Merriment By Moonlight [Open]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Merriment By Moonlight [Open]

Post by Andy » July 15th, 2017, 12:09 pm

"Ah yes, the Citadel. Where the mighty fought and the Shadow fell. And the stars shone with the appointed fate of the Creator," he said as he finished off the drink Olin assed him, it did indeed help with his throat, "to be honest I'd rather they didn't talk of it. Far as I remember it was all blood, dirt, getting hurt and dwindling hope" he sighed as he pushed himself up, trying not to sound bitter.

"But enough of such things," he said as a clapped Olin on the shoulder, "this evening is for enjoyment and better things. You are right, we should not keep such pretty things waiting. Especially when they have as strong an arm as their tongue is sharp" he barked a laugh as he led them down into the throng.

It was busy indeed, with dwindling space for people to stand let alone sit. There was a small bit of cheering, drunkenly of course, as they stepped down and the beneficiaries of the night were pointed out. For his part he simply waved them off and looked around to find their company. Olin was clearly thinking much the similar as he forged his own path and Alrim stepped in behind him, still searching. They were difficult to see amidst the throng but to her credit Giselle had apparently found them a corner table for the merriment.

Always did look after her friends he told himself.

"There they are," he pointed them out to Olin, "beauties indeed. And do not worry, or hide your badges away. Be proud of who you are, what you are and they will love you for it. Few in Hama Valon don't realise they owe their lives to the Tower many times over. Apparently. What's say we just get near and they can watch for themselves, see if they want to join" he grinned and began pushing the way through the crowd.

It was harder than he expected but the strength he had managed to garner over his training made it easier to forge the way, checking that the other man was following. The dancing almost came upon them before he saw it and he had to push to the side a bit to skirt to edges. He found somewhere within view of their potential company and sat upon the corner of a table, watching the dancers perform with energy.

"See, told you it was fun. Ready to get sucked in when you are my friend, I believe they will just pass by and drag us in if we allowed it"

He would wait for Olin of course, he didn't even now if the man knew the dances, though he suspected he did. Still it was no fun diving in and leaving the man alone in the crowd.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » July 18th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Olin
Olin had made his way down to the main level of the tavern, following Alrim as he led the deftly through the crowd. Between the man’s strength; and the fact that many wanted a chance to cheer and speak with the one who had paid for much of the night, they were able to eventually claim a spot at the crowds edge.

Olin could see that several tables had been flipped and stored away for a dance floor to be cleared, and he saw the maid Giselle was already dancing and moving to the music. “Don't hide yourself away, show your pins and scars with pride. Everyone here knows they owe one thing or another to the Grey Tower,” Alrim had stated over the din of the crowd, and with a belly full of wine and good food, Olin took the chance to set worries and cares away.

The next time the dancers broke pairs, he stepped in and began to dance with a serving girl about his age. The music was fast, and he stumbled through the steps at first; but all the time spent on the sands of the Warder Yard had given him decent footwork, and he managed to avoid stepping on her toes or crashing into others.

The music was lively, and Olin was grateful that he wasn't attempting a court dance at a fancy ball. The steps here seemed to repeat enough that he eventually began to get the feel for the movements, and by the second song he was confident enough that he could look up from his feet at his partner.

Bright blue eyes looked at him, a hint of mischief and a smile on a pretty round face was the next thing he noticed. Thick chestnut hair, the heat and sweat from dancing having her curls hang down her neck flowed and suddenly Olin was jarred from behind, another dancer accidentally crowding him.

With just enough grace to keep himself from crashing into her, Olin stumbled past the woman and crashed into a table, knocking off cups and flagons. Amidst the curses and the crockery, Olin rose and flashed a few silver coins at the men. He had no interest in fighting, and face flushed he stood up, hoping the men settled and gave him another chance to dance
"Every man is the hero of his own song," Tad Williams.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 22nd, 2017, 4:30 pm

It was a lively evening indeed and Alrim had to laugh as he watched Olin get to know the steps and get into the mood of the crowd. He watched from the outskirts for a time, taking a drink from Giselle as she passed, with a smile this time, and looked the way she gestured with her chin. The friends were waiting but were watching them. Their little game, seeing who made the first move. In his experience they usually won but it paid to let them wait a while at times. He finished the drink quickly and when the time came he stepped into the throng to dance alongside his new friend.

The steps were energetic and fast, increasing in speed as they continued and partners switched, leaving one another before meeting up once more a few partners later. It reminded him of some of the village dances he had seen over the years, the ones that the youngest attended when they were figuring out who they were and who they wanted to be with. Wild abandon was infectious and he found himself captivated by it, right up until he saw Olin stumble after being jogged by someone from behind. The men stood from their table as Olin was apologising and Alrim stepped out of the dance to stand by him.

"There a problem?" he asked with a smile that said it could disappear quickly.

"He lost us our drinks" one protested.

"Drinks we bought, I'd think. I'm taking my friend away, you should get another drink and enjoy the evening" he flashed them a look as he put his arm around Olin's shoulder and pulled him away.

He heard them mutter as they walked away and hoped that they would forget the event and the pair of them. Still it was possible that as the drink flowed their anger might rise and return, it was best not to linger too long.

"Let's get ourselves some better company eh? And maybe a bit out of the way from those lot" he suggested.
~
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » July 24th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Olin
Olin was glad when Alrim stepped forward and helped him get his bearings. His feet had tripped him up after an innocent enough shove caused him to stumble. And as the men grumbled, he was glad that Alrim reminding them of the free drinks was enough to smooth things over.

Though the men grumbled, and Olin knew he would need to settle up for the table damages before the night was over, Alrim steadied him and over the din of the music beginning once more suggested, “Let's find some better company, preferably on the other side.”

“Company sounds great, let’s go my friend,” said Olin cheerfully as he looked around for the dancing girl who had been his partner. He spotted her, kicking her heels and enjoying a dance with another patron and while he was minded to cut in, he saw Alrim notice the table where Gisele and a few of her friends had gathered.

There seemed to be several women, all enjoying the music and dancing and with a quick brush of his coat to remove any crumbs or food from the table, Olin followed along with Alrim as he led the way. He was glad for the dancing which had helped to clear some of the fog from the wine in his head, and as he moved through the tables he noted a few pairs that were quite good dancers.
"Every man is the hero of his own song," Tad Williams.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 26th, 2017, 4:18 pm

He put on his best smile as they both approached the table though he was sure they saw through it they had seen it quite often. Their eyes did linger upon Olin though, and with warmth too. A new character was always welcome with them and whatever they felt about himself they all knew he never introduced anyone to them unless he thought they were decent and worth the time. He clapped Olin on the shoulder with a laugh.

"Giselle you know but Harriet, Kiara and Fay, this is my good friend Olin. He's quite the dashing hero and a thoroughly decent sort. Came her to...broaden his horizons. I told him you were the most dazzling lasses in the city" he heard them titter and saw them roll their eyes at him but they did smile at Olin and greet him individually.

Oh to be newly known and without blemish of reputation he told himself wryly.

"We were just dancing over there when Olin here was pushed from behind, very poor form. I thought that you could give him a better dance than that"

"They can dance with him Alrim Farshera but you are staying here for the moment. Got a few words to have with you" Giselle eyed him with hands upon hips, not a good sign he knew.

"Tell you what Olin, have fun for a bit. I'll be okay, honestly. Maybe" he grinned at the man and Giselle was silent until the other three women had taken Olin off for some well deserved fun.

He sighed deeply and sat down once Giselle had sat too, always best to be polite around her, she had a tongue like a blade and wasn't afraid of giving the drinkers a good thump around the skull if she thought they deserved it. He wasn't quite sure why she was acting this way though, she was usually so friendly.

"What is it Giselle?"

"Where have you been the last few weeks?"

"All over the place. Travelling a bit, can't exactly say no when they order me to"

"And what about our agreement?"

"It still exists but I can't be here all of the time. I'm trying to find solutions"

"I don't like it"

"Neither do I but what can I do? Things seem pretty calm at the moment though, surely you do-"

"We had another few last week, weren't too nice either. They roughed up some of the servers you know"

"I didn't know," he frowned at her, "look, I need more to go on you know. Who is it that keeps doing it?"

"I don't know"

Alrim sighed and pushed himself up before extending his hand to her, she looked like she could do with some fun too. She scowled at his hand before taking it with a sniffing sound. She eyed him, once more with daggers, and he shrugged and held his free hand up. Just friends, she knew. They were beside Olin and the others soon enough and even though the dance brought smiles to all and shortened their breath he just hoped that nothing untoward would happen this evening, he was supposed to be celebrating.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik