[Complete] Danos' Enlistment Interview

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

[Complete] Danos' Enlistment Interview

Post by Craig » March 2nd, 2016, 3:09 pm

Mordjen
One of the guards on duty jabbed the other one roughly and viciously in the ribs. "Oi, you know fine well that Master Darrow'll skin ye alive, if ye let one of his pups stray, Heb."

Heb grunted in nothing that approached agreement, then growled at the other guard. That one threw up his hands in exasperation with a loud sigh. "Fine," he muttered, turning to the new arrival. "I'm Mordjen. Pleased t' meet you. I'll take you to where you need to be. If you will follow me, please?"

Mordjen stepped out in front, taking comfortable but ground-eating strides. As he walked, he chattered amiably with the newcomer. The entrance road was somewhat long, and Mordjen only went halfway down before veering off to the right. He cut across a field towards a large four- or five-story building, what looked like a dormitory, that faced the tall glass Grey Tower itself.

"I never tried to be a Warder myself," Mordjen continued. "My wife Liz, bless 'er. Well, she would probably cry herself to sleep every single night if I told her I wanted to try to get myself bonded to some fancy lady Aes Sedai." The guard chuckled at that, then cleared his throat after stealing a glance at the man striding alongside him. "No no, I watch the front gate, and help carry firewood when there are special occasions. That is more than enough connection to the One Power for me, yessir. But if I could learn some of the way of the Warders, like how they fight with their empty hands, I would very much enjoy learning that. I think it would make me better at being a guard." Mordjen seemed to be lost in his own thoughts for a moment, his pace slowing briefly.

"Anyways," Mordjen perked up, "Master Darrow said he would be seeing to inviting me and some of the boys to a class with his trainees. So I am sure that will come about when the time is right. Master Darrow always seems to be busy, but I think he's a goodly soul." They were walking into a hard packed dirt yard, between three buildings spaced far apart. To their immediate right was a barn-sized building all on a single story, with a few people around it. The men and women practicing various forms of fighting styles were spread from there all the way across the Yard to a matching building at the other end, equally untrafficked. To their left was the large dormitory hall, and it was towards a large set of doors that Mordjen led them. "Master Darrow is a good man, but a hard man too. Don't be letting on what happened with Heb back there, if you please. He's a trial for most, but this Tower is probably the only thing keeping him from finding an arrow with his name on it. He didn't mean no harm; I'll keep on at him. The Master of Training's office is upstairs." Mordjen pointed at the set of stairs that ran central through the large lobby. The foyer had a tiled floor and wood panelled walls, with several tables, chairs and benches set out, occupied by groups of trainees in the various greys of the Warder Yards.

Mordjen turned and clasped his hands behind his back, bouncing up once on his toes. "He usually has open hours in his office from a couple of hours before High, until a few hours before Low, if he's not out running an errand. If he doesn't happen to be there right then, there is usually a book with a pen. You can scribble a request for a meeting, and then come back. Right now, it is about four hours after Early, so he is probably already there." The guard grinned broadly, and nodded. "It is good to welcome you to the Tower. Good luck!" Patting the newcomer jovially on the shoulder, Mordjen retreated back the way they had come.
Ravak
The Master of Training, Ravak Darrow, lounged in his leather-backed armchair, a book on his lap. The afternoon was as cold as a Shienaran winter, with the window shut to shelter against the elements. Behind his chair and his desk roared a fire in the large fireplace, filling the room with heat. A close to uncomfortable heat, although not a bead of sweat sat on the Warder's face. He had learnt that trick from his bondmate, during an excursion in the Blight. He could feel the Red sister, across in the Grey Tower proper. She wasn't in her study for a wonder. Somewhere in the western part of the Tower. That likely meant the Infirmary, although without stepping out to the balcony, he couldn't be entirely sure. Wherever she was, she felt satisfied. Maybe accomplished was more accurate. It was still a fresh bond, and Kaia Sedai was still quite a mystery to him. Rav let his curiosity slide, returning his focus to those things within sight.

The room's furnishings had changed significantly since his predecessor's departure. It wasn't an intentional slight against Ferran nor Ubriel, although for the latter, the warmth and comfort she had brought to her role as Mistress of Training wasn't the way he was accustomed to. Aside from his chair before the fireplace, there was also a desk covered in neat piles of paper, most notably adorned by an iridescent quill and inkwell. That was a ter'angreal, an absolute rarity for even a Gaidin to possess. Like the chair and most of the room's other pieces of woodwork, the desk was Shienaran in style, if not in manufacture. Hard edges and clean lines were everywhere, all built from solid oak. It had solid sides as opposed to spindly legs, so his sword-breaker was completely hidden from view between the desk and the fireplace. A weapon rack in one corner held most of his other weapons. The Tower-forged longsword was placed so that the Flame and the Fang on its crossguard was visible. Beside it rested a long quarterstaff made of silvery wood. Beyond a second table covered in more sheets of paper weighed down by various throwing dagger, a small stand for a teapot and cups, and a Taraboner rug, there were no further furnishings in the room. Notably, there was nowhere for anyone to sit, aside from his own chair. That was Ravak's demeanour in his role as Master of Training. Not necessarily an austere man, but a man you shouldn't get comfortably around. Not if you were a Drin'far'ji or a Ji'alantin, at least.

Ravak heard the floorboards outside of his room creak. Not everyone would pick up on that, but this was his office now, and he was used to its quirks. He placed the book in a desk drawer, page marked by a letter opener. His right hand moved to the hilt of his sword-breaker as he waiting to see who was approaching.
OOC: Post Danos' perspective of the guard showing him to the Warder Hall, continuing into the Master of Training's office and his approach to the open door.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Damien
"Lord of Chaos"
PC: Danos
SC: Corben

Re: Danos' Enlistment Interview

Post by Damien » March 2nd, 2016, 8:17 pm

Danos al'Sheen
Danos arrived at the gates to the Grey Tower. Looking at the glass tower and grounds, Danos took a moment to let the grandeur of what he was undertaking wash over him. The Aes Sedai never mentioned the Tower would feel like a fortress. Light where do I even go from here, thought Danos as he carried his pack and approached the gates.

Immediately he noticed the exchange between the two men, and as the one guard led him into the complex, Danos let the man's friendly chatter wash over him. It reminded him of the innkeeper back home, always willing to bend an ear. "Your wife sounds like a good woman. I know my Mother wasn't too keen on the idea herself. But with an Aes Sedai standing in the wood shavings, looking regal as a Queen, it's hard to say no," said Danos as he followed Mordjen past all the students exercising in the yard.

"I can't imagine getting to learn all of the Warder's trade. And who knows how long it will be, but perhaps I can help with your empty hand fighting. At least once I know the ins and outs of it myself. Thank you Mordjen, and don't worry I won't mention Heb" said Danos as the guard led him into the building and waved the way up the stairs. Danos smiled, he liked the open jovial nature of Mordjen, and he hoped the denizens of the Tower were warmer than he'd imagined.

As he took he stairs, Danos could feel the eyes of other students upon him. No doubt they were wondering who the new arrival was, and Danos was the door before he knew it.

With his heart in his throat, Danos attempted a deep breath to settle his nerves, while wringing the parchment Marzell had provided him with in his hands.
"Wise men fear...the anger of a gentle man" -Rothfuss

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 3rd, 2016, 1:31 am

Ravak
Ravak watched the doorway for a few moments, briefly puzzling over whether he had misheard the sounds of creaking floorboards. Unlikely. He shifted in his seat, drawing himself up straight. He may have liked to slouch and sink into his chair, but that didn't do for the Master of Training.

"Come," he beckoned. If it had been an Aes Sedai or an Asha'man, they wouldn't have waiting on their heels fretting for so long. If it's Amayani or Riahana, or even Da-

That thought ended as soon as the figure entered the room. He wasn't garbed in the greys of the Warder Yards, nor the black of a soldier or Dedicated. Rav couldn't help but lean slightly forward in curiosity. A new recruit? Whomever he was, he clutched at a piece of parchment like it held his family's honour.

Rav waved him in without a word, gesturing for the man to hand over the item in his hands. He was quite a tall man - Light, he must be on-par with an Aielman - although he was clearly not from beyond the Spine of the World. Some southerner, likely an Andoran from the looks of things. Wherever he was from, he had some muscles already. That may help him to start off with.

As the new recruit approached his desk, Ravak fixed him with a hard, steely-blue eyed stare. As much as the warm reception that Ubriel had laid out for him on his first day in the Warder Yards had soothed his fragile spirit, it was his duty as the Master of Training to separate the able and the willing from the chaff. The Borderlands had stood for so long because hard men and hard women guarded its borders. The Gaidar and Gaidin of the Warder Yards had to be twice that and more. They served Aes Sedai and Asha'man, people who could truly shape the world in a way no single soldier could. Ravak Gaidin wanted the best for his Tower, and if they meant he had to imitate a stern matter, so be it.

"What's this?" Rav softly growled as the Andoran finally handed over the parchment. His voice was like steel running across coarse gravel. "Marzell Sedai, mm?" It was a considering sound, and not at all kind. He allowed himself to read through the letter two or three times, giving the recruit a long moment to sweat and worry.

Finally Rav lowered the paper to his desk. "It's not often that an Aes Sedai puts forward a new recruit. Most people who come through that doorway for the first time look like they need a hot meal, a bath, and new clothes all at the same time." The Shienaran opened one of the drawers on his desk, and retrieved a large ledger with a blue dustcover. "My name is Ravak Gaidin, the Grey Tower's Master of Training. You may refer to me as Ravak Gaidin or Master Darrow." Master Darrow would have been formal for any commoner, but with the title of Master of Training, it still sounded appropriate to his ears. "What's your name?" Once he got his answer, there was little need to ask where he was from. The accent was evidence enough.

Rav settled back in his chair. "I have some questions for you, and I don't expect one word answers. What brings you to the Grey Tower for training? As an Andorman, why did you not go to the White Tower, or join the Queen's army? And do you plan on becoming a Warder, with all of that entails, being bonded to a channeller until the end of your days?" He tried to make that last sound grim, but the knot of consciousness that was Kaia Sedai buzzed with amusement. She was no doubt feeling his put-on sternness, and was undoubtably saying something about the "dear boy". He suppressed a wince, smoothing his face into a stony visage.
OOC: Please make sure that you answer the questions posed above. Principally, make sure to state Danos' reasons for coming to the Grey Tower, and whether and why he intends to be an unbounded Gaidin or a Warder. If you have any questions for Ravak, feel free to ask in your response.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Damien
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Damien » March 3rd, 2016, 6:50 pm

Danos al'Sheen
Danos heard the gruff command the enter the doorway, and realized he had been caught standing on the threshold like a woolbrained village boy. Drawing himself to his full height, he tried to prevent puffing out his chest, hoping instead to merely relay composure and serious intent.

Of course once he entered the office, his composure quickly diminished under the stern gaze of the man sitted before him. He had an aura about him, a coiled energy that had Danos feeling the desk between them would be little advantage if he spoke wrong. Clearing his throat, he tugged at his collar after handing over the parchment. As he waited for the stern faced man to read through Marzell's words, he could feel the sweat beading in the small of his back. The room was uncomfortably hot, and since the fire Danos had little use for heat, preferring the cool kiss of the air. "Danos al'sheen, Master Darrow. I arrived from Jornhill in the Braem woods just this morning," answered Danos, coughing as the heat dried his throat out.

Once Master Darrow sat back, Danos relaxed a little. If the letter had not been enough, he knew he would have been drubbed out on his ear. He stopped tugging at his collar and sleeves, and listened intently to the Masters words. Once the questions had ended, Danos chewed his lip as he considered his answers.

"First Master Darrow, if I am honest I had never considered myself a warrior. My village had been blessed with peaceful days, the Queen's men and our relative backwater status keeping the worst of trouble from our doors. Of course we heard the news from peddlers, and the like; but with an apprenticeship to my Uncle and family it seemed more important to stay," said Danos as he looked around the room, taking a respite from Ravak's intense gaze, "However, that all changed the night of the Fire. As the letter states, there was a fire in the stables; it was utter chaos with men and women screaming, flames consuming the building and I heard the screams on animals inside."

Danos clenched his fist as he remembered that night, the flames and the heat, even the smell of horseflesh seemed to once again fill his nose. But he was able to shake off the worst of the recollection and continue his story, "I never thought twice. I would later find out it was merely a colt trapped in the stable, but when I thought I heard a person's voice crying out in terror, I leapt into action. The timbers were large, but the fire had robbed them of much of their strength, so I became the arch they needed to get the animals out. When I awoke, Marzell Sedai was present. She and her warder had arrived late that evening, drawn in haste by the sight of flames over the river, and she arrived to see me collapse from the burns. Her healing saved my life, and we spent many evenings in discussion after that. I felt it was the least I owed her," said Danos as he smiled. He had learnt a great deal about the world from Marzell, including how truly small Jornhill and it's people were. But more importantly, how even the smallest rock can jar a wagon from the rut, if it's strong enough thought Danos as he recalled her advice.

"Marzell had served in the White Tower she told me, however she had grown disenchanted with it, and with the rumours she had heard of the Grey Tower, she recommended I come here. She said she had heard of the Grey Tower being a bastion in the borderlands, fighting where the other Towers squabble over politics. She was of Green Ajah, and so stressed the importance of a soldier, even if it was only one more in the fight. So that is why I arrived here, rather than the Queen's army. Marzell taught me that a single Aes Sedai can be worth more than platoons of men, and a single Gaidin can save the battle by keeping the Aes Sedai safe," Danos finished as he waaved towards Master Darrow's weapon display.

"I hope to prove worthy of an Aes Sedai, and aid the Light through our bond. But if I am meant to lead unbonded men into the fray, I will tackle that challenge with no less fervor," Danos finished firmly. Taking a deep breath, he attempted to center himself as Marzell had taught him.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 4th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Ravak
Ravak glanced back down at the letter again, to read it a fourth time, then looked back up at Danos. "You have considerable bravery, leaping into a fire like that. Most people avoid danger if they can." A image flickered in his mind of a blonde woman, leading a charge on horseback into a band of Trollocs. Bravery was not always rewarded. "It was fortunate that this Marzell Sedai found you, by all accounts. I've seen what Healing can do."

The Shienaran Gaidin turned the blue ledger towards the other man, opening it on the page marked by a crimson ribbon. "If you wish to join the men and women of the Warder Yards, you need only make your mark here." Rav pointed at a spot on the page with his right hand, whilst he dipped his iridescent quill into its matching inkwell with the other. He offered the quill to Danos, and took it back as soon as the man had signed his name.

Rav placed the quill ter'angreal back on the table. "Danos al'Sheen." His voice was ceremonial in tone. "You have just taken the first step on the path towards the fancloak. A small step. You'll have a few days to pick things up, but the training process will see you getting the proper training in whatever weapons you choose." The Gaidin's voice turned hard. "I shall warn you now, you will be hurt. You will be broken. Even practice weapons can leave their mark, and their sting with be unkind. You've experienced Healing before, and you shall again." If the Andoran balked at any of that, let him. Rav spoke the simple truth - he had lived for months with his body a colourful tapestry of blues and browns and yellow bruises. "You shall also undertake daily lessons in the strategy and tactics of warfare, and you will acquire skills that will help you to survive in the wilds and become self-sufficient, not just for yourself, but for those under your care and protection." "I hope to prove worth of an Aes Sedai" Rav quite liked that. It was an appropriate way to think of the bond, and the responsibilities it entailed. "You will also be sharing in the chores that keep this place running." He added it like a casual afterthought, although it was the least pleasant truth about being part of the Tower. He had duties rather than chores now, and whilst they were as hard and exhausting, at least he wasn't cleaning chamberpots or scrubbing floors.

The brawny Shienaran rose from his chair smoothly, deftly retrieving his sword-breaker from behind his desk, and his longsword from the weapon rack. The two weapons couldn't have been more different in design, the longsword ornate, the other simple, but he slid them into matching scabbards. "Come," he gestured towards Danos, then towards the door. The fancloak on his back shimmered brown, attempting to merge the Warder in with the walls. They moved back through the Warder Hall. "You have now started your training here at the Warder Yards with the rank of Drin'far'ji. As the Master of Training, you report to me as your superior. Your lessons and other training will be directed by teachers. Some of these will be Gaidin, others Ji'alantin and Ji'dar. Regardless of your rank and theirs, if they are the teacher, you obey."

Ravak led the way back down the stairs into the great foyer. The ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai - the black of the Dragon's Fang conjoined with the so-called Flame of Tar Valon - was inlaid in the marble flooring, a striking impression on any that entered these halls. Leaving through a set of double doors, he continued the introductions without looking to see how far, or if, Danos was lagging behind. "I don't know how much Marzell Sedai told you of the White Tower, but here, Gaidar and Gaidin are equals with the Aes Sedai and Asha'man, not beholden to them. Likewise, you stand equal to a novice or soldier." A slow grin crossed his face. "That said, Drin do have a liberty or two more. As you are pushed to your physical limits, you have free access to the Mess Hall. Novices and soldiers have prescribed meal times, but whenever you need food for energy, you can go to the Mess."

Now out in the biting cold, the sonorous percussion of wood striking wood and barked instructions filled the air. Trainees and teachers were sparring, practicing, and exercising in small groups, whilst others laboured alone out in the expansive yards. "As I said before, you will have to choose a weapon to master. I have my swords, but you can see plenty of other weapons out there. Hammers, axe, pole arms, bows, throwing daggers." The last he emphasised by producing one of his own daggers, seemingly from nowhere. He grinned again, his hard face becoming genuinely warm. "You should consider which weapon or weapons you wish to learn. But you will also need to learn how to use your own body as a weapon." The dagger vanished in a deft piece of sleight of hand. "If you end up disarmed or caught without a weapon, you still have to be able to defend yourself and your Aes Sedai. You will find postings for various classes later, but he sure to look up Unarmed Combat as one of them."

Ravak stood and watched the scenes of training before him. He had a lot of pride invested in the regime that saw all of these men and women practicing before him.
OOC: Please describe Danos' impressions of the Yard and the trainees/trainers as they walk about. Raise anything that catches his attention, or that you have a question about. Make use of the Warder Yards Art Gallery in aiding your descriptions.
Image Image Image Image

Damien
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Damien » March 4th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Danos
Danos was thrilled when Master Ravak turned the book towards him, and indicated with a quill where to sign. Danos took a moment to look at the volume, and found himself looking at the list of names above him. He wondered how many men and women had made their mark, before deftly signing his name.

He listened intently as Master Ravak provided a breakdown of life at the Grey Tower. That there were lessons in weapons and war did not surprise him, but he was surprised to hear of survival lessons as well. One doesn't imagine an Aes Sedai sleeping rough, or eating game caught in a snare, thought Danos as he pictured the glee man's tales.

When Master Ravak mentioned chores, Danos spoke up quickly, "I would ask to be in the Armourt if possible for some of my chores. Working the wood yard at my Uncle's cooperage gave me a better understanding of the trade. As I possess no weapons experience, I would learn of their upkeep, materials to ground my knowledge". Danos had no aversion to other chores, but he knew it would aid him.

Once the Gaidin before him sheathed his weapons and began to escort Danos out of the building, Danos could feel his attention being torn between listening to Master Ravak, and drinking in the scenes before him.

Immediately his eyes were drawn to the symbol on the floor. He knew of the Dragons Fang of course, and that the symbol as a whole meant Aes Sedai, but he was unsure of its significance. He was glad to hear that he stood equal with the other students, and as Ravak explained the ranks he hoped he would be able to keep each straight. It seemed very formal and as they entered the open courtyard, he could see many deferring to him as the Master of Training.

Seeing the pairs of students stretching across the yard, he was struck by the grace of movement, and the speed at which the weapons danced between partners was incredible. He saw many various pairings, and as Ravak pointed out the weapons, Danos could see them being used. It was incredible, and he could feel excitement building as he looked around. "Master Ravak, you mentioned unarmed combat and I will search for that once settled, but who do I report to day to day? There seems like too many students for us to see you each morning. As well, I believe or now I would endeavour to learn the sword, it seems the most versatile to me so far," said Danos as he began to inspect the swords on the training racks.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 5th, 2016, 12:26 am

Ravak
"There is a set schedule to how life operates here. Different hours set aside for training, for classes, and for chores. As I mentioned, there's postings for various classes within the foyer." He indicated back towards the doors they had come out from. "The hours and days will be listed, and you simply need attend, unless the teacher requires a meeting beforehand. Other elements, namely your chores, will be given to you. You'll get used to Gaidin and Ji knocking on your door with instructions, but we'll get to that. As for the sword, you can find trainers for that inside too. I'm one of the instructors."

Ravak beckoned for Danos to follow, as the red-haired Shienaran set off for towards one of the large barn-sized buildings that flanked the practice yard. "You will have a few days to settle into the routine, and in that time, you'll have a better idea of how things work around here." The Master of Training said nothing else as they crossed the space towards the first building, instead taking the time to watch how his students were preparing themselves.

Ravak pushed the door open, moving into the large vaulted hall. "The Weaponry Hall." Along the entire length of the building were racks upon racks of weapons, forged from everywhere between the Aryth Ocean to beyond the Spine of the World. Swords, axes, short bows, longbows, polearms - all of those and other weapons Ravak didn’t know how to use or pronounce could be found here. A couple of Drin were amongst the weapons, polishing them as the Gaidin had personally instructed. He kept a much closer eye on whom he assigned here after the incident.

"We can sort you out with a sword, and more besides. In here, you will find every weapon imaginable, and likely a few that you haven't imagined. Have a look around. Even if you don't take to some, it’s always good to know about what you may face off against. Not everyone in the world uses a sword. Farmers will hit you with shovels; Aiel will pierce you with spears and arrows; and Trollocs...” Ravak fixed the Drin with a stony gaze. "Sufficed to say, you want to be prepared for anything."
OOC: You can find the descriptions of various weapons here, as well as the different categories you can gain Weapon Skill points in. Describe Danos' exploration of the Weaponry Hall and its contents, and again, feel free to ask any questions of Ravak.
Image Image Image Image

Damien
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Damien » March 5th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Danos
Danos followed Master Ravak past the yard of practicing students, trying to absorb all of the notes he was being given. He was glad to hear he would have a few days to settle in and get used to the routine.

Looking over the yard, he could see the fitness of the other students. Clearly one was expected to work hard here, and as he considered the Warder who had accompanied Mistress Marzell Sedai, that made sense. Light knows that man had seemed built of oak and steel, thought Danos as he considered the Master of Training before him.

Once he entered the weapons hall, Danos could feel his mouth hanging open. The sheer amount of weapons here was astounding, let alone the variety.

Racks upon racks of gleaming weapons stood ready for inspection, and although he wanted to look at everything, he knew the more exotic weapons would make him seem foolish.

He stopped at the rack of quarterstaffs, running his hand along the stout lengths and considering the various lengths and thicknesses. Danos could tell that most of them were excellent wood, well lathed and banded for strength. The wood gleamed with polish, and he was amazed the weapons could all be so well maintained.

Although he was drawn to the quarterstaffs, being a little familiar with their use from sparing at Jornhill, and the Polearms looked like a weapon one could use to good effect, he next noticed the swords.

A dizzying array of swords, each with different guards and pommels and varying blade lengths. Looking over the swords, he dismissed the two handed blades. Those seemed too large to be agile enough for what he had seen the students practicing outside. The short stabbing blades felt light enough in his hands, but he worried about having such a short blade when there were much larger ones here.

Finally he settled upon a long sword, the blade looked well made and the leather wrapped around the hilt felt comfortable in his grip. It wasn't ornate, being a practice weapon, but he liked the weight of the pommel at the end and it felt good in both one hand and two. The weight was awkward, but not so much that he felt unsure of being able to adapt.

"I think this is my choice for now Master Ravak", he said as he looked for a belt and sheath.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » March 7th, 2016, 12:30 am

Ravak
Ravak's hand encircled the Drin's wrist before the sword was half out of the rack. "Easy there." In that moment, Rav recalled his father using those words in much the same tone to him when he was young. Light, I'm only twenty-two. It wasn't the first time that he had that thought. There were plenty of Ji, even Drin older than him, but he had a duty of care. Rav reached around the back of the weapon rack, and retrieved a more suitable weapon.

The Gaidin raised his right hand up in front of his face, shifting the practice sword into his left hand. He wriggled the shorn ring finger to emphasise his point. "Until I'm sure you can handle a sword without severing a few fingers, whether yours or others, you will stick to practice swords." He tapped the Drin on the chest with the bundle of lathes. "You can move onto steel when I believe you are good and ready, unless you can convince one of the other Gaidin that you are ready." There was no real heat in his words, but he delivered the instruction firmly.

Rav gestured for Danos to follow, as he made his way back outside. If anything, it had grown a little colder. He suspected it may rain within a hour or two, from the clouds overhead. Assuming no-one meddles with the weather. That was entirely within the realms of possibility, and he'd seen it before.

They crossed the practice yard to the opposing building. From the exterior, it was near identical. The Weaponry Hall had recently been repaired, but the work was hard to spot if you didn't know where to look for it. The doors to the Armoury were open, and the interior held next to no heat. "The Armoury," Rav announced plainly. Like the Weaponry Hall, the whole length of the structure was given over to racks and stands. The near end held the heaviest armour, with plate leading into leather, then onto smaller pieces and shields and other protective equipment.

"Again, have a look around. Don't try donning anything," he chided. "Whilst you're here in the yards ,you will seldom have need for armour. However, if you do have a need and you can't find anything suitable here, there are the forges. The same goes for weapons." Rav tapped the pommel of his longsword; that was Tower forged steel.
OOC: If you need armour descriptions, you can find them here. If you want to write about visiting the forges, you can do. They are ambiguously stated as being "past the Armoury" or "out at the forges", as it doesn't appear on the map of the Tower grounds.
Image Image Image Image

Damien
"Lord of Chaos"

Post by Damien » March 7th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Danos
Danos felt his face flushing as Master Ravak took the sword from his hand, handing him instead a bundle of lathes with the same approximate weight and feel as the weapon he had held before. He realized he had been thinking they would practice with naked steel, Light what a wool headed notion, they probably would bury a student a week at that rate, thought Danos as he nodded his acceptance to the rule. He had no wish to hurt himself or others.

When Ravak led Danos to the armoury, he was once again struck by the wealth of the Grey Tower. Here was more armour than he had ever seen in Jornhill, and all of it sitting for the eventual use of the warriors of the Tower. He idly wondered if the Aes Sedai wore armour at all, or if that would prevent them from doing their power. His eyes were drawn at first to the full plate, the metal gleaming and polished to a high shine. Looking at the numerous pieces, he tried to imagine wearing it and moving in it, a difficult task. The banded armour of leather and plate, he was at least familiar with. Many of the merchant guards who escorted the silver wagons had worn such armour, or the plate cuirasses he saw stacked in neat piles. Again the armour was something he could imagine needing training in, many of the guards had moved as if second nature, but every so often Danos would see a new one pulling at the straps or shoulders.

As Master Ravak mentioned the forges, Danos decided to take a look. As he exited the Armoury, he soon smelled the fire and iron tang in the air he was familiar with. Hearing the bellows and pounding of anvils, Danos found his way to the forge area. He was amazed at the industry he saw there, men in leather aprons banging weapons and other tools from the hard iron. What he assumed were apprentices in their aprons, pushing bellows and filling barrels with oil and water as the metal was plunged in repeatedly. It was a trade he had never witnessed before, Jornhill's smith being primarily concerned with wagon axles and horseshoes or plows.

Danos stopped from going in, the heat of the forge making his skin feel tight and sore along the scars of his burn. However, watched for many moments, drinking in the atmosphere and ability of the men who would one day make the weapon he would bear.

After the moments had passed, Danos returned to the armoury and found Master Ravak once more. "Thank you for the tour of the Weapons and Armour Master Ravak, it was eye opening to say the least. Clearly the Grey Tower is preparing for a trial of immense proportions to require all this", said Danos seriously.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik