One Year Later [attn: Damon]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Elan
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Jaren Marle, Asha'man
SC: Mael Akashi, Asha'man
TC: Delaine Taborwin, Novice
QC: Valentin Akashi, Soldier

One Year Later [attn: Damon]

Post by Elan » May 12th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Jaren -- No Longer the Laundry Dedicated
Jaren walked the streets of Hama Valon, wondering how it was possible that a year felt like it had lasted simultaneously at least five years, and practically no time at all. Not that he was particularly bothered by the oddity. Right now, not many things bothered him at all, only the fact that he was alone — Johan was on a mission out of the Tower and Tristram had been sent to the Citadel some days earlier — but even that couldn’t ruin his mood much. He was finally done with the year of being the Laundry Dedicated, and he was going to celebrate that.

He still didn’t know the various taverns of Hama Valon as well as he might, but he had a good memory and he found his way almost without thinking to the tavern where Johan had taken him that night almost a year ago. He’d tried to teach the Ji’val to dance, which had been awkward enough, but not nearly as awkward as crying on his shoulder later on. It had been… an interesting night.

Tonight would be quite different, even if Jaren ended up simply having a pint on his own and going back to the Tower to sleep.

As he entered the tavern and got himself a drink, however, he noticed somebody he knew. Well, 'knew' was probably stretching it, but their paths had crossed — what was the name again? Olin, yes. Tristram’s former roommate. Tristram might not be especially fond of the man, but Jaren had thought he seemed like a decent sort.

Though what he was doing out in the city was a good question; Soldiers weren’t allowed… Oh. Unless, of course, he was no longer a Soldier. And indeed, as he got closer, Jaren saw the sword pin on the man’s collar. “Congratulations, Dedicated,” Jaren said with a smile as he reached the table where Olin was sitting. “Do you mind if I join you?”

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Re: One Year Later [attn: Damon]

Post by Damon » May 13th, 2017, 3:28 am

Olin

Olin sat at a table in one of the many places to eat in Hama Valon. There were several that he had learned to avoid, the men at those places drank too much and were to quick to call cheat. With the sword pin on his coat, and the scars over his eye lending him a fearsome look it seldom went past mutters, but he still preferred to relax with music and friendlier company.

And so one of his few outings found him enjoying a mug, while listening to the entertainment warm up later. Most of the serving girls knew that the men from Grey Tower had money to spend, and Olin's warmth combined with the coins he left on the table each time had Rose circling his table with a friendly smile and warm touch.

And so Olin had been watching her flow through the tables rather than the front door, and he was surprised when Jaren began sitting at the table, "Go ahead, sit. I wasn't expecting anyone tonight, the crowd just keeps my table free out of courtesy," said Olin as he waved the other man down. Using his other hand to catch Rose's eye, he motioned for another cup. He remembered a day about a year ago when Jaren had caught him in the Channeling Yards, well after dinner had started. He had been desperate to follow what he thought his dreams were demanding, but rather than marching him to the Master of Soldiers, Jaren had showed him leniency. So Olin figured he owed the man at least a drink or two now that they shared the sword pin, "What brings you into Hama Valon tonight?"
"Every man is the hero of his own song," Tad Williams.

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » May 13th, 2017, 7:57 am

Jaren
Jaren smiled as he sat, and he didn’t let the smile falter even as he got a better look at the scar on the other man’s face. That was new, and it was worse than it had seemed from afar. What had happened? And more importantly, if it had happened within the Tower grounds, why had there not been a Yellow to Heal it properly? Now it was too late; you couldn’t Heal something that was already healed once.

Pushing the thought aside — it was none of his business, especially as there was nothing he could do about it — Jaren replied, “I have things to celebrate. An end to a particularly tedious phase in my… studies.” He shook his head with a wry chuckle; he might as well call it what it was. “By which I mean an epic penance. Long story. Anyway, it’s in the past now.” And now he’d just have to catch up on his actual studies, prove himself worthy of the Dragon pin, pass whatever tests there were left, and…

It sounded so simple when he put it like that. In reality, things rarely were. In reality, he could only do his best and hope.

“What about you?” he asked. “How… have you been?”

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » May 15th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Olin

"I'm doing well enough. I was fortunate enough that my chores weren't much more than I had at home. But it's nice to be done with most of them. Took some getting used to being left in charge of Soldiers though," chuckled Olin as he listened to the music and enjoyed the ambience of the lively pub.

"When I'm not in classes myself I mostly spend my time with the guard, been learning some of their drills and covering a few gatehouse shifts to get familiar with what the men do. I tried my hand at Healing, but was an appalling failure at that," Olin finished with a wry grin. He knew many channellers struggled to master everything, but he knew there was little point in chasing skills he wasn't suited for. As Miahala had said when he spoke with her, the strength of the many is what helped the Grey Tower.

Olin was curious as to what Jaren could be celebrating, but the custom of not pushing into someone else's punishment or business was as strong at the Grey Tower as it had been in Olin's home so he settled for a toast, "To success and pushing for the Dragon."

Elan
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Elan » May 21st, 2017, 2:57 pm

Jaren
Jaren grinned back and raised his glass as well. “To success,” he repeated, and took a long draught. The ale was good enough; though he usually preferred wine, his time in Hama Valon, associating — and drinking — with other men of the Grey Tower, he’d learnt to appreciate a good pint as well.

“You’re still thinking of the Green Ajah, then?” he asked. From what Jaren could tell, through his limited interactions with the man, the Battle Ajah seemed like a good fit for Olin. “Have you been to the Citadel yet?” Dedicated were sent up there sometimes, for various reasons — some as punishment, some to experience the reality of the Blightborder and the duties of its defenders. Jaren wasn’t sure what the case was with Tristram; possibly both. “That sounds like it could be your kind of thing.”

Then he realised what he was doing — trying to poke his nose into other people’s business — and flashed a slightly self-deprecating smile. “Sorry. I don’t mean to be pushy. Do feel free to tell me to bugger off if I’m being annoying.”

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » May 22nd, 2017, 6:00 am

Olin

Olin grinned as the other Dedicated returned his toast. Now that he had earned the Sword pin, he had come to realize that he had not truly spent a lot of time with his peers. Part of it had been Tristram, his roommate had soured his opinion on some of the Soldiers, and now he was seeing that he had spent too long buried in classes and pushing for rank.

Still, there was time and drink to enjoy, and he hoped enough time to connect. "The Green seems to be it, I haven't had much of a chance to work with the Blues or Reds, but I know White and brown are out. I was an abysmal student in my Healing classes, so I doubt I will be wearing the chord beside you. But I've enjoyed my time at the Gates, and will be at the Citadel soon. I needed to round out my understanding of the duties of soldiers for the Grey Tower first," said Olin with a grin. He knew many people would find someone asking about his business bothersome, but he did not.

"And don't worry about me, short of Ajah business once the time comes, there is little I'm worried about sharing. As Miahala pointed out to me, the strength of the Grey Tower is in its connections, and teamwork. No where else would so many of us work together," said Olin with a smile.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik