Speed and Friction (Bells and Brawn)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Speed and Friction (Bells and Brawn)

Post by Matty » April 5th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Grr Rawr The rain failed to surprise Nate anymore. Unless he woke up to it, he always had a hunch of when it was going to rain, and rarely was he wrong. Plenty of time in the Infirmary gave him the time to stretch this little muscle of his, and by the time he was allowed out on half-classes, it was honed well and aimed true.

It didn't lessen his appreciation of it though. The day was young, but the clouds were heavy, and it was set to rain all day. Nate lay on a sheltered bench, broad enough that his shoulders hung from both sides, one long leg bent and the other dangling idly off the far end. The shelter came in the form of an umbrella of Air keeping the Dedicated dry, and he had been lying there for some time. It was good to be outside again, to let his mind churn alongside the roiling of the clouds above. Hazel eyes took in the thick looming grey overhead, though sometimes they closed and he roamed in and out of consciousness.

There were no lessons for Nate on this day. He was allowed to channel, and he was back to his sword lessons, but there was always someone keeping watch. They had the grace to warn him this would be the case, but they were always a figure standing a little ways away, so he was never truly alone. Nate understood it, couldn't blame them really, but he did tire of it a little. Walls weren't the only way to keep a person trapped.

But there were bright spots in all this. His friends had proven their greatness by visiting, and Nate had a newfound appreciation for their company. Why, he'd already sent a Soldier off to tell Bells that they were going to hang out for the day, and there was to be no argument in the matter. What Nate wanted, he got. After all, if he didn't get his way then he might bite someone, oooooh dear.

The Dedicated's lazy smile faded briefly no matter how much levity he threw in there.

But as his friend approached, Nate opened his eyes and sat up properly, smiling in his genuine way. "Bells, you made it!" he greeted him warmly, gesturing for him to sit next to him. "Don't worry it's dry." He gave the bench a pat.

"Now, I heard that you went ahead and got yourself Raised. Congrats on that one my good man," he clasped Alrim on the back, "bloody good stuff. I'm proud of you! We need to go and celebrate. I have a few ideas in Hama Valon and most of them involve ale - and a surprise visit somewhere. What say you? Bells and Brawn, showing Hama Valon their awesomeness together?" The Mayener gave a wink, a big hand raking his thick, long hair away from his face. He'd not cut it as he had half threatened, half promised, mostly because he'd been out of action for so long that he had been unable to. It was the perfect way to get through the awkward length stage, so now it hung nicely below Nate's shoulders. Today it was worn loose, and Nate was rather attached to it.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Speed and Friction (Bells and Brawn)

Post by Andy » April 6th, 2017, 7:07 pm

A strange day when his friend would send another to summon him for Light knew what. Then again, he had been treated quite cautiously for a while now, even before Alrim had donned the different shade of grey there had been signs and mutterings. Suggestive ones at that. No One Power use, no weapons, no going around without a chaperone. He didn't know what had been done to Nate, not in detail, but he was sure his friend was a decent man. It didn't make sense.

Then again, rules never really make sense do they? he noted to himself as he made his way to the appointed destination.

As he approached he saw the man was as large as ever and had kept that mane of his as long as ever, something which amused him no end but offered an opportunity for something from his own homeland. That, however, was for later and he would make sure it was done in a suitably dramatic and amusing way if it killed him. They ere in his pocket, tucked safely away as he sat down and was given the warmest of Nate greetings and he had had a few.

"Thanks Brawn, think I'll like it. Wouldn't have said so a while back but now," he scratched the developing stubble of his future beard, considering, "I reckon it'll be good. See you kept that shaggy mane of yours, always knew you'd admire my locks enough to get some of your own" he grinned.

He snorted at his suggestion of fun but didn't refuse, shaking his head instead.

"You realise last time you said that I got stitches right?" he clapped his friend on the shoulder, "but I agree. Just keep the swords to a minimum eh? Maybe? Oh burn me whatever, let's just have fun" he pulled Nate up and started off towards the city. He noted the tail and raised an eyebrow at Nate.

"Who told you by the way? Was it Creases? If it was I'm going to starch him up so he can't bloody move"

It was a simple question but enough to get the words flowing, he knew that perhaps there was something more to the day than celebration. He wasn't sure how much Nat had managed to get out and about but he was willing to bet it wasn't too often. He didn't mind giving the man the excuse he needed but he would always prefer to make sure he was alright over getting drunk any day.

"I am not sure the Hama Valon can handle Bells and Brawn too many times you know, we are far to shiny for that place. Only place for no but I'm telling you, we need to get somewhere else, a big city. Caemlyn of something maybe. I reckon we could find you a few lasses there and a Gleeman to top it"

They had made their way to the gate and they were passed through easily with their rank quite clear and he chuckled.

"I remember a time I had to sneak, eh?" he nudged Nate in the ribs.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » April 6th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Nate's grin was easy as he hauled himself to his feet and removed the umbrella of Air from over them. The rain wasn't so heavy that it was irritating, and it wasn't a cold day either. "What can I say, you're an inspiration. I figured hey, I can't be a short-ass like you so I may as well try growing my hair like you instead." The Dedicated smirked as they set off, heading to the gates of course.

He caught the raised eyebrow at their Asha'man stalker- er, guide? - and made a bemused face in return. "Our shenanigans might be chaperoned at first," he muttered in a low voice, "unless we lose the trail." He ought to not get into bother outside of the Grey Tower, and losing their guide on purpose was definitely not going to impress Asha'man Gareth at all, but the Dedicated was eager to be his own man again, and this wasn't going to happen when his every move was scrutinised. It wasn't as if he was going to do anything to hurt Bells. "Tell you something for nothing though, as soon as I get to learn the weave for Gateways we are hauling ass out of here. We'll go to the greatest places - Mayene, the Waste, the Sea Folk islands... oh and Arafel too I guess."

It was pretty good to be getting out into the city again, and not having to sneak out his friend was always a plus. Nate smirked and put his arm around Alrim as they walked, more glad for company than he cared to admit. "Men like us aren't made for sneaking. We're made for being seen, and for having awesome times," he pointed out as if it was obvious to everyone. It was to Nate. Dashing fights, lovely ladies, plenty of ale, they were the things men of their calibre were rewarded for saving the day or whatever it is they were going to get up to. More pie, probably.

The main problem with heading out into the city was that there were so many places to go and things to do, that for someone used to being cooped up it was a bit of a sensory overload to be suddenly thrust into a place where options could be made. The Dedicated didn't let this slow his stride though, because at least he was moving forwards throughout all this. Burn it all! "So things to do on my checklist," he informed Alrim as they walked. "ONE! Buy Bells as much ale as he can drink. TWO! Get us some flaming good pie. THREE! Get at least three women to see your dashing scar after hearing my epic story of how you saved my hide. FOUR!......" here the man was a little stumped, "I don't know what four is." But he did have a detour in mind. Yes! They could head that way, perfect. Nate directed them, much easier to do with his arm still around Alrim's shoulders.

"So what's been happening around the Tower? I feel like I'm still out of the loop," he said as they wound their way down one of the main streets, people giving the two of them a wide berth as they went. The rain continued to fall around them, and Nate was content in knowing that it would rain for some time yet.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 10th, 2017, 7:31 pm

The man let the bloody rain in, he bloody well went and did it when he was definitely the cause of it. Alrim had only ever met Nate when it had rained. It was almost a tradition now and he definitely knew who to blame for it. Still...the man had had a hard time of things and so he didn't way anything, simply let his clothes get slowly damp and heavy. His eyes strayed to their chaperone briefly, already thinking of ways tog et rid of him before Nate's words hit his ears. He smiled and nodded as if nothing had been said but a warm greeting.

"I'd like that," he stated in response to the offer of journeys, "they won't know what's hit them eh? We'll take them by storm" he continued as he tried to blank out the flash of memory.

His fitting miss-stepped slightly at the mention of Arafel but he continued onwards as Brawn spoke. His memory was filled with another life, no matter what details were lost over time the feeling of the death of his family was forever, the memory would not fade. He pushed aside the Fiona Bond for now, it was hard enough to live with his decision in...another world...without adding in foolish hopes atop it.

"I am all for awesome times but I think we'll have to do something first. I'll handle the...issue for you but I'll need somewhre with people first. Tavern maybe" he jerked his had towards the third wheel to make it plain, if only to Nate, that he was ready to get things going in that regard.

"As for the list, I have an idea for the fourth thing but I'll let you know closer tot he...opportune moment. If you're lucky I'll get a promise for a fifth thing. We'll see eh?" he snorted as he made their way towards the edge of the city.

It was a short walk and he was taking them both to the man's favourite pie seller and as he did so a plan stole over him. He grinned and as they approached invited Nate to get himself a pie. He noticed a group of children off to the corner and strode over to them nonchalantly. He winked at them before speaking.

"How'd you lot like to earn some silvers eh?"

"What for?"

"Oh just a...distraction"

"Oh yeah?"

"Damn right, see that stuffy one there?" he looked over his shoulder towards the Asha'man.

"Stick up the arse one? Yeah"

"Knock into him, mess him around with sorries, we'll scarper. Classic trick eh?"

"Deal"

With that the silvers were discreetly given and Alrim returned to choose his own pie. He merely leaned into Nate and told him to be ready to dash off into the streets. It was going to be a fun day he had decided and damn the consequences if they should ever come. He grinned at Nate through the steam of his first meal.

"So, your plan involves lots of ale then?" he asked by way of conversation as his peripheral vision noted the kids were getting ready for the ploy.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » April 10th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Nate chuckled a little to himself as Bells clearly had some plan up his sleeve to get rid of their Asha'man follower. He went along with it for now, enjoying the time they were spending together, though of course whatever four and five were... that might be a good idea. Or not, depending how... carried away Nate got. He wasn't sure what would happen if he ever lost his temper, lost his control.

For now there was pie, and Nate was happy to choose one from his favourite vendor. The portly man recognised Nate as he went on over, rubbing his hands together. "Nate my good man! It's been so long!"

"It has!" Nate agreed. "But I'm back now, not going anywhere. Tower business, would you know."

"Quite, quite," the man replied as if his dreams were any loftier than "sell lots of pies".

Bells soon sidled his way over, he had a plan. Nate saw him speak to the children, and suspected something was about to happen. What? Nate didn't know, but he would be ready as instructed. At long as he got his pie first, and he did. Success. "Lots of ale," he promised, "I mean we've skipped step one straight onto step two, not that I mind, but it means we have to make up for lost ale. Mmm, pie." It was good pie as well, meat and vegetables hot enough to burn the top of his mouth, but he carried on eating anyway.

By the time the children intercepted the Asha'man Nate had almost finished his pie. He shoved the rest of it into his mouth and gave Bells a hard look. He knew what to do, and there was no time to discuss their master plan. "Three two one LIFT!" he barked in a spray of pastry, and in one smooth swift motion he reached down and lifted Bells up in what was known as the Cairhienin carry.There was a jingle of bells as Alrim hung down Nate's broad back, but off they went in long strides while the Asha'man was distracted. The Mayener also seized Saidin as he ran, drawing upon Fire and Water and Air to tug at the air around them, and the clouds hanging low above. He didn't tell Bells what he was up to, but as the rain suddenly began to fall harder and a light mist began to set in, well, it was rather opportune.

They were near the secret destination Nate had in mind as well, and he took Bells there. By the time they reached the doorway to the store, Nate was thoroughly soaked and so was his friend. "Whew!" he grinned, clasping his friend's shoulder, "sorry about that..." he caught his breath and gestured to the shop before them, "we're going to hide from the Asha'man in here for a spell. He won't think to look for us in here."

So in they went.

The jingle of a bell signalled their arrival, and Nate exhaled as he got a proper look at the place. From every available space hung bells. Big bells, small bells, ornamental bells, decorative bells, ringy bells, so many bells. Nate leaned in to look at a large one the size of his head, a copperly shine giving his face a subtle golden sheen.

"I wanted to bring you here to get you some new bells," he told Alrim, as he straightened up and looked around - he ducked his head under some low hanging bells overhead. "They have some authentic Arafellin bells and I figured... y'know. Present for being my buddy and saving me and all." He folded his arms, looking a little sheepish.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 15th, 2017, 2:31 pm

One thing was for certain, he hadn't expected to be picked up and carried at a dead run, metal bouncing around his face and occasionally glancing off of his nose, as he managed to get soaked yet again by weather which seemed to form rather damned quickly in his opinion. He didn't now what was up but he knew it had to be Nate, no one as this unlucky to have rain every time they soldiered into Hama Valon. He had never heard of weather manipulation but he was no fool. As a door opened and closed he was deposited back to his feet more dishevelled than before but at least he had managed to not throw up his recent snack.

"What is it with us and rain?" he muttered as he tugged at his uniform to try and wring some of the wetness out before attempting to smooth it out again, "you're bloody well doing something aren't you Brawn? No?" he eyed the man for a few moments but it was hard to be annoyed with someone so affable.

He snorted and raked his hair back, finally taking in the scenery as the giant went about explaining where they were and why. He had hadn't even known there was a bell shop in Hama Valon, something which just went to show just how much he had to explore of the sprawling stonework. The strange duality of it amused him, bringing a smile to his lips. He was going to give a few bells to Nate and the man was buying him a whole set. He had reserved some of his stash of bells for another also but he had no idea if they would ever be given, time would be the revelation there.

"Brawn, just when I was going to get this rain business out of you, you go and do something to make me let it go. For now," he shook his head as his eyes glanced here and there, "it is a nice thought. And I didn't save you. Much. Anyway it'd have looked bad if I'd have let a channeller get injured on my watch" he pointed at Brawn in jest.

He went for a stroll around the goods, ducking here and there to avoid the low hanging offerings, seeking out what he had been told existed. It took a little time but when he came upon them they were beautiful to his eyes, a little reminder of home - one which he was one step closer to going back to and maybe being accepted. He shook off the memories of their deaths, it had been an illusion. A sick trick of a raising and not real. It was hard to tell himself that at times but he managed as he gazed fondly upon the silver orbs.

One day. They are alive still and right now they'd be getting ready for the new trading season, haggling and stocking up. I wonder if my sisters have found themselves some fine lads to come courting yet? he mused to himself fondly.

"They are fine craft indeed," he told Brawn, "look at the etched patterns, spirals and more. Beautiful. I am not sure that I am worthy of them, truth be told. Ones such as these would be for quite well off people and I lost my claim to wealth when I left Arafel" he sighed, but he still took them up and handed them to the giant to examine more closely. As he moved them they make soft chiming sounds, merging to almost feel like the pattering of rain, an apt matching to the man buying them, a music of their own, each bell a differing note.

"As it happens I was going to give you some of my bells, the few spare ones I have. Not enough to have as many adorned as I but enough to make you a bit more dashing to the interested. I suppose we think more alike than I thought," he took a handful out of his pocket and put them into the giant's palm.

"Call it a reminder to look after yourself" he snorted, there was not much chance of the exuberant man doing that, he thought.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » April 16th, 2017, 11:20 am

Nate had never explicitly stated that he was responsible for the weather that befell them this day. In fact, Nate hadn't shared much about his channelling with Bells at all, it was just... something that he did, like how some people could juggle or roll a coin across their fingers. There wasn't anything significant about it, it just was, but Nate was happy to accommodate any shenanigans that may befall them. If Bells asked then Nate would divulge but it looked like the bells were distraction enough that the subject was dropped for the time being.

Much to Nate's delight, Bells was sufficiently pleased by... bells... and Nate wore a bright smile as his friend began to look around. Nate was no bell expert so the man could shove any old metal in front of him and he'd nod and agree at whatever he said. Expensive? Sure! They were bells. The man held a broad hand out to take the bells offered to him, holding them up to get a better look at the etchings with his mouth open ever so slightly. They were rather fancy, probably more than Nate could afford but Light he would find a way to pay for them if they were what Bells wanted. "Hang on, your claim to wealth?" he asked, looking up from the bells to, er, Bells, hazel eyes squinting suspiciously. "You're from money?"

It wasn't something Nate was aware of, not that it mattered but he'd never pegged the Arafellin down as one of those poncy Lordling types or whatever. Nate never mingled with such lofty folk, why Fiona was probably the exception there. The Mayener smiled and gave the bells in his hand a jingle, though soon enough it was his turn to be distracted as Bells put some other bells in his hand. His own bells. Some of his collection! Nate compared the shiny, beautiful bells with the worn, simpler set, and the grin on his face turned into a delighted roar of a laugh. "BELLS!" He shouted, "burn me to ashes! Some of your own flaming bells! I'll wear them with pride!" He pocketed them with a resolute nod, "course we bloody well think alike, we're Bells and Brawn, the most awesome combination there is. When we have your new bells we'll put them in and look awesome together." He clasped Alrim on the shoulder with his free hand, "you my friend are more than worthy of these bells and I won't hear another word of it. You want them? You're getting them, no arguments. They're a gift from me."

The little old bell seller in the corner looked up from her reading as Nate stomped on over with his bells, and his rather meagre savings. Truth be told, this was all the coin he had, not being sure how much bells would cost, and his earnest expression hid his nerves as he handed them over. "How much would it be for these?" he asked.

The lady peered over her reading glasses at the bells. "These fine bells, sir?" She counted them up, and the amount of silver needed made Nate's eyes widen. But there was absolutely no hesitation as he upturned his coin pouch onto the table, silver and copper coins falling out. "I'll take as many as I can get with this," he announced, before hunching over and starting to count it out. One silver, two silver, three silver... he made little piles and as he did the woman began to put the fancy bells into a paper bag. It wasn't as many as Nate wanted to get Alrim, but he wasn't going to compromise on quality, and in the end there would be enough for now. I'll have to find another way to earn coin. A problem for another day. That the lady popped in a few more bells than Nate had the coin for went unnoticed, though the woman did give Alrim a small wink as she handed Nate the bag.

Nate turned with the bag, head knocking a few low hanging bells aside as he returned to Alrim and handed the bells over. "These are for you," he announced. "And when I can I'll get you some more to add to your collection!" There was determination in his voice, a little quieter than usual but no less stubborn for it.

Of course the issue was that Nate has no coin left to get some ale, which was a problem he couldn't ignore if he wanted to buy Bells a drink that evening. He'd find a way.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 16th, 2017, 12:31 pm

"Not that much money," he told Nate, seeing the look and letting is pass through him, there was little he could do about where he came from after all, "not big nobles at least. Or small ones. Think that's what my father wanted but he's just a merchant. I decent one with connections, so the family is...comfortable. But anyway, never going to see it" he tapped the man's shoulder with a loose fist.

He shrugged at his own words, they pained him less as time wore on and his new home became more home to him. Besides which it was old history, or felt like it. It was pointless to think upon an inheritance that would never come, even if he were to redeem himself in his father's eyes he was no merchant - just a merchant's son. He had little opportunity to muse further though as Brawn went about bursting with enthusiasm and buying the damned expensive ones! There was aught Alrim could do but outstretch his hand to try to stop the man, fail and then pinch his brow as he shook his head.

All of his money! All of it! Light preserve me I'm not that important you fool he told himself as he watched the exchange , already deciding that he would find a way for the man's purse to be full again by evening's end. Natyla had told him to turn his skills to good use, getting a friend out of his own poverty seemed a decent us to him.

"Thank you Brawn, you are a true friend," he took the bag, noting the solidity of his talking and deciding it was best not to question it for now, "it means a lot. I'll keep them safe for now until I can get them in properly" he tucked the bag into his inside jacket pocket, secure and playing a muted tune for a moment before vanishing.

"Come on, I'll get the drinks and I'll show you how to fill your purse in a half-innocent fashion after too. Did you have a particular place in mind Brawn?" he asked as he edged the door open, seeing the weather had abated for now and opened it fully, stepping out into the damp streets.

He followed at Nate's side, eyes shifting occasionally to make sure they weren't about to be taken advantage of, could never be too careful. His eyes narrowed when h saw a few too many beggars about, it was unusual and perhaps a sign of the times and the recent attacks upon the city. There were still places that had to be tended to he knew, and before it had been all but rebuilt. It had seen many scars in its service tot he Grey Tower. He stopped by a couple and told them to find sanctuary at the Mar a'Mael and let them know he had sent them.

"I've accrued a certain amount of...currency there," he explained to his friend, "been looking after orphans and such. Better they get a hot meal and decent bed than get touched by the less decent sorts around, they'd be killed off for their boots" he shook his head.

"You ever thought that there needs to be more of us to deal with all the problems about?" he asked the world in general as they continued to their inevitable destination, a tavern.

It was a simple matter to get in and buy a few drinks, noticing that the place was a bit more reputable than the last tavern they had entered but still had all of the fighting, gambling and whatnot to give humanity a reprieve from its pent up baser instincts.

"Here's to Brawn, a decent sort if too damned pretty for his own good apparently" he chuckled, getting the inspiration from a few women nearby who were already eyeing the giant and talking amongst themselves, not thinking they could be heard.
~
~

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » April 17th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Spending all his coin was worth it as far as Bells was concerned, and Nate had no regrets whatsoever. He watched the bag disappear into the man’s coat with a quiet jingle. “I look forward to you wearing them,” he said, “I’d put them in for you if I knew how, but I think my fat fingers would mess it up.” He grinned and went on, “do what you want with them though, they’re yours now.”

He had a few ideas of where they could go for a drink and have less chance of their Asha’man finding them and hauling Nate back to the Infirmary by his hair. “Follow me,” he said, “I’m interested to know what this half-innocent money earner of yours is as well.” He was going to need some tips to replace what he had spent, after all.

Nate noticed the poor as well, and while he had no money to give, people tended to avoid him anyway. Was it something about him personally, like there was a mark on his head highlighting the things he had done? Or maybe it was because Alrim was generally more approachable and friendly, no matter how Nate tried to come across that way. He did keep a smile on his face, and not too much surprise at what Bells was telling them. “You’ve been helping out there? I didn’t know that,” he was impressed. Today he seemed to be learning a lot more about his friend, and it only endeared him to Nate more.

"You ever thought that there needs to be more of us to deal with all the problems about?" Alrim asked as they walked, now free from any immediate company. The Dedicated gave Bells a look, brow furrowing at the question. “Yes,” he said, that concrete tone of certainty back in his voice. “There’s a lot of bad out there, and a lot of people who can’t take care of themselves. There needs to be more people who will look out for them. People like you, Bells.” The people of Viadulo didn’t stand a chance against what happened there, but there were other people who could be helped. Injustices and wrongs needed to be righted, and the Reds could handle any misuse of the Power in those respects, but there were non-channellers who made life difficult for the people around them. And more importantly, those people needed to be taken care of. Nate wasn’t a Healer, all he could do was make it rain and tell you if you would need that cape or not on your way to the market, but there was a determination to do right by those who needed it. He could channel, and he was tough, and these two things alone would be needed when the Last Battle came and people forgot about the ordinary folk. “Tell me when you next go to Mar a’Mael, I’ll come with you.” He might well pay a visit there soon regardless.

Nate shoved his way into the tavern he had chosen, a rather typical place for him known as ‘The Squeaky Cricket’. It felt good to be back in a tavern, where everything was common and there were no real expectations of him. As long as he paid for his drinks and kept his fighting to a minimum, then that was all they could ask for and everyone was happy. Nate found them a free table as Alrim purchased the ales, taking his with glee and holding it up in cheers at the other man’s cue. “I’ll drink to that!” he chortled as he had a hearty swig. “And here’s to Bells, who’s gonna be one heck of a Warder someday and not just because of the bells.” He clinked mugs again, picking up on the conversation from the ladies at the nearby table and feeling his ears go a little pink. But the smirk that crossed his face said he was more pleased than embarrassed, and he casually leaned back a little on his bench, removing his damp coat and rolling up the sleeves of his shirt. No Dedicated here, just a man looking for a good time.

“So tell me about this half innocent money making method of yours,” he said to Bells, leaning in and casting glances at the nearby women every so often. They were a pleasant distraction, especially after so long in the Infirmary, and he couldn’t help but wink and flex an arm for them.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 24th, 2017, 6:38 pm

"Maybe. Maybe. Have to get to the end first," he tried to be upbeat but after his Ji test he was not sure his Gaidin test wouldn't finish him off, "I wish it were as easy as declaring it but somehow I doubt it. We'll see. Having given so much for this bloody Tower it'd be annoying not to achieve that status" he sipped his drink and leaned back slightly in his chair.

He let the warmth from the fires seep into his muscles as he wondered to himself which method he would use to try to earn them money. Using his cards was getting a bit repetitive and loaded dice got him into trouble at times. Besides which he was not sure Nate would agree with rigging the odds like that, he had some principles more than Alrim did after all. He turned it over in his mind as he let his eyes flick around, seeking out an opportunity. He opted for conversation whilst he thought.

"All in good time my friend, we have all night. Well, almost," he took in more drink and wondered about what Nate had said before about people, it had been serious "as for the Mar a'Mael, I go about once a week maybe. I'll send a letter the next time, you seem to like those" he snorted.

"You sounded like a Blue by the way," Alrim smiled at the man, "or a Red maybe. Though I hear they are less...diplomatic about things. Either way I am not sure I am the one to solve the worlds problems. Can barely deal with my own. If I were put in charge I reckon the Tower would crumble in a few weeks" he pointed out, serious but smiling all the same.

It had done so after all. Life for the cause Alrim, veeeery noble of you he told himself, only half-mocking.

He was still trying to figure out how he felt about that truth be told. He was proud of his courage but also aghast at his foolishness, it was very confusing. It was almost like a battle going on within him, if he were feeling dramatic. The flashes of images haunted him at night in those quiet hours. His only solace had been that he had gone down swinging, presumably. He looked at Nate and wondered if he had gone through that sort of thing too.

"Truth be told Brawn I will need to wait for the right opportunity. Ideas include betting on fights I know are rigged," he leant in so he could all but whisper, "tricking greedy people out of coin or honest gambling with a bit of help with dice. I was never an honourable person really. I suppose that, given the time, I could find another way. Unless...well let's have a drink or two and I'll see if the moment comes along" he said, "care for a game though?" he asked, taking out his dice pouch and letting them roll onto the table.

"No stakes, just for fun for now. We can talk whilst we do so though," he grinned, "tell me...do you think those test things show the future? Because if they do I have quite the story to tell you, yes I do" he sighed and fiddled with one of the die, shrugging off the images.

"Tell me Brawn...what will you do when you get that fancy cord of yours? I've been thinking about the future you know. Funny, me eh? You say you reckon I could make a difference. Is that what you're going to be doing? Gallivanting across the ands like a hero from one of those tales?" he looked at him seriously then.

He heard the women laugh and felt them edge closer, they were definitely getting closer. Nate was practically a lure. He turned his head and looked at them, saw their direct looks but the red cheeks returned. He shook his head to the dulled jingle and saw an opportunity. He gestured to the empty seats around them.

"Come on then, you want to get a good look no better than right beside this freakishly handsome...man," he tilted his head and affected an innocent voice, "tell me, what would you say if I told you that this...impressive individual...couldn't lift me up if he tried?" he went for his most disarming of smiles.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik