Entering a New Life [Attn: Bedwyn, son of Llyr]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Entering a New Life [Attn: Bedwyn, son of Llyr]

Post by Bella » July 1st, 2017, 7:56 pm

[subtitle]Isla Arkema[/subtitle]
She wasn't inside the Grey Tower...yet.

At present, Isla and Bedwyn were inside the city that surrounded the Tower. A more unusual pair of traveling companions you were unlikely to meet, but there they were. Although it was...so strange, she had been grateful for the Ogier's company. He had helped her purchase a dress--it was hastily found and ill-fitting, but better than the shift she'd escaped in.

The stories she had told had been limited, although entirely the truth. Her wounds had somewhat healed on the journey back, though perhaps not as quick as they should have.

"So that's it, is it?" she asked with trepidation, seeing the gleaming tower in the distance over the horizon of Hama Valon. It wasn't too late to turn back, right? She didn't really have to do this, right? Yet she knew the truth. She knew she could very well die without proper training, and to forego it knowing that fact would be akin to suicide. "It looks..." she trailed off, not sure what she thought of the place.

So long had she been taught, had it hammered into her, that this was a den of evil. Yet, here she was.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: Entering a New Life [Attn: Bedwyn, son of Llyr]

Post by Craig » July 1st, 2017, 8:12 pm

Bedwyr, son of Llyr, son of Bryn
Bedwyr's attention rose briefly away from the crowds moving past them. Beyond the rooftops of houses and shops and past the stone walls shone the Grey Tower. The sun seemed to glow from within the heart of the structure, but that was just a reflection of the real thing. He shied away from the light, moving his interest back to Isla.

"It is just a building," he mumbled in a slow, loud voice. "It is not even the first building to be called the Grey Tower. That was about two hundred years ago." He hummed tunelessly as he looked back up to the glass edifice. "It is tall."

The height was not really that fascinating to Bedwyr but he was trying to ease Isla's spirits. Even for a human, it was clear that she was in distress. His ears partly drooped in recognition of that. He wanted her to be happy, although he understood and appreciated why she was not.

"Maybe we can get some tea?" Bedwyr suggested. "Nothing says we have to do anything today. Or even tomorrow." He itched his wide nose with a broad finger. "We could spend more time shopping, mm?"
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm

The idea of staying away from the Tower for a while longer was highly tempting. Perhaps just turn around and not head there at all...but no, she had come this far.

Isla ran her hand over her curls, messily held back off her face. The idea of a proper bath and clothing was equally tempting, but she also knew where she was likely able to find it. "Some tea would be nice," she said thoughtfully, but then offered a faint, almost weak, smile up (and up and up) at the Ogier.

"However, I think not on the shopping. You have covered my expenses enough on this trip, for which I am most grateful, but I don't want to take any further advantage of your kindness."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » July 4th, 2017, 11:27 am

Bedwyr
Bedwyr's ears rose up upon seeing the tiny smile forming on Isla's face. He smiled himself with a grin that seemed to split across the entire width of his face. "I have received much kindness from you in turn," he countered. "If anyone has been taking an advantage, I feel it was me. It is very rare for a human to accept my company for such a long trip, but you have done so with grace and humility. You are a true friend, Isla."

With a satisfied rumble rising in his throat, Bedwyr leaned forward to get a better look up and down the street. Unlike the various towns and villages they had crossed through, Hama Valon actually had dedicated tea rooms. The only trouble was locating one that could accompany Ogier guests.

"Do you mind if we sit outside?" Bedwyr asked without looking down. He'd long learned that his voice travelled far even when unintended. "I see a lovely bench over there by that shop. It would be good to sit and rest for a bit."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 4th, 2017, 9:48 pm

She was...almost amused by his asking.

What would he have done, she suddenly had to wonder, if she said no? He certainly wasn't going to fit inside any of these places, so there really was not another option. They had to sit outside if they were to sit together. That was likely the option for if she said no--that they would not remain together.

"Of course," she said aloud, not giving any voice to the thoughts within.

Isla took care of going into the tea room to fetch them tea, letting them know about her companion and they offered what they could by way of well-sized china which they had one of their waiters bring out to the bench for her, after she had paid and gone to wait with him at the seat he'd indicated.

Each with their tea in hand, she sat and looked at all the passing people. It seemed...idyllic, almost, and yet she could not forget why she was there, or her unusual traveling companion. "My people are not very liked throughout the nations," she said, "though I don't think I realized how much till I was no longer with them. You've been kinder than most."

Given the state she had been when he found her, he knew almost the entirety of her tale. Not of everything her once-family had done to her, but he knew who she had been, who she almost still was, and that they had been cruel to her and she just barely escaped.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » July 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Bedwyr
"Your people? Oh, I see, mm." Nodding softly, Bedwyr perused the baked delights in the tea shop's window. For a moment he thought Isla meant Amadicians rather than Whitecloaks. Ogiers were differentiated by their stedding, but they had no equivalent of the humans' armies. No point in wishing that the humans would all just get along. He had witnessed first hand what humans did to one another, and it was a story repeated in countless books about an untold number of armies across the centuries.

The Ogier moved his attention away from the window and back to his troubled companion. "The Grey Tower is very accepting. You wouldn't be the first... of your kind there." He peered down into his tea. "Considering that the... your people have attacked the Grey Tower in the past, it's a remarkable thing for humans to forgive and forget." His rumbling voice grew more approving with that last statement.

Bedwyr drunk very carefully and slowly from the cup, making sure to neither spill a drop nor crush the delicate vessel between his thumb and forefinger. He replaced the cup with only a slight rattle against the saucer.

"Kindness begets kindness, Isla. If you sow some yourself, I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised at the bounty you'll reap."
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » July 8th, 2017, 2:01 am

Isla fidgeted uncomfortably as she sipped her tea. It was a lot to take in, and she tried to do just that, but not all of it seemed to process through her poor, befuddled, traumatized mind. She took another sip of her tea before she could even begin to reply. His words made sense, on some level, but it was hard to imagine actually achieving it.

"I feel as thought I can barely keep myself in one piece," she admitted with a hint of dejection. "It seems difficult to imagine being able to do much more than that." She still had doubts about whatever acceptance she may or may not find at the Tower as well, despite what her Ogier friend said, but she elected not to voice it.

Not wanting to dwell on that anymore, lest she not keep together, she moved on. "And what will you do? Now that we're here?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » July 13th, 2017, 11:02 am

Bedwyr
Bedwyr's eyebrows visibly twitched as he blinked. "Me?" he asked in a tone that denoted surprise. It came out in a long rumble that made the question almost seem theatrical in its presentation. "Well I, I thought I may stay. For a while."

His large eyes carefully watched for his companion's reaction. He felt guilty about his motivations for staying and feared that Isla may have deduced him and wouldn't take kindly to his intrusion.

"The Grey Tower sometimes has a need for Ogier stonemasons, not that I'm very good at that. And they also have a wonderfully lush garden. I may sing to the flowers and trees, if they will let me." He still looked concerned; this was just padding out his justifications for staying without actually admitting to the truth. Lying was not one of his strong suits.

"There will be a bed for me somewhere," he needlessly continued. "Unlike some human settlements, Hama Valon is familiar with the comings and goings of my people. I have coin and someone will be looking to make a profit, I'm certain."
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » July 18th, 2017, 3:06 am

No, lying wasn't his strong suit...although Isla did not know what it was he was covering up. She could tell that he wasn't being entirely forthcoming about his answer, but she had no idea what it was that he wasn't telling her. Tilting her head slightly as she looked up at him, she listened and contemplated but didn't respond to it.

Isla wanted to ask, but she didn't. She didn't think it was her place, but she felt her brows knit and lips press together slightly of their own accord as she pondered it.

"Well..." she began slowly. "It's good that you'll have a comfortable place here, then. I imagine you'll find your stay easier than I will in many ways, and I wish you the best of it." She paused thoughtfully, then continued as lightly as she could. "Will I see you again while you're here? It would be nice to see a friendly face sometimes?"

Craig
Librarian

Re: Entering a New Life [Attn: Bedwyr, son of Llyr]

Post by Craig » July 18th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Bedwyr
The Ogier's face lit up like a Cairhienin street during the Feast of Lights. "Of course!" Bedwyr nodded with enthusiasm. "I feel like my time outside the stedding has only just begun. Of course I shall keep close." He took a celebratory sip on his tea, leaving the tiny vessel utterly drained.

His face remained jubilant even as he spoke in a more serious tone. "I have few friends amongst your people, but you are one of them Isla. I do not intend to go far away." Part of that was due to the book he intended to write about her, but the larger motivation was to be around if Isla needed his assistance. There was no deception when he called her a friend, nor when he said he had few outside of his own kin. His goal was simple: to keep Isla as safe and happy as one could from a distance.

Care was always needed around humans, but Bedwyr took additional time to properly lift the teapot to replenish both of their cups. He set it down without so much as a rattle of its lid.

"You are brave to come here Isla, but I shall share that burden of bravery with you. Should you ever need my aid, I shall not be far."
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik