Knives Out (Attn: Bella)

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Knives Out (Attn: Bella)

Post by Craig » August 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm

<< A Wolf at the Door. (It Girl. Rag Doll.)
[font=Yellowtail name=Yellowtail]I want you to know / She's not coming back
Look into my eyes / I'm not coming back[/font]
Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
Ravak awoke, transitioning sharply from his dreams into the waking world. Opening his eyes, he found the bedroom still engulfed in darkness. Still early then. The Shienaran didn't close his eyes immediately. He moved fractionally, enough to return sensation to his limbs. He had one arm resting over Mia, his hand resting on the side of her stomach. A slight smile crept upon his face as he closed his eyes, hopeful to return to his dream and sleep a couple of hours more.

When he became aware of light shining on the other side of his shut eyelids, Ravak mumbled softly. He still had one arm looped around his wife, his hand still poised over where his future son or daughter was growing. He worried for his third child's future, just as he worried about Kaira and Zarayne's. Rav was only far too aware of how dangerous the world was. This time, he would do his best to protect them from the realities of life for as long as possible. If he could, this child wouldn't endure the same cruelty through their childhood that Mirin had bequeathed onto Kaira.

Removing the hand placed on Mia, Rav rolled onto his back and rubbed at his eyes. Whilst her bed was the only place he wanted to be, the day did not wait for the Master of Arms before it started. He slid out of bed, regret hitting him the instant cold air brushed against his skin, and plodded off to get cleaned up and dressed.

By mid-morning, Ravak had seen to welcoming three different nobles from three different nations to the Grey Tower, signed off on a new set of polearms to be made for the Citadel, and agreed to meet with someone from the Yellow Ajah about a yet-unnamed Gaidin. The context was that someone was pressing their luck when it came to their injuries, and Ferran evidently thought it important enough to move it from his docket onto Ravak's.

Rav decided to take a walk once the pile of paperwork on his desk had been reduced to a more manageable level. It aided in clearing his head from the stress and focus of his role, whilst also meant it helps to relax Mia as well. In looking after himself, he was looking after his Aes Sedai and wife, like any good husband and Warder should. Still, the puzzle about who had so notably grabbed the Yellow Ajah's attentions still remained.

His feet pulled him towards the Green Ajah, or perhaps it was his heart. Either way, Ravak made his way through the green-tiled corridors at a saunter, politely exchanging words with half-a-dozen different channellers on his way upstairs. When he got to the third floor, he escaped yet another impending conversation by ducking through the archway onto this level instead of continuing up. The blue eyes of Fiona Sedai did not seem to notice the Shienaran's hasty retreat.

Sauntering through the third floor, Rav came to a familiar door. He knocked lightly and waited with a grin. When half a minute passed without answer, he knocked again, firmly. Still there was no answer. Frowning yet accepting the situation, the Master of Arms moved onwards to the next staircase, then headed straight to Mia's office. He rapped his knuckles on the door, but didn't wait for permission before entering. He instinctively knew that Mia was alone.

After the door was shut, he crossed over to the other side of her desk, raised one of her hands so he could press his lips to the back of her hand, then took one of the chairs opposite her. He smiled. "I was wondering if the Captain-General could spare some time for lunch in an hour or so. I'm thinking somewhere near to a roaring fireplace to keep out the winter chill? Somewhere like... our rooms?"

Ravak waited for his wife's answer, knowing better than to presume her mood, no matter what the bond told him. He just smiled, knowing that regardless of her answer just now, he would get time with her before their fireplace before the end of the day. The cold may not touch either of them, but there was still no resisting the pleasure of an open flame.

"Is Vari Sedai out of the Tower?" Rav asked after Mia had responded to his offer of lunch. Varistan was one of the Greens he knew well, after travelling with her a couple of times previously. He was far from concerned, but he knew her well enough to know she seldom left her rooms before lunch. "I knocked on her door in passing, but she didn't answer."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Knives Out (Attn: Bella)

Post by Bella » August 8th, 2017, 2:48 am

Had it been his reluctance to get out of bed, or her own? It was so hard to tell these days. The blending of two people over one bond made such matters a little uncertain at times, and truth be told, she enjoyed that. Miahala was never to sort to lose herself to anything or anyone, but she enjoyed the sensation of never being...alone again.

There had been too much of that in her life, and even another day of it seemed almost frightening.

Of course, she was very not alone for several months more. The growth around her middle was already starting to show, although not especially pronounced and the baby was not yet moving. Somewhere inside, she had a sense of whether she was going to have another son or another daughter, but she dared not voice it yet.

Despite their reluctance, day came and they got out of bed. Each one went about their business. Her mood and the sense of him within her mind shifted with the usual transience of the human mind and heart, flowing in the background of her own consciousness. She wondered, more than once, how her life had devolved into...piles of paper.

Oh, right. She was pregnant, and considered "high risk" by the Yellows. What a silly thought, that a pregnancy of a woman over a hundred and fifty being risky... I'm pretty sure I've beaten Amora's record on that one, she thought with no small amount of amusement.

By midday, she felt the bond swell and knew Ravak was drawing near. Perhaps he was coming to rescue his wife from the papers and books and parchments that were threatening to outright consume her. Or maybe he was bringing her food... That would be good too. As could be expected, her appetite had increased.

Miahala looked up when he entered and returned his smile. "I think the Captain-General can indeed spare time," she said lightly, leaning back in her chair. "Our rooms do have such a lovely atmosphere for the midday meal."

"Is Vari Sedai out of the Tower?" As he asked the question and explained, she idly wondered what business he'd had with Vari this morning, but not out of any jealousy. Mia was not a jealous woman. She was a curious one, but she didn't ask. Instead, she considered the question and slowly shook her head.

"Not that I'm aware of," she replied. "My Greens do not always log travel plans with me, but so far as I was aware, she was still in the Tower as of a couple of days ago. I met her for tea and to discuss a few pieces of information coming out of the Borderlands. Nothing terribly amiss, but comparing notes and so forth. I haven't seen her since, but I've not heard of her departure."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 8th, 2017, 10:26 am

Ravak
Ravak shrugged, his non-verbal way of saying "fair enough". It's not like every action taken on Tower ground had to be logged, although there were times he wouldn't have minded that during his days as Master of Training. Well, just certain people.

Rav had nothing else to say on the subject of Vari Sedai, so he moved on to more pertinent topics, like how he was missing their honeymoon already and how wonderful it would be to find an excuse to get away again. Unfortunately for all of his bravado, there was little chance of escaping Hama Valon for anything other than business within the near future. He still had to help repair the wounds caused by his idiocy in the Hall.

"I should leave you be," he concluded after a short while. Rising, he touched one pile of paperwork with his dragon-emblazoned arm. "I've plenty of work of my own to be getting on with."

Something flickered across the bond. Regret? He did regret the world he lived in: a world of endless paperwork. But it wasn't his regret that he felt, but Mia's.

He paused with a slight frown on his face. He couldn't 'solve' the nature of her work anymore than he could his own. Rav considered making light of the scenario, but it didn't feel right. "I love you." That was all he could offer to sooth her displeasure.
* * * The journey from the Grey Tower back to the Master of Arms' office seemed almost pointless. By the time Ravak strode over the black and white mosaic in the Warder Yard foyer, it was already halfway between the hours. He forced his legs to take the stairs to the first floor and turned left at the top.

His office was as he left it, no surprise there. Sadly his workload had not been engulfed in an oh-so-tragic fire during his absence. He wondered if anyone had ever done that. May as well suggest that Snowflake ate my letters. That seemed just as likely. Ravak itched at his chin through his beard as he took position behind his desk once again. The rest of the hour passed quickly as the Master of Arms got lost in his work, iridescent quill flashing as he wrote out replies and responses to various people. He was painfully aware that the Citadel, directly or indirectly, made up one-half of this latest batch.

As the bells rang out across the Tower's grounds, Ravak was already striding back towards Mia. He stopped off at the kitchens, personally ensuring that there would be little to no delay on their meals being delivered. Then he ascended up the flights of stairs to his wife's office.

This time he could sense that she was busy. He stood opposite her office door, barely able to hear the muted voices on the other side. Ravak idly wondered how many secrets there were between them. Not because they were deceiving one another, but due to their different roles in the Tower. He had to keep Feroce and Ninya's confidences regardless of his own thoughts on the matter. What did Mia know from her eyes and ears that she couldn't share?

Lost in thought, Ravak barely noticed the Accepted that had appeared in front of him. "Ravak Gaidin?" He glanced towards her, noting the sealed letter she held in her hands. With a smile he took the missive from her grip.

"From Varistan Sedai," she explained. Rav turned the letter over to see Mia's name written on the front.

"She gave this to you to deliver?" he asked.

"No, sir," the Accepted explained. "It was in her study on her desk."

The Master of Arms' voice deepened. "And why were you in an Aes Sedai's study without her being present?"

The Accepted shook her head. "We had a lesson. She didn't answer when I knocked, so I tried the door. She wasn't inside, but I saw this letter and Miahala Sedai's name and..."

"And?" Ravak growled.

"And I thought I would ask Miahala Sedai if she knew where Varistan Sedai was. We had a lesson."

Ravak turned the letter over in his hand, trying to see if there was anything amiss. It didn't seem like anything special, and was unlikely to contain the answer to the question he'd posed Mia an hour ago.

"It looks as if you've been blessed with a free hour, Accepted," Ravak explained, his tone returning to normal. "I'll see this letter gets to Miahala Sedai." He didn't hear the Accepted's response but she vanished down the corridor. Instead Rav just looked at the letter and frowned. Something told him that his whole situation was off, somehow.

Mia's door opened. Rav flashed a brief, thin smile at the Asha'man who departed, then went straight inside. He offered the sealed letter to Mia, although her interest was all on his face. He flashed another wary smile. "Something's awry."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 10th, 2017, 2:16 am

Of course, she enjoyed the presence and distraction of her husband's visit...and as much as she enjoyed it was she loathe to dig back into all of her papers and missives. She could not turn away from it, however, any more than he could his own duties. When he paused at the door, she smiled back and said "I love you too" before he vanished.

She returned to work, one thing after the other. Eventually she had the novelty of a meeting with a person rather than a piece of paper.

"Anaris Kane," she said with no small amount of surprise in her voice. Receiving word of his return before seeing the man himself did not lesson her shock at his presence. Although there had been letters and reports from time to time, many in her Ajah thought that he had been lost to the Blight in the decades past.

"Miahala Sha'hal," the Asha'man replied with a faint, polite smile. "Although I hear now that is it Darrow."

"It is," she said, pushing herself up from the desk to walk around it and invite him to the green brocade sofa lining the wall. It felt less...formal than her behind the desk as she spoke with him. "It has been many years since you last graced these halls, but it's good to see you again."

Anaris Kane had joined the Grey Tower roughly around the same time Miahala had, and the two of them were raised in close proximity to one another into the same Ajah. They hadn't been the best of friends, but they had known each other. And in her tenures as Captain-General, she had been the recipient of his letters. His beard showed more traces of grey than her hair, showing his age as she did hers.

"It is good to see you again as well," Anaris said, inclining his head as he sat beside her on the couch. "It is good to be home, though. I fear it has been too long."

Miahala gave him a small smile. "And what has brought you home, after so long?"

He waved one hand in a slightly dismissive gesture, though she did not feel like it was at her. "Just that...time. It had been too long, and it was time."

"The Grey Tower is lucky to welcome back a Brother," she said easily.
* * * They spoke a while longer to catch one another up on what had happened in each of their respective areas--she to tell him about the Tower, and he to tell her about his work in the Borderlands. Obviously, that was not a place unknown to her, but he had been to areas she had not been.

"I fear I have plans for lunch," she said as she felt Ravak drawing closer. "We will speak again soon, though."

"We shall," Anaris agreed, bowing his head.

Mia sensed the shifting emotions over the bond as Ravak stood outside her door, but she focused on bidding Anaris farewell. He departed and Ravak entered, holding a letter for her. She eyed him slightly for the smile and the words, but didn't say anything as she took the letter and opened it.

It was from the very Aes Sedai mentioned earlier, and she wondered how he had ended up with it. The Master of Arms usually didn't serve as a messenger.

"This does not look like anything unusual," she said as she read the report on Kandor. Her eyes lifted to Ravak again, because she knew there was more to it than this. "What makes you say something is awry?" When he explained about the Accepted, she frowned. "That is unusual. She may not log her departures with me, but she would arrange coverage for lessons."

She tapped the folded paper lightly against her palm. "I have no desire to invade a Sister's privacy needlessly, but I do think we should check what we can. I'd like to start with speaking to the stable-hands to see if she took a horse, and to the channelers in the Traveling Yards lately to see if she departed there. If not, we should look to her rooms."

What did she knew of Varistan, she thought. She wondered who the other woman's friends were, or at least those would might know. One step at a time, though.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 14th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Ravak
Ravak scratched at his beard. Try as he might, there wasn't a more sensible suggestion on what to do than the one Mia had provided. Rav thought it was funny (in the peculiar fashion) how fervently the Grey Tower clung onto soldiers and Accepted, but once they had the shawl or the cord, they could just vanish whenever they pleased. Maybe he just didn't understand because he was on the wrong side of the Tower's grounds.

"Shall we divide and conquer?" Rav suggested. "I'll go to the Travelling Yards whilst you see to the stables, then we meet back at Vari's quarters?" Because if anyone was going to see horses, it ought to be the Saldaean. "Or maybe you should go to the Travelling Yards..." Because they were about a third of the distance from Mia's office compared to the stables, and Ravak wasn't the one having a baby.

There was a sharp edge to the Green sister's answering look. Few things got past Miahala Sedai; fewer still got past Miahala Darrow. "I shall speak with the stable-hands," she repeated neutrally. Inwardly the Master of Arms flinched. Having a band of Trollocs crashing down on you was a much simpler issue to resolve than dealing with a spouse's disapproval. Although you don't get to kiss and cuddle with the Trollocs afterwards...

Husband and wife parted without another word, one headed westwards towards the Travelling Yards whilst the other went east. Ravak busied himself with thoughts on how to win back Mia's affections, and arrived at the Travelling Yards without any satisfactory answers.

The two guards by the yard's entrance saluted at he approached. "Gaidin," they stated over formally.

"Manda, Tarin," Rav acknowledged in a irritated tone that was only partly Mia's fault, "You don't need to be so stiff, it's not like I don't recognise you." He'd worked with both of them as Master of Training, all a part of his network of Tower Guards that relayed the illegal comings and goings of learning ranks that ought not to venture into Hama Valon alone.

He didn't have the time nor present inclination to smooth over his annoyance. "I need to know if Varistan Uki of the Green Ajah departed within the last few days." He offered no explanation – he didn't need to – so he simply waited with a frown as Tarin consulted the records within the small office beside the yard's entrance. Manda's eyes flashed from spot to spot, clearly put out by Ravak's frustrations.

Tarin returned from the office. "She doesn't appear on the records within the last week, sir," he reported.

"Fantastic," Rav grumbled, "and thank you." He made the latter half sound at least a bit honest.

His anger subsided on the return journey to the Green Ajah Halls, thoughts returning once more to his wife. Ravak tried to reason with himself, making what seemed like logical arguments in his head. It wasn't my fault. I was just trying to make things easier for her. It's being pregnant that's making her cranky, not me. Not like I'm the one who sets our curtains on fire. The Gaidin rubbed at his nose. I wonder if the place still smells like ashes? Not like I would know.

When Rav clapped eyes on his wife, his disquiet ebbed away. If he'd been playing more attention to the bond than to his thoughts, maybe the Shienaran would have preempted what Miahala was about to tell him. A brief grimace flickered across his face. "Nothing from the Channelling Yards either, not from the last week. If Vari vanished, she left on foot."

The Master of Arms' attention drifted from Mia to Vari's door. He placed one hand around his longsword's hilt, reaching towards the door handle with the other. It didn't matter if an Accepted had walked in and out, Rav still wasn't taking chances with his wife and bondmate beside him. "With your permission, Captain-General?" he asked genuinely.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 15th, 2017, 11:18 pm

If Ravak had actually been paying attention to the bond, he would've realized that her irritation was transient. At least, any irritation she felt with him. (His concern for her being irritated usually managed to charm her back out of it.) She wasn't even that far along yet, so she could quite well walk to the stables. After all, that's where her lovely horses were and being around them was always suiting.

The trip had been about as fruitful for her as for him. Had she taken a horse? No, no stable-hand had aided her. Were any horses missing that were not accounted for in the records? No, all accounted for.

So now they stood before the door of a Green Sister, about ready to break in. In truth, the very fact that the Accepted could just walk in was disconcerting enough. No lock? No ward? None of this boded well, but Miahala carefully schooled herself. Look for facts. Do not jump to conclusions.

"After you, Master of Arms," Mia replied with a tinge of amusement to her expression, although very little in the gravity of the situation. She forcibly sought Saidar and managed to open herself to it, but that door was getting harder and harder to open...which was aggravating to no end, but she suppressed that and waited for him to enter ahead of her...

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 23rd, 2017, 10:17 pm

Ravak
The door was unlocked. Ravak already knew this, but it still was the first mental note he made. Aes Sedai never left their doors unlocked. Whether it was to keep out learning ranks with mischievous ideas, or to keep their peers from stealing their research, very few individuals had an open door policy. Those that did, well, their doors were literally left open, not merely unlocked.

Evidence noted, Ravak pushed the door the rest of the way open. It only occurred to him, as he took in the view from the doorway, that he'd never seen the inside of Vari's apartments before. He'd known her for two or three years, yet somehow he'd never found himself calling on the Kandori. Then again, before Mia, he made a note of avoiding the Green Ajah Halls. Too much risk of being snapped up by a frisky pair of hands. Didn't quite work out for you, now did it?

The room was a study-come-living space, much akin to how Elia used her main room. Beyond that, more was different than similar between Vari's rooms and the First Seeker's. Green was in evidence everywhere, from the upholstery to the curtains, to a painting that somehow depicted a green sea and a green sky without seeming wrong. Ravak pulled his eyes away from such details almost as soon as he catalogued it; Varistan's fashion taste weren't a factor in her disappearance.

Her desk was almost immediately by her door but the Gaidin avoided that for the moment. As was habit, he sniffed the air. As was not so habitual, the sniffer actually got a whiff of something useful. It was light, almost too faint to make out in any detail. Moving deeper into the room, Ravak continued to hunt by smell. The strength of the odour grew fractionally the deeper in he stepped. He reached for the doorknob towards Vari's bedroom before he caught himself. This room was a place for guests, but the bedroom was not. Ravak stepped away from the door, frowning at it thoughtfully.

"There may be something inside," he said noncommittally. Beyond the fact there was an odour, Rav couldn't say what it was from. He turned to speak to Mia directly. "I'm too Shienaran to intrude, but you..."

Bedroom off-limits, Ravak scanned for any other clues. Mia was sifting through the paperwork on Vari's desk, which made far more sense saying half of it would be in code no doubt. None of the furniture seems upturned or amiss, judging from the indents in the carpet. No scuff marks or odd stains or anything. Just like if she left her apartments one day and didn't return. Nothing and everything's wrong with that.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 31st, 2017, 11:00 pm

Once Ravak had entered and been all Gaidin-y and such, the Captain-General followed him in. She watched him for a few moments as he took in the scent of the air around him. She knew what he was doing, but rarely had chance to witness it. Her fascination with her husband kept her eyes on him for a few moments, before she decided to make herself useful.

While he did that, she moved to the desk and riffled through the papers found there. There would be some things that she couldn't read, since Vari would have had her own way of coding things, but some she would.

Nothing in her immediate viewing, however, seemed...out of place, or suggestive of something that would have made her disappear. A report here or there that may have taken her out of the Tower, but since the traveling yards and the stables had no evidence of her leaving, nothing "routine" was at work here.

"There may be something inside. I'm too Shienaran to intrude, but you..."

Mia lifted her eyes and another brief moment of amusement, dry though it was, passed through her. "But I'm rude enough to do so?" she said, teasing lacing around her words. She looked back at the papers and put them back in place, leaving the desk to go to the bedroom door.

Opening it, while stifling a bit of worry over what would be found within, she looked inside. She stayed in the doorway for a moment at first, but saw nothing immediately. She channeled a ball of light, with some effort, and looked around. Still, nothing. Things looked generally in order, although there was...something.

The Green stopped at the foot of the bed and saw that it was slightly askew. Was this Green the type to keep it made when she wasn't here? Bed-making habits were not top of the list of conversations. It wasn't greatly disturbed, like there had been a fight, but it was askew enough to know that someone had been in it. Which may or may not be a clue to anything.

Something still tingled at the edge of her senses, the edge of her awareness, but it was nothing she could put her finger on.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 4th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
Ravak watched from the doorway initially, keeping an eye more on Miahala than the interior of Vari's bedchamber. He didn't expect trouble to leap out from the shadows, but concern for his love was both his duty as a Gaidin and as a husband.

"Something?" he asked when Mia spent a little too long looking at the foot of the bed. Interest unglued his feet from the door as he stepped within, glancing at the floor in front of Mia. He spotted the angle of the bed frame after a moment, briefly pausing to double check whether that was the focus of Mia's interest.

Rav crouched down, the tips of his scabbards scuffing against the floor. "It's not much," he observed. His tone was not dismissive in the least, but it gave them very little to work off of. "Maybe she had a... visitor?" Except that as far as the Master of Arms knew, Vari was not one to court, and she had zero interest in having a Warder.

Standing, Rav rubbed his nose. The odour was stronger here, although it was still like sniffing at a rose from across a room. It was weak, yet it was familiar. He had a nagging feeling that... that something. Why I can't I remember what this is?

"I haven't a clue," he admitted. The Gaidin took a proper look around the room, but everything else seemed innocent.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » September 7th, 2017, 2:47 am

After several more long moments of silence, Miahala sighed with frustration and shook her head. "I haven't a clue either, my love," she said, that same frustration coloring her tone. "I can feel something. Whether it's a real something or maybe just an intuition, I don't know, but I feel something off in here and I can't figure out what it is."

Mia turned in a slow circle, looking at everything, and ultimately at nothing.

"What really bothers me is the door," she finally said. "If she left of her own accord, it would have been locked, at the very least. And even if she had been in here, I wager it would have been locked as well. That it was left open tells me that someone else was involved in..." She paused and sighed. "In what? Do we think someone kidnapped an Aes Sedai from these halls?"

She did not say it with disdain because she knew painfully well that it was all too possible. But there had been a great deal more...mess when she was taken. It had been obvious.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik