Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Post by Sunny » August 17th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Finn
Finn sat on a barrel in an alley, watching passers-by with critical eyes as he chewed on the last bite of his lunch.

Hama Valon. Mountain Guard. A city created by channelers to work together for the good of all. Channelers intent on a better future. The very idea flew in the face of everything the Seanchan soldier knew to be true. Channelers set the Dark One free. They broke the world. Aes Sedai destroyed any chance at peace. The mantra felt hollow when he remembered the horror in Meilen’s eyes. Little Meilen, with her scraped knees and disordered braids. How could she possibly present such a threat?

Only one way to learn, really, and the idea terrified him. He had been in Hama Valon for nearly two weeks now, listening to the locals and asking questions, and still hadn’t quite gotten up the nerve to approach those who could give him real answers. There was one more place to look without putting himself in undue danger; he would explore there and then consider his options carefully.

Meal finished and mind resolute, the young man pushed himself to his feet and wearily slung his bag over his shoulder, twisting his other arm up and through the opposing strap with a grunt. Strange that he could wear armor all day and never notice, but carry it on his back and it instantly became a burden. Probably something to do with where the weight rested on his body.

Fantasies of a steaming bath followed by a lengthy massage briefly sidetracked Finn’s thoughts. He could get the bath at the inn he stayed at, but the massage seemed unlikely. Even after months of travel it still seemed strange that such accommodations were not included with his room, but it seemed impolite to argue that fact with his host. The lack of da’covale certainly had a profound impact on the quality of life in the Westlands.

Thoughts of Seanchan culture would not help him find the answers to his questions and neither would standing in a side street. The wanderer took a breath, then inserted himself back into the main thoroughfare. To the north he could see the Grey Tower. Although he had no intention of going there just yet, his destination lay near its grounds and thus he found himself staring at that glittering glass spire with fearful eyes.

He wanted knowledge, and the M’sanndane seemed like the next logical step. The university’s name roughly translated to “chance of knowing” in the common language...if one put the Old Tongue through a meat grinder and scrawled the mashed up results onto paper, anyway. Finn could forgive the ignorant phrasing, if only because he had paid enough attention since his arrival to know something of the building’s origin. Children could not be expected to know the Old Tongue. No, not children. Channelers. Meilen had been a child, however, and she could channel. Aes Sedai had to have been young at some point...

Swearing silently as his mind once again began to chase in circles, the Seanchan man worked his way through the city. He didn’t notice he had acquired a shadow.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Post by Andy » August 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm

"Has he caused any trouble?" he asked Giselle with a slight frown.

"Never, just sits there and asks things. Wouldn't have told you at all but he speaks...funny"

"Yeah, slowly like chewing something all of the time"

"Hmmm. What does he ask?"

"About the Tower mostly. The city too. People and things"

"Probably harmless but thanks for telling me"

She eyed him a few times before returning to her duties in the tavern and Alrim watched this lone figure from across the room every so often., finishing his ale as he did so. He seemed to be from sturdy stock and healthy. His pack looked large and heavy and that was a curiosity in and of itself. On other days he might have let the matter go but recent events had taught him that such actions never ended well. Darkfriends, Black Ajah and more. They seemed to appear everywhere and he couldn't let be if he wasn't sure. As such when the man left he waited for a few breaths before following at a distance.

Where are you going friend? he wondered.

It didn't take long to find out as they both, one after the other, crossed the threshold of the University. The man was a true seeker of knowledge indeed by the looks of it. Still as he increased his pace to within earshot the noise from the pack made him frown - it seemed like metal upon metal. Not enough to accuse but something to note with care. He kept up the tailing, observing what was looked at and tilted his head in consideration. He knew the layout of the building - he had made a point of learning all layouts as best he could within the Tower and its surroundings. You never knew when you would need them in your head. He watched the retreating back of the man and circled around so he would be in front of him as he passed.

"I hear you want to know things," he stated as the man passed by him, "which is a coincidence actually...because I'd like to know things too. An exchange, perhaps?" he offered with a jovial tone though his hands rested comfortably upon the hilt of his sword, his eyes reading and trying to judge.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » August 31st, 2017, 6:10 am

Poorly chosen name or not, the M’sanndane seemed respectable enough when he arrived. It did not intimidate him the way the Crystal Throne had (nor as the glass tower behind him did), but the delicately shaped stone resting in a field of grass and trees had its own sort of authority. His feet carried him up the broad steps and through the vaulted doors. Did it have a library? He would prefer to read than talk, at least at first. Answers. I need answers, he reminded himself. I can talk to anyone, just not Aes Sedai. Not...yet.

He kept his eyes firmly on the floor as he walked. The Westlanders did not seem to care so much whether he met their gaze, but better not to-

A wall of leather and metal stopped the Seanchan man's thoughts and feet. He stepped back, hand automatically falling to a sword hilt that wasn’t there. He grasped at air for a moment, then let his arm fall still. The soldier's blade and axe were the two things he had been unable to disguise in his pack; hey were both well-hidden in a pile of scrap wood in the dock district.

Finn looked up carefully, noting weapon, armor, a collection of matted braids that appeared to be tipped with bells, and finally a face that seemed too friendly for the gear its owner carried. The stranger spoke, and as usual it took Finn a moment to piece together what he meant. Do all Westlanders speak so quickly, as if they’re running out of time and must mash every word together before the door closes?

“Is this not a place for learning?” He asked, carefully shifting back another half-span, then stepping to the side as if to go around this unwanted blockade. “Ask your question of the masters.” The man blocked his path once again and Finn frowned, giving him a closer look. “I have nothing of worth to give you my friend,” he said finally. “Let me pass.”
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 31st, 2017, 7:16 pm

It was not the reaction that he had hoped for but in hindsight it was a predictable and apt one, the man reaching very clearly for a weapon that was not there. That either spoke of too much surprise kicking reflex in the rear or a certain kind of foolishness that was happy to fight outside of the normal fields of battle. He was not sure which but he couldn't help but smile slightly, it was both amusing and it reminded him of himself - after a fashion. Some time ago now, of course, he was far too...well almost respectable these days. The way he spoke, though, that gave him pause. He had not heard the accent that he could remember but it tugged at some distant memory deep inside.

Slow, almost slathering out the words like daub over wattle...strange he told himself, making out what was said by dint of much effort.

"I'm not so sure," he said, still in a friendly tone but this time slower and with more amusement, "I never really thought anyone was a Master here. Light even the Masters say they aren't Masters. Something to do with never letting yourself think you know everything" he said, shamelessly stealing one of Riahana's phrases from a while back.

He could tell that the man was if not skittish then willing to scuffle and flee if required. He hadn't started a fight so far, which meant he could be reasonable. Perhaps words that were less direct and more circuitous would get through to him. Either way he couldn't let him go. He was a warrior, asking questions of The Tower and Hama Valon, in an accent that was unfamiliar and on top of that he was evasive. Security risks were not something he was willing to create with his own hands and so he followed the man after he pushed past him.

"Besides, what you say is a lie," he said in an amiable tone, seeing if it would get the man to stop, honour was important to a warrior apparently, "you could answer my questions better than most here. Any, in fact. See...I have this...problem. A man comes to town, quite a few questions in his mind I am told. All sorts of things he asks, of almost everyone. Now normally I'd say it was a fine fellow who wants to learn but this one...well he isn't the bookish sort by sight"

"Now, any respectable guard wouldn't just let them walk around without...looking into them. Not these days. Dark times, dark times. Need to make sure there's no trouble. If you get my meaning?"

It wasn't a lie but neither was it the whole truth but he would learn much about the stranger if he ignored the assumption of even minor authority in the city he was a visitor to.
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » September 2nd, 2017, 5:51 am

In the course of his travel from Toman Head only a handful of people had tried to match their speech to his own. Finn did not miss that this stranger joined their number, although he did not allow the courtesy to stop him from continuing along his path across the university’s great antechamber. The man followed. Of course the man followed. Cursing silently to himself, Finn prayed he would get bored and leave soon.

“Besides, what you say is a lie,” the stranger said, and Finn spun on his heel, a sharp reprimand for the insult on the tip of his tongue. The words died, however, as the warrior continued to speak. A heavy weight blossomed in the Seanchan man’s gut as he realized his error. Should have practiced speaking as they do more often. Too late, now. They knew he didn’t belong.

Option one: run. He would not make it far, not with that many people, and there had been guards at the gate. He could not bear the shame of cowardice, either. Option two: fight. With a tower of marath’damane within shouting distance, that did not seem prudent. Option three: lie. The man with bells in his hair had already proven he knew too much. What would he do if he caught Finn in a falsehood?

Option four, then. Reasonable conversation suited Finn best anyway. “You are doing your duty, I understand,” he said, gesturing with an open hand for his new companion to walk out of the stream of passersby to a quieter alcove. He glanced sideways at the fighter, looking for words. “I am called Finn,” he said simply. “I come from...far away. This place is new to me.”

He paused before adding, “You know this city, yes? Please tell me. How do the...channelers,” and his tongue wrapped awkwardly around the word despite his best efforts, “come to be in their glass tower?” Finn chewed on the inside of his cheek. “Do they cause trouble for the city, gathered together like that?” How could they not? How could so many ]marath’damane live in freedom without chaos reigning on every street corner?

What am I doing here? If a fleeting memory of Meilen’s dirty legs racing ahead of him on a path had not crossed his mind at that exact moment, the Seanchan man would have run regardless of shame or consequence.
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 6th, 2017, 7:53 pm

It was not unexpected when the man turned upon his heel at his barb, but he had expected him to at least snap back with some kind of retort. Either he was not as clever as he sounded or he was more clever than first impressions, either one suited him. He had one confirmation and that meant there was leverage, should he desire to use it. Honour was a hard thing to destroy but easy to tarnish and usually desperately defended. Still, no violence seemed forthcoming and so he said no more upon the matter, he was not a cruel person by nature.

"Yes, duty," he said as he followed him, keeping a few paces between them just in case, "it seems to call all too often of late. No doubt you know of such things"

A fighter, perhaps a soldier of some kind. Doesn't seem rough enough for a mercenary or bandit. Smart enough to ask questions though...could be a spy but his untrained reactions would say otherwise...interesting he mused to himself as he listened tot he questions. He had to laugh slightly at the last one, it was too delightfully innocent.

"Must have come from very far away indeed...Finn. My name is Alrim, by the way. Trouble though...depends on what you mean. Mostly they leave the city alone. Most trouble for Hama Valon comes from outside so it seems, attacks from the Shadow, Whitecloaks...and so on"

"As for how they came to be there...perhaps a question for a question, no?" he said with a small smile, eyes watching the man carefully, "they have been here for a long time. I suspect they will be here until the Last Battle and hopefully beyond"

"So...why is it a warrior comes to Hama Valon and asks questions about things most people would know at least a little about?" he asked softly.

It was a puzzle indeed, he had to admit. Who didn't know about the White Tower? And by extension what the Grey and Black Towers were like - roughly at least? A suspicion was seeding itself but he'd rule out duplicity first, it was the prudent thing to do.
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » September 7th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Finn listened, turning each piece of information over before filing it away. The Shadow had attacked the city. Curious. It seemed too far south for such a thing to occur, but then the Westlands had considerably less discipline than Seanchan, and certainly less cooperation between its nations. Perhaps the Shadowspawn were able to simply...slip through the cracks. Disturbing thought, that. The Empress could put an end to such dangers.

Except I have forsaken the Ever-Victorious Army. And where did that leave him? Alone with a stranger in a city that made his hair stand on end, apparently.

He frowned slightly at the mention of Whitecloaks. What are they? He had heard them mentioned several times, and never in a friendly tone. They did not seem relevant to his concern and therefore he had not felt the need to ask for more information. Now he wondered if that, too, had been a mistake. If they would attack a city of marath’damane they surely were a force to be reckoned with.

“They told us channelers would break the world,” he said abruptly, turning away from the man giving him the too-quizzical look. “That they must be coll- controlled, for the sake of humanity. I grew up hearing the tales and I have seen the damage they do with my own eyes. After that experience, the tales seemed reasonable.” He fell silent, searching for words that would not come.

Eventually he found a safe way to express his thoughts. “But this city is here. If they told the truth, how can this place exist? How is this land not a barren wasteland from shore to shore?”

Something occurred to him then and he turned back to face Alrim. “I have heard that my people wreaked havoc here some years ago,” he said, his voice flat. “I cannot speak for them, but I mean you and yours no harm. I simply….do not understand.”
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm

"Seanchan" he said, it was less a suspicion now and more a statement of fact. It was hard to keep his tone neutral given his experiences, however far they were removed from himself, but he tried.

It was a strange time indeed if such people chose to come to their home without apparent threat. He could entertain the idea of him being a spy but it seemed farfetched at that point. Still he would report the incident to be on the safe side. In some ways he pitied the man. If he stayed he would not be well liked should his heritage be noted. Collars were loathed in their part of the world. Even so his hand shifted to the hilt of his sword, just in case.

"I can't see where you're coming from with that logic," he said with the tone he used upon his Drin, soft and calm, "but perhaps it is more what you're running from. What matters isn't what is the worst but what stops you from falling"

He sighed, he knew he should really run the man in for what he was and where he had come from but he had not true cause to think he was a threat. He had asked questions and as far as he knew there were no Seanchan this far north in any land in any large force. He looked at Finn for a few, long moments before jerking his head sideways in a 'follow me' motion that was universal.

"You want answers then you won't get them here. I should report you, your kind are a threat....but I won't. I would teach you. Threats never made me respond much when I was younger, don't think they will work when you're older either"

"And as an aside it is my experience that cities don't care who runs them. Not really. Nobles, channellers...it matters little to the people beyond cultural pride. Their worries are the same regardless. Where their next meal comes from, who will buy their goods...and on and on. Cities exist because they can, not necessarily because someone wants them to"

With that he eyed the man and began to walk slowly away, hoping he would be followed.
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » September 10th, 2017, 5:21 am

Finn’s eyes narrowed as Alrim turned away. You want answers then you won’t get them here. That could mean only one thing: the Grey Tower. The man who had witnessed a grolm tear its handler into five pieces thought his guts might turn to water at the very idea.

“I am not running,” he told the man’s retreating back, some hot emotion other than confusion finally touching his voice. “At least, not away.” His only response was another quick flip of the fingers. Follow, that gesture said, airy and commanding as a bloody general. Muttering darkly, the Seanchan man adjusted the straps holding his pack on his shoulders and moved after the strange person with bells in his hair.

Alrim led him down the wide avenue away from the M’sanndane. When they reached the gate, he turned uphill. The buildings to either side perfectly framed the tall, glass spire ahead of them. It glittered in the sun, rising so high Finn thought it might actually brush the clouds. He had avoided looking at it as much as possible since his arrival in the city; now he had no choice but to stare as he followed his new companion up the street.

Their silence seemed companionable enough, and Finn let it continue for some time as they walked. Eventually he had a question for Alrim himself. “You said first that I am a threat, and then that you would teach me,” he said, glancing sideways at the brown man. “What would-” he cut off, all color draining from his face as a thought struck him. “You are not one of them, are you? The sul’dam tested me each year. If you hope to enlist me, you are wasting your time.” He kept his voice steady. Barely. He also took two solid steps away from his companion, as if such a small distance could protect him.

Against what? The Seanchan man did not rightly know.
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

"Don't be mad, I'm far more dashing than that lot. I need to work for my fires" he said with a note of amusement though he did stop to look at him directly, "I give you my word that I cannot channel. To my knowledge anyway, and apparently I am too old to learn now anyway. Which probably means you are too. So no need to stand half a street away"

He continued the walk, though slower this time, as he thought upon the other question he had been asked. Why was he going out of his way and making Finn an offer? He had a vague suspicion that, deep down, it was a way of erasing another portion of his past guilt. That by helping another wayward soul without a place to rest he could somehow change the past. A foolish notion but at least it'd give him a warm feeling for a while. There were practical concerns too, of course, but in truth he could have dealt with those with a rap to the back of the man's head and dragging him to the Tower bodily.

"A boy is a threat if he is given a sword he doesn't know what to do with. A threat to other, to himself," he said slowly, "until to teach them how to use it. Then they become useful, they can use the sword to help others. To do good things. Or terrible things. But I would hope you were better than that" he said, a slight edge to his tone that was suggestive of the fact he would not allow him to be that way.

"Right now you are a danger to yourself more than to us. I might be wrong, you could be a spy...but I'd wager against it. You have too much honour and can't even stand being said to be a liar. A poor spy you would make. Besides which you are already discovered, so you would be useless if you were and would flee instead of follow"

"That leaves traveller. Form afar. One I doubt could return. You want to know about this place and the people in it, I don't throw away people who actually want to know things. But eventually your questions will make others take notice and they mgiht not be as nice and polite as I am. Better that you take the initiative and follow me"

"What do you have to lose? You get your answers, I get to show you we are not so bad and if you like you might stay for a time to see that we try to do as much good as we can with what we have. Where else would you go? Tar Valon? The Black Tower? You'll not get a better reception than here, for what that is worth"
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik