The View (Attn: Callum)

Home of all the Ajahs, Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

The View (Attn: Callum)

Post by Craig » December 4th, 2017, 11:59 am

Elia Sedai
Elia found herself flicking through her diary with trepidation. There were very few pages between today's date and the twins' birthdays. She had conquered a great many challenges in her life, including becoming an Aes Sedai and raising to the top of her Ajah, yet a birthday party full of four year olds was enough to make her weep. Especially without Dax.

She tore her eyes and thoughts away from the booklet in her hands, tossing it without care onto her writing desk. Making fists with her hands, Elia wished she could work out her frustrations just as Dax did. She had tried to drink away some of her pain but she could never get so drunk with the kids around, and she couldn't look to Ravak when he had his third kid on the way so soon. She was stuck, bound by duty and family to her rooms, whilst the other half of her heart was the Light knows where. Realising she was dwelling on her misery yet again, Elia slammed her right palm into the desk. She yelped as pain shot up her blackened limb. It looked like it had just been caught in a fire, with its cracked skin and twisted appearance.

This time she walked away from her desk, hissing from the ongoing pain in her arm. She only had a few moments to compose herself before someone knocked on her door, so she crossed to her tea stand and started to channel Fire. It didn't take long before the water in the glass teapot started bubbling, and with her good hand she poured some into a cup. There was already a bulb in the cup, suffusing the liquid with flavour as the bulb blossomed. A faint scent of roses drifted up from the teacup.

The anticipated knock at the door arrived. Elia carried her cup over to the large table by the back of the room, adjacent to the tall windows that overlooked the southeastern end of the Grey Tower. Then she padded back across her chamber, her slippers making nary a sound on the polished marble. She tugged the long sleeve down over her right arm, hiding from view her injury. The red dress was made of satin, although it seemed pink when it shimmered in the light.

Elia opened the door with her left hand, holding it for her guest to enter. "Come in, child." She had to raise an inquiry with Jaryd over why she was getting sent more and more Soldiers to converse with. Whilst she was able to provide them with plenty of information, she couldn't show them a lick of the weaves used in some of her research. Furthermore, she was the First Seeker, not some lowly newly raised Aes Sedai. Yes, definitely need to have words with Jaryd. Maybe remind him that he owes me, not the other way around.

She turned her attention back to her guest. It didn't take much to realise he was nobility of some sort, likely Cairhienin or Andoran by his complexion. Once he spoke she would recognise the accent.

"Take a seat by the window, child. What is your name, and tell me why you've been sent to me?
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Callum
"New Spring"
PC: Kylin Raitin - Soldier

Re: The View (Attn: Callum)

Post by Callum » December 4th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Kylin walked into the room looking around, it was a much nicer room than the one he and another Soldier shared in the learning rank quarters. He moved to the seat by the window and sat, studying the Aes Sedai as he did so. He didn't know what he was looking for and she looks just like any other Aes Sedai he had seen in his time here at the Tower. Calm and composed she radiated control like all of the Aes Sedai and Asha'man did.

"My name is Kylin Raitin Aes Sedai. I believe that I was sent here for a lesson on the basics of Ter'angreal." He said in the clipped tones of his Cairhenin accent. He refrained from asking how such a lesson would work. He was well aware of the fact that men could not see the weaves of women and vice versa. He would feel a prickling sensation if a women channelled near him but no more. He was also aware of the fact that Aes Sedai and Asha'man did not like to have their motives questioned by Soldiers. Questioning one was a good way to get sent to the Master of Soldiers, something he had learned the hard way. So instead he sat quietly and waited for her to speak.

Despite his confusion at how such a lesson would work, he was eager to learn what he could from it. Knowledge was after all the reason he had come to the Grey Tower and the more of it he could gather the better. Any knowledge, regardless how small it was could someday prove useful.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » December 7th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Elia
"Kylin Riatin," she repeated. So I was right about the nobility. And Cairhienin. She felt a slight flush of pride at catching those details so easily. "Consider yourself honoured. The Master of Soldiers seldom sends me people to learn the basics of ter'angreal." She kept bitterness clear from her tone, but by the Light she was going to swipe at Jaryd the next time they saw one another. She was the Head of an Ajah, not some toady little newly-raised Indigo!

On her way to the window-side table, Elia paused by her tea stand. She removed the tea leaves using a strainer, then added dashes of milk and honey into the dark liquid. Taking hold of the handle in her left hand, she sauntered to the table, taking the seat opposite the soldier.

"So child," she said after taking a sip of tea, "what do you already know about ter'angreal? Or angreal or sa'angreal for that matter?" Maybe Jaryd hadn't sent her a milk-sop. And sheep might fly.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Callum
"New Spring"

Post by Callum » December 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Kylin sat in the chair and watched as the Aes Sedai prepared her tea and sit down in the seat opposite him. He suppressed a grimace at her words, “Consider yourself honoured.” He hoped his dislike of that phrase didn’t show through on his face. It wasn't the phrase itself that made him want to grimace, more the idea that she was so far above him that simply being in her presence was an honour. Although she was a full Aes Sedai and he was a new Soldier so he supposed that it was actually a real honour to get a one to one lesson.

He considered carefully what he knew about Ter’angreal for a minute before answering. There was little on them or Angreal in the books in the Royal Library although he had read a book in them at one time. It hadn't contained much hard information about them and he doubted it had been written by a channeller. It had been too speculative and unsure to have been written by anyone who knew much about the subject. Despite this, it had contained a few points of note.

“From my understanding, Ter'angreal are objects related to the One Power. They are considered to be dangerous by most due to the variety of functions which they can perform. Angreal are also objects related to the One Power but they allow are a channeller to draw more or the Power than they could otherwise draw." He finished carefully. He had no idea if that amount of knowledge was good or bad but it was all he had managed to find the Royal Library.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » December 12th, 2017, 9:29 am

Elia
Elia was pleased, eliciting a glowing smile from the Shienaran. So he's not a complete beginner. That made life a bit easier and potentially lessened Jaryd's punishment. Potentially.

"A good start. You are correct to say that angreal and ter'angreal are related to the One Power. Add sa'angreal and cuendillar to the mix and you've almost completely got the subject covered."

The Indigo took another sip of tea before continuing. "Angreal and sa'angreal allow a channeller to draw upon more saidar or saidin than would otherwise be safe. Ter'angreal is a blanket term that covers anything that uses or reacts to the One Power that isn't an angreal or sa'angreal. This can mean anything from a candle that never burns out to a mirror that grants you vision of foreign locations, to a statuette that hides you from Shadowspawn. The effects between ter'angreal vary wildly and they can appear in almost any shape."

Elia took yet another sip from her cup before standing up. She walked over to her writing desk and briefly channelled to unlock one of the small drawers. Inside was an iron disc with a spiral engraved on each side. Removing it from the drawer carefully, Elia locked the drawer again with a strand of Air. She had used a simple key as security for the longest time until little Tomas had got a hold of them one day.

Returning to the table and to Kylin, Elia placed the ter'angreal down on the centre of the table. "This is one of the first ter'angreal I created. Now you said ter'angreal can be dangerous and this is true, just as a sword is dangerous. Proper use ensures safety.

Using her good arm, Elia pushed the disc across the table towards Kylin. "Now, I offer you the opportunity to inspect this disc. So long as you don't channel, you will not suffer any physical harm, but you'll find this object has other properties."

Sitting back, Elia smiled warmly, but her green eyes were slightly narrowed. She was curious to see the soldier's reaction when he explored the disc.
Spoiler: show
This is the ter'angreal in question.

Physical Description: An iron disc, three inches in diameter, with a spiral engraved on either side. One of the spirals has a coarse appearance.
Use / Function: This ter'angreal is untested, but channelling Spirit into it should allow the channeller access to Tel'aran'rhiod. Touching the coarse spiral fills a person's mind with warm and happy thoughts. Touching the smooth spiral fills a person's mind with dreams and nightmares.
Image Image Image Image

Callum
"New Spring"

Post by Callum » December 13th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Kylin watched as the Aes Sedai slid the disc access the table to him. Carefully he picked it up his hands only touching the edge of it. He held it between his splayed fingers as he studied it carefully, looking at the spiral pattern on it. The disc felt and looked iron to him. Carefully he turned it over, neither hand touching the pattern yet. He assumed that it was the pattern that would trigger whatever this ter’angreal. It was the only thing that really stood out to him.

He supposed he could channel into it but he has no intention of going against the Aes Sedai on that, not when it could do harm if he made a mistake with it. The spiral pattern was the same on the other side as it had been on the first side he had studied except that this side was smoothly patterned. Carefully he pressed a finger of his other hand onto the pattern.

Instantly nightmares filled his mind. He pulled his fingered back as fast as he possibly could and only just managed not to scream, small moan escaped his lips instead. He winced at the sound and carefully placed the ter’angreal down in front of him.

He remember what she had said “So long as you don’t channel, you will not come to any physical harm.” She had said nothing of mental harm he noted now. He had failed to pick up on that before, if he had it might have warned him about what would happen when he touched it.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » January 6th, 2018, 12:53 am

Elia Sedai
Elia made no comment. She simply took hold of the ter'angreal, fingers position carefully around the disc's edge. "Your mind may be abuzz with thoughts as to what this ter'angreal's purpose is, or you may still be shocked by its effects. It's hard to think of anything else but the pain, just the same as when a sword cuts you. But this is no sword, and its purpose is not to inflict pain." She replaced the disc on the table.

"Now many ignorant souls will regale you about how all ter'angreal are dangerous. Likely you are sharing similar thoughts, however, this is simply the result of inexperience and mistrust. For instance, this ter'angreal has nothing to do with evoking emotions, despite its innate ability to do so. Instead this is a way to enter Tel'aran'rhiod, the vaunted World of Dreams. Now Tel'aran'rhiod may also hold dangers, but this--" She tapped on the disc with a painted fingernail "--this is not dangerous."

The Indigo took another drink of tea. "Now you are likely wondering how one would go about discerning a ter'angreal's function. And that is a tricky question. Many objects of Power were created long before now, and there's no record of what they do. Unlike other skills, you can't learn and study from books or from memorising rote facts. It requires an active engagement, and a personal drive to educate one's self and rely on one's own instincts."

"That said, one can learn about creating ter'angreal from lessons. At least, for those objects we have created ourselves over the lifespan of the Grey Tower. But what interests you more, child? Learning what ter'angreal do or making your own? Or is your interest more abstract and less practical?"
Image Image Image Image

Callum
"New Spring"

Post by Callum » January 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm

He listened carefully as the Aes Sedai spoke. He had heard of the World of Dreams and a little of its dangers, enough to know that he didn’t want to visit it any time soon. He guessed that if he has channeled the correct threads into it then e would have been taken to there.

He forced himself to focused on the question. “My own interest would probably be classed as more abstract. I am interested in the gathering of knowledge.” He paused for a brief second then added “Although in this situation I would say I am more interested in the creation of Ter’Angreal. For what is the point of knowledge if we can’t use it?” He hadn’t meant that last part to sound like a question although he feared it had. He winced slightly at that. He didn’t want the Aes Sedai to think he was questioning her.

He did strongly believe in what he had said. Knowledge was a means to an end. He might love possessing it but where was the point in having all that knowledge of you couldn’t put it to use. Why gather all that knowledge then die without at least passing it on. It seemed like a waste to him.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » January 18th, 2018, 1:19 am

Elia
Elia's thin lips held a genuine amount of warmth as she smiled at Kylin, or at least at his words. She could appreciate a free tongue and a sharp mind so long as it wasn't directed as a weapon in her direction. What the First Seeker finally said was: "I quite agree. The Age of Legends left those of us in the modern day with a great many questions. Finding and recording the answers forms a part of the Indigo Ajah's work. But unlike Browns who are content at simply recording information, we go on to use it for practical means. Bare that in mind when you come to choose your Ajah."

Still smiling, the Shienaran rose again from her seat. She didn't go back to her desk, instead leaving the disc ter'angreal on the table. She headed towards her twins' room, looking for a open-topped wooden box. It was from a time when she used to teach Accepted how to make ter'angreal, although the box and its contents were now used for a great number of things by her children.

After a minute she reappeared from the bedroom back into the main chamber, holding a short wooden rod in her good hand. The bark had been picked away in places by small hands, but it was still recognisable as a branch from a silver birch tree. As she said, Elia placed the branch beside the iron disc.

"Now I can no more teach you on how to create a ter'angreal than you can teach me how to start a fire, but I'm sure there's a few general pieces of information that I can provide. Few people know or understand where ter'angreal come from, but I can show you. However, if you want a practical demonstration with saidin then you'll need to speak to one of my male colleagues."

Elia placed a hand on either side of the two objects. "The origins of ter'angreal are not arcane. A smith needed to manufacture this disc for me, after a good deal of study and experimentation on the materials that I needed for the purpose I desired. This branch is the basis for a different type of ter'angreal, one with little practical purpose, but it's important that it is wood and not iron, nor any other type of material. Shape, size, and structure are all integral to the creation of ter'angreal. You can't force your intent on something that is incapable of holding it."

Breathing out deeply, Elia opened herself to the One Power. Glory and warmth filled her as she called upon saidar. Concentrating on the branch, she wove an invisible netting around it, formed predominantly of Air. Thin wispy embers of Fire danced around as Elia used the One Power to reshape the branch into a more regular shape. The branch needed more Fire to render it capable of receiving her weaves, but she held off on that part for now. When her modified weave was completed, the slightly bent and picked-away-at branch looked like a woodworked dowel. She picked it up and offered it to Kylin. "Shape, size, and structure. Now that this has been reformed, I can move on to producing the weaves that will transform it into a ter'angreal. Your thoughts so far?"
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik