Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Re: Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Post by Sunny » September 21st, 2017, 5:08 am

Finn appraised the distance between himself and Alrim with a critical eye. He certainly had not put half the street between them, but conversation would certainly be easier if he were closer. His new acquaintance might be lying, but...truly, a few steps would not make that much difference. Carefully avoiding acknowledging what he was doing in any way, the Seanchan warrior took two measured steps closer.

As he continued to speak, Finn could not help but compare the Westlander to Kimuko. His old drill instructor had had odd ideas, or so his other masters had claimed. No matter how odd,the grizzled old soldier found worth in every new recruit, guiding, instructing, and pushing them forward until they achieved greater skill than they had believed possible. He had said odd things about threats and swords as well. A slight smile crossed the young man’s face and he stood a little taller at the memory, but his companion soon brought him back to the present.

“The Court of the Nine Moons has better agents than I, should the Empress, may she-” he cut off. It was less about the indiscretion regarding his country’s abilities as it was realizing, once again, that he had abandoned that life forever. A headsman’s axe was the best he had to hope for should he return. “I would not be the one they send,” he corrected himself, his voice measured and steady. “I am clumsy with words and awkward with strangers. Poor material for a spy, don’t you think?” His wry smile could not be feigned.

Alrim continued to speak, and Finn listened quietly, at least for a time. The White Tower or the Black? Better to go to Shayol Ghul itself! The thought had an edge of hysteria he did not like. The soldier clamped his lips shut and walked in silence for some time after the Westlander finished speaking. Dark eyes studied first the ground, then the buildings to either side, anything to avoid looking at the glass tower ahead. It had to be better than the other options presented. I will ask my questions and then I will leave, he told himself with firm resolution he did not truly feel.

Eventually he grunted and looked at Alrim. “It is a generous offer,” he said. “I have heard that this Tower trains men and women to fight for them, is that what you mean me to do?”

When he turned to look ahead, he realized they had nearly reached the gates. He could no longer see the top of the tower, only the long, tree-lined boulevard leading up to it. People in clothing both fine and work-ready hurried along the white marble path, apparently oblivious to anything but their own business. He saw a dark-haired woman in pure white in their midst, and a slim, pale-haired man in stark black. Another man, tall and broad-shouldered, wore a cloak that seemed to disappear into the trees behind him; he hurried along next to a round woman in green who did not seem to walk so much as float. Beyond the crowd he could see a tall, arched door that led into the Tower itself. Light glinted off the glass walls even here, giving everything an odd, ethereal glow, as if they floated underwater.

“It is...not what I expected,” he whispered. Only when he spoke did he realize he had stopped short as he stared. For once, he could not make himself care overmuch what the other man thought. “Channelers will break the world," he reiterated. "That’s what they told me. They have to be collared or they will destroy us down to the youngest babe. Have to be!” he inched closer to the gate, mind unwilling, but heart more hopeful than he dared admit.

“How can it all be a lie?” He blurted finally, swinging around to face his companion. Their eyes met for the first time; Finn wet his lips, but did not look away. “Do they really live here in peace, Alrim? If they do, I- I-” He could not find the words. A child-faced Meilen ran through his mind again, giggling as she blew flower fluff in his face, and he thought his heart might crack in two right there in the middle of the road.

"If it is true, if you can prove it is true, I will accept your kind offer." He said finally.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Stranger in a Strange Land (Andy)

Post by Andy » September 24th, 2017, 12:59 pm

"Oh I'm sure she has but have no fear, we are not so weak and easily taken in. We may not seek conflict with anything but the Shadow but that doesn't mean we can't fight if needed. Come, let me show you around"

He mused upon the almost panicked words about lies and reality. He could sympathize, Finn was having his world views slowly torn down and like as not felt as if there were no foundations to hold to until he could try to build his own philosophies. Alrim had never fully experienced that but he had come close in some regards, it was a terrifying experience.

"People are told what they need to be," he said with a thoughtful tone, "the reality is often different from what leaders will tell you. In politics anyway. Never liked politics, dirty game. Battlefields are more honest"

He continued to walk and soon enough they were across the threshold and he led Finn to the Yards the longer way around, taking him through the other areas first so that he could see it was no place of war and hatred. On the surface at least. The reality, as always, was more complex. What mattered most was that Finn got smiled at, they were both waved to and it was demonstrated to the man that there was nothing to fear unless he caused trouble. He kept a slow pace so that it could all be taken in and he chose his moment carefully to talk once more.

"But yes, they live in peace, for the most part. Any arguments are settled without setting fires and those who break such rules are dealt with harshly. As to fighting for the Tower...it is your choice. I would suggest that you try it out, you will have a bed and food regularly at the least and that's worth a few weeks looking around"

"Afternoon Bells, who's this then?"

"His name is Finn, Kyle, and he's a decent sort. Thought I'd let him see what we're about"

"Another stray you're bringing us? You realise we only have so many buildings right?"

"We have enough for decent people, least that way they can balance out you're crooked kind"

There was laughter as they passed the man by, a guard that Alrim quite liked actually, Kyle was a sound guard and dependable. He also had a soft spot for the Learning Ranks that let him bend the rules every so often to help them out some.

"You see Finn?" he asked softly, stepping into the disciplined noise of the Yards finally, "there are no monsters here. Least not more than anywhere else. People are people. It's just our people can do a bit more than most. What do you think?"
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik