May I Present...Ravhala [Attn: Anyone Who Is Interested]

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: May I Present...Ravhala [Attn: Anyone Who Is Interested]

Post by Bella » August 8th, 2017, 3:24 am

Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
He knew that he had not had much to drink. In fact, he'd had barely anything at all. Despite that, he too was feeling an effect that verged on the partially drunk. It was not an unpleasant feeling, and he rather enjoyed it. Since this was a safe place, with good company, to enjoy it with and all. Perhaps there was something to the shared celebration in the room.

Or maybe it was just his wife in his arms, and the...gift, as it were, she had given him this night.

Gareth rumbled a laugh at her words and the expression on her face. "Well, you know," he said, pitching an already deep voice lower for her ears alone, though it was one of teasing and levity. "We've made an appearance, congratulated the new couple, had a drink, and now a dance... I'm not sure how late we actually need to stay..."
Brynmor Brook Gaidin, PSC
Now he was convinced that she was blushing. Imagine, an Aes Sedai blushing. He had seen channelers do many things, but this he felt had to be something new. He had made his share of women blush in his time, but they usually were...simpler than your average Aes Sedai. He did not think that as any form of insult, simply a truth. To make an Aes Sedai blush was something else.

He found it...charming. Something in his mind poked and prodded that he wanted to encourage more of it, but the more rational part of his brain knew that was playing with fire.

Maybe literally.

Instead of trailed that thought through his own mind, his small smile grew slightly. "I am most pleased to hear this," he said. "I would hate to invite someone onto the floor and have her dislike my dancing. I am finding dancing with you most...enjoyable as well."
Sadira Jolstraer Aes Sedai, PSC
The Blue could not recall the last time someone had offered her their arm for a simple walk. Alrim had done so before when he asked her to dance, but that seemed...different somehow, although she wasn't sure she could define just what that difference was. And tonight was not the night to try to figure it out.

Sadie smiled and took his arm, allowing him to lead her off the dance floor and into parts less...crowded. Truth was, crowds were not her favorite of things and she was happy to have some more breathing room.

"This way," she said. She knew the Tower as well as any person alive knew their own home. She had been born to these walls, lived in them for over a century, and knew that when she did die, this was where she would be laid to rest. It was her home. And so now she followed his suggestion and brought them to a balcony overlooking the ballroom floor.

Once situated, she turned to him. "I enjoy watching people as well. You can tell a lot without ever venturing words. Such an activity can save your life in some situations, or just save your evening from being boring in others."
Lysira Viathene Gaidin
Ah, so...

It hurt Lysira's heart to watch the visible misery Zarayne was experiencing, but she let the girl speak her piece. Such powerful emotions needed to be given their vent, and she was not going to stand in the way of that. Often by giving voice to what was inside, it could help to expel it. So, the silent one just listened.

And when she stopped, her eyes making it clear that it was the Gaidin's turn to speak, Lysira considered her words very carefully.

'I can imagine how painful this event must be for you, feeling as you do,' she signed, a little more slowly than usual as she continued to pick her words. She wanted to help, but did not want the girl to think that Lys found fault with her feelings. Zarayne needed validation, not isolation. 'How can you be sure, though, that this event will not expand your family, rather than take it away?'

She smiled a little, tilting her head. 'Miahala is...a good woman. She was practically a mother to me when I thought my mother was dead. And even after my parents returned, she remained so. Miahala and her kin are family to me, though we are not blood. And now I can say I welcome your father, and you, as near-family. If he and you would accept it.'

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Post by Andy » August 8th, 2017, 3:55 pm

He enjoyed her smile, it was quite charming given the way it spread to her eyes, themselves not the usual shade of blue. Small things indeed but he was also glad that he could provide a sense of enjoyment, or at the very least of amusement. Still he was quite aware that it was he being led rather than the traditional reverse, if the books could be believed of course. In his experience their words were worth less than a copper. He had no complaints though, the vantage spot chosen was worth it. He looked down upon the gathering, leaning his forearms upon the stone railing as he did so, eyes seeking and picking out those he cared about with a smile.

"Well, I do hope that I am not that, otherwise I shall have to do something drastic to salvage myself" he turned his head to look at her briefly, a flashed grin, she had turned towards him, perhaps watching him to match her words, "but I have to agree. I have lost count of the number of times it has warned me of a bad situation. Though to be fair it was probably my own fault for being in one"

"I did find that if you watch you are always more likely to be the watched too though, that was a valuable lesson though. I didn't really learn that until later than I should have," he shook his head, "mostly I like to watch my family these days, they are an interesting group though they do like such a dreary colour"

He pushed himself up after a few more moments of keeping an eye on them. He was happy for Alric, who had found himself quite the partner, if anyone needed some ruffling up it was him. As for the others, they were lost in the crowd now or had left for their own secluded places - if they had arrived at all. He turned towards Sadira and wondered what she saw had she been watching.

"I thank you, by the way, for bumping into me. This is probably the longest I have gone just talking to someone for some time, in peace and enjoyment, spending time. It is easy to be caught up in things long enough not to remember the feeling" he leaned against the railing as he spoke, a little more relaxed outside of the crowd and the dance.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » August 9th, 2017, 9:21 am

Zarayne
The pained and wracked expression on the Aielwoman's face lessened as she regarded Lysira with new eyes. Near-family had a meaning for the Aiel that Zarayne wasn't sure the Gaidin understood, but it still meant something to hear Lysira say it. A lump formed in the younger woman's throat. 'Thank you' she smiled. Her eyes were stained red despite (or perhaps because of) the lack of tears. Zarayne cleared her throat whilst she attempted to regain some composure. It wasn't easy, not with so many things bubbling away inside of her, but Lysira's kindness helped.

Zarayne glanced down the corridor towards the ballroom. "I don't want to go back inside," she admitted. "You go back. I'll be fine."
Ravak
Ravak grinned, only feeling a little defensive of his wife to the combined attacks she was receiving. The important thing was that he had got a proper smile out of Haeden. One down, countless to go. Probably not a good way of thinking about Mia's family.

"It is a Warder's duty to protect his Aes Sedai," Rav stated with a deferential nod towards Mia. His pale eyes then glanced at Haeden. "But it's a husband's duty to torment his wife. I'll endeavour to strike the correct balance," he chuckled.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » August 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Riahana Tomosan
Ria laughed as she met her husband’s nearly mischievous gaze. Still, after all the years they shared together, she could get lost in his pale eyes. Reaching up, she tucked an errant strand of hair away from his face before placing the same hand on his chest. “You do have a point. . .” she began, but trailed off as something caught her attention.

Her smirk turned to a bit of a broad grin before she nodded to another part of the dance floor, “If I am not mistaken, our daughter is dancing with a Gaidin.” Initially, Ria could only see Tia’s face, as the Gaidin’s back was to her. She was less concerned with who it was at the moment, and more taken by the smile on her daughter’s face, “And I do believe she is blushing.”

She turned her attention back to Gareth, “Is she blushing?” The Gaidin hadn’t forgotten where their previous conversation was leading them, and would be sure to return to it soon enough. Part of her, though, wanted to take a bit of joy in seeing their daughter in a carefree moment. She’d been so. . .serious and focused of late that the smile (and blush?) were a pleasant sight to see.
Tia Sedai
He liked dancing with her, as well. Tia’s warm smile broadened as he spun her in time with the music, and she found herself laughing as he pulled her back. “I hope it is more than a bit obvious that I’m enjoying the moment,” she replied, finding her cheeks were starting to hurt a little from grinning so much. Memma did say to enjoy myself,.

As the two of them turned, Tia caught sight of her parents, and her Mother seemed to be watching her and Bryn. Fortunately, she was already blushing, though it did cause her to flash a shy smile as she looked back to Bryn, “I’m pretty sure I’ve been spotted by my parents. Not that I mind, though Mother looks amused.” She tilted her head and let the shy smile turn a bit playful, “I hope you are on her good side, or it could get awkward.”

And how could it get awkward? It’s one dance, her internal voice countered. But what if it wasn’t just one dance? Suddenly, her inner voice became a series of voices with various scenarios and what if’s. She did her best to focus on the dance, and her dance partner, which (thankfully) wasn’t all that hard.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 10th, 2017, 2:46 am

Sadie listened with that small smile still curving the corners of her mouth, not with amusement but showing her active interest in the things that he had to say. It was sincere, because she was of an age where she did not feel she had to fake interest just to be polite. If she wasn't interested, it showed.

If she was interested, that showed too. And here, with him, she was interested.

She couldn't necessarily explain why, but there was something about him. She wasn't quite sure she had felt something this way in a while, and she enjoyed the feeling of...feeling again. "I know precisely what you mean," she said lightly, turning slightly to lean against the balcony beside him. "I feel the same way."

Hesitating, she spotted each family member. Haeden still looked like a stick in the mud. She'd have to talk to him about that. Sadie considered a rope of Air to push Haeden and Derren together so they could at least be uncomfortable together...

"I have had plenty of lengthy conversations with my family, of course, but it's nice to speak to someone else. And not in the guise of lessons or training or whatever other business there is before a person. It's easy to lose one's self, I think, in such work."
Lysira Viathene Gaidin
The small Gaidin was glad to see the sorrow lessen at least, and found a small victory in that. She did not like the idea of leaving the girl alone, however. It seemed unkind, if nothing else. 'Why don't we take a walk?' she suggested. Everywhere will be quiet now, and perhaps some air outside the crowded ballroom would do use good.'
Miahala ni Sha'hal t'Darrow
The Green did not mind the teasing. She would endure this and much more if it meant that Haeden was smiled and could at least find some level of...acceptance with the situation. Mia could easily understand why it was awkward and uncomfortable for him, but she wasn't going to live her life avoiding situations that make others uncomfortable.

She would tend to her son's feelings in every other way, but he was an adult and would have to navigate some of those feelings himself.

"I have no doubt that you shall," Mia said with a warm smile for Ravak to show that she was not upset about the poking and teasing of the two men standing before her. "Meanwhile, it is a son's duty to drive his mother from her sanity and this one is making quite the valiant effort to that end."

"Please, Mother, I would never seek that," Haeden said, the sentiment sincere though he still had that half-smirk. "But you must allow me a little fun."

"Always, child," she said, stepping forward and leaning up to kiss his cheek. "I will leave you to your stoicism now and subject Ravak to a few other family members." Her blue-green eyes danced as she looked at her new husband sidelong. "If he would be so amenable," she added, though they both knew that that's what was happening next.
Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
Of course, it wasn't amusement that first rose in Gareth at her words and observation. No matter how old his daughter might be, Aes Sedai or not, she was still his daughter and the first instant was that of a protector. The rational mind jumped in to squash it immediately and some amusement did filter through, but fathers were gonna father...

He spun his wife slightly so that he could catch sight of his daughter as inconspicuously as possible. "I do believe you're right, my love," he said, turning his eyes back down to her with a crooked smile. He too had seen how serious she had become lately and yes, he was happy that she was enjoying herself. "Do you know who she is dancing with?"
Brynmor Brook Gaidin, PSC
The reminder of her mother was a briefly sobering thought... Riahana was well-respected, and even feared, among the warder yards. The woman was a former Master of Arms and a blademaster. These things were each a force to be reckoned with on their own, but together, well...and then Bryn recollected the girl's father, who was only a little taller than Bryn but definitely broader.

Brynmor did not need to be on the bad side of either of them. And just how would a dance do that?

He focused on the dance and managed another smile, although this one took just a little bit more effort than previously as he tried to get past the sobering effects. "So far as I am aware, I am on perfectly good terms with your mother. If for no other reasons than we don't know one another well enough for me to have offended."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 10th, 2017, 4:57 pm

She was correct of course, he would have put coin on her having thought upon such things for far longer and, like as not, deeper than he had. Truth be told he had only truly started thinking about things properly since arriving at the Tower, he had a long way to go before he could say he was truly smart. He'd likely never be wise, he was far too impulsive for that. Still there was a deep appreciation of his company. She listened and had to judge or contradict him. Her look was intent and interested too, it made him feel a bit better about himself for it. Perhaps he had a knack for meeting the good ones, he reasoned.

"Oh I tend to talk to them every day," he said wryly, "a lot of them are down there. It feels strange at times but I feel like a big brother. Adopted, of course, can't really watch the other one" he said with a hint of sadness.

He took the opportunity to study Sadira, properly. The initial meeting and the dancing had been quick and required his brain. Now he was more relaxed and had the opportunity to be a bit more himself and less routine movements, which was all dancing was at its core. Though it did help if you liked the partner. She had a good heart, that much was already clear and if nothing else he would have been happy to call her a friend. Yet she also was possessed of something he was not sure of. A certain grace or the way she phrased her words. And there was a beauty there that was not the classical.

In other words, unique. And worth knowing he told himself simply/

"I must admit I tend to try not to get lost in work but it has a way of dragging you in. I have no causes or drives but there are always those in need of a Gaidin it seems," he snorted at the world in general, "I gave up resisting a while back. Invested in trying to get a good record instead, seemed...prudent. I make do with rebelling every now and then. Keeps me sane"

"Sometimes work is a way of distracting yourself. It's not like we live normal lives," he noted, grinning and tilting his head to look at her, "I'd bet coin on there being a shortage of replacements willing to take our place"

"But...I would not change it. It would seem an insult"
~
~

Bella

Post by Bella » August 15th, 2017, 10:52 pm

As she listened, she tilted her head slightly. Sadira didn't know why she or anyone did this when particularly interested, but it was a trait noted in herself and others. Maybe there was some subconscious drive to hear more of what was being said. It was likely all in one's head, but after a century...habits are hard to break.

Her steel blue eyes glinted slightly in the light of the candelabras that supplemented what filtered in through the windows. Her long, dark hair falling slightly away from her face.

"You are right about that," she said thoughtfully. "It is not an easy life here, in many ways and for many reasons. But I have always thought that there is almost...a gift to it, to be part of it. We are given the ability to do in the world what others cannot, and it would be almost immoral to not act upon it, would it not?"

She paused and then laughed softly, glancing away for a moment before turning back. "Spoken like a true Blue, I'm afraid."

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » August 16th, 2017, 4:36 pm

"Delightfully so" he said with a slow smile.

This was why he liked meeting people, he knew, hidden depths. Not everyone had much of them but the rare few had what was akin to an ocean. Or what he thought an ocean was. He was ashamed to admit it but on the surface she seemed as if she could have passed him by without him even noticing. A good trait for her line of work assuredly but it would have been his own loss. Her bearing, the way the light glinted upon her hair and sparked her eyes. And the smile and laughter of course. And that was merely her person, nothing beyond, nothing of the years of service or her abilities. A truly deep person.

"But I agree, there is a responsibility to it. Even if half of the world doesn't really like that idea. I'm fairly sure most of us don't even like the idea when we're in the thick of it. I think I have probably cursed it at such times actually. But still, a gift. Though I think some have more of that gift than others"

He looked down into the crowd for a few moments as he pondered the words, they were truer than most wanted to admit to, perhaps. So many were rolled up in their own problems, ambitions and more. He was guilty of such things himself. How much they could get done if they just stopped and got caught up in others.

"It seems you have found your purpose, and it shows," he said, leaving her to interpret as she willed but he meant the words, "I envy you but sadly you're a minority. I am not sure people really think about what is moral. It's easy to say defeating the Shadow is right and go do it. Far harder to face up to the flaws in ourselves, I think. To solve everything you'd need to unify everyone...somehow...in purpose and direction"

"I do not envy being the Grey who would be given that task," he chuckled, "take swords and battles over courting nobility any day. More honest and less prone to death"
~
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » August 16th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Riahana
Riahana had to wait until Gareth turned the two of them once more, and then waited a bit more for the Gaidin to turn so she could see his face. Both of her brows went up, “His name is Brynmor Brook. I don’t know him well, but what I do know of him. . .he is a skilled Gaidin and has a reputation as a serious man.” She realized Brook was smiling at Tia.

Looking back to Gareth with a wry smile, “Though not so serious that he can’t smile around our daughter. She looks happy too. . .it’s good to see. Though, I’ll admit a part of me wants to arrange a spar with him to see how he measures up. Perhaps a bit over the top given they’re simply dancing, but I can’t help but be a bit protective of our children.”
Tia Sedai
Tia laughed softly with his comment, “Perfectly good terms sounds perfect to me, though I can’t help but notice they are both watching us now.” She looked back to her dance partner, “The downside to dancing with me. . .you’ll no doubt have not just my parents sizing you up, but much of the Sha’hal clan. Given the reason for this celebration, perhaps even part of the Darrow clan may do a bit of sizing up, as well.”

The shy smile seemed to be replaced by a wry one, “I would absolutely understand if you wanted to escape such potential scrutiny. I’ve been told my family is a little bit intimidating.” She would understand, yes, but part of her would be disappointed. “And that may be a little bit of an understatement.”

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » August 18th, 2017, 1:41 am

Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow, the First of Name, the Dragonmarked, Lord of Bad Decision Making
That went well, Ravak thought. He wasn't sure it was wise to voice those thoughts out loud – he didn't wish to make it seem like getting along with the in-laws was a goal-orientated task – but the quiet satisfaction must have resonated through the bond. The new Mr Sha'hal shared a loving look with his wife.

"To whom are we going to subject ourselves to next?" Ravak asked. "Sadira? Darren? Riahana? Tia?" He left the decision up to Miahala. It was only polite for one. For another, Craig didn't wish to force either Bella or Roan into having to write niceties with Ravak.
Zarayne
A walk sounded good. Distance between herself and them seemed wise. Zarayne didn't trust herself to keep from doing something stupid, although her definition of stupid was crying in public, not lighting ballrooms on fire or instigating a Tower-wide inquisition.

Zarayne rose from her chair and waited for Lysira to rise before setting off. The Accepted didn't have any destination in mind beyond putting space between herself and the revelry, but her slippered feet meandered towards her quarters out of habit.

The Aielwoman shivered as a cold breeze crossed through the hallway they were walking down. She focused on the distraction, frowning at the wind. "A cold night. Not like it is in Shienar. The air's too wet here." She tugged her sleeves down in an attempt to protect more of her skin from the air.

"You should be enjoying the party," Zarayne said. They were already far enough away from the proceedings that the sound of music had faded completely. The suggestion wasn't for Lysira's benefit. Zarayne didn't want to feel guilty about pulling someone out of an event for her own selfish reasons. "I can walk alone. I'm not important enough to have my own Warder yet."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik