A Matter of Commitment [fic]

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Elan
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Jaren Marle, Asha'man
SC: Mael Akashi, Asha'man
TC: Delaine Taborwin, Novice
QC: Valentin Akashi, Soldier

A Matter of Commitment [fic]

Post by Elan » November 3rd, 2017, 8:48 pm

Jaren Marle, Asha'man of the Yellow Ajah
Today had been his first full day working in the infirmary as an Asha’man of the Yellow Ajah. The Ajah had been very welcoming, Maever especially so, and Jaren felt slightly overwhelmed by the reception, though he supposed he shouldn’t have been surprised. He’d known what Maever was like, after all. Not that Jaren minded any of that. He wouldn’t go as far as to say that the Ajah felt like family already — he was never going to love the entire Ajah, nor they him, and that was fine — but he’d walk through fire for Maever Donovan and could play nice and ignore a bit of snobbish commentary for his sake.

He was back in his room in the Yellow Ajah quarters — Jaryd was working late tonight and Jaren didn’t want to distract him — when the knock on the door brought him out of his reverie. He couldn’t think of many people who would call on him here, unless maybe one of his new Yellow brothers and sisters was trying to reach out, but it was not as though he had anything better to do so he went to open the door.

Instead of a member of the Yellow Ajah, he was faced with a rather more welcome sight. He’d not seen Johan since his raising — it had only been a few days, and Johan had been on a mission out of the Tower with an unbonded Asha’man of the Blue Ajah — and he’d been wanting to talk to the Gaidin.

“Evening,” he greeted his friend with a bright smile. “Come on in!”

Johan looked around in the small sitting room, poked his head into the even smaller bedroom, and let out a low whistle. “I think even my room in the barracks looks more lived in.” He flopped down in one of the chairs and placed a bottle of wine on the table. “Anyway, congratulations on the Dragon pin.” He flashed a quick grin. “That’s what I really came to say, not criticise your living conditions.”

Laughing, Jaren sat down as well. “Thank you,” he said warmly. Then he gave a slightly sheepish smile. “And, well. I’ve not really been spending a lot of time here. And… I don’t expect I will.” The possibility of moving in with Jaryd had not been broached yet, but he felt almost certain it would be sooner rather than later, and… Well, time would tell.

The look Johan gave him was almost fondly amused. “I take it you’re, um, happy?”

“Yes,” Jaren replied, emphatically and without hesitation. He didn’t imagine things would always be perfect — he was only human, and so was Jaryd, and humans made mistakes — but he had full confidence that whatever difficulties they might encounter, could be overcome. “I’m very…” He trailed off as his gaze fell on the wine bottle, noticing it properly for the first time. Come to think of it, a bottle of wine was a peculiar thing for Johan to bring; Johan didn’t drink, and certainly didn’t know much about wines. And looking at the label… “Huh.”

“What? Oh,” Johan said, “Tristram chose the wine. I hope it’s okay.”

While Johan might not know much about wines, Tristram certainly would have known enough that the choice could only be deliberate. Leaning back in his chair, Jaren burst into helpless laughter. It took him a while to gather himself enough to speak — and Johan’s confused look didn’t help — but finally he managed to explain, “It’s Altaran. An… Altaran red.” He wiped at his eyes, barely resisting another fit of uncontrollable laughter. “So… does this mean he approves?”

Johan shrugged. “It’s Tristram. Who knows.”

Jaren wanted to think it might; either way, he let it be. The only one who really knew what Tristram was thinking, was Tristram himself. And it wasn’t Tristram he wanted to talk to Johan about, anyway; there was something else, something that was relevant again now that he was Asha’man and… He drew a deep breath and opened his mouth to speak, but Johan was faster.

“Anyway, then there’s the other thing,” the younger man said, the words coming out in a rush as though he was nervous. As nervous as Jaren himself suddenly was.

Jaren blinked. “The… other thing?”

Even Johan’s grin seemed a little nervous. “Yes. I think the channeller is usually supposed to be the one to ask, but, if I don’t do this I may chicken out and—”

“…Oh.”

“—And you can have a Warder now that you’ve got your Dragon pin,” the younger man went on, nearly stumbling over the words. “So. Are you going to ask me or did I just make an utter fool of myself?” Then a panicked expression crossed his face. “Wait. Light. You’re not bonded to Jaryd, are you? I didn’t mean to— to presume—”

“Oh, no, not at all!” Jaren finally managed to say something again. “I’m not… and we’re not going to.” There were reasons for that, reasons Jaren didn’t feel comfortable discussing with someone else… and so, to avoid having to elaborate, he got out of his chair—

—and dropped to one knee before Johan. “Johan Albaer,” he said, grinning up at the Gaidin staring wide-eyed back at him. “Will you be my Warder?” It was silly while the moment was probably meant to be serious, but Jaren had no idea how you were supposed to ask someone to bind their life to yours; and when in doubt? Resort to humour. And besides, Johan had told him to kneel the next time. The fact that he’d been very obviously joking was completely irrelevant.

He could see Johan remembered that conversation as well. Hells, he probably remembered it better than Jaren, all things considered. He stood up and took Jaren’s hands, pulling him to his feet. “Light, get up before I start looking for a ring!” But he was smiling almost as brightly as Jaren himself. “Yes,” he said. “Yes, of course. I… I want to be your Warder.”

Jaren wanted to laugh again, this time from sheer joy, but he didn’t; instead, he seized saidin and raised his hands to touch Johan’s temples. “May I?” he murmured, and waited for the answering nod before channelling the thin, delicate web of Spirit that formed the Warder bond…

…And then he could feel a presence at the back of his head. Johan. Light, that’s really Johan. There was apprehension, anxiety — sentiments which Jaren shared — but there was also such warmth and fierce loyalty that it took Jaren’s breath away… and most importantly, there was no regret. Oh, he’d never doubted that his friends cared about him, but having such very real undeniable proof was… different.

To his utter mortification, he realised his vision was blurring with tears.

“Shit, sorry, I’m an embarrassment,” he muttered… but he couldn’t stop grinning like an idiot, and after an initial spike of alarm at the tears, Johan was grinning too. And, for a wonder, then the Gaidin stepped forward and hugged Jaren; just a quick squeeze, but the feeling behind it was real and genuine.

“I don’t think you’re an embarrassment,” Johan said as he withdrew again. “Though…” he added, “I’ve got one condition.” He flashed a quick grin, but the bond was suddenly prickly with… something Jaren could only describe as awkwardness?

Jaren tilted his head, curious, mildly apprehensive. “Do tell?”

Again Johan spoke very quickly, almost stumbling over the words. “You block the bond, or whatever that’s called, when you’re… uh, enjoying your Altaran Red. I do not want to be aware of… that.”

“Oh.” Jaren blinked, colour rushing to his cheeks. “Oh. Light… Absolutely!” That wasn’t something he’d even thought about! The bond was going to take some getting used to, perhaps more than he could imagine yet, but he had no doubt that they would figure it out.
Spoiler: show
Yes, I've been writing Johan as Jaren's Warder for a while already but... better late than never, right? :rofl:

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik