeden meant to go, as it felt to her as though they'd already passed through most of the streets that she knew. The quietness between herself and Haeden was bothering her, and Liaran wasn't sure if there was anything she could do about it. After thinking on it further, she decided that maybe she did need to apologize for the question she'd asked earlier, even if it had seemed innocent enough at the time. "Haeden?" she said, and dared to look at him again. "If I shouldn't have asked about your brother...I am sorry." She felt stupid, but no more than she had earlier.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik