Gifted [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Gifted [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

Post by Bella » April 14th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Haeden paused his strides and looked at her, his brows knit faintly in a quizzical expression. "How could that have been wrong?" he wondered aloud. "It was a perfectly polite and...considerate question. You've no reason to apologize," he assured her, then gestured for them to start walking again.

Soon, they arrived at a short row of booths and Haeden began to look them over.

"I was simply worried that I had been...too open," he explained after a moment. "That my thoughts on fatherhood were not something of interest to you."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » April 15th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Liaran
Liaran stopped when Haeden did, letting out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding once he told her there wasn't any reason for her to apologize. So if that wasn't it..than what was? She still felt awkward, and a small part of her was pleading to return to the safety of her own rooms. Liaran ignored it. She'd spent far too much time listening to that particular part of herself as it was, which she realized was likely contributing to her current problem. As she followed the Gaidin down the road, stopping whenever he paused to look at something, Liaran didn't know what to say to him, and took some time to consider it.

Haeden interrupted her thinking to explain himself further and Liaran felt herself relax slightly. Is this as hard for him as it is for me? She didn't dare ask that directly, but even asking herself that made her consider whether it might be true. The Aes Sedai blinked, then answered him with complete honesty. "You weren't too open," she began. She paused before continuing, "I'd.....well.....I'd like to get to know you better, Haeden. I just....don't have many friends...and I guess I'm just not good at talking to people." Light, but that sounds stupid. Heat rose to Liaran's cheeks, and her eyes flickered towards the ground. She felt exposed in a way she didn't much like, and the only thing keeping the part of her that wanted to run from taking over was the simple fact that Haeden had seen her in a much worse state than this.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm

He looked at her sidelong and smiled crookedly. Then he leaned over, just a little, closer to her. "You may have noticed, but neither am I. Otherwise I wouldn't worry so much about saying too much." He straightened back up and laughed softly, shaking his head. "It seems to be easier when I'm in the Yards. But there, I'm teacher... I have a role. When I'm with my family, it is the same. But the role of friend...is not as familiar to me as it should be." Rubbing the back of his neck, he looked over the display of gems and jewelry. They were not the gaudy, cheap kind nor the too-expensive-for-this-Gaidin kind, but just in the middle.

"I would like to get to know you better as well," he admitted without looking at her, reaching out and cradling a pendant in his hand from where it hunt from a rack over the table. It was silver and in the shape of the crescent moon with a white-marbled blue stone in the center. "This is pretty, is it not?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 18th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Liaran
Liaran took her eyes from the ground as she smiled, feeling more comfortable with Haeden than she had just moments ago. "Teaching isn't the same, though," she pointed out. "It isn't..personal, not like spending time with friends." She paused to swat a piece of her hair out of her face before continuing. "As for family, I haven't heard from my parents since I earned the shawl, so I suppose I'm even worse off there than I am with making friends." She shrugged, then moved closer to where Haeden was looking to see if he wanted her input.

It was a relief to hear that he wanted to get to know her as well, that she had not made a fool of herself as she'd felt earlier, and Liaran smiled again though Haeden was too busy with his task to see her. When he did finally ask for an opinion from her, she let herself draw a little closer beside him to see what he was looking at. "Yes, it's pretty," she agreed, "but will she actually wear it, or will it end up in a box somewhere?"

Bella

Post by Bella » April 20th, 2018, 5:57 pm

"That is the question, isn't it," he said, more of a statement than a question. He looked at the pendant in his hand, tilting it this way and that. It caught the light of the sun that came down upon them. It did sparkle beautifully, he thought, and the silver and blue together made a striking combination that reminded him of her.

He went on, "Of all the sorts of jewelry, a pendant such a this would be most likely to be worn. She would want something that she could tuck underneath her bodice, if need be, so she could fight." His eyes traveled up the chain suspending it from the rack. "That looks long enough to wear like that, don't you think? And sturdy enough to not break? That would be important."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 22nd, 2018, 12:40 am

Liaran
Liaran studied the necklace that Haeden held, thinking that the blue stone was particularly appropriate for his sister, who shared her own Ajah.While she looked at it, she thought about the questions that Haeden had asked. She'd never been much for fighting with any weapon besides the One Power, so she was a little slow to respond. The links of the chain looked fine to her, not too delicate, but she had no idea how well they would hold if Sadira chose to fight while wearing it. Finally, she was forced to tell Haeden just that.

"It should be long enough," she said, sure about that much. "I don't know if it would break during a fight though. It doesn't look like it would snap easily, but I've never trained with weapons so I'm not sure about that, and you may want to ask someone who would know better than I do," Liaran felt a little dumb suggesting that, but reasoned that at least she was trying, and she couldn't possibly know everything.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 24th, 2018, 11:19 pm

"Well, it would take much to cause it to break were she wearing it beneath clothing or even armor," he reasoned by way of a response to Liaran. Her statements had not been dumb to him in the least, and he was thinking through it. He knew about fighting, but not about wearing pendants underneath dresses...

Finally, he nodded once. "I think it will suit," he said. "And I like it. If the price is reasonable, then I will get it for her but keep an eye out a little longer. See what else might be there."

Haeden moved just enough to speak to the merchant, and there was some haggling over the price. All of the merchants here expected it, after all, and many almost found it rude if you didn't try to. The price in the end was reasonable for the both of him, so he made the purchase and took the cloth-wrapped package.

As they moved away from the booth, he cast a smile at the Aes Sedai beside him. "Thank you," he said. "For your help."

They walked for a few moments more, Haeden occasionally glancing at a vendor's stall, cart, or booth. Then he looked back to her, but there was curiosity in his expression. "Simply with the curiosity of a Gaidin... Have you little training with a weapon out of choice, or just never thought to pursue it?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 25th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Liaran
Liaran nodded, thinking to herself that Haeden had made a perfectly good choice without needing much help from her. She stepped away from him, just enough to let him do his bargaining with the merchant. It didn't take long, and when he was done, Liaran moved to walk beside him. She returned the smile he gave her. "You would have been just fine without me," she said, "but I don't mind helping at all." In fact, Liaran was actually enjoying it.

For a short time, they continued to walk. Liaran blinked when Haeden spoke to her again, then shrugged. "I never thought much about it," she said. "There was a time when I was Accepted that I thought I should learn, but I never did end up making time for it." That had been right after the events at Vaidulo, not something Liaran wanted to dwell on for long. She kept speaking, "I'm strongest with Fire, so if I find myself in need of a weapon, that's what I tend to use. But honestly, after the war with the White Tower, I think I'd be perfectly happy to never have to fight again." She hoped she'd live out the rest of her life without seeing another war.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 28th, 2018, 12:12 am

Haeden nodded thoughtfully, although it was an interesting contrasts to be here speaking with Liaran as she was and compare it to the women he'd known in his life, particularly his family. They were all fighters, military in bearing, with Greens and Blues and Gaidin. Outside of them, it was all those he knew in the Yards...so, Gaidin.

"I have learned from my mother and sister," he began thoughtfully, "that it can be...beneficial to at least have some knowledge of a weapon outside of the One Power." He didn't expound on that, however. "But I would be happy to know you would not have to fight again." He blinked, wondering at how that sounded out loud. "I mean, I might be trained to live as a weapon, but it means I know the value of peace.

"Making war is not for everyone, nor is the military life. And should you...ever find a warder, then that would be their concern and less that you'd have to worry about." For some reason, he felt like he'd stuffed his foot in his mouth, but he wasn't sure why.

Feeling somehow embarrassed, still unsure why, he drifted toward another vendor. "Of course, the women in my family tend towards the life." He gestured at the decorative daggers on display. "Although these are just for show. They are too intricately decorated for anyone to actually want to use in a fight."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Liaran
Liaran looked up at Haeden before saying anything. "I can see how it would be useful," she said, and tried to push away her thoughts of Vaidulo, when the One Power had done nothing against....whatever those creatures had been. "I just don't...like it." She had, once, during the war, but that was something else she didn't want to think about. She knew well what she'd done, how a part of her had been pleased with her actions, taken pride in her revenge, and she never wanted to be that person again. It made her feel almost sick to think of it, so she was quiet for a while. "I will fight, if there is ever another war or some other situation where I don't feel I have any other choice," she finally added. "But if I don't have to, I'd really rather not."

"As for finding a Warder, I never thought of it until recently," she continued. "I was sure I didn't want one....that I would be just fine on my own." She knew, now, that that wasn't true, and what was worse was that Haeden knew it as well as she did. Liaran looked away from him, feeling rather ashamed of herself. She didn't think the Gaidin had ever held her need for his help against her, but Liaran wasn't sure she'd ever forgive herself for having been so weak. She kept talking, more to herself than to Haeden, and her eyes remained on the street ahead of them.

"I'm still not sure I'd ever want a Warder," she said. "I know a couple of Blues who treat theirs as little more than servants, and I won't do that to anyone." Those particular Blues tended to be people with whom Liaran did not get along very well. "Others are never apart from theirs....I honestly don't think I could stand that." She shrugged, not really sure why she was telling Haeden any of this. "If I ever met someone who wanted to work with me, who wouldn't fuss over me all the time, who had a life outside of me....then I might consider it more seriously, but I don't expect that will ever happen."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik