The Death of an Amyrlin

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: The Death of an Amyrlin

Post by Craig » May 30th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Elia
"It's time to wake up, Mother."

The unmistakable feeling of being woken by the One Power washed through the Amyrlin. She was immediately alert, malachite eyes glancing this way and that. Nothing had seemed to change in the time she was unconscious - it may have been moments or minutes. Except Fiona had moved, and she held something very precious in her hands.

Fear filled her gaze. Fiona knew somehow. It didn't take a genius to know that Dax had done something stupid. She was no longer worried about how to deal with Dax; her own survival was once more placed in the balance.

"Don't make me swear an Oath," she croaked. She didn't know if either of them realised what would happen if she was asked to obey two contradictory Oaths. A fate better than being stilled maybe, but that did nothing to assuage her dread.

Even as she spoke, Elia thought of a solution. Saidar felt closer and more attainable. Her angreal was too far away to use, so her options were very limited. When she needed to, she would have one opportunity to use Compulsion before being shielded. The question was who to compel, and what her command should be.

"I'll do what--" She coughed. "I'll do whatever you ask. Just no Oaths."
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » May 30th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Fiona Trakand
Fiona turned the Oath Rod in her hands. It felt as if someone had dumped ice water down her spine, but no sign of discomfort showed on her face.

Knowing she was doing the right thing and actually doing it were two very different things. Especially when it involved a Darkfriend. Especially when that Darkfriend was the Amyrlin Seat. Especially when the memory of what the last Darkfriend Amyrlin had done was still fresh in her mind and heart. Paks walked the grounds looking as if she’d had her soul ripped out through her chest, and Dax wanted Fiona to let Elia walk free. The ends justify the means, he had claimed. What was that supposed to mean, anyway? Yet the dice had stopped when she agreed to help him, and there was only one time in her memory when that had indicated a poor decision.

“I’ll do what- I’ll do whatever you ask. Just no Oaths.” Elia made no move to fight, but Fiona knew better than to trust that facade of calm. It took a split second to embrace saidar, after all, and Elia could use the bond to force Dax to her will without channeling a single thread. Every second Fiona remained in that room the danger grew and violence became more likely. Burn me, but I do get into pickles, don’t I?

“That was not quite what I had in mind,” Fiona said.

It occurred to her rather belatedly that she had not sworn the Oaths herself; not then, not ever. Why did Dax trust her? Perhaps he didn’t. Perhaps he had lost his mind. As I have clearly lost mine.

The Andoran fell into the warmth of saidar, Spirit winding through her fingers and the ter’angreal as she spoke again. “I am no scholar of these objects, but it seems logical that if the thing can be used to bind a vow, it could also do the reverse. Else how have Darkfriends hidden in our midst for so long?” Fiona didn't wait for a response. Instead she leaned forward to press the Oath Rod against the side of the Amyrlin’s throat. “If you love your children, foreswear all oaths that bind you, Elia. Do it now, and swear the Three Oaths once more, or by all that is good I will kill you myself.”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 30th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Elia
Elia paused for a moment after Fiona's threat was levelled at her, to see if the doors in her mind once again opened. They didn't. Either she didn't believe the Green capable of cold-blooded murder, or she didn't believe Fiona would have a chance to act on her threat.

"Hold her."

Fiona squeaked in shock as Dax lifted her, binding her arms behind her back and relieving the petite blonde of the Oath Rod in a singular action. There was an outburst of upset filtering across the bond but Elia chose to ignore it.

As anticipated, Fiona's rebuttal came swiftly. A shield slammed around the Amyrlin, although Elia hardly needed the One Power when she had her Warder present. The Green hadn't taken a Warder of her own, so no-one would be running to her defence.

Elia struggled to sit up, but she did so haltingly. Standing took a lot longer, and all the time Dax held Fiona hostage. The Green was forced onto her tiptoes, and sweat marred her brow by the time Elia was able to meet her face-to-face.

"Don't fret, my daughter. I've no intention of killing you." Elia's gaze moved upwards to Dax. "The Oath Rod, hand it to me." With the ivory rod in hand, Elia finally felt her control of the situation returning, but she had two issues to solve.

"Now, you're going to do exactly as I say. You're going to cease shielding me, you're going to take the Oath Rod in hand, and you're going to swear never to reveal any of my secrets. Do you understand, or shall I have Dax here break one of your arms?"
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » May 31st, 2018, 6:00 am

Dax
“Hold her.”

Dax was moving before he could properly think, his hands pulling free of Elia’s and instead reaching for Fiona. No, no, no, nonono! The way he felt when the Aelfinn told him of his lover’s true allegiances was a spark compared to the inferno of horror that roared within him as he bent the small woman’s arms behind her back and lifted her away from Elia.

Both Elia and Jaryd had used Compulsion on him in the past; he knew the feel of those weaves, dreaded the shrouding blur that overtook his mind when they began. This was something else, something that came from deep within. His head was clear, he simply did not have control over his own limbs. He scrambled along the line of awareness, searching for any clue. Elia's presence seemed particularly close, particularly demanding. Understanding struck and something inside him simply...snapped. Dax lowered his chin and his eyes fell to the floor, his shoulders drooping ever so slightly though his grip on the Green never faltered.

”Shall I have Dax here break one of your arms?” The ground beneath his feet felt odd, like it had turned sideways and he should be falling, only the floor still clung to his feet. If Fiona refused, Elia would make him and he would have no choice save to obey. The thought sickened him. What have you done? Whether he meant the question for Elia or himself, he could not have said. His foolish hope had put them all in this position. I should have stayed in the mirror world. I should have bloody died.

Dax felt that silent push to move again. He released one of Fiona’s arms and pressed the Oath Rod into her hand. He wet his lips with the tip of his tongue as she twisted to look up at him, but he could not meet her eyes. “You are not at fault for having faith in those you love,” the Aes Sedai whispered as her fingers closed around the ter’angreal once more. Something hot and wet streaked down the Gaidin’s cheek, but he shook his head and refused to acknowledge it.

“I swear by my mother’s name I will never reveal Elia Darrow’s secrets,” Fiona said clearly, and Dax felt surprised satisfaction creep over the bond.

Fiona held the Oath Rod toward Elia with a graceful flourish of her hand. Dax thought it was odd how someone who was so tiny could seem so very tall, especially when cornered as thoroughly as the Andoran had been. "You and Dax have children together, a life, a bond," Fiona said. She seemed strangely maternal, her tone conveying both comfort and disappointment. "Dax knew what you are and he still risked every thing to help you today. How will you repay all he has given you? Your betrayal or your salvation...whichever it is, you have to decide now."

Dax wasn't entirely sure how he felt about having a near-stranger advocate for him and was even less sure how he felt about the options presented. Considering he still couldn't seem to put words together, however, it was probably a good thing Fiona was trying.
Image Image Image Image

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 31st, 2018, 11:54 am

Elia
There was a strong temptation, especially after that little spat, to make Fiona swear an Oath to keep silent in her presence. Trying to explain to me what I have? I've seen more than your pretty little brain could appreciate. Elia resisted that urge, taking the Oath Rod back from the petulant Green. "Don't ever presume to tell me what to do, child."

Ter'angreal in hand, Elia walked uneasily to the other side of the room. She turned the slender white rod in her hands, one pale as snow, the other blackened and withered. The Light and the Shadow. The Oath Rod had ensured the allegiances of both sides since before the Grey Tower had existed. Hers had not been a willing choice when she swore to wait for the Dark One's return, but once sworn, that had been it.

Taking a seat in the couch at the far end of the room, Elia scoffed. She'd had access to the Oath Rod for years. If it was really just a matter of availability, she would have forsworn the Oaths long ago. She was an unwilling pawn in all of this, albeit a powerful pawn. If it was just a case of channelling and saying a few words...

She turned the ter'angreal over in her hands. Since swearing on it, Elia had always wanted to be free. In the beginning, she begrudgingly accepted her fate. She was evil, so she set out to maim and destroy and kill. It had taken a toll on her soul. She soon lost belief in ever returning to the naïve Accepted she'd once been. The only way through the darkness was to embrace it. Soon her former mentor was dead to her schemes, then the previous Supreme Leader was brought low through her direct intervention. Power placed a balm over the corruption of her spirit.

Power. Green eyes looked at the desk at the far end of the room. She was the most powerful woman in the Grey Tower, and competed with queens and panarchs and high ladies. The number of people who could assume to be her equal would fit inside this office with room to spare.

Looking down towards her lap, the tear in her dress drew her eye. The First Blade wants what I have. Elia didn't know if that meant the Amyrlin Seat or being Supreme Leader, but the message was clear. Whoever the First Blade was, he wasn't interested in her as a person. Coercion or Compulsion or just normal manipulation could have brought her to heel. No, he wanted her position for himself, or for one of his lackeys. Picturing Audreyn or Joane as the Amyrlin would have been laughable yesterday, but they both had the same powerful benefactor. Ambition explained why they were willing to kill her in the middle of the day. Ambition would ensure that they would try their hand at it again.

Placing the Oath Rod on her lap, Elia slid her Great Serpent ring off her finger and placed it on the couch beside her. She took hold of the Oath Rod again, gripping it tightly in her left hand.

"Dax, Fiona. Oh sorry, Dax, release her." She had completely blanked the waves of dread and panic that nestled in the back of her head, assuming them to be her own. Apologies would need to come later, however. She quickly had both of their attentions, and she raised her hand for both of them to see the Oath Rod.

"I'm ready to forswear all of the oaths that bind me." The thought filled her with some of Dax's shared dread. Elia had borne witness to countless Darkfriends forswearing their Oaths. For those that had only been Oathsworn for a few hours, the discomfort of removing their Oaths was soon forgotten. Others, who had walked in the Light for years, had screamed until their throats were raw and their stomachs were empty. After twenty-five years, Elia knew she was going to lean more towards the latter camp than the former.
Image Image Image Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » June 1st, 2018, 8:50 pm

Dax
Elia took her time. Dax had lived with her long enough to recognize the signs of extreme conflict as she moved about, but for once he couldn’t wrap his mind around why it was difficult. Dax had never considered becoming a Darkfriend, no matter how desperate his situation. There were limits to what even a mercenary was willing to sell for gold, and that had been his. Surely if Elia did not want to serve the Shadow, renouncing her Oaths -for surely she had sworn some- should be easy?

When the order came to release Fiona, it was delivered as nearly an afterthought. That brought with it a whole new slough of unhappiness, although Dax immediately loosened his grasp. He kept his face turned away as he steadied the Andoran; he thought if he looked at Elia he might cry outright, and he had no desire to make such a spectacle of himself. When he did dare turn, he put his full attention on the ter’angreal in her hand. Please, love.

“I’m ready to foreswear all oaths that bind me,” Elia said, as if reading his mind.

Dax’s knees threatened to give out entirely. He exhaled sharply and let his weight shift backward; if not for the desk behind him, the Tairen would have fallen to the ground. “Thank you,” he whispered, white-hot relief coursing through every fiber of his being. He knew that renouncing oaths did not automatically mean she was no longer a Darkfriend….but Creator help them all, it was a step in the right direction.

Fiona faced the Amyrlin, one hand held over the Oath Rod. “Then speak the words,” she said in a sedate tone.
Image Image Image Image

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » June 4th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Elia
She steadied herself with a few deep breaths, then licked her lips. This is going to be unpleasant.

"I, Elia Darrow, forswear all of the oaths that bind me."

A thousand needles appeared from nowhere and delved deep into her mind. Vines entangled her, driving thorns deep into her flesh. There was a bestial howl that filled her ears. Combined with the pain, she was terrified. Hands seized her shoulders, then a force gripped her torso. It was like an Ogier was crushing her in its arms.

She shook bodily, trying to break free from the trap, but she was pinned. "I'm here," the Ogier roared. Hot tears rolled down her face. Her struggling stopped as utter panic froze her to the core. Everything that had happened and was happening was simply too much to bear, so she surrendered to the fear and the pain.

Like stepping out of the antithesis of Healing, the agony faded after an eternity. There were still other pains, mainly in her throat and her bad arm, but it was tolerable compared to the needles and thorns. Her vision returned to find Dax holding onto her. Not an Ogier. Fiona had been moved aside, but the Green still held onto the Oath Rod, and she still looked determined. Elia found herself staring into the Andoran's blue eyes, trying to remember a time when she needed comfort more than she did at this moment.

Finally, Dax released her, but all of the Amyrlin's attention was on Fiona and the ter'angreal she held. The pretty woman held all of the power in the room. It seemed like she held an absolute authority over Elia's fate.

Elia gestured with her good hand, and Fiona approached with the Oath Rod. A thin silver flow of saidar flowed into it. Elia reached out with a shaky hand to take hold of it once again. She knew the words she needed to say by rote.

"I vow to speak no word that is not true. I vow to make no weapon with which one man may kill another. I vow never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defence of my life, the life of my Warder, or another Aes Sedai." Each vow brought with it an uncomfortable sensation like she was wearing a bodice that was strung too tight, except that feeling was across her entire body.

She wasn't done. Hand still gripping the slender ivory rod, Elia spoke again. "I vow never to reveal the secrets of the Black Ajah unto the hour of my death."

Her fingers loosened as Fiona stepped away with the Oath Rod. Elia was still shaken. Her emotions were raw and out of control. She sat backwards, unable or unwilling to hold herself upright.
Image Image Image Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » June 4th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Fiona
It was entirely unfair how quickly Dax moved. Elia’s body twisted in his arms, contorting in ways the human form simply should not. Is it like that every time? Fiona gnawed on the inside of her lip as she looked on in horror.

Will she swear the Three Oaths? The Amyrlin wore the Oathsworn pin. She had to swear something, or declare to the whole Tower she had chosen to release herself. That decision always came with a plethora of questions and investigation that Elia would not have time to prepare for. It seemed unfathomable she would take that route, but... Will she...won’t she… A coin flipped in emptiness, and time stood still.

Fiona almost didn’t notice the gesture when it came. She approached cautiously, eyes on Dax. The Gaidin still had one hand on Elia’s waist, but his eyes were slate gray and flat. Would he move so quickly to protect Fiona if the Amyrlin attacked? Light, I hope so.

There was no need to fear. The Three Oaths slipped from the pretty woman’s lips and Fiona’s shoulders dropped in relief. Thank the Creator. A whole new host of problems would arise now, however. Elia had been Black Ajah. Oaths or not, she had crimes to pay for, secrets to divulge. She could single-handedly-

The fourth oath fell into the silence and the coin landed on its edge. Fiona nearly dropped the Oath Rod in her shock, her fingers tightening around the ter’angreal by instinct alone. She stepped back for space, mind whirling, grasping for any explanation or solution to this new conundrum. Betrayal flashed across Dax’s face, then his eyes shut and his jaw clenched. He still caught his lover when she sat back, however, his hands fumbling as if he didn’t quite know what he was doing.

Her thoughts tumbled like dice. Dice. Time for one more gamble. Everything depended on Dax being a better man than anyone believed he could be.

Fiona channeled once more, faster than she ever had before. “I swear to speak no word that is not true,” she said. Dax and Elia froze, heads turning to look at her. The second Oath settled in; the sensation was wholly unpleasant, but nothing she couldn’t handle.

“I am not a Darkfriend,” she continued clearly, “and I do not intend to kill Elia or anyone she has bonded. I foreswear all oaths that bind me.” The sensation that swept through her reminded her of a terrible sunburn and stubbed toes, snapped fingernails and papercuts. Painful, irritating, short lived; curious...and entirely irrelevant to her goal.

“You can’t hurt me...and don’t bloody force your Warder to do your dirty work,” she said sharply, “he believes in you, Elia. For the love of the Light, prove you’re worthy of it.”

She padded away, straight-backed and chin held high despite the tension crawling through every particle of her being. Every step could be her last. Light, what have I done? She reached the door without incident and paused, looking back at them. “I will keep your filthy little secret,” she said. “I will lie to protect it if I must. However, it would be most...unfortunate...if Dax or I were to meet an untimely demise.”
Image Image Image Image

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » June 4th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Elia
There came the nausea, and it was nothing to do with forswearing Oaths. There was a flash of green and white and then the door closed behind Fiona.

Or the door closed on Dax and Elia.

The bond was a blur. Separating her emotions from Dax's was impossible. In her gut, there seemed to be this bottomless canyon. Or was it in Dax's gut?

She struggled to piece together a solid thought, but when it came, she gave it voice. "I will release you from your bond if you desire it." Her first words spoken as an Oathsworn.
Image Image Image Image

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » June 8th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Dax
Elia’s voice broke through Dax’s contemplation of the door before his rage could black out the world. “I will release you from your bond if you desire it.”

Dax blinked, realizing with dazed confusion that he still had one hand on the Aes Sedai’s waist. He could feel the tension beneath his fingers as clearly as he could feel it over their bond. The bond itself seemed barren, gray and tan and flat expanses into nowhere. Or perhaps a wall. Elia was...what was she? For a moment he floundered, then let the thought go.

For once, the Tairen did not immediately respond despite the words on the tip of his tongue. Instead, he carefully extracted his hand and stepped away. Elia’s expression cut to the bone, but he turned regardless, shoulders squared against the flutter of blue he felt through the bond. After a moment of hesitation, he walked into the personal suite they now shared, ignoring the prickles on his skin as he passed through the door. Elia did not follow- but then, he hadn’t expected her to.

The silence enveloped him, warm and welcoming. Dax stood quietly for several minutes, mind whirling, before the washstand drew his attention. He splashed cold water on his face and rubbed his hands vigorously up and down, then glanced up at the mirror, water still dripping from his chin. Nothing unusual to see there, though he had half expected to see someone else entirely staring back at him. His thoughts settled a little at the sight, however. Nothing has changed, not really.

Dax went to the side table and poured wine into a delicate crystal goblet, filling it well past the acceptable level dictated by culture. He admired the color for a breath or two, his thoughts ranging far outside the confines of the chamber. He had much to consider, though not, perhaps, what Elia expected him to be thinking on.

Elia turned to face him as he returned, and Dax both felt and saw her bracing for whatever came next. The Tairen’s mouth curved up in a lopsided smile as he handed her the wine. “Drink,” he said. She didn’t seem to grasp what he wanted, so he lifted her good hand and wrapped her fingers around the goblet. “Drink,” he repeated. “Now.”

He watched her with pointed gaze and did not speak until she did as commanded. Then he shoved his hands in his pockets and faced his lover head on. “I knew exactly what I was doing when I asked for your bond,” he said. “I knew what you were even then, and I knew what it might mean for me. I didn’t think-” he glanced away, jaw working, but after a moment he looked back, “the reality hurt a lot more than I expected, but only a fool could knowingly bond a Darkfriend and expect to avoid pain.”

He lifted one eyebrow, tilting his head as he studied her face. “I will keep my oath, love. My question for you is this: are you a Friend of the Dark?”
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik