A Lesson in Warding Attn: Roan

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

A Lesson in Warding Attn: Roan

Post by Alianora » January 8th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Amaranie
Amaranie hurried down the hallway, headed towards her next class. As she did, the novice tried to figure out just what it was that she'd be learning. She knew it was one of her channeling classes, covering something called Wards, but though she'd heard the word before, Amaranie wasn't quite sure what they did. She hoped she wouldn't be expected to know much right away. She shook her head, tossing her dark brown ponytail over her shoulder to dangle down her back. The hall seemed to stretch out forever, and she picked up her pace before she finally reached its end, coming to a stop.

There were classrooms to either side of her, but Amaranie already knew that her destination was the room on the left, and if she hadn't, the slightly open door would have confirmed it for her. Amaranie brushed a speck from the otherwise perfectly clean white dress she wore, then pushed the door open further and went inside. She was surprised that she was the only person in the room, but since she was a bit early, the novice wasn't concerned. She took a seat and her blue-grey eyes focused on the door as she waited for her teacher to arrive.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: A Lesson in Warding Attn: Roan

Post by Roan » January 12th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia strode down the hallway to the classroom she preferred to use when teaching Wards, and gave a tug to the black vest she wore over her dark green blouse. The heels of her riding boots resonated loudly with each step, and part of her smirked as she thought how appalled her mother might be with the noise she made simply walking. She had no reason to hide her steps or be stealthy here, so she didn’t bother.

Adjusting the sleeves on her blouse, Tia stepped into the classroom and found the Novice waiting. “You must be Amaranie. I am Tia Sedai and I’ve been told you would are to learn about Wards. Is this correct?” As she asked the question Tia started to move several of the desks back, forming what seemed like an empty circle in the middle of the classroom. In the middle, she put two chairs facing each other, and waved for the Novice to have a seat.

“Why don’t we start with you telling me what you know of Wards? If you know nothing at all other than the word, that’s fine. If you know what they are and what they can be used for, great. I just need to know what my starting point is,”Tia explained.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 14th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Amaranie
Amaranie heard her teacher approaching before the door opened. The novice pushed herself to her feet as the Aes Sedai appeared, lowering herself into the required curtsy. She looked down at the floor and folded her hands, not looking at her instructor until the Aes Sedai spoke to her. Tia Sedai wasn't unknown to her, since she'd been the Mistress of Novices until recently, but if anything, that made Amaranie even more nervous than she generally was in all of her channeling classes. The novice dared to look up, nodding in response to the question she was asked, but didn't look at the Aes Sedai's eyes. She stepped back towards the edge of the classroom while Tia Sedai rearranged the desks, seating herself only when the woman indicated that she should.

She worried that Tia Sedai would be disappointed with her lack of knowledge, despite the Aes Sedai's assurances that it would be fine if she did not know much. She just didn't trust her, or any of them. Amaranie shivered, then nervously answered the question. "I don't know anything about Wards," she confessed, eyes dropping back to the desk. "I've heard the word before, but nothing else." It seemed to her that this lesson was not getting off to a good start, and Amaranie couldn't help feeling less than eager for it to continue.

Roan

Post by Roan » January 17th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia offered the Novice a warm, broad smile, “That’s quite alright, Amaranie. In fact, in some ways, it’s not a bad thing to know so little since it means you don’t come in with any preconceived notions that may be incorrect.”

The green sister took a seat opposite Amaranie and crossed her ankles as she rested her hands on her knees. Sunlight flooded through the wall of windows, and the two chairs sat right in the middle of a 'pool' of sunlight, offering a bit of warmth in the otherwise somewhat chilly classroom. Winter wasn't quite done with the Grey Tower yet.

“You’ve heard the term Ward. Have you thought about what it could mean? If so, why don’t you tell me?” she asked. “Don’t worry. . .I’m not grading you on your answer, but I am curious what you might think.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 19th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Amaranie
Amaranie had wondered what Wards were since she'd been assigned to this class on them, but the novice hadn't come up with any ideas. She was sure that Tia Sedai wouldn't accept that as an answer, so she was quiet for a while, eyes focused on the top of her desk as she tried to think of what a Ward might be or do. After some time, she recalled one of the few times she'd heard the word, when another novice had mentioned during chores that the kitchens were Warded against rats and other pests. Amaranie hadn't understood what the other girl meant at the time, but now that she was considering it, thought it must mean that the Ward kept vermin out of the kitchen. Nothing else made sense, and it seemed like a good enough guess to answer the Aes Sedai's question.

Amaranie's head lifted, and she looked in Tia Sedai's direction, though not straight at her. "Once, during chores, I heard someone say that the kitchens are Warded against pests," she began. "I suppose that means they can keep bugs out? I'm not sure." She blinked, looking down at the floor again, and hoped her answer was enough to satisfy Tia Sedai.

Roan

Post by Roan » January 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm

Offering an encouraging smile, Tia nodded, “You are on the right track. Some Wards are meant to keep things or people out, while others can keep things in. The Ward you’ve heard mentioned in the kitchen is one you will learn later in this course. In essence, a Ward is a barrier, of sorts. A common Ward people might use is one that alerts them if someone passes through the Ward.

“Another Ward prevents others from eavesdropping on you so your conversations remain private, while yet a different Ward can hide an object from prying eyes. Perhaps most important would be the Ward to keep Shadowspawn at bay. These are the four we will work with during the course of your training,” Tia explained.

“Let’s start with the first Ward I mentioned. . .one to alert you if people pass through the ward. This one is interesting because you can make the alert subtle or loud depending on how thick you make your threads of Air,” Tia explained. She paused just long enough to embrace the Source, “You will bring together threads of Water, Air and Fire. The challenge with this is to not overwhelm the weave with your threads of Water, which can be difficult if you have an affinity for it.

“For me, the hardest part when learning this was pulling in the thread of Fire. I had to be patient with it because Fire was a challenge for me.”

The Green Sister worked at bringing in threads of Water and Air as she continued to explain, “The thinner you make your thread of air, the more subtle the alert will be. Something really thin will alert only you, while something a bit thicker can alert those around you as well.” She finished forming the weave and let the dome settle over the two of them.

“Now if you stick your arm through the ward, you’ll hear a chime,” she said. “I want you to try and form this weave. Take your time and let’s see what you can do.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 22nd, 2018, 12:56 am

Amaranie
Amaranie's eyes watched the Aes Sedai's weave intently as it came together, not at all sure that she would be capable of doing the same. Since coming here, she had slowly learned how to embrace saidar whenever she wished it, and a few small, simple weaves, but the dome that she looked up at seemed far more complicated to the novice. She studied it carefully before beginning, afraid to make even the smallest mistake. Every instructor she'd had had spoken of how dangerous the One Power could be, and Amaranie feared what would happen if she made an error in the creation of this one. Tia Sedai was watching her still, and she knew she had to begin, regardless of how unsure she felt.

Amaranie reached for saidar, which came easily now, though it still made her uneasy, having been raised to believe that just touching the One Power was an act forbidden by the Light. The sunlight in the room suddenly seemed brighter to her, and as she often did, Amaranie found herself wondering how something that brought such joy could possibly be evil. The novice blinked as she forced herself to her task. She began with the Air threads, which rarely gave her trouble. Fluffy and white, they almost seemed to leap out at her, and it was not difficult to pull them and lay them out in the beginnings of the dome she'd been shown, though hers was barely large enough to include herself and Tia Sedai. Water was next, bright blue and shining, and not nearly as easy for Amaranie to hold. Numerous times the threads seemed to slip away from her grasp, and when she finally had what she thought was enough, there were still many more threads of Air than of Water, and the Air threads were much thicker. Amaranie frowned at her work, but decided it would be best to add the Fire anyways, as she wasn't sure she could repeat the work she'd done if she started over.

She hated Fire. It was by far the weakest element for her, and when she could manage to pull any, her threads often ended up being so thin that they didn't do anything. The Ward required it, however, so Amaranie tried again and again, often unable to hold on to any Fire at all, and sometimes letting go of whatever thin thread of it she'd managed. Finally, the novice pulled enough to be usable and settled it into place within the dome arching overhead. She looked up at it, noticing that she seemed to have used far more Air than Tia Sedai had, than nervously turned around and poked a finger through it. The resulting chime was loud enough to ring in Amaranie's ears, and made her jump before flinching away from the Ward.

Amaranie turned back to face Tia Sedai, not sure what she'd done counted as a success. The Ward worked, she'd just proven that, but she was quite certain that she was not supposed to have made it so loud. She thought the Air was the problem, judging by what her teacher had told her, but she wasn't very confident that she was correct. Her eyes found the floor again as she waited for Tia Sedai to scold her.

Roan

Post by Roan » January 26th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia watched as Amaranie worked at building the Ward. As expected, Air was no problem for the Novice. She didn’t really struggle with Water either, but Fire proved tricky. The Green Sister sat patiently and let Amaranie work as rushing a Novice was never a wise thing to do given they were still learning to control their abilities. Eventually, Amaranie pulled the various threads together and created the Ward.

Was it perfect? It worked, which was mostly what mattered. Given time, and practice, Amaranie would become a bit more deft at pulling the tendrils of each aspect of the weave together. The Green Sister offered a warm smile, “Well done. I know it took a few attempts to get each of the threads just right, but you managed. With practice, it will get easier.

“What we’ll work on next is how to build a ward to prevent people from overhearing private conversations. As with the last one, this weave will use Air, Fire and Water, though you’ll start with Air and Fire then pull in water. Be careful as Air and Fire can mix with volatile consequences if a person gets careless. Today, I’m here to intervene if anything looks as if it is about to go sideways,” Tia explained.

“If you plan on working outside of class, get an Accepted or Aes Sedai to accompany you to the channeling yards. As you know, you can’t channel unsupervised, but more importantly, they can aid you if you have questions, or if something goes wrong. Understand?” There was nothing stern in Tia’s tone or warning. She was aiming to be matter-of-fact about the dangers, though she suspected Amaranie knew well enough given how often she’d gotten warnings when she’d been a Novice.

Still holding onto the Source, Tia pulled together tendrils of Air and Fire. Once they were wrapped together, she then pulled in Water, barely hesitating, her warning resonating in her own mind, “See how I pulled the water in as soon as I could? You will want to try to do the same thing.” She then let the small ward fall over here and looked to Amaranie with a grin as she started clapping. Amaranie would see her clapping, but wouldn’t be able to hear it.

After a moment or two, she let the weave drop, “Effective, isn’t it? Now you try.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 28th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Amaranie
Amaranie's eyes grew wide as she watched Tia Sedai demonstrate the next weave she would be expected to duplicate. It was smaller than the first, but seemed more complicated to her, and she was not at all sure she would be able to pull Water fast enough to avoid danger. Still, when she saw Tia Sedai begin to clap and couldn't hear her, there was something about it that fascinated her. It seemed so useful, and Amaranie couldn't help wanting to try it for herself even if she was a little frightened. She looked nervously at her teacher as she began her own attempt.

She began with Air as she had for the first Ward, and as before, it gave her no trouble at all. It was simple to set the thick white threads in a ring around herself. There was something satisfying about pulling the threads and placing them, knowing that she would be using them to create something. It was not nearly as easy to add the Fire that had to come next, and Amaranie struggled to find just a few thin threads, darting anxious glances at Tia Sedai as she worked. It felt as though it took her forever to add enough Fire to her work, and the way the threads of it seemed to spark scared her as she gave up on adding any more and moved on to the Water, hoping that what she had would be enough.

Amaranie was worried about not adding Water quickly, and at first, her frantic attempts to obtain it made the turquoise threads of it seem to slip out of her grasp, all while the Fire seemed to crackle around her. She looked at her teacher again, but Tia Sedai didn't do anything, so Amaranie kept trying until she'd calmed down enough to be able to hold on to the Water. Once she'd done that, the threads of Water came to her easily enough, and as she wove them into the ring of Air and Fire she'd made, the threads of fire seemed to be sparking less, and the Ward fell into place around her. She clapped her hands together twice, then looked at her teacher again, with no idea how to tell whether or not the Aes Sedai could hear her.

Roan

Post by Roan » February 5th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Tia Sedai
Tia grinned and nodded, giving Amaranie the signal to let her ward fall away. She felt the Novice release her hold on the Source, and once satisfied the Ward was gone, spoke, “Well done. I know from within the Ward, it is hard to tell if it works, but I assure you I could not hear you clap. It will take some practice to master it, but that is why you are here . . .to learn and practice.

“Now, just as we have Wards to keep people from overhearing us, there are Wards to keep people from seeing objects. The Barrier against Sight is often used to hide objects from others. I know many Accepted and Dedicated use it to conceal their journals, and I would not be surprised if some Novices and Soldiers also do it despite the ban on using the One Source without supervision,” Tia explained.

“This one uses Air, Fire and Spirit all in equal measure.” Tia looked to the ‘teacher’s desk’ and nodded, “There are two stacks of books. Watch what happens as I do this.” She exagerated her movements as she pulled together Air, Fire and Spirit, letting the Novice see the mechanics of the weave before she let it drop over the left stack of books. After a second or two, the books seemed to vanish.

Looking back to Amaranie, Tia gave an encouraging smile, “Now I want you to try. Do not be discouraged if it is difficult. I know Fire can be a challenge for me, and it took me several attempts to get this thread to work for me when I was a Novice.”

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik