Just How Big A Boy Are You?

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Zhenquan
SC: Caddoc Svan

Re: Just How Big A Boy Are You?

Post by Eve » December 24th, 2019, 6:27 am

Caddoc noted the swift way the other male caught the practice sword and made a mental note of it. He was at least capable of that. Normally, throwing a sword was not condoned…but on the battle field, if you were disarmed, it was good to be able to think on your toes. He nodded to the male’s words. “Very well.” He said. “Then any strikes to your chest will be counted as half, to take into consideration your usual chain mail.”

With that, he unsheathed his sword, sliding it beneath the hand he had placed at his side to indicate a sheath. He was left handed, which would make this very difficult for the right handed Dreyric. However, it was not the young man’s job to beat him, only to show his skill. He advised him of this now. “Our skill levels are very different.” He said. “And while you should always focus on winning, that is not the point of this exercise. You are only to show how good you can be, so that you may be placed with the appropriate teacher to take your learning even farther. As long as your nerves do not get to you, and you do not try to show off, you shall be fine. Show me what you know, not what you think.” With that, he started to move.

His stance slipped into Cat Crossing the Courtyard as well, and he stepped forward with his left foot. This stance slid into Apple Blossoms in the Wind as he moved, his balance down and his sword slowly moving through the air as he watched the young man. “You may take the first attack.” He told him after a moment.
ImageImageImage Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"
PC: Dreyric Briouse

Post by -RJ- » December 28th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Dreyric's lips upturned just a little for a moment when he was told that he would be able to count any 'damage' he took to be halfed because of what he would usually be wearing. He was defintely strict, but he wasn't unfair, or at least he didn't seem to be yet. This information made him a little more sure that he would be able to continue with this evaluation. He nodded now, to show that he understood what Caddoc told him because he didn't want him to think he wasn't listening to him. That tended to annoy instructors that seemed a lot more lenient then he was so far so he didn't want to chance it.

He then watched closely what happened next, and he noticed quickly that Caddoc appeared to be left handed. That would surely be a peg against him, and he pushed away a slight feeling of anxiety at discovering this. The other spoke again then, advising him of the fact that they were not matched with one another in skill level at all. He found what he told him helped him focus, because it took a little of the pressure away from this. He was quickly getting the feeling as he watched Caddoc that he would not be able to best him, and to know that that wasn't completely expected by him was a good thing in his point of view. "Yes, as long as I can catch and keep the Flame, I should be able to showcase what I can do, Asha'man Svan." He answered in a careful, measured tone of voice.

Then he was told he could take the first attack. He thought about this and continued moving now and he unfolded the fan as his stance shifted as his 'sword' was held point up with the hilt near the shoulder as he assumed 'The Lion on the Hill' stance, moving into that one fairly easily, perhaps suggesting that he'd had some practice with this stance in the past. As he moved in he shifted into the form of 'The Lion Springs', making a thrust of the practice sword outwards and shifted it up at the same time. He concentrated heavily as he did this, and he felt ready for whatever might come at him in retaliation of this attack.
Image Image

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » December 29th, 2019, 5:18 am

As the younger man moved forward with his strike, Caddoc stepped back. His body moved fluidly as if in dance, and his eyes stayed focused upon the younger man. Those eyes no longer danced about, but had steadied completely, the focused fully upon Dreyric at the moment, and upon his eyes. “The Flame is a useful trick.” He told the other. “But I will tell you something that I believe, and so many others do not. You should learn to fight within the Flame and without it. Even for the most experienced Gaidin, there are things that can shake them from that utter concentration that allows them to be more effective. Once shaken out of it, their usefulness decreases exponentially. This is not a good thing. Practice in and out, with and without. Just as one will train their off hand by binding their good hand behind their back, prepare for times when you cannot contact the Flame.”

The other came in, his sword striking up and out. Caddoc’s blade swept around in a fanning motion, going from Low Guard, out and into High Guard. It caught Dreyric’s blade on the outside of it and forced his outward strike back inward. This pressed Dreyric’s sword back towards the young man as he attempted to lock the blades together. “You show good form,” He said, not seeking a strike of his own, as this was not that sort of spar. “Continue.”
ImageImageImage Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » January 7th, 2020, 2:41 am

Dreyric thought about what he was being told. This was a concept he hadn't been taught by his family, but he found he didn't disbelieve it. There surely would be times when he might be knocked away from the Flame or would be unable to hold on to it due to things that may be happening around him. It would be difficult to be able to focus without getting within the Flame but it would be beneficial to him if he could learn to do it. "So I take it that you can perform in a similar way with and without the flame?" He asked, finding that he didn't doubt that, not after he saw how this man was able to move so gracefully like that. He wasn't sure yet what he believed about that, but he was open minded enough to at least feel that what he was talking about was a possibility at least.

Caddoc moved then and started in Low Guard, moving into High Guard now. He caught his blade with this maneuver, and then his practice sword was being pressed back towards him. He felt a bit of excitement when he was told he showed good form, as that was what he was hoping for, but not what he'd really expected if he had to be honest. He went into Willow Embracing the Breeze and attempted to take two steps back after he brought his blade up to go into that form. Then he shifted into The Red Hawk Takes a Dove as he made a moment with the sword now to strike at Caddoc's arm.
Image Image

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » January 7th, 2020, 4:52 am

Caddoc nodded his head. “I have always had trouble reaching what is traditionally called ‘The Flame’.” He told the other. It seemed that when asked questions, Caddoc Asha’man would answer, even if it was personal. However, he offered very little on his own accord. “I have learned to adapt in a different way. Though the reason that I have trouble with the Flame has resulted in a hyper awareness that assists me in similar ways.”

The other broke the lock of their blades with the upward motion of Willow Embracing the Breeze, and Caddoc allowed him to take his two steps back. Then the other’s blade reversed and came back down towards him. He brought the blade up swiftly into Watered Silk, blocking the strike and batting it backwards, aiming to set the other off guard. If this worked, he delivered a kick to the other’s chest with the flat of his boot, attempting to knock him onto the ground, and brought his sword down to catch the other at the chin to keep him from standing again.

Holding the blade to the other’s chin, the Asha’man spoke quietly and slowly. “Be careful when bringing your sword above your head, especially when you are in range of your opponent’s extremities. In battle, one will use everything available to them, including shield, sword, fists, and feet. When your sword is above your head, your balance is off. Do not leave your chest unguarded. With a sword as slender as yours is, you need to practice on your speed, or else switch to something heavier and use a buckler. With that sword speed is your ally, and your most important defense.” He pulled the sword from the other’s chin and stepped back. “Stand and re-assume your ready stance.”

(OOC- It was decided out of character that Caddoc's multiple actions were allowed to show the difference in skill and let him give some feedback)
ImageImageImage Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » January 11th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Dreyric was a bit surprised that he received an answer to his question that was a genuine answer and not simply a command for him to mind his own business, which he wouldn't have doubted coming from this individual. He now wondered why he had trouble reaching it, wondering if it had been something that happened to him, but he did not ask that at the current time. For one, now was not the time for it, and besides that, that was digging a little too deeply, more than likely, and he didn't want to offend him further, not when they hadn't started out in the best of ways all because of his own blunder.

He watched as Caddoc's blade came up into Watered Silk he believed it was, which effectively blocked his attempt to get at the other's arm and also had a combined action of shifting it backwards, becaue of the proper timing and strength of the block. It set him off balance just enough to make him a touch unsteady. He knew he was in trouble instantly, but the other's next action came so swiftly he was unable to correct himself before the kick came to his chest and knocked him right over onto the ground on his back. His eyes widened slightly as Coddoc's sword came down just as quickly and was pointed at his chin so he wouldn't be able to get up. "Well, that escalated quickly." He muttered softly, not sure if he should be ashamed of himself or amused at his perhaps too hasty action which had landed him in this situation in the first place.

Then the other was speaking and he was quiet so he could hear what he was saying. He probably didn't like a whole lot of babbling when he was trying to make a point. He listened closely and nodded. He didn't want to change his choice of weapon, it was something he'd chosen a few years ago now when he'd started really dabbling around with sword play and he was still firm on that decision. However, now he knew that he needed to work on his speed. He nodded at this and responded, "I'm going to need more practice on speed building." He said as he got up then and then went into the stance of the Creeper Embraces the Oak, as he slowly moved around Caddoc. From that stance he shifted into the Falling Leaf and led into the Wind Blows over the Wall, bringing his blade up in a half circle in Caddoc's direction and then he turned it to the side to move it in a horizontal way.
Image Image

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » January 12th, 2020, 4:51 am

Caddoc nodded his head when the other responded to him and climbed to his feet again. Moving back to the starting area, he allowed Dreyric to move into his stance. They began to move, and Caddoc circled along with the other. He kept his stance loose, staying a step or two back from the other as his eyes nailed into Dreyric’s without moving. When the other began to swiftly move his blade from high to low in a series of swift cuts, he stepped back once more, as the move was meant to do. It may or may not been possible to parry these strikes and send him off course, but he needed to see the other’s skill, now that his initial lesson had been made.

Then Dreyric’s sword came in, curving up as if going over his head before suddenly cutting in. Caddoc, being left handed, brought his own sword out, turning the edge so that the flat part took the weight of the parry and did not dull the blade. He hit hard, attempting to bat the other’s sword out and away from harm. Then he stopped. “All I have to do now is reverse my blade and come for your throat, your shoulder, or even your ribs if my strike was hard enough to pull my arm further out. This is where you need speed or a shield. You cannot get your sword back around mine to save you. How will you counter, or avoid, my strike?”
ImageImageImage Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » January 22nd, 2020, 3:07 am

Dreyric focused his attention completely on what was going on, as he didn't want to make a mistake and cause the other to think that he was at a lower ability level than he truly was. He watched as Caddoc's sword came out and the edge of it was turned so he could defend against his attack. His own sword was hit away from its target and then he paused to talk. He informed him of all it would take to bring a quick attack down onto him and he thought fast. He couldn't really ultilize his sword if he couldn't get it around Caddoc's in order to defend against his strike.

"I would quickly step to the side in hopes that you'd miss me entirely." He said, and while he spoke he demonstrated this. He'd had to use movements like this to get him out of tight spots before. After that he went into the stance the Ox Lowers his Horns and he watched the other closely now as he leaned more on his back foot. "So if I may ask, Asha'man Svan, what is your opinion of my current skills? I know they in no way compare to yours, but I do believe I have at least some degree of knowledge on this subject." He said as he watched the other seriously, not knowing what exactly to expect.
Image Image

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » January 22nd, 2020, 5:49 am

Caddoc watched as the other demonstrated how he would avoid the next strike before sliding into stance. He was quiet for a moment, seeming to give thought to the other’s question. Finally, he shifted his weight backwards a touch and straightened up, no longer at the ready. As if to demonstrate this, he ‘Folded the Fan’, sheathing his training sword back into its imaginary sheath and giving the other a nod as if to say ‘we are done.’

“I would say that, for a man of your age, you are skilled enough.” He said at length. “And you show promise. Of course, there is much you need to work on, but what you have so far is a good base to learn if you have the right teacher. Your road will be a long one if you continue it, but a fruitful one. And you seem to have the stubborn tenacity to do just that.” He turned to the side then, never quite facing away from the younger man, and moved towards the weapon rack. “I have seen all that I need to see today. I will tell your instructor what I think of your current skill.” He placed his wooden sword upon the rack and faced the other again entirely. “My suggestion is that we continue these lessons. I already have an idea of where you are in your learning, and could devise further lessons to assist in your journey. And, of course, you owe me Infirmary hours, so it would keep you close at hand anyway.” He cocked his head slightly to the side. “Do you agree?”

((OOC: I hereby state my belief that Dreyric Briouse has enough skill to earn his first point in swords))
ImageImageImage Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » January 27th, 2020, 12:25 am

He noticed that the other was quiet then and he wondered if he was processing what he asked and he felt a bit of anticipation as he imagined wondered what the older male might say. He diligently waited for as long as he could, before he took a breath and was about to ask a little more after the information he wanted. However, after what seemed like an even longer time, the Asha'man Folded the Fan, and he took that as the signal to do the same, so he did, thus hopefully sending the message that he understood what the other was saying with his gesture.

He leaned forward so he wouldn't miss a word of what he said. This was the first time someone outside of the family had given an opinion on his skills with a sword, and he had a feeling that the other was of a considerable skill, without knowing his background, so he really wanted to hear what he had to say. He took in what he had to say and ruminated on it shortly. He nodded, deciding he was pleased enough with that announcement. He watched as he shifted to the side, though never completely away from him. He reached out to hand his own sword to the other in order for it to be put away. There was a slight gleam in te young man's green eyes when he went on to recommend that the lessons with him be continued. Even though the other seemed to be no pushover, he had a feeling he could learn a lot from hm. "I agree most completely , Asha'man Svan, thank you! I will see you in the Infirmary shortly!" He said, grinning slightly as he turned to head out now.
Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik