Fancy Meeting You Here [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Fancy Meeting You Here [Attn: Liaran Sedai]

Post by Bella » January 10th, 2018, 11:21 pm

As she began to relax, so did he. Not that he'd been quite as tense as she was, or as he had been when he first saw her walk in, but tension and stress were a tandem sliding scale. There was more tension to lose, and he felt it start to lessen as she talked and it felt like she was losing some of her tension as well.

"Never," he said with a small smile. "I've been in..." He considered. "I suppose I've been in what we could call boats. Small fishing craft with just two or three people that goes out on the lake or river, but a proper ship like I imagine you grew up on? No, have never set foot on one, let alone sailed anywhere. I'll admit I've oft thought about it, and I've wondered...

"But I've just never had cause to. Most of the traveling I've done has been on horses and through Gateways. I feel like I could live my whole life on a horse, though. My mother is Saldaean, so we were practically riding before we were walking."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » January 14th, 2018, 4:23 am

Liaran
Liaran couldn't stop herself from wrinkling her nose at the mention of horses. She'd lived at the Grey Tower now for far longer than she'd lived at sea, and the attraction to horses was one of quite a few things the Sea Folk woman didn't think she'd ever understand about the shorebound. Unlike many of her people, Liaran did not fear horses, but riding was far from being a fun activity for her.

She wondered to herself if it was easier to like it if you learned to ride a horse young, as Haeden had mentioned he had. She thought it probably was, not much different than her own ability to balance aboard the swaying deck of a ship regardless of how stormy the seas became, something shorebound passengers often could not do. Liaran nodded as she told him, "I don't care much for horses. Until I came here, I'd never seen a horse up close, and it was years before I attempted to ride one." It was a rather sad excuse for her difficulty with riding, something she suspected Haeden had probably already noticed. It wasn't exactly something she had been able to hide from him on that long ride home, and as long as he hadn't seen that it actually hurt her, Liaran did not really care.

"What do you like about riding?" she asked, and Liaran meant it as a completely serious question. For her, riding was frustrating, something she just couldn't seem to improve at no matter how much she tried, and she found it quite impossible to imagine how anyone could possibly enjoy it.

Bella

Post by Bella » January 20th, 2018, 3:11 am

Now, there was a strange question. Well, perhaps not strange so much as one no one had ever asked him. At least, not that he could recall. He smiled curiously and then his eyes lost focus slightly as he considered it. "To be honest, I'm not sure it's the actual riding that I enjoy," he said thoughtfully. Memories drifted through his mind. Happy ones, of his mother and father, he as a child.

"It's the horse," he went on. "Like people bond with animals, with pets like cats and dogs, working animals, or the falconers. I grew up around horses almost as if they were kin. I came to know that they each have a personality, and can be smart and loyal. They are willing to bear the burden of a person, even into battle.

"That is a gift, and I honor them for it. The riding is a means of connection. It is what they offer, and through that offering, you can almost become a part of their majesty. Strength, and swiftness..."

Trailing off, he suddenly smiled self-consciously and laughed. He rubbed the back of his neck as he looked at the table top in front of him for a few moments. "I didn't really mean to go off like some poet," he said, voice a little lower. "I'm certainly very far from a poet. I probably shouldn't attempt to be one."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 21st, 2018, 10:32 pm

Liaran
"No, it's fine," Liaran told Haeden, who appeared to her to be embarrassed by how long he'd been talking. "I can tell you really care for them, and there's nothing wrong with that." Still, it wasn't something the Sea Folk woman could relate to. She smiled, attempting to put him at ease, and thought about what to say in response. Her people didn't keep animals of any sort, and the concept was one of the many things she'd had to learn when she'd first come here. She hadn't really understood it until Shadow had shown up and become far more attached to her than Liaran had ever expected.

"It sounds as if you grew up around more animals than just horses," she said, a little hesitant, not quite sure if she was correct. "We don't keep animals on the ships, so I was never around any other than birds, or, well.....rats." Liaran did not consider the last to be much more than pests that inevitably infested every ship and had to be dealt with. "I never understood why anyone would keep one until I found my dog a couple of years ago, and she decided she was staying with me instead of going back to living outside like I thought she would." Another bright smile crossed her face as Liaran recalled how irritated she'd been the first time she'd found Shadow sleeping on her bed, and how quickly she'd grown to like having the animal around. "I suppose I think of dogs, or at least, mine, much like you do about horses."

Bella

Post by Bella » January 25th, 2018, 3:30 am

Haeden liked her smile.

It wasn't something that he had seen much during their small number of times together, however dramatic at least one of those times had been. At first, it had been polite smiles. And then it hadn't been any at all. This one was genuine, and it was nice. He caught himself staring, fairly quickly but it had happened, and blinked a few times.

"I can imagine it is much the same," he agreed, relieved that despite his lapse, he had heard what she said. He was pretty sure he had, at least. "We didn't have a lot of dogs while I was growing up. I kind of had a--" He caught himself for a moment and then laughed self-consciously again.

He rubbed the back of his neck with a half-smile. "I sort of had a pet deer for a while."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 26th, 2018, 1:39 am

Liaran
Liaran wasn't quite sure she'd heard Haeden correctly. A deer? Why would anyone keep a deer, and how? They were wild animals, after all, and she couldn't imagine one being a pet like Shadow. The thought of it confused the Aes Sedai, making her sit and think on it for a short time without saying anything. She looked at Haeden, blinking a couple of times before finally giving up and asking about it.

"You had a deer?" she said. "How did you get a deer for a pet.....and why would you want one?" Liaran wondered whether or not her questions sounded stupid, though she supposed it was too late to be concerned about it now. She looked away from Haeden, feeling like a fool.

Bella

Post by Bella » January 28th, 2018, 7:12 pm

"That's where the 'sort of' part comes in," Haeden said with a chuckle.

He settled himself back at his seat, resting his arms across the edge and leaning forward slightly as he sifted back through the memories. "It was during my survival test," he began, "back when I was a Drin, being test to become a Ji. I was sixteen and had to survive a week out there. I found an injured baby next to its dead mother, and I couldn't... You know, I just couldn't leave him there. So, I took him with me. Splinted his broken leg.

"He came back to the Tower with me." His gaze drifted to the tabletop with a faint, but fond, smile. "I named him Amery. I didn't really keep him as a pet, because he wasn't for that, but he grew up in the gardens here. I would go to the gardens and he would come to me. I like to think he remembered me."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 28th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Liaran
Liaran nodded. "I'm sure he did." she told Haeden. "I think animals can identify people who have helped them. I know Shadow did, when I brought her home. I kind of...acquired...her from her former owner who'd been kicking her, and I didn't know what to do with a dog, so I brought her to the Yellows. I thought they'd take care of her and then she'd leave." Liaran shook her head, smiling to herself, remembering that that was not what the dog had done.

"A few days later, I looked behind me, and there she was. I tried to shoo her away at first, when she followed me into classes, and into the kitchens, but she wouldn't leave me alone. One day, she ran past me, jumped on my bed, and went to sleep there. I was not happy but I couldn't stand to wake her up, so I let her be. Eventually, she stopped following me everywhere." She stopped there, realizing she'd gone on longer than she'd meant to, looking at Haeden with an apologetic glance.

"I know she recognized me," she explained, "so it's not hard to to think your deer could do the same."

Bella

Post by Bella » January 31st, 2018, 9:56 pm

"Thank you for that," he said with a soft half-smile. What exactly he was thanking her for was nothing something he elaborated on, but he appreciated that she did not seem to...judge him or think less of him, for the Gaidin who waxed poetic about horses and befriended orphaned fawns. It was a contradicting image, but she seemed to accept it.

She seemed almost as apologetic for going on about her dog as he did about going on about horses and deer. It was amazing the two of them were managing any sort of conversation now, when they both insisted on being sorry for speaking.

"A few of my compatriots in the warder yards have found themselves allied similarly," he went on. "Natlya has a cat. I believe she's named him Cat Ji'val. And another has a dog, also cleverly called Dog Gaidin." Haeden chuckled. "Of course, the cat does as the cat wants, and the dog is just as much the yard's as the Gaidin he rooms with." He paused. "I would enjoy meeting Shadow sometime, if you would permit."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 2nd, 2018, 1:40 am

Liaran
Liaran listened while Haeden talked about some of the other Tower animals. She'd seen other dogs out at times, though she'd never been sure if they belonged to anyone. "I hope Natlya Gaidin doesn't let her cat outside," she commented. "Shadow insists on chasing them every time she spots one!" Liaran shook her head, remembering how frustrating that could be. She'd tried to get the dog to stop, but Shadow could outrun her easily and Liaran had been forced to give up that idea.

It surprised her that Haeden wanted to meet her dog, but it was a pleasant surprise that brought another smile to her face. "Of course you can," she told him. "She'll probably like you, she likes most people." Liaran wasn't quite sure Haeden knew what he was asking. There were times she'd had to nearly drag the dog away from someone she was pestering for attention. "You may even have seen her before," she added. "She's outside a lot."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik