A Meeting of the Three ((Attn: Marit and Ubriel))

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: A Meeting of the Three ((Attn: Marit and Ubriel))

Post by Roan » September 29th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Riahana took a sip of her own mulled wine, wondering where the mind of the Mistress of Arms might have wandered, though pushed the thought to the side. In this office there was no need to be on high alert, and Ria knew even she could be guilty of letting her mind wander when her guard was down.

"Ah, well it is convenient that how I'm settling in is on the agenda," the Gaidar Captain replied with a small smirk. "As far as giving our unbonded Gaidin and Gaidar purpose, I have a couple of ideas, though I need to flesh them out a bit," she gave a start of an answer to Yani's question. "The first idea is the simplest. Assess what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how each of them complement the group as a whole. How to go about it is a bit more abstract, and where the idea needs to be fleshed out. Meeting each of them individually is one option. Another option flows into the second idea. . .a mission out to the Citadel. They are all tested and proven their worth as Gaidar and Gaidin, but learning to work as a unit as opposed to as an individual is a very different matter."

Riahana paused for a moment, then added, "Though, I think drills in a less. . .volatile environment might be more prudent, so idea one coupled into a series of 'war games,' for lack of a better term."

((OOC: There was something else, but I can't for the life of me remember what the third option was going to be!))

Bree
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Ubriel Bryne, Gaidar
SC: Makenna Grenaldi, Accepted

Post by Bree » October 1st, 2015, 11:56 pm

Ubriel nodded at the idea of missions to and through the Citadel. She had already given thought to the need for expanding the Border Patrols that ranged between the Towers of Kandor on the Blight Border and beyond. War games? How the Light...?

"I have met with each individually for the most part but not usually for the sake of gauging their usefulness. Many of them will not open up or be willing to discuss their skills and training without an object upon which to demonstrate. An evaluative spar might work." She grinned with the sudden image of a succession of newly promoted Gaidin and Gaidar queuing up to be whipped by the Gaidar Captain. "I myself have intended to begin running Border Patrols once I spoke to the two of you about it." Ubriel quietly ticked that item from her list.

"How would you go about setting up a War Game? I am guessing it would be something like the sparring fields but on a larger scale?"
ImageImageImage

Roan

Post by Roan » October 3rd, 2015, 6:27 pm

Riahana had only given the idea of war games a cursory thought when she considered her options for understanding what skills the unbonded Gaidin and Gaidar might have. "Simply put, yes, sparring fields on a larger scale. I would suggest dividing them into two groups. The simple approach is an idea of capturing the opponent's base or flag. Another idea is both forces are tasked with obtaining an object of some sort, with the winning team getting the object first."

The Gaidar Captain paused to take another sip of her drink, "To gain an understanding of what strengths and weaknesses they have, I would observe both groups...perhaps with assistance from one or both of you. In other words, each team would be led by one of the unbonded Gaidin or Gaidar." She set her cup down, "If I am to lead them into a hostile situation, then it is imperative that I know who has what skill. . .who are those strong with ranged attacks, versus those who are best in close-quarters combat, and so on. If they are not willing to discuss their skills one-on-one, then I need some manner to assess exactly who I'm leading into combat."

She smirked, "Having said all of that, if either of you have other ideas or better ideas, I am more than willing to listen."

Bree
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Bree » October 3rd, 2015, 11:59 pm

Ubriel pondered the question of how to accomplish such a training challenge and applied her specialized studies of small unit tactics. "You might have a better chance of an accurate evaluation of individual skills if you start with individual spars and then match the individuals into pairs and then the pairs into squads and so on until you have small contingents that you can direct in a mock combat with an objective." The tea was gone from her cup but her stomach had finally settled and Ubriel was grateful. She leaned forward to pour another cup of tea and picked up a sweet roll. Her first nibble of the sticky treat caused her stomach to lurch unhappily and she sat the pastry on the small plate in front of her.

Sipping her tea once again, Ubriel thought about the prospects and wondered aloud, "Do you think it is something we could include the lower ranks in? Put the full ranks in command positions and the trainees in positions of foot and support? Leave the three of us to oversee and watch what they can really do without having to be in command ourselves? I know it would be good for the lower ranks to gain skill in their own weapons and drill training but also in taking orders and fighting as a unit before they are expected to be full rank and in command for themselves."
ImageImageImage

Marit
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Amayani do Ciresh a'Sorene
SC: Ci'tanni Shannaran

Post by Marit » October 12th, 2015, 1:32 pm

"I think we should set up two types of Wargames, one that is open to all, and one that is for the Gaidin and Gaidar only. Both kinds would be beneficial," Yani said and looked at Ubriel. "Like you said, it would be good for the lower ranks to experience a Wargame, a "real" battle, though with the benefit of not risking severe wounds or deaths. A Game open to all would also be beneficial for the fully raised, as it would test their abilities in leading and protecting those less able to defend themselves. Which, after all, pretty much is what we're all about," she added with a small grin.

"And hosting a Wargame for the Gaidin and Gaidar only would give them a chance to face opponents of similar skills, and not have to feel like they have to hold back against a younger trainee." She looked at her fellow officers for their thoughts on that.

"All in all, breathing life into the Wargames again is a good idea," she added.

"As for other ways of evaluating their skills…" she began, mulling over the ideas the two had voiced so far. "Indivitual spars is an accurate way, though one that takes a lot of time and effort on our parts. Another way, or a start at least, is to use the records. Ubriel, you should have quite accurate records of the skills of those raised in your time in the office," she phrased it as a statement, but there was a hint of question in her voice as well. "And there should be records in your office from the former Masters of Training. And I have my own notes from when I was Gaidar Captain," she added and looked at Riahana. "I'll see if I can't find those afterwards." Taking another bite of her sweetroll, she wondered where her old notes had ended up. If they'd followed her change of office, they should be in her archive. Or were they in the pile of unsorted documents? She gazed past the other two to the desk at the end of the room, which was littered with papers. She didn't think they were there… At least she hoped they weren't. But she probably should sort that pile someday.

((OOC: Sorry for not bringing it much further.. But the two of you chat away so much, I have to catch up! =P))
ImageImage
Amayani do Ciresh a'Sorene, Gaidin Captain
Ci'tanni Shannaran, Novice

Roan

Post by Roan » October 13th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Riahana nodded as she listened to both the Mistress of Training and Mistress of Arms. Both women brought a different point of view to the table, and gave the new Gaidar Captain things to consider. As she took the last bite of her sweetroll, Ria nodded in consent with Amayani. Once she washed down her last bite with more mulled wine, she responded, "I am in favor of running an open wargames for all ranks, and a closed one for those who are fully raised. Both would be beneficial. As you said, letting the lower ranks experience a 'real' battle without risk of death, and giving those of full rank a chance to lead would be prudent....and it would give us all a chance to see how everyone is progressing."

She paused as she scratched the side of her chin, then continued, "The closed, full rank war game. . .there is benefit not having to hold back, which is a definite plus. Having said that, though, taking a look at the records of those in the Yards would definitely be quicker than holding individual spars. I can see the advantage of setting up a bracket of individual spars, and it might be something we can do down the road. For now, though, I think I'll stick to reviewing records, and seeing about setting up a round of wargames."

Bree
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Bree » October 16th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Ubriel nodded agreeing with the other two women and letting the conversation move forward. "I have records and I have browsed the records kept by the office before. The problem I see there is that even if we have the technical skills to pass assessments like spars and tests, it does not tell us, if in the thick of battle, any of our trainees or even the fully ranked warriors will have what it takes to keep their wits and use that knowledge. Even better would be to give them someone to protect, or some thing. Especially the full ranks. Many of them haven't had to protect and serve since they were first raised. And even more of them never had the chance to try before then."

Ubriel wasn't sure if she was getting her points across in a linear and logical way so she lifted her fingers from her hot mug and ticked them off. "Our records will tell us what the trainees are supposed to know. A real challenge in which they can get hurt is the only way to really know if they can put it to use as well as if they know it, in my opinion. Their training and continuing training is sorely lacking in opportunities to practice the protect and serve part of this life."

She nodded as she put her hand down and wrapped her fingers once again around the mug. Sipping, she said, "The channelers go on jaunts here and there often enough. Why not see if the unbonded would mind taking, or want to take, an unbonded Gaidin or Gaidar on their exploits? A little real world action with minimal expected danger."
ImageImageImage

Roan

Post by Roan » October 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Riahana furrowed her brows, "I am surprised that we don't already have an arrangement with the unbonded channelers to provide a Gaidin or Gaidar to accompany them when they leave the tower. What we do in the Warder Yards is train warriors to be the very best they can be such that they can protect our channelers, as well as the Tower. Not that. . .I have any desire to mess with the affairs of the Aes Sedai and Asha'man, but the purpose that was trained into me by Master Ives when I was going through the learning ranks was that of protector. One of the very first questions he asked me was why might I lay down my life so that another should live. . .and that 'other' would be the channeler I agreed to protect. To me, it is the essence of being a Warder."

Realizing she'd gotten on a soap box, Ria gave a soft laugh, "I apologize. . .I realize that things now are a bit different than when I was a Drin' and Ji' working my way towards the cloak." She looked to Ubriel, "In a sense, you are right. . .putting our Gaidin and Gaidar in a roll where they are meant to protect a channeler can be a good measure of their skills. In that same line of thought, though, so is spending time at the Citadel." She looked to the Mistress of Arms, "I know you have spent time at the Citadel of late. Perhaps we can set up a rotation for our unbonded Gaidin and Gaidar?"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik