[Complete] Some Kind of Monster (Attn: Roan)

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

[Complete] Some Kind of Monster (Attn: Roan)

Post by Craig » February 2nd, 2016, 6:45 pm

Ravak
Ravak carefully extracted the yellow rose from his scruffy mass of hair, and considered it. Elia had threaded it through his mane of ginger, the thorns already removed so it wouldn't catch or scratch. It was reassuring to see that his new status as an unbonded Gaidin of the Grey Tower had done nothing to their relationship. So long as they were in private, that would not be an issue. If she started to mother him in public...

He tucked the flower into his belt, just behind his sword-breaker, and pull his fancloak tightly around himself. Unless someone was able to look through fancloth and steel, they wouldn't spot the delicate edge on the Gaidin's otherwise hard features. Not that he was hard hard. Muscular, but not overly tall, he had filled out his dark grey uniform somewhat impressively. The look of sullenness he had as a Drin had been replaced by a stoic glare. Not a harsh glare, just an impassive one. His face was similarly impassive as he walked back towards the Warder Yards.

Entering the Warder Halls, he found himself a seat by one of the benches near the large fireplace. It was a mild day, not uncomfortable, and less so now that he knew the trick of how to keep cold and heat from showing. He had wrestled with himself about telling Elia. It wasn't a question of trusting her with a secret. She wouldn't go around telling all of the Novices how to mimic Aes Sedai coolness. It was a matter of having one up on his big sister. That was how he eventually decided not to share.

An unfamiliar Drin stopped in front of him with a grim expression. Rav wasn't sure if the grim expression was for him, or if he had been the cause, or if it was just how the boy's face had been arranged. Either way, the dark-haired boy started speaking before he could think much more. "The Mistress of Arms would see you now, Ravak Gaidin."

Something changed in the boy's expression, which must have meant that something had changed in his. Riahana Gaidar wishes to see me? It was Amayani who was the Gaidar Captain. She was his direct superior, at least until he was bonded. That day seemed far off. What in the Light am I being dragged into? As he took the stairs up towards the Mistress of Arms' office, his mind tried to work out the possibilities that this meeting entails. Nothing that had been the result of some misdemeanour, that was for certain. He'd kept his nose clear since returning to the Tower. The lack of Dakson Torellion helped vastly in that. Straightening out the folds in his uniform, Rav rapped softly on Riahana's door with mild trepidation.
OOC: Zero apologies for the title. >_>
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: Some Kind of Monster (Attn: Roan)

Post by Roan » February 4th, 2016, 2:05 am

Riahana Ferria
The one constant in live is change. It was cliche, but it was also true. The Warder Yards was going through a transition. It started with Riahana and Amayani switching roles, followed by Ubriel's departure from her post as Mistress of Training. A great deal of thought and consideration went into who should hold the post permanently, as Ferran was a temporary solution. The Gaidin made it clear he was fillign in until they found someone else for the post.

The decision as to who should become the new Mistress or Master of Training was an important one, as that person would help shape those who came to the Yards and signed the books to become Drin' on their way to attain the Fancloak. One name came up over and over, though part of Riahana was hesitant given past events. There had certainly been growth of character since, and the Aes Sedai he was sworn to protect on his final test to gain the Fancloak spoke very highly of the man.

When Ria heard the light rap at the door, she set her quill down and moved the parchment aside to let the ink dry. "Enter," she called as she pushed back from her desk and stood. Ravak Darrow was right on time, and Ria motioned to two chairs near a fire place that helped heat her office, "Ravak Gaidin, please have a seat. Would you like something to drink?"
OOC: Choices for drink: mulled wine, water, tea other?

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » February 4th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Ravak
Some of the tension vanished when the Mistress of Arms offered him a seat and a drink, over a lecture and some Light-blasted punishment. Not that he had done anything that merited it, but why else would he be called up here?

Moving into the room, he straightened his uniform again self-consciously. "Tea would be good, Riahana Gaidar." He moved towards the chairs by the fireplace, waiting for Riahana to take her seat first. His mind worked hard to think of something to say. Light, am I about to be sent off on some errand to the other side of the world? Thoughts jumped into his head about potential destinations, almost all of which he only knew in books. "It's too early in the day for mulled wine, at least with my constitution." One night in Hama Valon had taught him all he needed to know about his tolerance for drink.

Sitting himself down in front of the fireplace - wouldn't be too unpleasant without the company and with a book - he tried to look as serious and attentive as he could manage. He wouldn't sweat, not from the heat nor from the worry, but his mind fretted.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Roan

Post by Roan » February 9th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Riahana
With a simple nod, Riahana grabbed a tray that was sitting to the left of her desk, and set it on the table between the two chairs. She poured out two cups, offering one to Ravak before setting the other one on the small table to her right. "It is for me, as well, but I've known one or two who prefer it to tea," the Mistress of Arms replied. She was not known for her small talk, as she preferred to be direct and to the point. Her preferred style of communication served her well, over all, though it could be a handicap in the political dance that seemed to entangle so many associated with the Tower.

Ria knew the man across from her had no idea why he'd been summoned to see her. Kaia Sedai's summary of character of Ravak spoke volumes for the Mistress of Arms. As a Ji', he had faced a fade, and not only lived to tell the tale, but took the Myrddraal down. It spoke to the man's abilities and determination, though the ugly business with Dax did not work in his favor. Using what eyes and ears she had (which was more than most might give the rather straight forward Mistress of Arms credit for), she'd learned that he'd grown significantly since then.

Youth and poor judgement tended to go hand in hand. Riahana hoped the Yards taught most who signed the books to weigh decisions carefully, but at the end of the day, a majority of her Drin' and Ji' were not much older than her twins. It was inevitable they would make mistakes and poor decisions from time to time. The event was long in the past now, and everyone she'd spoken to were quick to point out strength of character.

Ferran Gaidin was one of the first to suggest Ravak to take over as Master of Training, and his opinion perhaps carried the most weight in this when it came to choosing. After an initial sip of her tea, Ria set her cup aside, and let her blue eyes settle on his, "I am sure you are curious as to why you've been summoned to see me. I hope you do not have a guilty conscience such that I need to put your mind at ease, Ravak Gaidin." She offered a small, but warm smile, "I have asked you here because there are those who speak highly of you and your strength of character.

"The current Master of Training, Ferran Gaidin, has held the post long enough for his liking, and has asked to step down. I did not expect him to be the permanent replacement for Ubriel Gaidar, though with him resigning as Master of Training, it does put me in a quandary," Ria explained, letting the news start to sink in. "Ferran himself put your name forward as his replacement, suggesting you have the firm but fair demeanor required for the position."

Pausing for just a moment, Ria tilted her head ever so slightly, "So what say you? Would you like to be the first point of contact for those who come to sign the books of the Yards?"

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » February 9th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Ravak
"I am sure you are curious as to why you've been summoned to see me." Rav certainly was, anxiousness tugging at his mind. It was strange to feel anxiety whilst not showing it, what with his stony visage and grey-blue eyes betraying nothing of his thoughts. At least, he hoped he wasn't showing any signs of concern. "I hope you do not have a guilty conscience such that I need to put your mind at ease, Ravak Gaidin." He offered a slight smile in response to her own. No, he didn't have a guilty conscience, but... "I have asked you here because there are those who speak highly of you and your strength of character."

As Riahana continued speaking, more words than he had ever heard from the Mistress of Arms, that sense of trepidation didn't so much wane as it changed into something else. There was shock, for certain. Not at Ferran's departure - the Master of Training had a strong wanderlust as Rav understood it - but that he had been chosen as a replacement. There has to be a better candidate, although there was nothing to say that he wasn't Riahana's second choice - or fifth. Rav could easily see how the trappings of an office would weigh on some people, or prior duties to their bondmate. He wasn't so long in the fancloak to have been bonded, and duty was not something he shirked away from.

Shock changed onto pride. A curious pride, more a sense of honour than one of egoism. Arrogance wasn't a charge that could be laid at his feet, except for on the worst of days. "You have the firm but fair demeanour required for the position." He had never heard that before, at least not expressed in that way. Chiding about being too serious, or bleeding honour, perhaps. Firm but fair? He couldn't refute the claim, but he wasn't about to burst out in self-glorification either.

Pride receded. Master of Training? Me? It wasn't so long ago that he had questioned whether he was worthy of being associated with the Grey Tower; there had been events in the past that made him question a lot of things. Those doubts may have vanished as soon as the clasp of his fancloak had been fitted around his neck - by the woman opposite no less - but he was still quite young. Then again, wasn't Mirin Sedai still young when she became the Mistress of Novices? There had been plenty of flux in the hierarchy of the Warder Yards already. His appointment may not be the most surprising of the lot.

"So what say you?" The Mistress of Arms cut in. "Would you like to be the first point of contact for those who come to sign the books of the Yards?" She did that thing with her head women so often did, although he was still unclear what that tilting expression meant.

Rav didn't miss a beat before responding. "It would be my duty and honour to serve, Riahana Gaidar." He pressed a clenched fist to his breast, and nodded respectfully. "An absolute honour." And it would be. He owed the Grey Tower almost everything. He had come to this place with a couple of swords and a head full of woes and self-doubt. Now he was tempered steel, a weapon to be used against the Shadow. And a man, not some boy wringing his hands on every occasion.
OOC: I would have continued on, but I'm not sure how Riahana would react/respond to that, and Rav may also be a man of few words...
Image Image Image Image

Roan

Post by Roan » February 11th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Riahana
Ria offered a small smile and gave one simple nod, "Very well then. By what powers bestowed upon me as Mistress of Arms, I promote you to Master of Training, effective, immediately." It was almost anti-climatic her, the way she promoted him, but then her own promotion to Gaidar Captain, and then Mistress of Arms were both subdued affairs.

Reaching into a pouch she wore at her hip, Ria pulled something out and held her hand out, palm up. Sitting in the palm was a simple, small gold badge that held the symbol of Ravak's new office. "Along with the title comes this simple badge. . .a token to mark your position of office. Ferran Gaidin handed it to me this morning, as he put your name forward to succeed him." The center of the badge held an image of a hilt of a sword with leafy branches forming a sort of circle around the edge of the badge.

As the new Master of Training took the badge from her, Ria continued, "My advice on the badge? Feel free to wear it when on Tower Grounds, though take care when away from the Tower. . .either traveling, or at the Citadel. Such marks tend to present our foes with tasty targets to site, and when we fight on the line, our position in the Yards matters no more than that of those who stand shoulder to shoulder with us."

She paused a moment, "Ferran Gaidin has stepped down, though he has said he is more than willing to show you what is required of you when it comes to our learning ranks. Know that he, our Gaidar Captain and myself are all here to assist you as you transition into the role."
OOC: No worries. I don't think this need to be overly long, but feel free to carry the conversation in whatever direction you wish.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » February 13th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Ravak
Ravak took the small pin between a calloused finger and thumb, and turned it over with interest. He had noticed the golden badges affixed to the Warder Council's uniform before, but he didn't realise there was a pattern to it; a sword hilt encircled by leaves. Is that meant to represent something? No, that would not be his first question as Master of Training.

What sort of leader should I be? He had never led anyone before; now he was in charge of the training and discipline of the Drin'far'ji, Ji'alantin and Ji'dar. Ubriel was understanding, Ferran was terse. He would come to his own style in time. Time? Ferran Gaidin has already stepped down? He had an office. An office! He would have to change a lot, how much am I allowed to change? But there's a fireplace. I have my own fireplace. I could have my own chair. Would he able to take a chair from the Library? Or... Everyone else has their own pieces of furniture, their own mark. He could have some pieces made in the Shienaran style, with maybe some allowances for artwork or a rug or...

His heart fluttered almost as quickly as his mind as he carefully attached the pin to his lapel, adjusting it so the sword was pointed straight down. If any of his wild thoughts shone through, it was all in his eyes. His face was set to stony stillness. Rav cleared his throat before he gave any of his thoughts a voice. "Riahana Gaidar. If Ferran Gaidin has already stepped down, I assume the office is already vacant? If it pleases you, I will begin acquainting myself with the room." Proper furniture could wait, at least a little while.
Image Image Image Image

Roan

Post by Roan » February 17th, 2016, 3:26 pm

It was not hard to see the wheels turning within Ravak's mind. Some of implications of his appointment to Master of Training were immediately understood, while other parts of the new rank would become clear with time. Ria knew from her initial appointment to Gaidar Captain that there was an initial period of disbelief that they'd select her for such a role, and she suspected the young Gaidin might go through something similar.

She allowed a small smile and slight nod with Ravak's request, "Of course, Ravak Gaidin. Expect a visit from Ferran later today, and if you have any questions, you know where my office is."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik