Evolution of Evaluation (Attn: Cat)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Evolution of Evaluation (Attn: Cat)

Post by Sunny » February 11th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Dax
Hama Valon could not be described as a dangerous city, not the same way that Tear or Cairhien could be, but it had its rough places. The Lazy Farmgirl rested in one such spot, an area just north of the docks where the efforts to rebuild after the Seanchan invasion had waxed haphazard and lackadaisical. It served cheap beer and asked no questions, however, and the women who worked there were welcoming and warm. Small wonder that Dax spent as much time as possible there.

On one particular spring day the Tairen relaxed on a bench near the wall, one arm draped over the back, the other holding a half-empty mug of beer. Other men sat about the table in front of him in varying states of intoxication, their attention largely fixed on the coins and dice that scattered the table between them. The Gaidin watched the game as any half-witted fool should, but he also paid attention to the rest of the room, eyes flickering to observe unusual sounds or sudden movements.

He put down the cup, pushed a silver coin to the center of the table, and rolled the dice. While they still spun on the wooden surface he took a deep drink. They fell still, revealing five crowns etched in red ink on the ivory cubes. “That’d be a win,” he commented with a laugh.

“Cheat-” Dax arched an eyebrow and leaned forward, looking the speaker in the eye with a challenging expression as his fingers collected the pool. After a moment of obvious internal struggle, the man fell quiet. Dax flashed an easy smile and relaxed back once more, the coins slipping into his purse. Sometimes he cheated; tonight was not one of those nights. Sometimes luck was a fickle mistress, and sometimes she did him right. On that particular night, it was the latter.

Before the next round of betting could begin, a man slid onto the bench next to Dax. The sellsword arched an eyebrow, shifting ever so slightly as the stranger got comfortable. Fair skin, fair face, and an easy manner that screamed of nobility. Dax would have asked the man what his business was- but then, Dax had no good reason to be in that particular tavern either.

“Two silver buy in,” the farmer across the table said to the newcomer.
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Cat
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Johan Albaer
SC: Tristram Baryn

Re: Evolution of Evaluation (Attn: Cat)

Post by Cat » February 12th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Tristram
It had started out as the perfect day, and it had only gotten better. There was a certain amount of satisfaction to be had in knowing that he was somewhere he wasn’t supposed to be, and that he was also, in just being here, proving them all wrong. Oh look! He wasn’t dead! He was managing to walk without holding anyone’s hand and he hadn’t managed to fall flat on his face or accidentally blow himself up with the One Power while doing it! Amazing! There was, admittedly, some disappointment that there was no one around whose face he could rub it in. He had some freedom and the world wasn’t ending!

Tristram didn’t actually have anything mind other than to relax and have some time to himself to be, well, himself. He’d never been one for taking walks or just going for strolls, but he thought that they were something he could definitely grow to like. He’d also never actually noticed freedom until it had been taken from him, and now it was something he could quite happily continue to cling to.

Though not, perhaps, before a beer.

He entered the first tavern he came across, ordered himself a drink and went to sit down, simply relishing in the fact that he was doing it and not stuck in his room in bed like a good little boy. Light, but he so wanted to go back and say that he had spent the night in Hama Valon.

As he drank, he watched a dice game unfold. Dice was something he had learnt in the army, whilst out fighting and soldiering. It was a commoner’s game, but he had learnt to enjoy, especially when things seemed to be going in his favour. It had been a long time since he’d actually had a game, and, before the next round, he was moving to sit at the table. He grinned at the man next to him, giving him a nod, before he turned his attention to the one who had spoken.

Two silver? Was that all? “That’s seems a bit cheap. Surely we can make the stakes a little more exciting?” He glanced back at the man next him. “Don’t you agree?”
Image..&..Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » February 14th, 2017, 4:59 am

The man wore black, Dax realized. No pins to his collar, and a face too honestly youthful to be Asha’man anyway. A soldier then, but one with the confidence of a king. The Gaidin put his mug to his lips and drank at length. A noble, perhaps, or a trumped up merchant, likely Andoran by appearance and accent. How had he escaped the clutches of his betters? Dax truly did not care, but the man had invaded his space, after all. He placed his mug carefully on the table before finally responding.

“By all means let’s raise the stakes, boy.” He drawled, fishing into his pocket for a gold Andoran mark, which he set on its edge between them. It rolled until it hit a crevasse, then tipped over with a metallic plink. “Is that sufficient, or would you prefer I wager my blade?” His teeth flashed in an easy smile as he spoke, his hand dropping to rest on his sword hilt. “I have little else to offer, I’m afraid.” That was a lie, but the single coin he had so easily offered already revealed him as more than the sot he appeared. It had also out-priced the other men at the table; they sat back one by one to watch from beneath hooded eyes.

Dax pursed his lips as if a thought had occurred to him. “Do you know how to use such a weapon, or would that wager be a waste of good steel?” He asked in an overtly placid tone.
Image Image Image Image

Cat
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Cat » February 15th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Tristram
Tristram would bet money on the fact that the man was from the Tower. He certainly wasn’t a farmer, and he had the look of someone who knew how to use a sword. Plus, the ‘boy’ was a dead giveaway. Tristram was twenty-eight, closer, in fact, to twenty-nine, and he looked every one of those years, if not more. He hadn’t been called ‘boy’ until he’d come here.

He just smiled and took a sip of his drink, before he reached out and pulled a gold mark from his purse, placing it next to the one the other man had produced. For good measure, he added another two, a show that gold really didn’t mean that much to him. Thankfully, it was his family’s reputation that had suffered when opposing the queen, not their purse, and he had a salary sent to him each month so that he wouldn’t struggle. There were plenty more gold coins. Most of it went on drink. It helped him not murder anyone.

“If calling me ‘boy’,” he finally said, his words just as lazy and confident as the other’s, the smile never once leaving his lips, “makes you feel more confident and less like an old, old man, go ahead. Whatever makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night.” He shrugged his shoulders, still confident, still very much self-assured. “And I wouldn’t be worrying about whether or not I can use a weapon, but whether or not your ‘good steel’ is just that and not a piece of crap. I don’t want to waste my time or energy for a piece of tin that will snap in half the moment I look at it. I mean no offence, but you don’t exactly look like the type of person able to afford a decent sword. What are you? A thug for hire?”
Image..&..Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » February 18th, 2017, 12:29 am

Dax
The Gaidin took a drink from his mug as he considered this unexpected impediment to his plans for the day. “You could call me that and it wouldn’t be a lie,” he said finally, one corner of his mouth turning up as he replaced the beer on the table. If the stranger hadn’t recognized him, that was just as well. “I tend to prefer the term sellsword. Less gritty. More romantic, don’t you think?”

The man’s attitude reminded the Tairen of people he would rather forget, and his body tingled in preparation for a fight. There would be no settling down to dice again, that much was clear. A decision formed in his mind, solidifying rapidly as he stared at the stranger’s handsome face. It wasn’t the most rational idea, but then again, not many of Dax’s thoughts about adversity were.

He scooped all the gold into his hand and stood without further preamble, depositing the coins into his purse with one fluid motion. “You wanted something more exciting, I believe you were saying. I’ll see you outside- if you aren’t too afraid of an old, old man with a piece of tin to retrieve your gold....mate.” He drawled the last word with deliberate emphasis, his hand falling to his sword hilt, then turned to walk outside.
Image Image Image Image

Cat
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Cat » February 19th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Tristram
Sellsword, thug, mercenary, sword-for-hire… It was all the same to Tristram, and he stared after the man with some amusement. Oh no! His money was gone! And his bravery had been insulted! What was he going to do now?! Quick! To arms! He couldn’t let the man escape!

He took a sip from his drink, not moving. The very fact that it had been a clear challenge made him not want to react. He had this funny thing about not wanting to do what people wanted, and he didn’t want people to think that he was that predictable, but, and he looked around the room, what was the alternative? Sit around and play for scraps with the farmers? Maybe he’d be lucky and win himself a pig! He’d name after one of the Asha’man.

No, the alternative wasn’t very entertaining, and the fighting would probably be far more entertaining, and so he stood, drained the rest of his drink and sketched a quick bow to the rest of the table, “If you’ll excuse me… I can’t make it look like I’m simply letting him have the money, can I? I’ve got to at least make him feel like he’s earnt it. Pride comes before everything…”

With another bow he was gone, and he headed out the door and towards the Tower sellsword He drew his own sword. It wasn’t fancy. There wasn’t any gilt or decoration, any rubies or gemstones embedded in the hilt, but it was well made, and the handle was worn smooth from years of use. A proper swordsman’s sword. He’d pretty much been taught how to use a sword from the moment he could walk, and he knew what a decent blade was.

“I promise I won’t go too hard on you, old man,” he said. “I’ll be sure to give you time to catch up, and make sure you have plenty of chances to catch your breath.”
Image..&..Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » February 27th, 2017, 4:49 am

Dax
Sometimes Dax made decisions that he immediately regretted. As it happened, the decision to challenge a soldier to a sword fight was one. What if the pretty fellow decided to light him on fire? Fool idiot. As usual the commentary was delivered in Jem’s disparaging voice, and Dax snarled a silent curse, uncertain whether he directed it at himself or his dead brother. The possibility of defeat did not occur to the Gaidin, though the stranger approached him with utmost assurance.

“Name’s Dax,” the Tairen said. “Easier to say than ‘old man’.” He smiled easily as he Unfolded the Fan. Why didn’t I challenge him to a wrestling match? The blade gleamed in the sun as Jem’s voice answered: Because you clearly enjoy torturing yourself, brother. He couldn’t argue with that statement, not after the last few months. The Gaidin shrugged and glanced around. Thankfully the inn’s customers were either too incurious or too inebriated to care about watching two strangers go at it with pigstickers; the courtyard they stood in was mostly empty.

Their blades crossed, and Dax noted his opponent’s solid stance with new interest. If he stuck to the sword, the fight might be a challenge after all...not that he had any intention of restricting himself. “All this talking,” he commented lazily, “and I don’t know your name, and you haven’t even hit me yet.”
Image Image Image Image

Cat
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Cat » February 27th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Tristram
There should have been regrets, thoughts that he was doing the wrong thing; he was facing a complete unknown, after all. He had no idea how well the man could fight, and he himself hadn’t actually fought against anyone in quite some time. Rusty was probably something of an understatement. Oh, he’d never stopped his sword drills, but facing an opponent was a completely different thing. You couldn’t predict what someone else would do. Plus, you actually had another sword involved. He wasn’t sure how he would go about explaining any cuts he might receive. He’d fallen out of bed? Walked into a wall? Just happened to wake up and find they’d mysteriously appeared? But, still, there was no fear, no moment of ‘oh shit’.

He took up a ready stance, his sword raised, a smile on his lips. He didn’t say anything, but simply threw himself forward instead, launching straight into the fight. He feinted, aimed a strike at the other’s stomach, immediately reversing the move, pulling back, to bring his sword up and in a slashing arc towards Dax’s neck. It would have taken the head clean off any novice swordsman, but he fully expected each blow to be met and parried, to be countered, and they were. Tristram was simply testing, testing, and testing, assessing his opponent, learning his speed, trying to find weaknesses. It was pointless to just try and batter your opponent to death.

He skipped back, started circling, leaving it for Dax to engage, and grinned, “’Dax’ might be easier, but ‘Old Man’ sounds so much better, don’t you think? And I prefer to remain a mystery. Can’t possibly reveal all my secrets, can I?”
Image..&..Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » March 3rd, 2017, 6:25 am

Dax
Dax floated in the ko’di, eyes intent on the dark-haired man, body moving with liquid grace as he responded to his opponent’s attacks. He flowed from parry to strike to parry again, then backwards to avoid a cut that could have reduced his height by a full head had it struck. He surged back up and struck again, a series of quick slashes that pushed his opponent back. Then they broke apart to circle one another warily.

Yes….the stranger knew how to use his blade. That much was certain just from that brief exchange. He also liked to taunt; the Tairen actually laughed in response to the other man’s most recent attempt, shaking his head as he feinted at the man’s left shoulder. “I bet I could find out who you are just by telling the Tower Guard I have a big-mouthed soldier who escaped their grasp,” he said, flashing a nonchalant smile across his blade. “Want to find out?”

His sword whipped around in a half circle, clashed against the younger man’s blade, slashed sideways, then thrust hard enough to make his opponent jump backward. Dax slid forward and continued to press his attack, his sword flickering as he tested reach, reflex, and holes in the man’s defense.
Image Image Image Image

Cat
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Cat » March 3rd, 2017, 10:36 pm

Tristram
Tristram gradually gave ground, still testing, still assessing, still trying to get a better feel for his opponent, hoping almost to lull the other into a false sense of security; make him act rashly to try and finish the fight early. He let his guard drop, letting one of the blows glance against his side. He winced, stuttered, and the he spun away, widening the gap between them.

“You’ve got to try harder than that, Old Man,” he said, even as he let himself breathe more heavily, seemingly out of breath and struggling just that little bit. He was a second too slow and only just managed to block the next blow that came. He gave more ground. “Do you really think the Tower Guard will admit to letting someone slip past? They might lose their job. You wouldn’t be so cruel to them, would you? Fu-”

He parried another blow clumsily, still being driven backwards, and then he suddenly stumbled, almost falling to one knee. He let his eyes widen, let out a curse, let his guard drop that little bit more, and then he was suddenly leaping forward again, the clumsiness of before gone. He attacked and attacked and attacked, a flurry of blows, one after the other, sword constantly moving, feinting, striking, trying this time to be the one to press the other man back.
Image..&..Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik