Pitchforks and Forges [attn: Bella/Derren]

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: Pitchforks and Forges [attn: Bella/Derren]

Post by Roan » July 18th, 2018, 12:12 am

Paks
Paks approached the stall, but stood behind Derren initially as she looked in. Doll was munching away on her hay, and looked at the Ji’val only after grabbing another mouthful of hay. Paks wasn't brave enough to approach the stall, and stood slightly behind and to the side of Derren, looking at the pregnant mare over his shoulder, “Hello, Doll.”

The mare looked back to the two humans for a moment before focusing on her hay once again. From where she was standing, Paks could see the beast’s swollen belly, “Wow. . .she does look like she’s ready to pop, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pregnant horse before, so for me to say as much is saying something!”

The Ji’val looked from the pregnant mare to Derren, “I’m guessing with as much time as you’ve spent around horses, you’ve probably seen more than one beast give birth. What’s it like? I mean. . .it seems a miracle that woman could give birth and spit out a baby. I can’t imagine what it’s like for horses.”

‘My aren’t we talkative to the blacksmith Asha’man?’ Jesi appeared over his shoulder. Paks ignored her.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » July 18th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Derren actually chuckled a little at that. "I can describe what it's like to witness, but not what it's like to do. It's not something I'll ever experience firsthand, unless some sadistic Indigo or Yellow comes up with something terrifying with the One Power..." It was delivered so dryly, with a faint twist of his lips with humor.

"But yes, I've been in attending for a few mares when they delivered, and I may be here with Doll. I see her a lot." Turning back to the mare, he leaned on the stall door again and thought it over. "It's...frightening. You worry about the safety of the mare, of the foal. But the most amazing part is how quiet the stable gets. Like every other animal knows."

Roan

Post by Roan » July 19th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Paks
The Ji’val was fascinated as she listened to Derren describe what he’d witnessed with other mares giving birth. Part of her wanted to be there when Doll gave birth, to be part of that experience first hand. Whether she’d actually get the chance remained to be seen. She’d seen foals running around some of the pastures near the stables, and knew they were no small things. She still couldn’t quite imagine how one of those came out of a mare.

Truth be told, Paks could barely understand how women could give birth to babies. Tilting her head slightly, she gave a rueful smile, “Before I came to the Tower, one of the people in the troupe I worked with gave birth. We were on the road to our next town. I was maybe nineteen years of age? I was told to help, and got to witness the entire thing.”

Paks paused, and laughed softly, “Well, most of the entire thing. Apparently, I passed out the moment the head...what was it they called it? Crowned? I woke up with the father fanning me. He helped me up and just as I got to my feet, the little one was born. Tristan nearly pushed me down to get to the midwife and his child.”

‘You never told me that story,’ Jesi said.

‘Never got the chance,’ Paks replied and let go a sad sigh.

‘No you don’t. . .you’ve been smiling. Don’t let that get you down, my heart.’

Looking to Derren, Paks gave a small smile, “There’s a good chance if I were to watch Doll give birth, I might faint.”

Bella

Post by Bella » July 20th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Derren smiled with subtle amusement as he listened to her story, though as he watched her face, he wondered if he picked up on a shift in her demeanor...but maybe he wasn't reading her right. He didn't know her that well after all, though if they kept spending time together, that was sure to change.

"You're certainly not alone in that," he said with a chuckle. "Many cultures don't even have the fathers in the room as the mother delivers, but there are many stories of those who were also fainting. I've also heard stories of the mothers fainting, but honestly, I think they have more reason to." He chuckled quietly.

He looked at Doll as she lifted her head from her eating, swaying a little. "Hmm. Any day now, I think," he said thoughtfully as he watched her. If you looked very closely, you could almost see the baby's body shift slightly against the stretch skin of her stomach. "I always feel terribly for the horses when they get this close. It doesn't look pleasant. Nor for human women."

Roan

Post by Roan » July 23rd, 2018, 12:54 am

Paks
Paks looked to the mare’s belly where she saw it move, and went wide eyed, “Light! I know a person can feel baby kick, but to see one actually move. Doll. . .you gotta be ready to get that little one out of you, eh?” The mare started nodding her head and snorted before taking another bite of hay.

The Ji’val turned and looked to Derren, “So. . .is my first lesson going to be with Doll, or was this just where you happened to be standing when I arrived?”

‘To the point, aren’t we? He would probably appreciate a little more small talk,’ Jesi appeared next to Derren once again.

‘We’ve got enough time for small talk. . .I’m with him for the bulk of the morning,’ Paks replied.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 23rd, 2018, 1:14 am

"This was just where I happened to be," Derren replied with a quiet chuckle. "A pregnant mare can be as moody as a pregnant woman, so I would hardly consider her to be a good starting point."

He pushed himself away from the stall door and gave a quick nod for her to follow him. "No, we'll be starting with the training ponies. They are smaller and very docile. We use them to, well, teach people about horses, both in terms of anatomy, gear, and then riding for some people, although size of horse and rider is a consideration."

Not that the young woman was of a considerable size, but there had been other trainees that just were too big for the ponies.

He brought her to another stall where there was a smaller, somewhat shaggier bay gelding. "This is Markus. He's one of the nicest horses here in the stables and has been helping people get to know horses for a long while."

Roan

Post by Roan » July 23rd, 2018, 2:16 am

Paks
Markus moved to the stall door as Derren and Paks came to stand in front of it. The bay stuck his head over the door and gave a low winnie as he started to sniff first Derren and then Paks, though the Ji’val moved to stand slightly behind the Asha’man.

‘Are you hiding behind the Asha’man? You’re training to be a Gaidin who protects people like him and you’re hiding behind him?!’ Jesi teased.

At first, Paks didn’t move, but after a few seconds, she moved shoulder to shoulder with Derren. Her tension was palpable.

‘He said this was the most gentle horse in the stable, and you look as if you’re about to bolt if he looks the wrong way at you. You are adorable,’ Jesi continued.

‘I am not adorable,’ Paks countered.

‘Yes, you are.’

“Nice to meet you, Markus,” Paks said, though there was a bit of apprehension in her tone. The horse sneezed and Paks only just managed not to jump. She looked at the beast and its soulful brown eye, “So. . .where do we start, exactly?” The gelding looked to her and reached out with its head, sniffing at her. She wasn’t quite brave enough to hold out her hand. . .she’d heard stories of horses biting and their teeth were, well. . .BIG.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 24th, 2018, 2:35 am

It didn't take someone skilled at reading body language to see that Paks was scared of the horse in the stall, despite how small he was and the stall wall between them. Derren didn't say anything about it, though. He just stood at the wall, resting his thick arms along the top, and watched the horse eat his hay while waiting for Paks to ease closer.

Once she did, she asked what was next. Given the clear fear she felt, he was impressed by the question, but certainly didn't intend to rush anything.

"Well, first, we are just going to stand here until you stop looking terrified," he said with a small but kind smile. He was teasing a little, but mostly spoke in earnest and understanding. While he had never felt the fear himself, he could still understand it. "Once you're feeling easier, I'll halter him and walk him out. Hold him while you get comfortable with his nearness."

Roan

Post by Roan » July 25th, 2018, 3:04 am

Paks
The Ji’val wasn’t well versed with the Void and Flame, but she knew just enough that taking deep breaths could help calm a person. So Paks focused on her breathing, taking slow, deep breaths. After about the fourth or fifth, the tension she felt started to leave.

Markus decided the hay was more interesting than either the Asha’man or Paks and had returned to his hay net. Every so often, the bite he took got caught and he had to shake his head up and down to pull it loose. Once, he shook so much, he ended up with hay on the top of his head. Paks couldn’t help but laugh softly, “Silly boy. Now what are you going to do? You can’t get the hay off of your head.”

To prove her wrong, the gelding shook his head, and the hay slid off. Paks looked to Derren, “You can lead him out now, if you wanted.” She felt a little less terrified.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 27th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Derren watched her closely, studying her expression and body language. When he was assured of himself that she was indeed not quite so scared as she had been, he nodded once and moved back to open the stall door. He took the halter and lead rope from the hook and entered. Markus lifted his head and grumbled a little as the halter went on, but he handled it placidly.

"I'll bring him out," he let her know, clicking on the lead rope and leading him to the gate. He opened it, then walked through with Markus, who just plodded along, very familiar with this procedure.

Walking the pony out into the aisle, he then brought him to a halt where there is plenty of space. "He is very calm, but I would caution against loud noises and running around. What will startle a person can startle a horse. Best to come up from my side of things, where his eye can see you."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik