[Complete] Ravak's Enlistment Interview

The offices of the M'hael, Amyrlin Seat, Master of Arms, Keeper and the MoNSTers
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Re: Ravak's Enlistment Interview

Post by Craig » November 29th, 2015, 2:26 am

Ravak Darrow He listened to Mistress Bryne intently. She was well practiced at this introduction, he reckoned, but she was charismatic and insightful all the same. She answered the question about the oath, without me saying a word. He wondered if she was good at reading faces, and wondered more what his own face displayed. Brushing his shoulders again, he tried to settle his mood and smooth his face, but a smile broke out at the comparison between the non-channellers and the channellers.

"Good to know I'll not starve," he said mirthfully. "I'll try to justify my appetite in the yard." He was eager to get started, even if he wasn't eager to learn how good the Grey Tower's medical facilities were. Having to learn unarmed combat would undoubtably leave him with many bruises; children grew up with training swords in Sheinar, and played with those until they were of age and trained to be trusted with a real weapon. The only person he had ever struck with his hands was his sister, and that had been deserved.

The code of conduct for Drin'far'ji ranged from the incredulous to the mundane. Keeping his room clean was a skill already drilled into him; Rav wouldn't require a visit from the Tower's shatayan or shambayan, or the equivalent thereof. Keeping indoors after dark was also a habit adopted from living so close to the Blight. His cheeks reddened from the foolish notion of getting entangled in a relationship. Distracting relationships. Are there any other type? Light, there are easier ways and places to pick up a girl. And yet Mistress Bryne was involved in a relationship, although that didn't seem to trouble her beyond a slight stiffness in her gait. But she is not Drin'far'ji. He frowned, wondering.

They stopped at an open door, and Rav glared through the doorway. The walls, floor and roof were of the same colour as the surroundings of the hearth in the foyer of the Warder Hall. A single bed, with arched head- and footboards, was made of the same wood. Had he been paying more attention on the approach to the Grey Tower, he may have taken in what the local trees were in the area. There were bundles of linens and clothing and towels laid out on the grey sheets. The men and women in the training yards had worn the same clothing, although some in darker hues.

He was not to be barracked with any other people. That was a surprising development, unless it was simply that they were waiting for the next recruit to come along to partner him with. He frowned, not sure how he would cope in his own company. The journey to Hama Valon had been a solemn one, with only a couple of books for company. He appreciated quiet moments like everyone, but he had always had a sister to contend with, or confide in. He didn't expect to find someone like her here, but he could certainly do with another boarder to converse with.

He stepped into the room, his room, and looked at a large chest sat at the foot of the bed. He unburdened himself of all of his belongings, excluding the swords, and set them beside the chest. He turned back to face the Mistress of Training as he offered him two keys. "Two keys?" he asked.

He listened to the answer with a nod, then moved on with other questions. "Mistress Bryne, what does Drin'far'ji mean? That's the Old Tongue, I'm presuming." He rubbed his nose cautiously. "So I shall undertake classes and practicing with the sword, and with the sword-breaker." The quarterstaff would come later, he resolved. "And in unarmed combat," he added, reluctantly. "If I wished to pursue scholarly activities, is there anyone you would recommend I speak with? And, you said I would need your permission to go from the grounds. How far am I allowed to roam?"
OOC: And then there was a flurry of questions. Out-of-character, I'm assuming the way to continue will be to roleplay with a Ji'alantin/dar+, and the Beginning Unarmed Combat class. Is there a best practice of how to acquire Rav's other Weapon Skills?
Last edited by Craig on December 6th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bree
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Ubriel Bryne, Gaidar
SC: Makenna Grenaldi, Accepted

Re: Ravak's Enlistment Interview

Post by Bree » November 29th, 2015, 9:17 am

Ubriel knuckled the small of her back and told the Drin that the second key was a spare that he could do with as he wished. "Many trainees find a friend or confidante that they entrust with the key so that they can access the room in the occupant's absence. Others simply keep it in a safe location in case the first is lost or broken." Watching him settle in, Ubriel leaned on the door jamb. She was not used to leaning like that but as her abdomen expanded, her tolerance for standing without a break diminished.

"The term Drin'far'ji means Men of Honor. No matter how your training goes, having accepted the rank of Drin'far'ji and undertaken training here indicates honor in your nature. The next step in your training will be to find a suitable teacher for the longsword and sword breaker. You mentioned a desire to pursue the quarterstaff and I would be more than happy to teach you. When you are ready to begin that training, just come see me in my office. As for academic pursuits, the Browns will be delighted to find you tutors in any subject you desire or help you find a class, archived or active. You need only visit the foyer of the classrooms to sign up for any active classes and the library to find information about other topics."

Ubriel paused. It was alot of information and part of the reason she did these tours was to help introduce the expectations and parts of the tower to the newcomers slowly. "Try not to get overwhelmed. I recommend that you visit the classrooms and sign up for unarmed combat training first. You will find the schedule full enough to keep you busy for a while. Once you have grown accustomed to the expectations of life here, you will have had time to meet people who can offer you training opportunities in sparring and exercises. It may seem confusing and overwhelming at the moment but I have no doubt you will fall into the rhythm of things here soon enough." She hoped her smile seemed comforting and reassuring. Most recruits tended to be diffident and not want to acknowledge the confusion and uncertainty that they all felt. She hoped she acknowledged it in a way that did not offend.

"You can leave the grounds whenever you like and many recruits do so in order to visit the Band of Brothers in Hama Valon. Others take long rides or go hunting in the nearby forests. It makes for a nice change of pace and a break from monotony. It is a good idea to speak to me before attempting to leave for a long period. It helps to make sure your training is not interrupted unduly and that any obligations that you have are addressed so that you do not incur more obligations upon your return." Ubriel grinned, hoping her meaning was clear. She had only ever had to deal with two extended leaves without permission and both had been a matter of immaturity on the part of the trainees. "If you decide to end your training here at any time, you are free to go. The drive that brings you here to begin with is usually enough to keep you here, though. Any trouble or problems that you might need to address away from the Tower, we are likely to want to help if we can. We all become family of a sort as we live and train here. Come talk to me with any concerns."

Ubriel waited for a while to allow the Drin to ask any further questions and then she straightened and said, "Well I will let you settle in. You should take a day or two to explore the grounds and observe the training that happens. Get used to the way life flows here. The mess hall usually has a bulletin board where you can advertise for one-on-one spars if you want. You might also find a game of stones there. Let me know if you need anything. I will see you in training." With that, Ubriel turned and walked away.

OOC: Generally the best practice with the sword has been to find a personal teacher. You can post in the tracker and wanted ads board and that usually turns up plenty of responses relatively quickly. We do have a basic swordsmanship class that is being written currently and you may find that helpful once it is ready for students but you may not want to wait that long. Your other pursuits will depend on the pursuit. There are many archived classes and you can always see me about developing a new class if you want to earn skill in a topic that is not already covered. Posting in some of the OOC forums and making contacts or just opening discussions about thread ideas can be a good place to start with character development and RP with other members. Tower Life is a good place to RP just looking around and meeting people. Also in the Warder Yard board, RP of exercises or drills with your weapon can be a good way to find interested parties. Look around a bit and if you have trouble, PM me. It is coming up on the Holidays so the site will slow way down for a few weeks but there is almost always someone around. Have Fun!
ImageImageImage

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik