A Most Clever & Poignant Post Title [Attn: Ravak Darrow Gaidin]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: A Most Clever & Poignant Post Title [Attn: Ravak Darrow Gaidin]

Post by Bella » February 27th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Mia had to sip her drink quickly to not allow free the laugh that wanted to burst forth as the most immediate of reactions to what he said, because she knew it wasn't what he meant and the tone of their talk now did not at all match what she wanted to say in reply. It had been well established that she said what she wanted and did what she wanted, but...

That didn't mean she was entirely uncouth.

You would rather be wearing this dress, Ravak dear? Oh, I don't quite think it would suit you. The color might work, but the cut would be all wrong...and I think it would clash with your swords.

Once she had managed to tamp down that initial reaction, she gave herself an extra smoothing moment as she set the glass on the table and took a slow breath. "I don't think there is a corner of the Westlands where I've not found some danger, had my life in peril, or earned an injury or two," she commented. "So I understand, yet my experience brings me to flaunt in its face as much as carry concern.

"But you're right. We owe it to the people of the city to be here, to protect them as best we can from the danger we bring. Although we can do it no matter the dress." A small smile flickered over her face. She could very well level this tavern if she had to...

She liked the smile he gave her now, though. And now held his gaze. "We shall ever do our best to do just that, eh? We who best know the dangers out there are best made to defend others against them, in the Tower, in the city, out in the world." It was the recruitment speech of the Green and the Gaidin, was it not? Yet she truly believed it. In every fiber.

And it showed.

Though after that little proclamation, there was one thing she couldn't let go past. "I am curious, Ravak, how precisely you expected to come here and... How did you say? 'Pull me up short'?" She lifted her glass and her eyes flashed almost wickedly over the rim. "How precisely did you intend to do that?" She took a sip, but never took her eyes off his.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » February 28th, 2017, 1:28 am

Ravak
Ravak thought the answer to Miahala's question was rather an obvious one; the Gaidin Captain had rank over the Captain-General. It was about that simple as Ravak saw it, especially when it came to dealing with someone who had frequented almost all of the positions within the Grey Tower's hierarchy. Of all people, he would have thought that the Saldaean would understand where her place was in the world.

Clearly not. Rav reconsidered his thoughts. He certainly wasn't going to win an argument by attempting to force his rank down Mia's throat, not that he was the sort of person to do that. So then what? A better answer than the truth was required.

He leaned forward conspiratorially. "Well, I thought the indication that you had slipped quietly off into the night without a word would garner some contrition, but evidently not. Saying that's failed, and after squarely jogging my memory on the independence you rightfully have, there's only really two options left."

Rav sat back in his chair, taking another drink from his mug before presenting the big reveal. The grin showed on his face even before he said it. "Over my left shoulder, or over my right. The choice is yours."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 28th, 2017, 3:01 am

Any amusement she felt over the idea that he thought she'd feel contrition over this was erased immediately by what he said next. (She had thought, before that statement, about how she had slipped out as Amyrlin without contrition, and even now, if the Amyrlin herself had shown up in the Band of Brothers, she would have probably reacted the same.)

"Over my left shoulder, or over my right. The choice is yours."

That, however, did bring her up short. With the glass still touching her lips, her brow rose and her eyes widened ever-so-slightly. Mia wondered if he would actually throw her over his shoulder and carry her out of a public place such as this... She wasn't entirely convinced that he would, but she wasn't entirely convinced that he wouldn't either.

That fact did not irritate her, though. Although she would never easily give herself over to the command of another, there was something she liked about someone who was not...made anxious by her. He had been at first, but had obviously gotten over it.

This pleased her. She wanted no reverence. Respect, yes, but not reverence or idolization.

"Well, I always appreciate having such options," she quipped, lowering her glass to the table once again as she straightened up and leaned forward slightly, her arms across the edge of the table as she drew a little bit nearer to him. (She was aware of a bit of a view from her neckline, but didn't press that advantage.) "However...

"Wouldn't it be easier and more enjoyable for the both of us should you simply let me have what I came here for and you joined me in it? It would save us both the spectacle, and achieve the same end, when all is said and done. I will have what I need for the evening, and then will be seen safely back to the Tower grounds."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » February 28th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Ravak
Ravak didn't know if he had an effect on other women, but he knew he held some sway over Miahala. It was clear that the Saldaean was caught short on his comment about carrying her back to the Tower. It wouldn't be the first time I had to hoist someone back to their bed from a pub. It would likely have a different end result, however. The Shienaran just gave a wolfish grin as she leant forward. If she thought he was going to be overcome by a beautiful woman paying him this much interest, then she was right.

Still, he wouldn't go down without a fight. The Tower hadn't trained him to roll over and play nice.

"Easier?" His eyebrows rose in concert with his tone. "Since when did Miahala Sedai prefer the easier option? I am talking to the same woman who would wade into a fist of Trollocs as if it was a cheerful ride through the Andoran countryside, right?" The grin became more teasing as he leant in closer. "Anyways, you've had a dance and you've got a drink. What did you have in mind when it came to relaxation?"
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 28th, 2017, 11:26 pm

One brow arched on her face and pulled one side of her lips up with it in an almost...wicked smile. Had it been that long since she'd been drinking that it had such an effect? No, it was just her. Or was it just him... That was the question, wasn't it? Either way, she was enjoying the feeling and not inclined to end it.

"You know, I don't always choose the hardest paths," she returned. "I just choose the path best suited to me. And at the moment, a little more drinking and a little more dancing seem indicated."

She lowered her gaze to the table top for a moment, lashes sweeping down in her thoughtfulness. Her thoughts danced around the inside of her brain as surely as she had danced around the floor not so long ago. Many things swirled as part of that melee, but quite a few of them seemed to traipse their way merrily across the table.

When she finally looked up again, she still had that...dare we call it a smirk. "Maybe then if not the easier path, why can we not choose the one that would, for the moment, bring the most happiness?" she posed instead. "Life is more than duty."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 1st, 2017, 11:07 pm

Ravak
Rav pulled back, if only so he could take another swig from his pint. The mug came up from the table too easily, almost causing an incident by nearly smacking himself in the face. Where had all the ale gone? Placing the empty vessel to one side, he leaned in again. There was a slight slur to his mock bravado, and his merriment was clear to see. "Life is more than duty? Well I dunno about that. It sounds a bit like it's my duty to make sure you have your happiness." Sliding his fingers around her free hand, he squeezed them lightly. She had lovely hands, if hands could be lovely. Rav reckoned they could.

"Now if you finish your drink, we can go over and join them--" he gave a nod over in the direction of the dancers "--or we can go elsewhere." His eyes lingered on the staircase that led upstairs to the Band of Brothers sleeping quarters. If he'd known how this evening was going to play out, he would have already had a key in his pocket just for this occasion.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » March 1st, 2017, 11:21 pm

Her eyes drifted down to the table again, looking at his hand over hers. She remembered those hands. She liked those hands. Of course, she was not thinking that they were lovely, as he was hers. She was thinking of a suitably masculine counterpart to that word, whichever she thought he might prefer...

This choice had not truly been in her list of possibilities for the night. The drinking, yes. The dancing, yes. The...elsewhere, no. She was rarely a woman quick to be led there. In fact, in recent history, there had been only one...

Mia looked up again. She held up her other hand, her index finger up. "Give me one dance," she said as her eyes held his and the smile that had dominated the corners of her mouth remained firmly in place. "One dance, and then you can take me wherever you want to." It was a bold statement and not really befitting an Aes Sedai, but...

Burn it. Life wasn't too short for her, of course, but in fact too long to not enjoy it.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 2nd, 2017, 12:13 am

Ravak
Rav squinted at the finger. Why not? he thought before Mia had her opportunity to explain. After that, everything seemed very much more agreeable. "One dance," Rav conceded with a grin. He reached into his pocket for a golden crown and placed it flat on the table between them. "Get the musicians to play whatever you desire whilst I return these--" he gestured to his mug and Mia's glass "--to the bar."

Without pause, Rav was unsteadily rising from his seat. He gripped a hold of both the mug and the glass, then make the precarious journey towards the bar. It was all of course a cunning ruse. After all, there were serving maids going about collecting empty drinks, but Ravak needed the barman specifically. The glint of gold saw him getting service almost as quickly as Mia had, and those coins were swiftly traded in for a key to the Band of Brothers' finest room. Rav had no idea what that meant in the grand scheme of things, but it was the best and nearest thing on offer.

Moving with care and infinite poise, he dodged through the gauntlet of tables and chairs that stood in passive resistance for his approach towards the dance floor. The music had changed, but honestly Ravak wasn't sure what had been playing before. All that mattered was the playful glint in his partner's eye and the permanent smile that had taken residence on her face.

Taking one slender hand in one of his, and placing his other hand on the Saldaean's waistline, Ravak provided his own look of ingratiating delight. "I'll have you know, I can dance. So prepared to be amazed."

Oh, and he really could dance.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » March 2nd, 2017, 12:25 am

While he was cutting his swath towards the bar, she was cutting her way in the opposite direction towards the inn's musicians. She already had in mind what she wanted to hear, and was sure that they could play it for her since she had heard it from them before. It wasn't a slow song, but it wasn't the speed of a jig.

It allowed for some skilled dancing, but with a speed to be able to enjoy it. After all, if this was going to be her last (upright) dance of the night, she wanted to make the most of it.

Somewhere in the course of this journey, she did wonder at herself. Miahala, you are over a hundred and fifty years old. You've been a mother of a five, and a wife three times over. You were dead, for Light's sake. What do you think you're doing now? You're acting like a twit, and an adolescent besides. Or even one with less scruples than when you were one.

Oh, no one could viciously assault the Captain-General like she herself. No Fade or Trolloc horde, no Darkfriend or darkhound, could slice through her like that terrible little voice.

Tonight, however, she ignored it. She tried to ignore it most of the time, really, but it came a little easier tonight. It did not dampen her in the least, and in that, she had her answer.

Mia waited for him at the edge of the dance floor and her eyes flashed at that look on his face. Like... She stopped herself before she tried too hard to put it into words. Instead she just slid her hand into his as he took it and moved gracefully into hold. Her other hand rested on his shoulder, fingertips barely brushing the skin above the collar of his uniform.

"I think perhaps we are both due a little amazement," she quipped, although the depth of her meaning was likely known only to her. With her body and steps instantly fluid to his, she let him move her onto the dance floor.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 2nd, 2017, 12:53 am

Ravak
The soft flow of the music began. Together they took a step to the side, their bodies naturally in sync with one another's. Ravak was vaguely aware that there were other people on the floor with them, but his eyes remained latched onto Miahala's. There was such a layered depth within those ocean green orbs, almost as captativing as their owner. He caught glimpses of Miahala Sedai, but mostly he just saw the elegance of the woman before him. The grey that touched her auburn hair was not a sign of age, but a symptom of a life well lived. If he could in any way add to that good life, he wanted to.

Rav turned skilfully, his body in tune with the music. He made sure to lead the way, foreshadowing spins or dips with the subtle nudge of his hands. It was more than likely that he had the strength to swing her around by sheer strength alone, but a dance was a partnership.

There was no need for words to be exchanged as the music picked up. Each of them had made their boasts, and both Borderlanders were putting the room to shame. Not that they noticed it. Widening grins and quiet snorts accompanied some of their more expressive moves, whether it was an extra flourish at the end of a step, or the way their bodies brushed against each other as they spun around.

The music moved through a crescendo, before sinking down low to build up to the next one. Their eyes were locked, but Ravak saw that the floor was emptying out. Casually they took a spot in the centre of the room to continue their proud display.
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik