Merchants, Cheats and Gaidins oh my! [attn: Bella and Andraste. Thread Roulette]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Merchants, Cheats and Gaidins oh my! [attn: Bella and Andraste. Thread Roulette]

Post by Roan » April 9th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Riahana Gaidin
Overnight spring showers cleaned a lot of the dust away from Hama Valon. The streets were still somewhat damp as Riahana made her way to the open air market in one of the squares not too far from the gates to the Tower. Clear blue skies and cool air kissed by the sun’s warmth seemed to put a bounce in everyone’s step and a smile on most faces. There was even a hint of a smile on Ria’s lips as she slowly walked amongst the stalls.

The Mistress of Arms rested her hands on her sword belt as her cloak waved around her with each slow step. She was on the hunt for something specific for her husband to mark their anniversary that was fast approaching. In the public eye, Riahana and Gareth were pretty reserved, but in private, the pair still often doted on each other as if theirs was a new found love. He could still make her giggle like a schoolgirl when he put his mind to it, and she could occasionally make him tongue-tied.

Warmth blossomed through the bond, and the hint of a smile broadened just a bit as Ria found herself in front of a Jeweler’s stall. Pendants, necklaces, earrings, bracelets and rings of all sort were laid out on his tables. The detail in the man’s work seemed extraordinary, and Ria’s eye was drawn to a collection of rings meant for men.

Moving closer to the tray of signet rings, the Gaidin looked each one over, hoping to find one that would be perfect for Gareth.

“And how may I help a noble Gaidin of the Tower?” the man who ran the booth stepped over and offered a warm, charming smile. Standing a head shorter than Ria, he placed his hands on either side of the tray.

Ria glanced up and offered a small smile, “I am looking for something for my husband. He is a Healer.”

The man’s eyes lit up, “Ah! I have just the one.” He reached under the table and pulled out another tray of silver signet rings, setting it over the one Ria’d been looking over. His fingers went up and down the columns until he stopped, “Here it is!” Picking up the ring in question, he handed it to Ria, “It is pure silver. The gem on top is a rare yellow citrine, and the symbol that adorns it means ‘Healer’ to the Aiel.”

Raising both brows, Ria looked to the man before turning her attention to the ring, and taking to have a closer look. “Did you make this?”

“I made everything you see before you, honorable Gaidin,” the man said with a slight bow of his head.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Merchants, Cheats and Gaidins oh my! [attn: Bella and Andraste. Thread Roulette]

Post by Bella » April 10th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Andraste was spending her free time--what of it she had--in Hama Valon that day. She enjoyed walking through the merchant streets, because it made her think about home. It pleased her further that she could think about home without that chasm of pain opening up in her gut now; she could think about her family, Kandor, Belenus and Chandra... All of it, and be...okay.

This was what brought her strolling down the street at the same time that the Mistress of Arms--who she had obviously never met, but had seen pointed out to her before--was shopping.

The Accepted didn't want to interrupt, although she recognized the man the Gaidin was dealing with. Fact was, she'd had some encounters with him that left her with an unsavory taste in her mouth and so she lingered, hanging back to watch the interaction. Not that she typically eavesdropped, but it was public space.

When she heard him extolling the virtues of the pure silver ring and the citrine and the Healer symbol, she'd heard enough.

"Please forgive me, Mistress," Andra said, stepping up to the taller woman and giving a curtsy of respect. "This man is a weasel." The next declaration came easily. He squawked with indignation, but she whirled on him. "Jalinar, you fiend, that is not pure silver nor is it a real citrine, which makes me doubt the symbol as well. It could say 'hog' for all we know."

"How dare you!" he squawked again.

The petite woman--who was at least two hands and over a hundred pounds smaller than the merchant--leveled him with a fingers in his face. "I was a merchant for many years before coming here, don't think you can fool me. I peddled many a ring in my time and I know good quality when I saw it. You were trying to fleece this woman. If you say otherwise, I'll know you're lying."

Roan

Re: Merchants, Cheats and Gaidins oh my! [attn: Bella and Andraste. Thread Roulette]

Post by Roan » April 13th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Riahana
Riahana did not have a robust knowledge of jewelry, nor was she experienced at bartering, or anything to do with being a merchant. Thus, when the unknown Accepted stepped up and called out the merchant named Jalinar for shoddy merchandise, the Mistress of Arms couldn’t help but look surprised. As the Accepted called into question every claim the merchant made, Ria felt her lips twitch, and did her best to school her expression.

The Gaidin was amused at how the woman was tearing into the man, and even more amused (and a bit annoyed) that the man tried to backpedal and defend his position.

“I...I ..I assure you I handle nothing but quality merchandise. I...I made this with my own hands!” Jalinar exclaimed as he held his hands up.

Ria arched a brow and tilted her head, “You made this merchandise with your own hands? I may not be a jeweler, but I work with my hands. I see no calluses anywhere that speak of a man who slaves to make his inventory.” She looked over his wares once more, and shook her head, “I have no authority in who can or cannot sell here, but I can control whether or not I give you my business.”

Shaking her head, she looked from the merchant to the Accepted, “Thank you for stepping in, Accepted. I am looking for something similar to that ring for my husband. . .but I want it to be of good quality. Would you be willing to assist me in finding something suitable? It seems you know quality merchandise from. . .junk.”

“I do not sell junk!”

Ria looked to him, “You are entitled to sell here, Jalinar, but once word gets out you attempted to scam the Mistress of Arms to the Grey Tower, few if anyone will be willing to buy. You have two options.” She held up her index finger, “One, sell your goods for what they are, and a price in line for their quality.” She added her middle finger, “Or two, I make sure word gets out before the end of the day, and no one will do business with you here or several towns over.”

Did Ria really have that kind of authority? Perhaps, though she wasn’t one to abuse her position or title. The merchant didn’t know this, and paled as he considered his options, “P..p..please...I’ll be more honest. I swear.”

Ria arched her brow once more, “See that you are.” She then turned her back on the man and looked to Andraste with a wry smile, “Now then. . .would you be willing to help me find something suitable for my husband?”

Bella

Post by Bella » April 14th, 2017, 2:24 am

Andra gave the merchant one more pointed look-over, but knew when it was her place to step back. She had made her point and spared her fellow Tower citizen any troubles from the purchase, now left the far more powerful woman to her business and her own reactions against Jalinar.

In truth, Andraste knew most of the merchants along this thoroughfare. It reminded her of the old days, and she enjoyed it.

When the Mistress of Arms made her request, though, Andra remembered just who she had barged in past. Andra bowed her head, glad that the woman was not upset for her brazenness. "I would be pleased to assist you, Mistress," she said respectfully. "I am Andraste Alhandra." She straightened. "I lived as a merchant for years before coming to the Tower. It's hard to forget such learning."

Roan

Post by Roan » April 15th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Riahana 'Mistress makes me sound old' Gaidin
When the Accepted introduced herself, Ria tilted her head slightly, as the name was familiar to her. On hearing the woman was a merchant before coming to the Tower, the puzzle pieces fell into place. This was the woman her Memma and daughter brought back to the Tower those years ago. The merchant who had an object of power and someone from the Black Ajah attempting to kill her.

Ria offered the woman a warm smile, “It is a pleasure to meet you, Andraste Alhandra. You need not call me Mistress out here. . .Gaidin will suffice. Mistress makes a woman feel old, and I refuse to be. . .old.” The warm smile turned wry as Ria wiggled her brows once or twice. “I happen to know of you, Andraste. It was my great grandmother and daughter who found you and brought you to the Tower those years ago.

“My daughter worried for you and your transition to life here, but given the banded dress, it seems you’ve managed alright,” Ria said as she motioned for them to carry on walking along the merchants’ row.

Bella

Post by Bella » April 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm

There seemed to be few in the Tower who had been there for any length of time and did not know about the lineage of the woman who had found her and how much it wove through the Tower. Andraste had come to learn that not only were there the two Greens, but the Mistress of Arms walking beside her...and a Blue...and a Grey...and a Gaidin...and the father of Tia, and her brother!

It never ended!

"Well enough, I suppose," the smaller woman said with a small smile, trying to not get too morose about her current channeling situation, since she was sure the Gaidin did not need to hear about that. "It wasn't easy after I first got here, but when one sets their mind to something, one can achieve much."

The Kandori paused, not really eager to talk a lot about herself on this day. "So, Gaidin, you said you were looking for a gift for your husband?"

Roan

Post by Roan » April 17th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Riahana Gaidin
Ria looped her thumbs around her sword belt, resting her hands there as she began to continue her slow walk among merchant’s row. The subject change did not go unnoticed, but it wasn’t wholly unnatural given that Ria asked the woman’s assistance in picking out a gift for Gareth. She felt that familiar bundle in the depths of her mind, realizing he was wholly focused on his work. She couldn’t help the sense of amusement that might find its way back along their bond.

Looking over to the Accepted, Ria nodded, “I did. There is a special occasion that is coming up in a few weeks time, and I had in mind to find him a ring. . .a signet ring, if you hadn’t gathered. It doesn’t need to show him as a healer, but some symbol along those lines would not be amiss.”

The Gaidin gave a soft laugh, “I would say I am not picky, but it sounds like I’ve given a fairly specific request. In truth, I would just like to find something that I know he would cherish.” She paused to look around at the various stalls, “And as you can see, I’m flush for choice with anything but a merchant’s eye for these things.”

Bella

Post by Bella » April 18th, 2017, 4:50 pm

If nothing else, Andra's time in the Tower had gone a long way to...humanize everyone. Once upon a time, the titles these people bore brought with them such imagery as to seem beyond human. It was nice to see these sorts of sides, and the longer she was here, the more she was privileged to see.

The Kandori smiled warmly as she listened to the Gaidin speak of her husband and of wanting to find a gift. It reminded her of a time when she had wanted to do the same, and the memory filled her with warmth.

"Even the most easygoing of husbands seem to be difficult to shop for," Andra commented lightly. "However, here in the city, it is just a matter of knowing which vendors are the best to shop from and which are likely to try to pull a fast one. Since becoming Accepted, I have come here often and spent time among the merchants and learning."

She nodded down the lane and then led the way to a pair of market boots side by side. They were their own tables, but the partition between them had been removed.

"The Brothers Carn," Andra introduced the two men, one to each table. They were small, round fellows that no one could guess the nationality of and they never told. However that little secret aside, she had found them earnest traders. She pointed at the table on the right which had box with a sliding glass top. Within were a variety of rings.

Both brothers smiled and the one with the rings greeted Andra by name. She smiled back. "I'm helping her--" She gestured to Riahana. "--to find a suitable gift for her husband and for the finest quality yet fairest trade, I've brought her to you."

Roan

Post by Roan » April 23rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

Riahana Gaidin
When the two women stopped at the booths, Ria watched the exchange between Andraste and the Carn brothers. The two men were a marked change from the initial merchant in both their appearance and demeanor. While Jalinar came across as friendly, there had been an almost desperate air about him. The Carn brothers had a friendly air about them without the greasy undercurrent of desperation.

Ria looked at the man who addressed Andraste by name, “I’m hoping to find a ring for him. I had a signet ring in mind, but I’m not tied to the notion if you have something else that might be suitable.”

“Andraste honors us by bringing you to us,” the man replied, “I am Thelonius, and my brother is Delius.” He waved at the cases in front of him, “As you can see, I have a wide selection of rings available. You mentioned a signet ring. What is your preferred metal? Gold? Silver?”

“Silver if you please,” Ria answered easily enough.

The man nodded, “Silver it is. And with or without a stone?”

“I don’t have a preference, to be honest. My husband is a Healer. . .” Ria started but the man held up a finger.

“Ah so a member of the Yellow Ajah. I don’t have many signet rings with yellow stones, I’m afraid. I have one citron ring, but I’m not overly fond of the gem. It is fairly common, but it is also not very hard, thus it scratches easily,” Thelonius admitted as he pulled out the ring in question. It was not too dissimilar from the ring Jalinar tried to sell her, but with a symbol of wheat on top. The man offered it to Ria to inspect more closely as he moved some cases around, “I do have a wide selection of rings without gemstones.

Ria looked at the ring, and decided it wasn’t what she was looking for. When she looked up, she noticed Thelonius looking over his stock intently before his eyes lit up, “Ah!” He held up a silver ring. The signet portion had a raised silver edge around a black square. Uplifted in the middle of the square was the Flame and Fang with one half in gold while the other was in silver. He nodded to Ria, “Have a look at this one.”

The Gaidin swapped rings with him and looked over the Flame and Fang signet. “Oh, this is lovely. It’s actually perfect.”

Thelonius smiled, “Excellent. Any chance you know his ring size?”

Ria gave a wry smile, “I do. I had to be a bit sneaky about it, but here.” She pulled out a piece of paper from a pouch on her belt. In the center, there was what appeared to be a simple circle. “That should be very close,” she added.

Thelonius took the ring and the piece of paper, and held the ring up to the circle, “I think we couldn’t ask for a better match. If you do purchase it, and find it does not fit, bring him here, and we’ll get an exact measurement and either adjust the ring you’re holding or make one specifically for him. It does beg the question, though. . .do you like it enough to buy?”

Ria’s wry smile turned warm as she nodded, “I do.”

The Carn brother nodded, “Excellent.” He looked to Andraste, “Given your knowledge of the market, am I to guess you’ll be the one negotiating the price for your friend?”

Bella

Post by Bella » April 27th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Andra found herself beyond pleased that there had been something so suitable. She might not have been a merchant any longer, but she still felt that thrill in her at finding just the right match. As he turned to her, however, she smiled with knowing amusement. "By your leave?" she asked the Gaidin, who nodded.

Then the little Kandori turned to Thelonius with a smile and dark eyes glittering. "Let's talk."

From there it was a gaming match, but they both grinned and were entirely in their element. A few clearly exaggerated claims were batted back and forth to laughter, but eventually, Andra negotiated a price that she deemed fair and Thelonius as acceptable. With that number in mind and figuratively in hand, she turned back to Riahana.

"I am unaware of your budget, but that is a fair price for that item. Does that work for you?" She was smiling, though, pleased with the energized feeling she had within.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik