Brush the Cobwebs out of the Sky. (Attn: Matty)

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: Brush the Cobwebs out of the Sky. (Attn: Matty)

Post by Craig » August 27th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Elia
"No handshake," Elia replied. There was a slight frost in her tone now. Maybe Murdock hadn't listened to her, but she'd chosen her words carefully. Murdock's words - at least in this form - did not come close to being cast-iron. Or iron-clad. Craig may have got the two nouns mixed up.

She sat back down on the bed. No point standing when she didn't have to. Elia smoothed her skirts as she resumed talking neutrally. "Your word is not good enough, Murdock. I want a guarantee, not a promise. If you were Oathsworn, I would hand you the Oath Rod and make you swear never to betray me. Unfortunately, I think people may ask questions when your youthful look transmogrified into an ageless one, no? Or you can set a precedent by being the first Asha'man to reswear the Oaths." Murdock's face made it plain that he wasn't considering that route if that was even an opportunity available to him.

"No? Well then, there's only one other way to guarantee your..." Elia's mind flickered between 'obedience' and 'loyalty'. Murdock had never been either. She squinted as different words came forth. "To guarantee my end of the bargain."

Slowly, purposefully, she tapped her left temple.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Post by Matty » August 28th, 2017, 3:43 pm

"Oh for the love of..." Murdock bit back an oath that threatened to make itself known, but his utter exasperation was already on display for Elia to see. He went from his relatively relaxed position on his chair to sitting up like a cat that had just landed in water, and where Elia was smirking he was definitely not smiling any more. Alright maybe she wasn't smirking, but Murdock could see that look on her face as she sat and planned this whole thing. Make sure they were in neutral territory, appeal to his family values, get him when he was Healing and supposedly at his best. Or something.

"Just when I thought you couldn't sink any lower, you went and exceeded my expectations. Trying to win me over using the "Missing daughters" card? I didn't think you would be so callous or.. or ridiculous." Murdock shook his head, "why would I ever agree to that absurd arrangement? If my word isn't enough then yours shouldn't be either. There's nothing to stop you from changing your mind at any point, whereas I would be stuck with your twisted weaves. And more importantly, you could decide not to help me with my daughters after all! I bet you weren't even going to help me, were you?" The Far Maddinger chose this moment to stand, snatching up his cane.

"Murdock-" the Indigo began.

"Be quiet," the Brown snapped. "I've tolerated more than enough of your idiocy in the past and I am done with it now. You crossed the line when you brought up my daughters in such a trivial and insulting way." He gestured to the door, "now get out of here before I make you need Healing all over again." Truthfully the man was not strong in the Power, and injuring a woman in a semi-public place like this would only raise more questions than he could answer, but right then? He was tempted to make Elia's arms a matching set.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 28th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Elia
"Murdock-"

"Be quiet," the Brown snapped. It felt like the slamming of a door in her face. Elia had come to him with honest, earnest intentions and... And she sighed slowly, silently, feeling the air expel from her lungs just as hope left her heart.

Despite his dismissal (and threat), Elia remained seated until she caught his eye again. If only he could see that she wasn't being deceitful then there was a chance. Unfortunately he didn't give her the opportunity. He just waited by the door, practically tapping his cane in outrage and impatience.

She rose from her seat and walked towards the door. At the point where she could reach for the handle, the Indigo instead planted herself in front of Murdock. He'd just have to make good on his threat if he wanted rid of her.

"I'm not playing any cards," Elia spat, jabbing at his chest with a finger. She left it there, nail digging into his shirt, pressing against his chest. "I want to help you. I want to help us both. Why are you such a stubbornly blind idiot?" Finally she let her hand drop; she'd gotten him to look at her, although there was no warmth in the Far Maddinger's gaze. "Use your head as you consider what I'm about to say. I'm in charge of the Black Ajah. If I wanted, I could have cut you to ribbons a thousand times using my agents. I could have thrown wave after wave of channellers to come shield you until I got you captive and made you my pawn. I'm certain you'd have some counterstroke, but if I honestly wanted you, I would have had you by now."

She stepped back into the room, anger setting her into a fit of pacing. "This whole thing between us started because I made a mistake one mistake - when I was much younger and much less skilled. We were practically both children, showing one another our private bits in titillation, but we're adults now. We've grown. I've grown. And I've grown to understand that there things more important than this." She waved her good arm at everything, encompassing the whole Tower in her gesture.

Red-faced, Elia turned back to Murdock. She drew herself up, but she couldn't will the ice back into her tone. She felt deflated even as she puffed herself up. "Murdock, I'm trying to make amends. I'm tired of fighting you; I'm tired of fighting everyone. But if you don't accept this offer, then that's it, I'm through. Through trying to make things right, and through accepting how you treat me."

She walked back to stand beside the door, eyeing him the entire distance. Her bad hand rested on the handle. "Now do you still want me to leave, or do we have something to discuss?"
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » August 30th, 2017, 7:23 am

Elia always did have an ego, enough to act indignant at Murdock's behaviour despite the fact that he was the one who had been wronged! He did listen to her, stony faced all the while, though he wanted to rub his chest where she'd prodded him. There was always something attractive about a spirited woman, though Murdock didn't really count Elia in that... still, it was nice to see from time to time. It reminded him of home.

"You have the strangest way of trying to correct things, if that's your true intention," Murdock said grumpily. "Trying to make up for something by using even more Compulsion on me? There's nothing adult about that." But Murdock could see there was more than posturing and preening to the woman's words, a little less coating in her own glory than usual. Less composed. And she did have a point, though maybe it was a threat, when she said she could have him killed. Not a good idea, Murdock did have his contingency plans in place for when he died, but he wasn't about to share that with Elia.

"Again, this goes both ways. If you are so done with how terrible a person I am, I won't tolerate the same from you, and I don't care who you are. If we both die, I have much less to lose." The Far Maddinger went to sit back down again, his own agitation passing when Elia had started pacing as if he was intentionally working on a set of scales with her, cooling down where she grew passionate. "The only way this discussion continues is if we leave out Compulsion. You want to be an adult and make things right, quote unquote? Then deal with it in person, not with the Power. If your intentions are as altruistic as you claim them to be, then being able to Compulse me shouldn't be a deal breaker in helping me find my daughters."

Truthfully Murdock didn't anticipate that she would actually help him any more. She'd made herself clear, once again, that she was just in this for her own advantage, another attempt to get Murdock under her thumb. It had to gall her to no end that she had this one link that didn't work as she wanted it to. Her own Aes Sedai connections, her dumb-as-rocks brother, she had a lot of resources to draw upon already. But there was always something nice about a complete set, Murdock supposed. Whatever, she could stomp off in a sulk at not getting her way or she could sit down again, Murdock didn't expect much in the way of results either way. No matter whether Elia claimed to help or not he was going to continue to be alone, and without his daughters for some time.

It was hard to keep himself looking dour when this knowledge came back to remind him of his isolation, and Murdock drooped a little in his chair, looking more tired than annoyed (though he was also looking somewhat annoyed, but that wasn't an unusual expression to be seen on his face).

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 6th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Elia
No Compulsion. That was the deal breaker or maker. A deal maker for the Far Maddinger who wanted nothing more to do with Elia's mental manipulations, but that's what she had been sure was required to make it work. Without his agreement, nothing but the strongest Compulsion would ensure his obedience, and that would make the Keeper of the Archives a bumbling idiot. Some Browns were bumbling idiots, but not Murdock. Burn my luck. She alternated between gripping the door handle and pressing her palm into it as she thought. That brought on sharp cramps and spasms, but she endured it. The pain helped her to focus. Least she thought it did.

At last, with a tone that clearly declared she was less than pleased, Elia declared: "Fine. No Compulsion; no Oath Rod." She may have sworn an Oath to ensure their compact, but it seemed like regular words had to suffice. "But I swear..." That oath - no capital O - died on her tongue, because they weren't enemies any more. We're... Well not friends, and not quite allies. And not master and servant. If Murdock could have been a bit more like Emmond, maybe the man would be tolerable. Peace, why did this have to be a better solution than just murdering the man?

Elia let go of the handle. She moved back into the room a couple of feet, stepping into Murdock's field of view. With a sense of decorum she didn't believe was summonable during this pow-wow, she smoothed her dress and stood - not loomed - before him. "What do you already know about your daughters' disappearance?" It was too easy to rile the man by taking a tone, so she just asked levelly. "And what did you learn from our compatriots?" There were a few unaccounted for deaths and disappearances - including Emmond's - and unquestionably Mr. Dispose-of-the-Body had done just that to some of them personally.
Image Image Image Image

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 11th, 2017, 11:39 am

Elia agreed to no Compulsion as if she had sucked a lemon, but she had agreed to it and that was enough to please Murdock greatly. It was almost as if she'd listened to what Murdock was saying and acted upon it! Wonders would never cease. The Far Maddinger gave just a nod to show he'd heard, meeting her eyes as the beginnings of a threat fell from her tongue, landing into an empty chasm of incompetence. She must know by now that threats make little difference. Maybe she was simply so used to throwing them around that she did it without discrimination. <p>

The woman went on to ask what Murdock knew, which was reasonable enough, and delivered in such a way that the Brown responded appropriately to it. He folded his arms loosely, looking upwards yet inwards as he recalled his experience. "It was a letter from one of their guardians in Far Madding. They simply disappeared in the middle of the night. In Far Madding, where channellers cannot typically channel. All four girls were able to learn to channel should they so choose, and arrangements were being made for them to attend the White Tower for such learning." Elia gave him a look; his return shrug was a placid one. "I believe that in some way they blame me for Giselle's death at the Black Tower. Furthermore, the White Tower hasn't been attacked by the Seanchan recently. They made their choice and I respect it.

"I know not where they went, and my eyes and ears in Far Madding have proven to be either useless, or conspiring to keep their whereabouts from me. This much I was able to tell; Odette was quite forthcoming about the contacts in the south and the level of their reporting." Murdock made a face. "But at the same time, when people like us," people who had taken the Oaths, "know we are about to die, perhaps then we really can share whatever we want without repercussions. Apart from the whole being dead thing." Murdock sighed, "people claimed to want to be able to help me. They caught some of these eyes and ears and brought them to a neutral location but after my questioning, it sounds like they have forgotten any information relating to the event at all. A suspicious lack of knowledge about reports they don't even remember sending, despite me showing them."

The Brown made a disgusted noise, "someone took my daughters. And someone in the Black Ajah knows. My efforts to find them extended to the possibility of entering the Tower of Ghenji... a child's desperate notion, but one I have been explicitly forbidden from attempting by powers unknown."

Murdock mentioned a few other Aes Sedai and Asha'man that he had, er, spoken to... some of them were part of the Black Ajah business where he had been asked to "take care" of their bodies, sometimes before they were even killed. Others were those Murdock thought were hiding something, and removing them from the scene might unearth something new. So far there had been frustratingly little to go on. "I have even petitioned the White Tower, but there was no reply. I don't think they see fit to assist a man of the Grey." He sounded tired... because he was. Tired of being alone, searching, never finding, even when the return of his daughters was far more likely than that of Giselle. "Emmond knew nothing as well. He made lofty promises about returning Giselle to me, you know. A virgin, a trip to Shayol Ghul, a powerful channeller, apparently there is a way to beseech to the Great Lord himself with these things. But he was as useless at fulfilling these promises as he was as a Warder."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 15th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Elia
The Tower of Ghenji? Elia didn't know where that was, or the information conveniently evaded her at the moment, but the implication that someone else kept Murdock from doing as he pleased was a concern. Her milky white face betrayed little of those worries. Lines of anger were the clearest expression present. "Don't speak ill of the dead," the Indigo hissed quietly. "He was a fine Warder. Fine for what he needed to be." She faced away from the Far Maddinger, forcing her rage to cool. That she hadn't needed to suffer Emmond's loss like an Aes Sedai should have was a blessing, but he had still been her Warder. That was something one did not forget. She sighed, letting the emotions bleed out. "But he was a liar. I know nothing about bringing back the dead, nor even if such a thing is actually possible for any bar the Dark One."

"As for the rest, if someone here knows anything about your plight, I can find out," she stated without boast. "I am still the Head of my Ajah. Any actions against you can and will be revealed." After all, it was policy that those within the named positions of power were to be left alone. That broad stroke handily covered both herself as the First Seeker and her brother as he gallivanted from role to role. It also protected Murdock, as well as the other within the Tower's highest echelons. If this was being perpetrated by her Black Ajah, it would be quelled.

Elia was considerably impressed that Murdock had gone to the White Tower's Darkfriends. Just being a man on that island was a risk in and of itself. The notion of going to Tar Valon herself and petitioning her fellow sisters didn't even bear discussion. Murdock may be looking for people but Elia was trying to hide from one. One that very likely was a part of another Black Ajah. And I'd wager it is a woman. Women were the craftier gender after all.

"It is a shame that Compulsion is forbidden, otherwise I'd have a list of suspects on my desk." She caught a darkness in the Keeper's eye. With a smile she continued, "I just mean that as an Indigo, I track everyone's talents. Knowing who is and who isn't able to adjust memories would be handy. I can't see another reason why your contacts would have just forgotten. Interesting that they haven't just killed them though." She tilted her head, considering. "Clearly they want you to know. But you haven't been approached? No-one has asked you for anything by way of exchange?"
Image Image Image Image

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » September 19th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Fine for what he needed to be? All Elia needed him for was between his legs, that was the sort of woman she was. Hmph. Murdock let her delude herself into thinking Emmond was more than a has-been that they had taken down together. If she was so precious about the dead, then she was in the wrong profession. Motherhood had clearly made her soft. One could be a parent and still do what needed to be done, she would work it out if she ever regained her wits.

Of course he had been a terrible Warder for Murdock as well, but so far Elia didn't seem to have caught onto that. There was no need to point it out to her when she might actually do what he wanted now. Maybe afterwards.

"Do whatever you can," he said, not as an instruction, more of a request despite his words. He didn't expect a great deal. "You know, you're more than welcome to use Compulsion on other people, just not me. Compulse half of Hama Valon if you want, just don't bring my name into it if you get caught." The Far Madding man had come to a similar conclusion to Elia regarding their memories, not to mention that they hadn't been killed. "It is most frustrating. Nobody's approached me, or sent me anything in writing. I would give anything, and they must be aware of that. Perhaps what they want from me isn't something I can actually give. Or perhaps this is some chaotic happenstance with no real rhyme or reason behind it. Another unfortunate death or four in the Mather family." His tone was supposed to be wry, but it just came out disappointed.

"I just need to know so I can move on, one way or another." Murdock gave Elia a small smile, "so thank you for your assistance." It wasn't easy to thank someone who was probably doing this for some ulterior motive, but at this point he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. If it tried to bite he'd make the teeth fall out, but he could well find treasure inside. "I have some notes in my room, they might be a useful starting point. I can't say there's a great deal but I do list the names of everyone I've spoken to, and every guard questioned. I do wonder why they remain alive. I suppose it's less suspicious if they aren't killed entirely, and the only thing they have forgotten relates to my daughters. This seems personal."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 23rd, 2017, 11:17 pm

Elia
Elia's lips quirked in displeasure at the mention of dead children. If anyone ought to die it should have been Murdock himself, yet maybe everything he did was explainable thanks to this set of circumstances. A better reason than myself if that is the case. She put on a face of shared sorrow, although it was up to the whims of fate whether Murdock thought it genuine or not.

"I will come by another time," she said quietly. She pinched the bridge of her nose in order to evade the Brown's eyes. No doubt being judgemental saying I just said no. "As you said earlier, I require proper rest." No need to go into the explanation as to why. That was certainly a poor idea, mentioning her own children when Murdock's were missing or worse. "Perhaps after the next meeting of the Hall, unless the M'Hael keeps you back for something?" What happened to Murdock prior to and after the Hall of the Sitters had never been of interest until now. She could extrapolate from what the Amyrlin and her brother did, but Murdock could find a way to escape regardless of the situation.
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik