A Meeting (attn Marla)

Home of all the Ajahs, Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: A Meeting (attn Marla)

Post by Alianora » February 3rd, 2017, 11:34 pm

Liaran
Liaran listened intently to the Asha'man's explanation, a bit surprised to learn that an entire Ajah had sprung from one woman declaring herself to be Red. She had not expected that, though the explanation did make sense to her. She wondered how the Red had endured as an Ajah as the Asha'man talked about his time leading the Tower, leaving the Ajah memberless. The Accepted found the history quite interesting, but when Jaryd Asha'man finished speaking, the room was silent. Liaran pulled her sleeves down as she considered what to ask the Asha'man next. She wanted to know what had made him choose the Red over the Grey, but wasn't sure if she should ask that, as it didn't pertain to the Ajah as a whole. The rumors that swirled through the Accepted halls said that Jaryd Asha'man was both violent and dangerous, and Liaran had no desire to find out if there were any truth to them. She was afraid she might, if she did ask, and if he found the question offensive.
She thought for a short time before deciding she'd just have to risk asking that slightly more personal question and see if he was willing to answer. Liaran raised her head but could not stop herself from fiddling with her sleeves underneath the desk. She hoped he wouldn't notice that display of nerves as she spoke. "If you don't mind," she started, "what made you choose the Red when you were certain you'd choose Grey?" Her voice shook slightly, and Liaran hoped she managed to appear less nervous than she felt. The Accepted struggled not to dwell on some of the stories she'd heard, and what might happen if the Red became angry with her.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » February 5th, 2017, 7:20 am

Jaryd
Jaryd tilted his head, giving the Accepted an intent look. “You ask a lot of questions that others have not,” he commented easily, his too-young face relaxing into a smile as he spoke. She looked concerned and perhaps a bit confused, though she hid it well. “Relax,” he said, waving his hand, “I value intelligence and curiosity; they will serve you well. I’m not going to eat you for asking a question.”

He thought the Sea Folk girl might very well believe just that. He ignored that thought, and instead thought back over the many years to when he had been a Dedicated. What had drawn him to the Grey Ajah? It felt as if he looked at an entirely different person as he examined his younger self.

“The events that led to me being trained as a channeler are the stuff of nightmares,” he said finally, his tone thoughtful, human, true grief showing past the cold distance of Tower training. “I will spare us both the details. Suffice to say that afterward an Asha’man took me away from the Rahad to the Black Tower, where they endeavored to force train me to become a single-minded weapon. Given….how my ability manifested itself, I could not -would not!- do as they asked.” He had suffered for it. His stomach cramped in memory, and he shook his head. “After six months of torment I ran away. I wandered for some time before I found my way here.”

The Asha’man took a breath, realizing his fingers had curled into his upper arms so hard that his knuckles had paled. He carefully released his grip before continuing. “I swore when I began training here that I would not use the One Power as a weapon again. It was cheating, I thought. How could anyone who cannot channel, or anyone who channels less than I, stand a chance in the face of my power? I focused my studies on defense and assistance to those in need and put thoughts of war behind me.”

Liaran still seemed interested, or at least not bored. He grimaced a little, and forced himself onward. “With that mindset, Grey seemed the best choice of Ajah for me. I wanted to address the unjust practices of the Westland nations without going to war against them. Law and diplomacy seemed the most peaceful, direct way to do that. If I could argue down a king, change laws, and shift bad policies...that seemed more productive than any cataclysmic battle.” He took a breath.

“And then I met Carra.” He hadn’t thought of her in years, and yet in that moment, he missed her terribly. They had built something beautiful together. “She wanted to address the same things I did, but she had a more philosophical...broader, I suppose...view of what that meant. She wanted to take direct action to balance the damage that the Shadow does to the world via slow corruption and unseen manipulation. She didn’t care if she used words, a dagger, or the One Power, so long as the job was done.”

“And that was all it took?”

“Yes.” Jaryd gave her a crooked smile. “Although I was committed to my purpose, I was not a model Grey aspirant. I got in physical fights, and my mentors despaired of taming me. I memorized laws, but then used that knowledge to work around them, or argue their invalidity. I got in philosophical arguments with my betters, and proved to be abysmally poor at the Great Game.” That, at least, had not continued to be true. “I did not know when to speak and when to close my mouth. No amount of studying could help with that...and still hasn’t.” His eyes twinkled.

“The truth is, I grew up by the law of fist and blade long before I dreamed that I could channel, and that part of me never truly left. Carra’s approach appealed to me; it reminded me of the good work I had done at home. If she could approach problems that way as an Aes Sedai, then so could I...and I didn’t have to use saidin against innocents in order to win.”

He studied his fingernails for a moment. “A Shadowsworn assassin attacked me in the Gardens soon after I showed interest in the Red Ajah. Realizing the Shadow could infiltrate even this safe place only served to strengthen my resolve to counter them at every step. And thus...here I am.”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » February 12th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Liaran
The Accepted let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding, relieved that she hadn't managed to anger the Red. She had fully expected that response, or at best, a polite refusal to answer. That Jaryd Asha'man was willing to explain his decision at all was a surprise to her, and Liaran found herself quite shocked when he began by referring to the "nightmare" that learning to channel had been for him. It wasn't something she would have expected him to admit, especially not to an Accepted he didn't really know. His choice of words made her wince, briefly recalling the first time she'd channeled and ripped two people from the Pattern. Liaran couldn't honestly say she regretted it, given that her ship would likely have gone down without her action, but the memory wasn't an easy one for her. She sat up straighter, forcing her attention back to the Asha'man, as he continued talking.
She had never expected such a long and detailed answer, but Liaran found herself far from bored. Rather, she found it quite interesting to learn how someone else had chosen an Ajah, given the amount of difficulty that task was causing her. If he hadn't been telling her, Liaran would not have guessed that his choice of Red seemed to have been largely influenced by just one other friend. “And that was all it took?” she asked. Surely it couldn't have been that simple. It became more clear to her as he continued that she was correct, and that he had had other reasons to choose the Red over the Grey. Liaran had thought the two were complete opposites, but after listening to Jaryd Asha'man's explanation, it was a bit easier to see how they were similar. For herself, however, the Grey was not an option, and she remained uncertain about the Red. "Thank you for answering that question," she said. "It's helpful to know how someone else chose their Ajah, since I'm having some difficulty with my own choice." There were times when the Accepted was afraid she'd be called to her testing and still have no clear choice in mind. "I can't think of anything further that I think I need to know about the Red. Is there anything else I need to know that I haven't already asked about?" Liaran asked, wanting to make sure she'd learned as much as she needed to know before being dismissed.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » February 13th, 2017, 12:03 am

Jaryd
Jaryd relaxed where he stood, pursing his lips thoughtfully as he considered Liaran’s question. Is there anything else I need to know? Yes...there were many things she would need to know, though most could not be shared until her decision had been made and finalized forever. That meant they both had to be certain that if she chose Red it was truly where she belonged. He had taken a risk with Astoria that he did not care to repeat.

“There is little more I can share at this time,” he said, “beyond this: if you are interested in my Ajah, I will need to get to know you a great deal better than I do. I, and the other Reds, must know we can rely on you, both on your own and as part of our group. Where are you from? What is your story? What are your skills? What do you bring to the table that will benefit us, and how can our own abilities bolster yours? What are your weaknesses? What keeps you awake at night? Who are your enemies, and why? All of these questions have an impact on your training and your suitability. Relax! You do not have to give me answers now,” he said with a chuckle as the woman gave him an askance look.

“Choosing an Ajah is no easy task. It takes some people years to decide where they belong, and then years beyond that to finally acquire the knowledge they need to be raised into that group. For you...if the Red seems at all interesting to you, I would recommend speaking at length to both the Blue and the Green Ajahs before coming back to me. I outlined some of our differences, but there are certain similarities, as well, and it would be a good idea to explore them.”

He grinned at her, entirely at ease now. “If you do choose to follow this path, you and I will be spending a great deal of time together as you prepare for your shawl. I am not always at the Tower, but if you wish to speak with me again you may leave a note in the box outside my quarters. I will find you upon my return."
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik