Like Father...

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Like Father...

Post by Craig » April 24th, 2018, 9:35 am

There was a knock at the door. Elia's gaze rose from the paperwork spread over her rosewood desk towards the sole doorway leading in and out from the Amyrlin's office. "Come," she beckoned.

Isadora Taavo, the Keeper of the Chronicles, swept a suitable curtsy before speaking. "Your niece has asked to see you, Mother."

A smile formed on the Amyrlin's face as she rose to her feet. "I have a few minutes. Send her in." It had been some time since Elia had last had a chance to speak with Kaira. She was her brother's daughter, but Elia near enough considered Kaira to be her own child. She had been Kaira's confidante and mother figure, that much was not in question. Elia moved around her desk, stepping closer to the door so she could greet Kaira properly.

The tall figure that stepped into the Amyrlin's chamber was not Kaira Darrow. Elia's gaze had to raise quite some distance to meet a pair of malachite-hued eyes set beneath a mane of flame-red hair. The giant bowed deeply. "Mother."

"Zarayne." Elia's tone held a mixture of disbelief and disappointment. Ravak's other daughter was practically a stranger, yet Elia had been good friends with her mother. She had chosen the Yellow Ajah when she was raised, and her dress was a pale shade of amber as a sign of that.

When Elia didn't add more, Zarayne signed. "Mother, may I?" The tall woman was gesturing towards the door. Elia simply nodded, then returned to sit behind her desk. She couldn't keep despondency from creeping into her heart, denoted by the way the Amyrlin slouched in her chair. If Zarayne noticed, she said nothing. After closing the door, she moved to stand before Elia's desk. There were a number of seats she could have taken, but ever the Aiel, Zarayne opted to stand.

"Mother, I have news from the Infirmary, concerning Kaira Darrow."

Elia sat upright. "What is it? Is she hurt? What happened?"

"She is fine, Mother," Zarayne replied in a far too even tone of voice for Elia's liking. "She is, however, asking for your presence."

Elia scanned the ageless form of Zarayne's face, looking for some hint or sign of... well, anything. It was like studying a statue, albeit a pretty one. That trait had certainly been inherited from Sinead.

"If she is fine, what is she doing in the Infirmary, and why is she asking for me?" Elia's tone was suitably tart. The Amyrlin Seat shouldn't have to go digging for answers.

"I believe it would be best if she explained that, Mother." The Aielwoman finally showed some emotion as a wary grimace twisted her lips. Kaira and Zarayne weren't close, yet it seemed she was invested in whatever was occurring.

If not for the fact that this concerned Kaira, Elia would have sent Zarayne packing. Instead, the Amyrlin stood and walked towards the door once more. "Lead the way, Zarayne," Elia sighed. She really hoped this wasn't another one of Kaira's ill-thought-out pranks.
---- Kaira gnawed on her lower lip, casting furtive glances towards the doorway. She had a horrible image of her father walking in with his face in a scowl, shouting and yelling. Goosebumps rose across her arms just at the thought. "Burn me," she muttered. Kaira knew she was far from perfect, far from being like Zarayne, but she'd really cast her stones in the wrong pond this time. Bad luck had followed her since birth, but she recognised that this situation was at least partially of her own making. It didn't stop her cursing at everyone else she could hold responsible, however.

Kaira froze as a shadow appeared at the other side of the door. The handle turned, causing a similar feeling to form in her gut. She'd already been sick but that didn't stop the wave of nausea that swam through her.

Auntie Elia stood at the other side of the open door. There was no-one with her; Auntie Elia was always flanked by her circle of attendants. Kaira wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing, although the way Elia rushed over made her hopeful of the former.

"What's the matter, Kaira?" Elia took a hold of Kaira's hands in her own. It was just the signal Kaira's body needed. Her muscles softened in her aunt's grip.

"I made a mistake," Kaira quietly admitted. Her aunt's gaze inspected her critically.

"What did you do?" Elia asked. Suddenly Kaira's head was being turned this way and that as Elia scrutinised her eyes, her ears, her mouth-- "Was it a ter'angreal? Did you try drawing too much saidar? Tell me, what was it?"

Kaira gently took hold of her aunt's wrists, moving them away from her overly thorough investigation. "No, nothing like that. Nothing to do with the Power."

"Then what?" Auntie Elia was getting impatient; her tone was clipped.

Kaira steeled herself. She inhaled deeply, letting the breath out slowly, all the time watching her aunt's face. When it shifted far enough from irritated to worried, Kaira was finally capable of speaking.

"I'm... I'm pregnant."

Elia froze. As time passed without a reaction, the hole inside Kaira's middle widened. This was a mistake. I shouldn't have told anyone. Except that wasn't an option. If not for Auntie Elia being the Amyrlin, then the Yellows would have already told the Mistress of Novices, who would have then contacted her father and stepmother. The knot of worry and fear manifested again as she realised all of the horrible things yet to come.

Auntie Elia still hadn't moved. Her face was unreadable, truly Aes Sedai in appearance. If Kaira couldn't see her nostrils flaring, she would have thought Elia had turned into a statue. Kaira couldn't bear it. "Auntie, please, say something."

"I..."

Kaira wasn't used to seeing her aunt speechless. Her eyebrows knotted towards in concern. "Should I tell Dad?"

"That would be best," came her aunt's slow reply. "He will find out. It's best if it comes from you rather than from a messenger."

Kaira reached for her aunt's good hand, squeezing it tight. "Will you come with me? I don't want... I don't know what he'll do."

Leaning over, Elia pressed her lips to Kaira's forehead. "Of course, child." Straightening, Elia looked Kaira straight in the eye. "But first, I think it's better if you tell me how this came to pass."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Craig
Librarian

Re: Like Father...

Post by Craig » May 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Someone knocked at the door. Rav's gaze rose up from the pages before him towards the door into his apartment, but when the person on the other side didn't open the door and enter, he sighed. Not that he expected Mia to knock before entering her own home, but that would have at least saved him the effort of getting up.

Placing his book down, Ravak rose up from his chair before the fireplace and crossed the room. He put on a friendly smile before opening the door, one that widened as he saw his guests.

"Well, hello there!" Elia stood front-and-center, but Kaira was close behind. Rav shot a quick glance along the corridor. "This isn't official business, right? I don't see your gaggle."

"No, brother," Elia stated simply. For a wonder, she left it at that.

Ravak stepped back into the room, holding the door open. "Well, come in then." He caught Kaira's eye when she entered. "Good to see you. It's been a while." Kaira flashed an awkward grimace; typical Kaira. When they were both inside, he shut the door and walked over to the tea stand. "Either of you want tea? That's assuming we still have any. We've had a few visitors as of late."

"I don't need tea," Elia stated.

"Kaira?"

"No tea." Kaira's response was just as plain as Elia's. They were two peas in a pod.

"Alright..." Rav turned back towards his two guests. He waved a hand towards the other chairs in the room. "Well, have a seat. How're you both? Here to see Iain I take it?" The youngest Darrow was next door, sound asleep.

"No," Elia injected with a little force. "We're here to see you."

"Oh?" Ravak returned to his chair before the fire. Whatever this was, he wanted to be seated. "Okay," he said once settled, "has something happened?"

"I think it would be best if Kaira explained." Both Elia and Rav turned their heads towards Kaira. She stared intently at the floor, evading their eyes. "You should tell him," Elia urged. Kaira sniffed, her head raising a touch, but she still refused to speak.

"Tell me what?" Rav asked. When there was no answer, he repeated himself with more force.

The flaxen-haired Novice whispered something. It sounded like... "I'm pregnant".

Ravak rose to his feet. "What?"

"She's pregnant," Elia repeated. The Amyrlin looked into her brother's eyes, but they were set on the downcast form of his daughter.

"What?" His tone was a mix of shock and anger. He moved towards her, crossing in front of Elia. The elder Darrow raised a hand to stop him. "No!" Rav barked as he pushed through Elia. Kaira's head was in her hands, so Ravak bent down to kneel before her. "What happened?" he whispered. "Who did this to you? If you were attacked--"

Kaira's head snapped up. "I wasn't attacked!" Spittle struck his face. Kaira slumped backwards in the chair, getting as far from her father as possible. "I know you would be like this!"

"Kaira..." Elia chided as Ravak asked "What?"

Kaira sighed in irritation, scowling at Ravak. "You still look at me as if I was a child, but I'm not. I wasn't assaulted; I wasn't forced into having sex." She crossed her arms over her stomach. "I know what I want and I know how to get it."

Elia moved in the corner of Ravak's vision but he couldn't process it. His mind was struggling with the idea that his daughter was pregnant. Pregnant and complicit. His hands shook on his knees.

"You know nothing!" he yelled. Kaira flinched but the angry look on her face didn't vanish. "What in the name of all things were you thinking? You're still a girl--"

"I'm a woman!" Kaira spat back, sitting up. "Not a girl, not a child, not a babe cradled in your arms!" She sighed angrily. "And how are you one to judge? How old were you when you had Zarayne?"

"I was older and that was different and I taught you better--"

"How did you teach me better?" she laughed bitterly. "Three children by three different women. It's a wonder this didn't happen before now."

"I'm your father! You don't get-- Wait, before now?" Rav's tone hardened. "What do you mean before now? How long have--"

Kaira scoffed, but it was Elia who injected. "Both of you, quiet!" She pressed her arms between the two of them, one hand pressed against her brother's chest whilst she blocked in Kaira with her withered arm. "The baby's crying."

Despite the sound of boiling blood filled his ears, Ravak could hear Iain crying. How loud was I shouting? Does it matter? Peace, when will Kaira ever learn to be normal! Ravak let Elia hold him back. Once he got back to his feet, he stormed through towards Iain's nursery.

His temper was frayed. He had no idea what to do about his daughter or the situation she placed herself in. "Stupid girl," he cursed. Ravak stood over the crib, listening to Iain's cries. His hands slipped around one of the upper bars, gripping them tightly. "Creator's peace, what is she doing with her life?"

Iain's cries continued for some time until Elia appeared by the side of the crib. Ravak didn't acknowledge her presence, but he watched as she focused on his son. After a few moments, his crying stopped of its own accord.

She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Ravak?"

"What did I do wrong?" he rumbled.

"Plenty." Ravak finally looked at Elia, but neither her face nor her tone were accusatory. "No-one is perfect, so no parent is perfect. Children will do as they please regardless, or because of our intentions for them."

"But Light, Elia. Why does she do this? And how could she let this..." His sentence devolved into a long, exasperated sigh.

"She's not a child, at least not in years. And whilst you may have a great many questions and grievances to air, there are two things you need to note."

"Which are?" Rav asked.

"Firstly, she's your daughter. Don't push her away."

"I'd never do that."

"You just yelled at her," Elia admonished. "She needs your support, not your judgment."

"And second?"

Elia gave a humourless laugh. "And second, Kaira is still a Novice. Thus the Mistress of Novices needs to be made aware of her situation."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 16th, 2018, 1:16 pm

At some point during her father and aunt's absence, it had been reasoned out that Kaira should attend the Mistress of Novices' office alone. Her father sat opposite in silence, his face warring between anger and distress. Auntie Elia was the one who spoke, understanding and patient as always. "Before you go, there is something you need to know."

"What?" Kaira asked.

Her aunt glanced across the room towards Ravak. "The Mistress of Novices changed this morning. Miahala is now Mistress."

"Oh blood and ashes," she groaned. Kaira squeezed Elia's hand. "Please Auntie, come with me."

"It won't help I'm afraid. It will seem like the Amyrlin is interfering, or that her stepsister is interfering. Neither will help your cause."

Kaira nodded with a smile but she felt miserable.
---- The sun outside did nothing to alleviate Kaira's mood. Nor did the tall figure that appeared from nowhere to walk beside her.

Zarayne was her father's first daughter, and she preceded to outdo Kaira on every metric. She was taller, smarter, even arguably more attractive than Kaira herself. She also had the shawl of an Aes Sedai around her shoulder and a Great Serpent ring on her finger. Kaira had neither. Bad luck had followed Kaira from the day of her birth, and now here was her half-sister to rub it in her face. They were halfway towards the Mistress of Novices when Zarayne broke the silence. "How was your conversation with Ravak Darrow?"

"Terrible," Kaira groaned. She didn't like admitting that to Zarayne, but she needed to tell someone.

Waves of ginger hair shifted as Zarayne turned to face her. "Miahala was not there? He is harsh without her."

"Ugh, Miahala is who I'm going to see. She's the Mistress of Novices now. Just my flaming luck."

Zarayne ignored the cursing. "She is reasonable from the interactions I've had with her. She'll treat you fairly."

Kaira snorted. "Treat me fairly? So I'll get a handful of coin and get sent away? Great, can't wait." They stepped into the shadow of the Grey Tower. The temperature seemed to drop ten degrees.

"If you need anything, I am here for you Kaira."

Kaira wanted to snort again, but Zarayne's tone stopped her short. That and... She's being honest with me? Their strained relationship hadn't changed since Zarayne had become an Aes Sedai, but at least now Kaira knew the Oathsworn shouldn't lie. Helpful when she was so plain-spoken.

"Thanks," was all Kaira offered. She wasn't going to gush good will over Zarayne after a few words of kindness.

No more words were spoken until they reached the entrance of the Great Serpent. Zarayne paused near the large doorway into the building, so Kaira slowed to a halt beside her.

"Good luck. May you always find water and shade, Kaira Darrow."

"Uh huh."
---- Kaira didn't have to wait long to see her stepmother. The queue outside the Mistress of Novices' office only consisted of one other novice when Kaira arrived, and Miahala disposed herself of that burden quickly and efficiently. When the door opened to a white dress speeding away towards some form of penance, Kaira forced herself to stand. Stepping into the doorway, she saw Miahala behind her desk. A cold sweat came over her.

"I... I'm here..." She took an unsteady breath. Facing Miahala really shouldn't have been any worse than telling Auntie Elia or Daddy, yet here she was, trembling like a leaf. She forced herself to step inside the office, resting her hands on the back of a chair before trying to speak again. The words all came out at once. "Mistress, I was just in the Infirmary and I was speaking to a Yellow because I was feeling unwell and he did some Delving and Healing and said I was pregnant."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » May 16th, 2018, 8:34 pm

This is how my first day begins...

Miahala stared across her desk at the girl she barely knew. Neither Zarayne nor Kaira seemed particularly interested in getting to know their father's wife. She would have been happy to get to know them better, but she would not force her presence upon them. It had to be their choice, and equally in their own time.

This, however, was not the way she had anticipated it beginning. Of course, Ravak's suddenly soured mood made a great deal more sense, if she had seen him first. Which would have stood to reason.

The Green's face gave nothing away. There were precious few things in all the world that could break her facade if she chose to remain impassive, and this was not among them. She inhaled slowly and let it out silently, then her expression softened a little as she saw the girl shaking. "Sit down, child, before you hurt something." She waved at the chair whose back Kaira was gripping so fiercely.

After a moment, she went on, "I presume that your father is already aware of this?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 16th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Kaira sat down hard. A small part of her was embarrassed but mostly she was frightened. She didn't like being frightened; that left her vulnerable.

She tried to find solace in Zarayne's words about Miahala's fairness, but that was impossible when sat across from her judge, jury, executioner and stepmother.

Words rushed forth from her mouth before she could put a stop to them. "Yes, and Auntie Elia, and Zarayne, and probably half the Infirmary too. I didn't mean for this to happen; it's just there's nothing to do here. I wanted some fun. I wanted a life. It's not right that I've got to be second fiddle to Zarayne. Why does she get everything whilst I'm still a novice?"

That was far more than she ought to have said or shared. At least she had stopped short of complaining about how her father's attentions had waned after Mia and the baby.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » May 16th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Miahala sat and listened as yet another small torrent of words seemingly just leaped from the girl's lips. Her brows rose ever-so-slightly with her surprise, but she didn't interrupt.

This was clearly a multi-faceted problem, which would require both Mistress of Novices and stepmother. Mia would have to speak with Ravak as the girl's father. For the moment, however, she could not be Ravak's wife and Kaira's stepmother. She needed to be the Mistress of Novices now.

"Have you considered that your jealousy of your sister, and your desire to...just have some fun, as you say, may be contributing to why you remain a Novice?" she asked. Her voice was low and not unkind, but serious as well and a little pointed.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 16th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Kaira grimaced. That wasn't what she meant, and Miahala had pick her up in a way she hadn't intended. "It's not like that," she protested. Kaira heard the adolescent petulance in her voice and stopped.

She huffed. "I was doing just fine before Zarayne showed up, and I was doing just fine afterwards. Then she got her ring. Then she got her shawl. Why did she get tested when I haven't?" And there's the petulance again.

"'Work hard and you can become whatever you want.' That what Daddy always said. But it doesn't seem to matter when it comes to me. Everything I do is a disaster." There was a litany of events to prove that. "What am I supposed to do when the Pattern is against me? Like now, one thing happened and I'm a step from being kicked out of the Tower. It doesn't matter how hard I've studied or the fact I've lived in the Tower all of my life. Just one thing and I'm here, being judged."
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » May 16th, 2018, 11:09 pm

"You're not being kicked out of the Tower."

That was the first thing Miahala said, her tone solemn and sincere. "Rules have been broken, and you will need to answer for that," Mia went on. "But I will not kick a young woman out of her home for this. You are far from the first and you will be far from the last." Despite what some might think, Mia had never been one of them, though.

She'd waited until after she was Aes Sedai to start that behavior, but she understood it in others.

"But your father was not wrong," she went on. "Work hard and you can become what you want. What you missed was that nowhere in that statement are the words 'in the amount of time that you decide.' There are few things that we wholly decide for ourselves, and this is one of them. You will not be called upon until you are ready.

"This, however, is beside the point of the moment. There is still the present matter to deal with." She took another breath, considering the matter in her mind. "Was the Yellow able to determine how far along you are?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 17th, 2018, 9:33 am

Kaira
"You're not being kicked out of the Tower." That brought some relief, and also a new set of anxieties. The punishment for breaking the rules could be gruelling. Getting sent to the Farm rivalled being kicked out of the Tower, based on what she had heard. It settled her nerves a bit, though, knowing she wasn't about to be turfed out of her home. Her limbs stopped trembling quite so violently.

Then came the hammer blow that she was precisely where she ought to be; in whites, without the Great Serpent ring her aunt and stepsister - and stepmother, light - all wore. Yet everyone kept saying how talented she could be, how strong her potential in the One Power was. Once she had even heard a favourable comparison between herself and her mother: "she could be even more gifted than Mirin". Resentment didn't come close to what Kaira felt for her mother, the Darkfriend who had murdered dozens, yet she couldn't outright hate her. And by all accounts, she was an accomplished Aes Sedai in spite of the Shadow darkening her soul.

Those thoughts flashed through her mind in the time it took the Mistress of Novices to ask her next question. "I was told five weeks. I think it's closer to six," she admitted quietly. It wasn't as if she snuck out of the Grey Tower every night; those nights were the exception, not the norm. "What are you going to do with me?" She didn't want to be punished, but it was coming. Better to learn now than sit in suspense.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » May 19th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Miahala leaned back in her seat, pressing her fingers together and leaning them back against her lips as her mind rolled through things. She knew the girl was impatient to get this over with, but this Aes Sedai--like most, if perhaps more than most--was not one to be rushed. And as Mistress of Novices, she was not a blanket-punishment type.

She preferred when the reprimand fit the transgression.

Her eyes never left Kaira, rarely even blinking. She had been told it was unnerving, but obviously would never be able to experience her own stare firsthand. "For the next months, you will have no lessons. Instead, you are going to volunteer the majority of your day at the House of Children in Hama Valon.

"Particularly helping out in their nursery, with the infants and youngest of children. You will be under the care of a Yellow daily to assure your condition remains healthy, but so long as it does, you will spend most all of your time caring for the children. At the end of that month, you and I will meet and speak again."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik