Doing What We're Good At [Maever]

Home of all the Ajahs, Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Doing What We're Good At [Maever]

Post by Sunny » June 15th, 2017, 12:26 am

Dax lifted his head a little, staring across an expanse of rough wood. Between pitchers, plates, silverware, and mugs, he could see a group of men and women gathered close together at the next table. They were simple blurs of gray, black, and white from his vantage, but he could hear their speech clearly enough.

”He’s gone dippy, he has. Hiding in his quarters and crying like a child, the servants said.”

Tittering laughter preceded the next comment. ”Who’s ever heard of a crying Asha’man? Ridiculous.” Dax snorted softly, letting his eyes close once more. You must be new to the Tower, girl.

”Can you blame him? Remember what happened to Marcie and Doran. Those...Bubble...things were awful.” Fear and compassion tinged that voice, though it didn’t stop the speaker from adding, ”still, I’m surprised the M’Hael hasn’t done anything. Standards, you know.” Foolish to gossip so freely, but then- perhaps they believed him inebriated. On most other days, that would have been a fair assumption.

The Tairen slowly pushed himself back to a sitting position, his attention focused on the group. A man in black sat back in his chair, paring an apple with his belt knife. He had his eyes fixed on a novice -a young woman with black hair- as he chimed in to their discussion. “You’ll never catch me in the Yellow Ajah. Bunch of cringing skirt-graspers, if you ask me, and that one’s the worst of the bunch.”

He popped the bit of fruit in his mouth- then choked on it when Dax’s hand wrapped around the scruff of his neck, preventing him from sitting forward. “What the blood- oh, good morning Dax Gaidin. Do you need another drink?” The words were spoken in an overly innocent tone; the gleam in the man’s dark eyes told Dax all he needed to know about that particular man’s intentions.

“They say idle hands do the Dark One’s work, children,” the Tairen said, his gaze shifting from one youth to the next with barely disguised fury. “And I’ve heard more than enough this morning to believe it. You will report to your respective masters and tell them you require something useful to do with your free time. Immediately.”

His grip tightened on the unfortunate soldier before he could squirm free. “Who were you talking about just now?”

“Asha’man Maever,” the boy responded.

“Blast it. Go!” And without looking to see if any of them did as he asked, Dax strode out of the dining hall.

---

“Maever isn’t taking visitors.” Dax didn’t recognize the Yellows who blocked his path, but in truth they could have been the personal concubines of the Seanchan emporer and the Tairen wouldn’t have cared. Get out of my way! He had pushed Christianne out of his way to get to Elia, but he could hardly employ the same tactics against four channelers.

“Five minutes. That’s all I ask. Please.”

The portly Asha’man who seemed to lead the group looked at the other three, but when he straightened he shook his head once more. “He has asked for time to himself and as he is in no danger we will respect his request.”

“Blood and ashes, man!” Dax scrubbed at his face, grateful that he had taken the time to clean up before looking for the Yellow, yet still feeling exhaustion drag at his bones. “No danger. The most gregarious man in the Tower is hiding in his room and you say there is no danger?”

“Certainly not. He is a grown man and can take care of himself.”

“You are a short-sighted fool.” Well. There went any chance of diplomacy. The Tairen’s brows drew together as he tried to regain lost footing. “Gaidin exist because channelers cannot take care of themselves,” he continued, moderating the annoyance from his tone as best he could. “I’ve spent decades learning how to do my job, the least you could do is allow me to use it to help him.”

The woman peered at him curiously. “I didn’t think you cared about all that unless there was gold involved, Dakson,” she commented in that infuriatingly distant tone that all Aes Sedai adopted. “Did he bond you?” She doesn’t have to sound so bloody surprised at the idea.

“Light, no!” Dax emitted a short bark of laughter. “Who would want to be saddled with my mess of a life?” He shook his head. “No, I am simply a friend. A concerned friend, who owes him a favor.”

“A moment, if you please.” The four withdrew a little ways, talking quietly. Dax stuck his hands in his pockets and waited with poorly concealed impatience until one of them returned. “Very well. Five minutes.”

The Tairen bowed, only semi-mockingly. “Much appreciated.” Then he walked into the Illianer’s chambers, kicking the door shut behind him.

“It’s Dax,” he said. “I’m not leaving.”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Re: Doing What We're Good At [Maever]

Post by Matty » June 15th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Maever Donovan "Dear Grey Tower, it do be with great sorrow that I do be announcing..."

"No, that do no be right," Maever muttered to himself, taking another piece of paper and starting again.

To the Fang, Flame and Blade of the Grey Tower, I do be very sorry..."

"No, that do no be right either," the Illianer sighed. He cast this aside also.

Propping his head on his right hand, he doodled along the page in front of him, not really looking at it. Maever had been looking for the right words since he had returned to his rooms, drooling and crying and setting the Yellow Ajah all aflutter on his behalf with varying degrees of patience. Some of them had little time for him, whereas others were more sympathetic, having endured their own questionings at the hands of those "inquisitors". Still, Maever's return had not been particularly befitting of a leader or indeed a competent person. It was most unfortunate, and Maever owed his Ajah - and the Tower - a big apology.

Running away was easier though. The bags were packed and at the foot of his bed. Gifts he had received - flowers, little cakes, shy messages of good will - filled the little table next to his bed, though Maever hadn't touched any of it. He didn't know whether to take them with him or not. There was also a small bag on top of everything else that he'd earmarked to give away, but the "how" of it was still unknown to him as it would involve leaving his room.

He just had to finish this one message...

A glance down at the paper and all Maever had written on the paper was "sorry". I suppose that do be a good enough summary, the Illianer told himself glumly.

His door opened, because it would be a very short thread if he left it locked, and Maever bolted upright in his chair as Dax let himself in. It was with wide eyes and a quickening pulse that he got to his feet, putting his back to the table as if to hide his shame. It wasn't enough though, Maever could still feel the invisible memories of his mouth, not responding to his instructions, failing to articulate as he was asked over and over, "do you walk in the Light?"

"Blademaster Dakson!" he all but squeaked, skittish eyes looking at the door, but the order to leave never came. The Gaidin had made the trouble to come and visit, throwing him out would be most rude. Even so Maever put his hands together and wrung them in a nervous gesture, aware that he wasn't worthy of the visit. He felt dishevelled, tired, ugly, useless, how could he be anything more when it was how his Brothers and Sisters made him feel? How they made him be? A hand went to his inadequate hair before tidying his coat, then it was back to wringing, but the man was stood there and Maever had to be a good host. Did he really anticipate Maever telling him to leave? He could never be so rude. "Fortune favour you. Oh, please, do be taking a seat- oh no but no this one please ummmm it do be, er, so..." the Illianer broke off with a nervous laugh that was closer to hysteria than humour as the burly man took a step closer. "Uncomfortable." No lie there, the chair was rather uncomfortable when you sat in it for hours on end.

"If it is uncomfortable, then why were you sitting in it?" the man questioned in that easy manner he had, the one that made Maever think he was actually drunk when he clearly wasn't.

"Ummm. For some writing," Maever sidled sideways as Dax tried to look over his shoulder, "Ummm, writing that do be personal. For me. Ummm."

It certainly hadn't been five minutes but there was a knock at the door and Serala Sedai poked her head around, black hair waving her in. "Your time is up Gaidin," she said in that nonchalant voice of hers. "Maever, is he bothering you?"

"Oh, no, it do be a pleasure to have him here, truly!" Maever insisted, "he can stay! I will let you know if I do be needing anything, thank you, yes thank you for your kindness, I do be very grateful," the Illianer was babbling and he was glad when she closed the door on them, though her gaze at the Gaidin was not a fond one. Something he would think about some other time. Maever licked his lips and turned to put away the paper.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » July 5th, 2017, 6:29 am

Maever could babble with the best of them, but in those first few minutes he emitted a veritable torrent of words. Dax listened, at first, but could not quite stop himself from pointing out the obvious fallacy in Maever’s statement about his chair. That led to a particularly anxious comment about writing.

Before the Tairen could inquire, the Aes Sedai poked her head back inside. It has certainly not been five minutes, Dax though, both amused and annoyed by the woman’s meddling. When the woman’s gaze turned to him, the Gaidin bared his teeth. Sarcastic words almost spilled from his lips, but his eyes happened to shift to Maever’s face and he immediately closed his mouth. Mocking a Sister would do absolutely nothing for his friend, no matter how satisfying her reaction might be.

Alone once more, Dax found a seat in a chair not unlike the one Maever had already decried as uncomfortable. He glanced around the room, finally noticing the obvious preparations for departure, but said nothing about them for the moment. The Yellow had made his papers disappear in that moment of distraction and now looked even more uncomfortable than he had before.

“I heard you’re having a hard time,” the Tairen said when it became apparent Maever wasn’t planning on speaking. “I did a little more asking around and learned that it started after Darrow’s little...experiment.” That was one way to put it. ‘Inquisition’ was another that got whispered about the halls. ‘Insanity’ rang even closer to the mark, but no one had asked for his opinion on the matter. More was the pity in that regard; sarcasm and colorful language might actually improve the situation. Maybe.

Dax stuck his legs out in front of him and linked his hands over his stomach, quirking his lips up briefly before continuing. “You are my friend and I don’t think you should be alone with whatever happened to you,” he told the Yellow decisively. “Whatever that voice in your head is saying, it’s a lying liar that lies, and is not to be trusted. Even a disreputable, drunken mercenary is better company than that.” Somewhere inside his mind, he thought he could hear Jem laughing.

His eyes drifted back to the packed bags, while his writer idly wondered whether this was actually physically possible since it seemed odd for Maever's bed to be in his front chamber. A moment later the Tairen told his writer to take a long walk on a short pier, thank you very much. He needed to say something that involved Maever's travel plans and therefore the bags were present. He turned his attention back to the Yellow without giving his brother (or his writer) any more thought. “So. Where are we going, exactly? If it's cold I'll need to grab my coat."
Image Image Image Image

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » July 5th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Maever may well be good at babbling, but talking about his heart? That was not so easy. The invitation was there, the Gaidin was practically throwing it in his face to talk about the interrogation, but all Maever could muster up was a look of alarm and a sudden need to rearrange the little shelf of equally little plants he had in his room. Those little nudges and turns occupied him and he fretted about how he was supposed to say something so horrible about another man, a man that meant well but had inflicted a lot of harm upon him in the process. Besides, it was what the Hall had agreed upon. Maever was just another member who went through the process.

"If it did catch any Darkfriends," he murmured in a low voice, "then it do be for the greater good. My suffering do no be important to the Grey Tower, when they can harm the shadow." More adjustments to the plants were made, plants he had already shifted before. Constant change, becoming something more than he was before, wasn't that how it was supposed to work? Why couldn't he be one of those plants, tilting towards the light to feel the warmth without being turned by greater hands?

It was very kind of Dax to come and check on Maever, but it was entirely unnecessary. There were many important people at the Grey Tower and Maever was not one of them, they would need a man like Dax to take care of them in their time of need. It was selfish of Maever to take up so much of his time. So the thought of the man leaving the Tower with him was met with a look of alarm (a natural expression for the Illianer), and he actually turned to give this look to him instead of the plants. "Dax, fortune prick me, you should no be leaving the Tower, it do be a dangerous time. There do be lots of people who do be needing you, after the, ummmm, in-interrogation. Questioning. You can do a lot of good here, and it would be selfish of me to be taking your time. I do no be wanting to do that to the Tower." The Illianer made an awkward shuffle to the little bag on his bed, and the wrapped up items on top with the note. All it said was "Dax".

"I did want to bring these to you, but, er, I did no be knowing how, so I did no," the Illianer went on with a red face, holding them out for the Gaidin. At his expression Maever said "you can open them now, it do just be... well, the money you did give back to me, I did use to go and get something I do be thinking you would use." Maever wasn't a man who knew about armour, but he'd gone to someone who did, and apparently these were top quality bracers worth the money he had spent. The Illianer was clueless to the intricacies of them, all he knew was that they looked clean and expensive and fancy and definitely worthy of Blademaster Dakson.

"I do be wanting to go to Illian," Maever murmured, seeing no reason to hide anything from the man. He sat on his bed, hands resting in his lap, looking awkwardly at his feet. Up close the Illianer's eyes were dark, and he looked tired. "There do be a small town I did go to sometimes as a child, ummm, I do no be wanting to go there, but somewhere like it where I would no be knowing anyone. Just to see the farms and rub a chicken's belly and, well, ummm, no be at the Grey Tower. It do be needing some time to recover and, ummm, I do no be a good Healer at the moment. I suppose I did no really know how to go about leaving, so I do just be here, trying to work it out without upsetting anyone. Umm. Sorry." The man gave a small grin at his own expense, "I do be talking too much, do no be minding me."

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » August 25th, 2017, 6:47 am

Dax took the parcel from Maever with a bemused expression, listening with half an ear to the Yellow’s hurried explanation. As the Asha’man sat, Dax pulled away the wrapping on the package. He flashed a brilliant smile at the giver as he ran his fingers over the embossed design on the bracers within, but the delighted expression faded as he realized exactly how upset Maever really was.

Hastily he reviewed what the Asha’man had been saying. Oh, Light. There was more to unwrap in that room than a pair of bracers and the prospect made him uncomfortably aware of how little skill he had with words. At the same time, Maever had helped him find peace and forgiven him a nasty deceit. The Gaidin owed him something for that, no matter how ill-equipped he felt for the task.

For the moment, Dax remained silent. Man or woman, he had learned long ago that when a person needed to speak it was best to simply let them. So he opened his ears and listened as he examined the fantastic workmanship of the gift the Yellow had given him. Eventually he settled the bits of leather across his lap and leaned forward, meeting Maever’s eyes.

“I would be very sad if you left the Tower.” It wasn’t entirely fair to play to the other man’s emotions like that, but Dax had never exactly played by the rulebook. “What they did to you was wrong. You don’t deserve to be chased away by a glorified bully. I mean it, Maever.” He wasn’t sure himself whether he was talking about Ravak Darrow or the nameless person who had tortured the Yellow. He supposed it didn’t really matter.

Dax paused, looking for what to say. The urge to simply give the man a hug slid across his awareness and vanished. Maybe later. For now, it was more important to focus on the words. At least the thought of a hug made those come easier. “You are my friend, Maever. Maybe the only one I’ve got. You...saved me.” He chuckled to cover his embarrassment, then slouched back in his chair in feigned relaxation.

“If I had to pick someone to protect it would be you, not the woolheads in the Hall who don’t share half a grain of sense between them.” That had not come out at all like he had intended, but as he examined the words, he realized he had meant them. There were connotations to that statement he wasn’t quite ready to examine, but...perhaps in time. The fact he was even considering it caused Jem to mutter angrily until the Gaidin banished him.

The Tairen picked at the lacing in his new bracers as he continued, tugging the loops loose, then pulling them tight, then loose again. “What I’m trying to say is that I go where you go, Tower be burned. We can…rub chicken bellies…and talk, or I can just leave you alone. Either way! When you’re ready, and not a second sooner, we’ll come back together.”

He abandoned the laces and held his hand out. “Deal?”
Image Image Image Image

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 26th, 2017, 11:48 am

It didn't occur to Maever that people would be upset at him leaving the Tower. Why would they be? So when Dax outright said it, he went from disbelief to guilt, and bounced between the two in an awkward struggle between knowing he wasn't deserving of such nice people, and sadness that he could be so selfish as to inflict such negative emotions on people. It was a lot harder to up and leave when doing so would make Dax unhappy...

"Dax!" Maever all but yelped. As wonderful as it was that Dax considered him a friend, it only added to the fact that he couldn't just... up and leave now. He'd upset Dax! And he couldn't take the man with him, he had a family of his own who needed him more than Maever. The idea that he was worth protecting more than anyone in the Hall was completely absurd, and the Illianer let it slide over him with his usual uneasy nature of deflecting lofty statements. "I do just be Maever. The Hall do be making decisions for the good of the Tower. if I do no be the right fit, then... ummm. I should go?" Dax was giving him a flat look he recognised as someone about to admonish him, albeit gently, over what he was saying about himself.

As lovely as the thought of rubbing chicken bellies with Dax was, it wasn't going to happen. Maever couldn't leave the Tower with him, it would be too distressing for his family. And he wouldn't be able to go without the man, unless he snuck away, which was not the Illianer's style at all. So it looked like he would be sticking around, and the acknowledgement made Maever's shoulders slump. Once again he couldn't do what he wanted, because other people had their own ideas, but Dax was a friend. Maever could be utterly selfless for a friend. As for someone in the Hall who wasn't his friend, that was different. It struck Maever in that moment that he was quite accustomed to being told what to do by other men, and sometimes it was okay. Other times it wasn't. A particular face came to mind, one he thought was decent before (and incredibly handsome), but in that moment it would have looked better with a broken nose.

His left hand balled into a fist.

"Ravak Darrow do be a big bully!" he told Dax vehemently. "He did do what he do be thinking do be the right thing for the Tower, and the Hall did vote on it, but... but... I do no be agreeing with it! It was no nice, and people do no be deserving to be treated like I was treated. I do be better than that. I do be deserving better. And Ravak... ummm... he do be needing a smack in the nose! So he does know how it do be feeling to be doing a good job, and then people do just turn up and shield you and throw you around like a sack of potatoes."

Maever was on his feet, pacing with a different sort of energy. He was upset, yes, but there was also that unusual slither of cold anger at his own treatment, a rare display of indignation that would pass soon. "So, ummm, if I do be staying Dax, then will you help me find our Blademaster Master of Arms and let me punch him on the nose?"

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » September 2nd, 2017, 4:33 am

Dax watched Maever carefully. He had not said no to the Gaidin’s suggestion, but he hadn’t said yes, either, and he still looked sad. Dax snorted derisively The Hall do be making decisions for the good of the Tower? Gag me with a spoon, mate. They don't care about anything but their own bloody power. He belatedly realized that, oddly enough, the statement rang false even as the Yellow spoke it. He might believe he wasn’t a good fit for the Tower -the Light alone knew why!- but he knew the Hall had made a poor decision. So why pretend otherwise?

The sight of Maever actually making a fist gave the Tairen pause. He glanced from the man’s hand to his face, brows drawn ever so slightly together. You had better not blame your-

He needn’t have worried. “Ravak Darrow do be a big bully!”

Dax slouched back at indolent ease as words continued to pour from his friend’s mouth. One arm looped over the back of the Tairen’s chair and he drew a foot up on the front rung. A wide, appreciative smile slowly spread across his face as the words kept coming. There you are. Maever was still Maever; he was clearly uncomfortable with offering violence, and yet! For the first time since Dax had met him, the Yellow admitted he was worthwhile and he wanted to stand up for himself.

"So, ummm, if I do be staying Dax, then will you help me find our Blademaster Master of Arms and let me punch him on the nose?"If not for word choice and tone, Dax would never have believed Maever would make such a request. A dozen inquisitors could have barged through the door and the Blademaster would have remained oblivious to their presence. He just grinned up at his friend in unmitigated approval as he considered how to respond.

“Why not both?” he asked finally, his tone amiable and encouraging. “Easy enough to pay him a visit before we go to Illian, don’t you think?” He lifted the bracers off his lap with his free arm and pushed himself to his feet. Maever looked confused, or perhap mildly alarmed. The Tairen flashed him his best grin, blue eyes warm. “No time like the present, mate. Ravak will be in his study- let’s go.”

The Yellows outside gave them a startled look. Dax winked and blew the woman a kiss, then turned his attention back to Maever as they walked away. “What would you say if I told you that you don’t have to forgive someone whose decisions hurt you? Most of the people in this Tower are twats, you know. Why let their selfishness control you?”

Maever had given him a dose of compassion. Perhaps it was his turn to give the Yellow a dose of pragmatism.
Image Image Image Image

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 2nd, 2017, 10:39 am

The stars all aligned in just the right position for this to be enabled. Dax was not stopping the Illianer in his moment of rare violent energy, and being just the right level of encouraging that would keep him sustained without putting him off. The Yellow was caught at just the right time, so when Dax whisked him away he didn't have the time to be afraid or to second guess himself, he just... went along with it. Like a good Asha'man should. He gave a small nod to the Yellows outside before they scuttled away, Maever keeping pace with the Warder.

It was odd to Maever to hear just how much of an island Dax was. It was a little bit sad really. His disdain for the Tower had to come from the fact that he'd been disappointed by other people before, and the Grey Tower was supposed to be a safe haven where bad things didn't happen. Maever had been burned by that safety being torn out from under him, but Dax - who must have had a similar experience - had landed on his feet, and was all the more isolated because of it. Even in his own emotional flurry, Maever wanted to put an arm around the man surrounded by people, but still alone.

"Oh Dax," he said softly, "I do no be forgiving people because it do be better for them. I do forgive them because it do be better for me to do so. I do no be needing to carry that anger with me all the time. But sometimes, umm, I suppose it do no be so simple as that." He gave a wan smile, but it wasn't apologetic. "There do be a big difference between forgiveness and friendship." He wanted to talk about how there were a great many lovely non-twats in the Tower, because there were and it was sad that Dax felt the way he did about them, but, erm, there were a few less pleasant people as well. Maever didn't want to disagree with him but at the same time his experiences were coloured by recent events as well. Were the Hall more interested in their own bids for power than that of the people? Because that wasn't right. He was going to have to talk to the Sitters for the Yellow, see what it was truly like in there. If it was as bad as Maever feared, then he was going to have to do something proactive about it. That meant running away wasn't the answer.

The Gaidin looked as if he was going to say something but then he cast a look over his shoulder. "You have a following," he pointed out, and Maever looked to see that a small group of Yellows were following from a distance. "Do you want me to get rid of them?"

"Ummm..." the Illianer shook his head. "No. Let them come along as well." The stars aligning indeed. He gave Dax a grin, "they do probably be thinking that you do be a bad influence. And curious about what we do be up to."

The Illianer thought he would be more nervous than he was when they reached Ravak's study. The man knew this was because Dax was there to keep him company, making him bolder by proxy. Would the man be in, or would they instead be met by his wife? Because if that was the case, Maever wasn't sure that this plan would actually work. Unless she agreed with them, but couples were strange in that their core values and beliefs molded together into one identity that they shared. It was a little off putting and not something Maever could relate to. "There do no be any time like the present." Maever rapped on the door with a confident hand, looking far more reassured and collected than he did when they left his rooms. A short way away, the Yellows huddled together to observe, talking quietly among themselves.

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » September 6th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
Ravak's office - his third identical office in the Warder Hall - felt less like home than the previous two had. It had nothing to do with the fact that this room's private study was on the left hand side instead of the right (as it had been whilst Master of Training), or that it was closer to the central staircase (unlike the Gaidin Captain's office, further down the hall). Frankly, those details were minor. No, it was because he had somewhere else to call home, and someone to go home to.

The Shienaran smiled as he thought about Mia. She was in her study, back in the Grey Tower, probably facing down the same sort of paperwork that had accumulated on his own desk. He missed the days when most of his work was practical in nature, but paperwork seemed to rule the world, or at least this small part of it. Rav had always been about doing what was best for the Tower, and if that meant using his quill instead of his swords, so be it.

Midway through reviewing an order for the forges, someone knocked on the office door. Ravak didn't react immediately, anticipating that the door would be opened shortly thereafter by Ferran, who would no doubt be added more paperwork to the Master of Arms' already impressive pile. When no Ferran was forthcoming, Ravak glanced away from his desk and towards the entranceway. "Come in," he beckoned in much the same tone as he had whilst Master of Training. The door being shut was an unspoken indicator that he wasn't to be disturbed, but clearly whomever was on the opposite side of that doorway thought this an intrusion worthy enough of his time. And if it distracts from the paperwork...
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 8th, 2017, 8:25 pm

When Ravak called for them to enter, Maever gave Dax a final look, as if expecting the man to try and stop him. He didn't. If anything, he looked like he was still as encouraging as before, and perhaps just as interested as the Yellows were to see where this went. In Maever went, leading the way, and he closed the door behind Dax when he walked in. The Yellows outside would just have to listen, rather than see. "Hullo, Ravak. Umm. I do be appreciating that you do be a busy man, but there do be something that I do think it be important to discuss."

"Of course." Even when agreeable, the Blademaster had a rough, northern quality to him, his gravelly voice adding to that effect. If there was any confusion as to what brought Maever and Dax to his rooms, he was hiding it quite well. Maever gave him a small smile, a little surprised at himself and how nervous he wasn't. Before, when they had trawled through Hama Valon together, Maever had thought Ravak incredibly handsome, skilled with a blade, and almost above accountability. Now he just looked incredibly human, and there was something endearing as well as empowering about this. "Would you care for a seat?"

"Oh, no thank you," Maever said amiably. He cleared his throat, then went on with a little flutter in his belly after a reassuring look from Dax, "ummm, you do no doubt be remembering that recently you did call for a questioning of every Aes Sedai and Asha'man in the Tower, to be confirming that they do be walking in the Light. To root out Darkfriends within our walls. For the good of the Tower. The Hall did vote on this, the motion did get passed, and people were questioned.

I do be here to tell you that when a patient do be ill, we do no add more poison to their system to flush the bad out. We do no fight fire with more fire. If you do be too violent, then things do get burned that should no be. And that do be what did happen to me Ravak, because you did bring this idea up. You did hurt a lot of people through your actions, but I do no be here to represent them. I do be here for me, Maever Donovan, a man who did get bundled away to the depths of the Tower, shielded, and... and tortured by a fellow Asha'man! That do be what did happen - torture! A ter'angreal so I could no use my limbs properly, could no speak properly, and- and it did hurt me, not just physically, but... in my heart as well." The Illianer put a hand to his chest, looking crestfallen at his hand. Then he looked up, and he mustered his conviction back into his tone.

"You do be a good man Ravak, but you did allow a bad thing, and for that... I do be very upset because I do be a good man, and I do be deserving better from the people I do strive to help every day in the Infirmary. I did no be knowing what to do with how unhappy and upset I do be, but then I did decide I would come here and let you know how it does feel. Ummm. With my fist. So, I do be planning on punching you on the nose, and then I will forgive you for what you did to the good folk of the Grey Tower."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik