Afanen's Induction Interview (Attn: Jenn)

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: Afanen's Induction Interview (Attn: Jenn)

Post by Craig » August 22nd, 2016, 9:44 am

Ravak
Rav watched the transformation overtake Afanen. It was subtle, but her eyes seemed to harden, and the set of her jaw changed. He didn't know what to make of it, nor the cause of it, but he anticipated the answer before it came. "I want to sign on to become a Gaidin."

It was Ravak's turn to pause. He had the right to refuse people from joining the Warder Yards if he had good cause. Her fair imitation of a scared mouse could just about be reason enough, but he had seen the twisted finger and the scars. The girl's seen combat before. Rav wondered what sort of response he'd get if he threatened her. People either fought or ran when pressed, and something about this defiant response made him think she was a fighter. Finally he nodded.

"Very well Afanen Vallen, no-need-for-the-miss," Rav grinned. "I just have a few questions to ask for my records." He pulled out a ledger protected by a blue dust cover, and opened it to where a ribbon marked a blank page. Rav took up his quill and activated the ter'angreal by dipping it into the inkwell. A thin stream of ink ran from well to quill. "Right, Afanen Vallen... Altara... Tell me, do you have any training with weapons? I've a feeling to know your way around a dagger." He paused for an answer, making illegible marks on the page. "You're joining to become a Gaidin, but what about being a Warder?" Rav glanced up from the ledger. "I imagine that isn't something you've yet considered, mm?"
OOC: Sorry it's short. I didn't want to go too far ahead as I sense a powder keg's in the room with Rav.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jenn
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Zarius "Zeen" Iiro, the M'Hael
SC: Afanen "Affie" Vallen, Novice

Post by Jenn » August 25th, 2016, 2:58 am

Afanen
Afanen frowned a little, settling herself down on the very edge of the chair across from the Master of Training. Questions. She hated questions, but she supposed there wasn’t anything to be done about that now. She took a little breath and did her best not to fidget.

“I know how to use a dagger,” she replied quietly, evasively. “The sharp end goes into the soft parts, if that’s what you mean. And no, I’ve never had any training. No one really teaches people like me.” There usually wasn’t much time beyond grabbing whatever was close at hand, either. Chairs, mugs, trays... stones... She had even used a ragged rickety parasol once. Earthenware was especially good since it wasn’t as fragile as fancy porcelain and stood up to several solid hits before cracking. She shrugged abruptly, using the gesture to cut herself away from her emotions.

Her hands twisted into her lap and she stared at the spot on Ravak’s forehead just above his brows. “I... no, I’ve never thought of becoming a Warder.” She wasn’t entirely sure what that meant, but... it probably had to do with the people she had seen outside the office. “But I can learn. What... what do I have to do?”
OOC: This is short too. >_<
Image Image
Jenn's Tracker - come write with me!

"Gravity has a way of humbling a man."

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 27th, 2016, 11:53 am

'Muscles'
Rav frowned in concern. He didn't like the divisions between people that needlessly separated one person from another. The phrase 'people like me' did not sit easy on his shoulders. He had dealt with cowardly nobles and brave peasants; leaders without an army and armies without a leader. The Tower had divisions, but that was by skill or rank, and had nothing to do with nobility or wealth or background.

His tone was fatherly. "Afanen, whilst you are within the walls of the Tower, you will be treated the same as any of my other students. From the highest to the lowest born, each are judged on their own merits. I don't show favouritism, because airs and graces and coin don't keep you safe in the world. And I would see that everyone is trained so they can be safe, so they have the tools at their deposal to protect themselves and those they guard."

He smiled, writing in 'Daggers' on the page. "As for being a Warder, well, that's taking that duty of protection to the next level, but that decision is also quite a ways off. Just something to think on." He added 'Undecided' on the next line.

"What do you have to do?" He grinned at that. "Well, first thing's first, I need you to sign here." He turned the book around to face Afanen. "Just make you mark on this line, and you will be a Drin of the Warder Yards and the Grey Tower." Rav offered the quill feather-first. "After that, we'll go for a stroll, then you can come back here for food."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jenn
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Jenn » August 31st, 2016, 6:23 am

Afanen
Dark eyes regarded the Master of Training, her gaze becoming uncertain as she glanced down at the odd feather in his hand. Afanen had an idea of what to do with it, but... well what was her mark anyway? She frowned before shaking her head slightly. It could be anything she wanted... but... creating something new felt like... cheating somehow. It could be only one thing then, the same symbol she had scrawled in whatever was at hand on walls, doors, dirt, to mark what was hers.

The small girl reached out with her nearest hand and grasped the feather awkwardly, eyebrows lifting as it felt... strange. Heavy. This was like no feather she had ever encountered. Maybe it was from some giant bird.

The feather doesn’t matter. Sign. She wasn’t entirely sure where that voice came from, but it made her spine snap straight, her mouth setting stubbornly. Her fingers curled around the strange feather, forming a little fist over it as she made a clumsy spiral where Ravak indicated. It was as good as anything else she could have done and the Altaran watched the crooked loops and sworls of ink glisten on the page. That... had felt good. Not so bad.

“Is... that okay?” she asked hesitantly, handing Ravak Gaidin back the quill. At his affirmation that it was, she relaxed abruptly and smiled a little at him in return. “I’m ready for the tour.” There would be food afterwards! She looked around the room and remembered abruptly that she had broken the pot of honey. And spilled the cup of tea. The fancy porcelain was still laying where it had fallen. “I’ll... I can clean that up. Help pick up the pieces.” She pointed quickly at the mess, cheeks flaming. “I’m sorry I broke it.”
Image Image

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » September 5th, 2016, 11:20 am

OOC: I'm thinking done? We can pick up on Affie and Rav's relationship post-MRP (if he survives) if you desire?
Image Image Image Image

Jenn
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Jenn » September 6th, 2016, 12:59 am

OOC: Sounds good! I shall pray for Rav's... uh. Hm. Wait. I need guidance. Am I rooting for him to survive or to... not? >_> <_<
Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik