Arrival of the Best Candidates Ever (OPEN)

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Ashfalcon
"The Dragon Reborn"
PC: Darthalien
SC: Illanova Restrov

Arrival of the Best Candidates Ever (OPEN)

Post by Ashfalcon » January 25th, 2023, 1:54 am

"Your business?" asked the guard, pleasantly enough.

It was mid-morning, bright and sunny, though still a bit chill here in the mountains. Illanova exchanged a glance with Birno, then looked back at the guards. "We've come to join the Tower," she said simply. "My friend here can channel, and I'd like to present myself as a candidate for warder training."

The guard looked her over dubiously; then he shrugged. "As you wish," he said. He was about midway between Illa and Birno in age, with the sort of long mustache that she usually associated with Saldaeans; he wore a buff coat that looked both warm and protective, and held a peculiar-bladed sort of polearm that reminded her vaguely of a farmer's pruning hook.

Illa supposed she'd need to learn the names of these things, but now didn't seem the time to start.

The guard turned and whistled sharply, and a boy trotted over -- one slightly shorter than Illa herself, and just old enough to be trying to grow his first mustache. He looked up at her and offered a shy smile.

"Candidates, Mannonon," said the guard. "One for Asha'man, one for the Warder Yards."

"Right," said the boy, then smiled at Illa again. "Come with me, miss... sir. I'll take you to the ones you need to see."

As they crossed the courtyard, Illa felt her shoulders tighten and her heart clench. Beside her, Birno said quietly, "I'm having doubts." Yes, well, so was she.

"Don't worry," Illa told him, with cheery false bravado. "They can't keep us here if we don't want to stay."

Birno snorted. "You, maybe. Me, they can keep just fine."

"Not true," Illa grinned. "Because I'd come back to rescue you. It'll be very dramatic, probably with a lot flashing swords and daring escapes."

"Do you even know how to use a sword?" asked Birno, sounding slightly pained though Illa couldn't think why.

"Not in the least," she told him.

He grimaced and shook his head.

And then, a moment later, he said: "Thank you."

They followed the boy inside.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Arrival of the Best Candidates Ever (OPEN)

Post by Bella » January 27th, 2023, 11:18 pm

The first office they stopped at belonged to the Gaidin Captain, but that was only because the Master of Training was out of the Tower on a mission and Natlya Cade was covering some of his duties in the meantime. Thus, it was where the new candidate for the Yards was brought, entering the office after a knock-and-response.

Natlya looked up as the group entered. "Greetings, and welcome to the Grey Tower," she said, bowing her head slightly--even though her eyes never lowered. "Who do we have here?"

OOC: Birno can stick around for introductions or be shuffled right along. Whatever you prefer.

Ashfalcon
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Ashfalcon » January 28th, 2023, 5:16 am

Illa swept her hat off and pressed it to her chest as she bowed. She'd chosen a simple divided skirt and linen blouse for this, but left the pouches in place on the belt she wore over them. Her hands were covered with the calfskin gloves that she'd stolen back in Whitebridge, fancier and more expensive than anything else she was wearing, but she wasn't about to reveal her artificial arm until she had to. The dagger was tucked safely away in her boot, well hidden by the skirt.

It was her eye that she couldn't disguise. She'd considered an eyepatch, but a brief experiment the previous evening had shown her that she'd need a lot more practice to deal with the loss of depth perception and peripheral vision. The hat helped with that, but it would have been rude to keep it on while introducing herself. "Illanova Restrov," she said, keeping her voice even. "I've come to train as a Warder, if I may."

Birno cleared his throat. "If you'll permit an outsider's opinion," he said carefully, "I think you'll find that Illa makes an excellent, if unconventional, candidate--" He turned his gaze to Illa. "--so long as she minds herself."

Illanova rolled her eyes at him. Like you're any better, old man. She knew what she was doing here, and she wasn't trying to run a game the way she'd been when she applied as a maid at Lord Atruman's manor. She could behave. She could. They'd talked about the need for it often enough.

OOC: I think we'll shuffle Birno out in just a minute.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 3rd, 2023, 10:32 pm

Natlya observed. She listened. She considered.

She arched one red brow at the man. "I have no trouble with an outsider's opinion, but I prefer to form my own." Nat spoke with a faint smile tilting the very corners of her mouth. She didn't think he was here to train as a warder, so she wasn't going to mind him too much for now and she turned back to Illanova.

"Why do you want to become a warder, Illanova Restrov?"

Ashfalcon
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Ashfalcon » February 4th, 2023, 5:01 am

Illa allowed herself a brief moment of panic, to get the blood moving and the brain working. Of course they'd want to know why she wished to become a warder; she should have seen that coming. Instead, she'd... expected them to ask what she could do, which she'd have been glad to show them -- within limits. "Honestly?" she asked, to buy herself a moment before she started lying by omission, "Who wouldn't want to join a legendary company of elite warriors?" I mean, I wouldn't, but that's because I don't cherish the idea of bravely getting eaten by trollocs. "A chance for honor, glory, and the opportunity to do some real good in the world... what more could a woman want?"

Okay, so she wasn't just lying by omission; she was definitely lying outright. But she leaned in and loaded the words with absolute sincerity: "I want to make a difference in the world."

"Sir?" asked the boy, Mannonon. "You should come with me. I'll take you to the Master of Soldiers."

Illa glanced back at Birno and nodded. "Good luck."

Birno grimaced, but followed the boy out of the room. Illanova turned her attention back to Gaidin Captain.

OOC: Up to you whether or not Natlya sees right through her, is just suspicious, or actually thinks Illa is the sort of naive idealist she's trying to present herself as. Mainly, Illanova knows that she can't keep doing what she was doing, and she's actually kind of desperate to find a steady source of food and income. There's also the matter of a dead Tairen lord, but Illa has good reason to think that that one won't catch up to her. At least, not as a criminal justice matter.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 4th, 2023, 11:58 pm

Natlya listened very closely to the woman's answer. She listened.

It had been many, many years since Natlya had run the streets. Since she'd conned and lied to make a living, and even make a profit when she did well enough. Thinking back to those days was always a bittersweet experience, but those memories weren't the point now. No, now it was more that she still had that girl inside her.

She could recognize dramatic lies. She even could, somewhat often, recognize when someone was just skating around the edge of the truth without diving in. This was a little easier. The biggest hint was too much sincerity.

The Gaidin Captain/Temporary Mistress of Training was quiet until after Illanova finished, and until after the boy had directed the other fellow out of the room. After the door shut, the redheaded Gaidin looked at the woman across for her for several moments. "Let's try that again, Restrov, with less pie-eyed lies. Why are you here?"

Ashfalcon
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Ashfalcon » February 5th, 2023, 1:30 pm

Tumbled! Ah, well, she always had been better at second-story work than she was at running confidence. So she shrugged. "I actually do want to become a Warder," she said. "At least, I'd like to try the training and see if it suits me. I don't know much about fighting, but I know how to move and I think I can learn." Better, better, turn it back to the things you were ready with. Stick to the truth. "And, honestly, I'm kind of short on opportunities. I don't have the skills or the money to open a shop, I can't marry into money, and I'm not going back to where I was." She shrugged again. "And I do like to eat."

Then she frowned, because something was nudging at her. This woman... Illa narrowed her eyes, but kept her mouth shut. This woman had run a game or two in her day, or Illa was flaming trolloc. Might be that she'd spent some time busting up other people's games, but... no, that didn't seem likely. No, there was something about the way she'd responded... she'd definitely been on the dealer's side of the deck.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 9th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Natlya watched carefully, quiet for a moment before she responded. "Better," she said. She looked at the desk and pulled a book over from the side, opening it to a particular page before spinning it around to face Restrov. There was already a quill on the desk. "We turn away no one who truly wants to learn."

Sometimes they don't turn away those who don't want to learn either, she thought with a bit of rueful nostalgia.

"Sign your name here, or any sort of mark if you can't write your name," she said, pointing to a blank space at the bottom of a long list of names and Xs and scribbles. "It's not easy to train to be a Gaidin. It might be one of the hardest things you've ever done, but you do right by the Grey Tower and it will do right by you. You'll be housed, clothed, and fed well and regularly."

Ashfalcon
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Ashfalcon » February 13th, 2023, 12:20 am

Three lines spreading out to the left, three lines spreading out to the right. Above them, a pair of quick angles aimed upwards, and then two oval dots below those. There in the center, a quick loop with the edges hanging down. It wasn't a name, but it was her mark: the one she'd sketched in charcoal where she'd stolen something important. It was meant to suggest a cat.

That had been back when she'd thought she might gain a reputation as burglar, become some sort of local legend, maybe gain some fame as well as a bit of fortune. That had been before Lord Atruman and his Aes Sedai's wards had put paid to that aspiration.

Illa considered it a moment longer. She knew her letters, and could read if she absolutely had to -- albeit with some effort -- but actually trying to write, especially without something to copy from, was torment. This, though... It was still her mark, both easier and far more distinctive than trying to write out her name. Satisfied, she turned the book back towards the red-headed woman. "What... what happens now?"
Last edited by Ashfalcon on July 27th, 2023, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 17th, 2023, 10:55 pm

Natlya looked at it for a moment, intrigued by whatever it actually was... Well, it was something. She'd put in the given name later beside the signed registry.

She put the book back in its place, ready for whenever the next candidate walked through the door, and turned back to the young woman. "Now, we get you settled. You'll be assigned quarters in the warder halls, and you'll have a roommate until you're raised. You're now a Drin, which is the first rank of trainees.

"If you learn well, you may ascend to the rank of Ji'val, and perhaps even reach Gaidin. You'll receive uniforms suitable to your rank as Drin and Ji, and there is a strict training schedule for each." She paused, trying to remember everything she'd known back when she went through this and what she'd been refreshed on before covering the role.

"You will have classes as well as weapons and combat training. Some are based on the skills you're coming in with. How is your ability to read and write? Work with numbers? Are you familiar with any weaponry or fighting styles already? Do you know how to ride a horse?" She reeled off a few of the top tier questions to figure out which basic classes the girl would need.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik