Scatterbrain (Attn: Vaska)

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Scatterbrain (Attn: Vaska)

Post by Craig » March 21st, 2019, 2:28 pm

Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
As a northerner, Ravak was meant to be comfortable with the cold and the frost, but the first true day of spring brought warmth to his heart that the winter couldn't muster. His gloves remained tucked into his belt as he worked in the Yards, fingers safe to touch his weapons again without the fear of them freezing off. Even with a season encased in protection, the Gaidin's hands were calloused from practising with his swords every day.

In his own corner of the Yards, Ravak worked through various sword forms with what appeared to the junior Gaidin like ease; experience often looked like natural aptitude. But Rav had earned the right to use the two heron-marked blades he wielded, and he had spent every day since ensuring he retained that right. It was part of his duty, knowing how to fight to protect the ones he'd loved. Duty as a Borderlander, not as a Gaidin. It just so happened that he'd bonded the woman he'd loved as well. With his thoughts turning to Mia, Ravak paused in his routine to look towards the Grey Tower. The edifice of stone and glass appeared to be ablaze from the light of the afternoon sun. Looking away, after visions from the light made the world seem purplish.

"Never was the smartest," he muttered to himself, his voice a low rumble. Still a bit blinded, he took a seat on a nearby bench, resting his longsword and sword-breaker over his lap.

He wondered what the day would bring. If it was still good weather like this tomorrow, he would have to take Iain around the gardens whilst the flowers were all blooming. It wouldn't be too long before he could bring Iain into the Yards with him, to train in the sword. This year, however, flowers would have to do. They could pick some out for Miahala, although there weren't many flowers that complimented Mia's nature. Perhaps a segade if they had any here.

Vision restored, Ravak was just about to stand up when his ears detected the faintness sound of bells. His face, usually a visage hewn from stone, warmed to the sound, his lips quirking into a mischevious grin. It had been well known, back when Ravak had been the Grey Tower's Master of Training, that he'd strongly encouraged Arafellin to lose their bells - chiefly by waving a pair of scissors at them. The threat was normally more than enough to command their attention and good behaviour, lest the Shienaran follow through on his threat.

When the source of the bells came into view, Ravak's heart dropped. Not a Drin, but a Novice; there were no playful threats to bandy around here. But the sight of a novice, here at the Warders Yard instead of elsewhere, still prompted a response. "Are you lost, novice, or are you just eyeing up some potential Warders?" It was commonplace to see channellers distracted by the flashing of steel, especially young ones dreaming up magical adventures together. "I jest of course, but you should only be here if you're on Tower business, or you're looking for training. If you're looking for the Tower, it's that big shiny thing-" Ravak had turned to point at the Tower, and in doing so, had once again looked at the reflected sun. He came away blinking furiously as the after image blinded him once more. "-there", he concluded, looking hopefully in the novice's direction.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bantha
"New Spring"
PC: Vaska Reynar

Re: Scatterbrain (Attn: Vaska)

Post by Bantha » April 1st, 2019, 2:20 am

Vaska Hryjorii Reynar
As Vaska strode outside in the warm sun, her long braid swung and her bells jingled merrily with every step. They announced far and wide her presence, and furthermore her heritage, a proud Arafellin even if she had been put in white and prohibited from any other jewelry or adornment. The bells themselves reflected not her love of adornment, rather representing her strong identity as a Borderlander before anything else in her life. She was at the Tower not by choice but by necessity, and made a solemn and private vow resist every attempt to erase her identity or cultural heritage.

She had only been in the Tower a few days, yet already knew that her training in the power was as good as naught at the moment. Within one of the first classes that focused on the closely supervised usage of Saidar, she could not embrace the True Source, let alone willingly be aware of it. The majority of novices could at least manage that much. Eventually arrangements would be made to find a person who could assist her on “breaking” her block. Out of the three choices she was offered for filling her now-unused class time--sitting in on classes she could not participate in, do extra chores, or training in the Warder yards with the drin--the third seemed the most appealing.

In the distance she could see a man practicing sword forms, and even at a great length she could recognize the smooth confidence honed from countless hours in disciplined training. Perhaps it was her trained eye, having been trained in some form of swordsmanship herself. In any case if he paused by the time she came nearer, she would inquire about who exactly she should see regarding her training.

Eventually he did indeed pause, prompting her to hasten her pace to catch him in a hopefully more convenient moment. Her bells jingled even more loudly with her fast footfall, surely alerting this man to her presence before she could properly introduce herself. As she came more clearly into his field of view she caught sight of his stern face, clearly not one to waste his precious time with pomp and gentle propriety towards learning ranks.

As he spoke Vaska regarded him silently with an expressionless mask almost befitting an Aes’sedai. After he pointed toward the tower she squared her shoulders and nearly thumped her chest with her right fist before shuddering, barely stopping herself before she completed the salute. Immediately she dropped into a stiff curtsy, clearly ill-practiced.

“Forgive me, Gaidin, for interrupting. Indeed, I am not here to gaze at Warders-in-training. I am here to receive training if possible, as I was sent here by instructors in the Tower. If you were not to be disturbed, I apologize Gaidin, and merely request to be directed to whom I must speak. ” Was the supposed problem of novices ogling at potential Warders that severe? Or was he merely cross? Vaska was not one to take things personally, and there was likely a good reason this individual was agitated.
Honor is life, for without honor one may as well be dead."
Vaska Hrijorii Reynar

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » April 1st, 2019, 3:28 pm

Ravak
What Ravak couldn't see, he definitely could hear: pride. Even without the bells, that sort of tone denoted pride that only Borderlanders grew up with. He smiled, hopefully in a friendly manner, but his face tended to default towards grumpiness.

"'To whom I must speak'." Rav chuckled. "And not goggling at the Drin and Ji? You're must be new here. Well, you sound like an Aes Sedai already." Standing up, Rav returned his swords to the scabbards on his belt. Waving a couple of heron marks around was either offensive or egotistic, and Rav thought of himself as neither. "I'm Ravak Darrow, fellow Borderlander, although I hail from Fal Dara myself. And as to whom you may speak to, I'm as good as any."

Vision fully returned, Rav gave the novice a glance over. Arafellin, obviously, with those needless bells. Proud, both from posture and facial expression. Honourable probably. Not vain, seemingly pragmatic aside from the bells. He could read in other details as well, like handedness and weight.

He looped his thumbs around his belt. "I'm guessing you've either learned the sword before or have watched people practising for hours?" She didn't seem the type for cross-stitch. "Well, if it's the sword you wish to learn, I can help you with that. Or if you prefer something else, I can point you in the right direction. I tried archery once, thought it a terrible idea."
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bantha
"New Spring"

Post by Bantha » April 4th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Vaska
Vaska did not return his expression or his laugh, although her eyes shone and the corner of her mouth twitched as if she was holding back a smile. Perhaps he was a usually stern individual, but it seemed his mood had lighted a bit, and she was glad it seemed they found some common ground.

As he stood and sheathed his swords, her focus turned to his heron-marked blades. He is a blademaster. He deserved great honor for that, in her mind. She had never seriously dreamed of being a blademaster herself later in life, for a variety of reasons. Yet she could recognize and respect the pinnacle of skill that he had reached and the dedication required.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise when he admitted he was Shienaran. He certainly does not look like one, she thought as she regarded him more carefully. A ruddy complexion, curly hair and a full beard were a far cry from the topknot most sword-bearing Shienarans wore. He to, she noticed, gave her a glance over.

Embarrassment nearly crept into her expression as she suddenly realized she had never properly introduced herself. "Forgive me for not giving my name Gaidin. I am Vaska of House Reynar." Of Arafel, she would have continued, had it not been obvious from her hair ornaments. She understood to outsiders they could appear garish except when paired with the brightest feast-day clothing, and perhaps even slightly arrogant.

“Yes Gaidin, I did learn some of the sword, and it is what I wish to pursue further. ” she said with a nod. Even if she considered herself relatively competent, she would not speak of her abilities as great while in the presence of another, let alone a blademaster. If things proceeded as she assumed they would, he would gain a clear picture of her skill quickly enough. With that thought, she would say no more of her experience unless he specifically inquired.
Vaska Hrijorii Reynar

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » April 12th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Ravak
Ravak stroked the bottom of his beard with a thumb. "Right then," he mused out loud as he looked at the yards. Finding an unused rack of training weapons, he gestured for Vaska to follow as he made his way across the grounds.

"You'll need to tie up those skirts," he said over his shoulder. "Even if you can fight in a dress, I still need to see your feet, for placement." Some people, southern nobles mostly, objected to such a notion; baring their legs for all to see, how scandalous! Ravak expected nothing of the sort from a proud Arafellin. A pair of trousers could be found if they were needed, however.

Before they made it over to the weapon rack, Rav had unbuckled his sword belt. Taking hold of the two scabbards, he rested them hilt-up against the side of the rack. If something happened - Dragkhar, Grey Men, Travelling Dreadlords - he wanted his weapons in hand post-haste. It ceased being paranoia when at least one of those had happened in the past.

The training weapons were bundles of lathes lashed together. Even a light blow would sting, but only reckless force would break the skin. Bruises could be Healed, assuming the bearer didn't deserve them out of stupidity. No point in teaching people about warfare if they think there are no consequences. The weapons were of different lengths, and some were bound together as would-be axes or maces.

"Grab whatever you're used to." The different lathes ran from the length of a short sword up to a bastard sword. The Shienaran took up a weapon about the same length as his own longsword, before making a few practice swings to gauge the weight and balance.

He turned to Vaska then, his voice a little cooler and more determined. "So how much did you learn up in Arafel? Tell me where you want to start, be that footwork or forms or an out-and-out duel. Like most things, swordsmanship is built up layer by layer, so don't pretend you know something if you don't."
Image Image Image Image

Bantha
"New Spring"

Post by Bantha » April 19th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Vaska
Vaska followed across the grounds as Ravak motioned behind him. She was not one to care normally if her legs were exposed--she did spend a majority of her life up until now in breeches, after all. However, she did not anticipate actually training today, merely discussing the option of training with the Master of Training, or whomever it was that ran the Warder yards. If the pair of them decided to make this training a reoccuring thing, she may wish to somehow procure a new pair of breeches.

She took some time to carefully look over the weapons rack, studying the variety of weapons. Vaska finally settled on a would-be hand-and-a-half sword. After holding it out for a moment to get a feel for the balance point, she selected a blunt wooden dagger, a mean thing nearly a third again as long as her hand. Short sword would have almost been a better descriptor.

After he spoke she was silent for a moment, holding his gaze with a cold, expressionless one of her own. Within that time she quickly debated speaking of her true experience, the thing she determined not do to unless absolutely necessary. It was difficult enough as it was to separate her identity from her past. With reluctance, she replied. "To put it shortly, I am competent enough to hold my own in a duel against an average sword-bearer, but I am far from any blademaster. I am open to nearly any type of training, from an all-out sparring match to going over duel-wielding. It has been a very long time since a trained eye looked over my form in depth."

And I will not dare call myself Arafellin if I could not perform the movements with skill, she thought. It was the hallmark of her people, perhaps even more than the merry bells in their hair.

With that she set down the two weapons she held and gathered her white skirts around her, tucking the hems up into the belt at her waist. She now had more freedom of movement, albeit less modesty.
Vaska Hrijorii Reynar

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » May 8th, 2019, 9:55 am

Ravak
A slight smile, call it a smirk, formed behind the shaggy ends of the Gaidin's moustache. He appreciated the straightforwardness of Vaska's response. No kowtowing to his rank or skill on one end and no immodest bravado on the other. Just an honest "here's where I'm at, where do I go from here?"

Keep up that level of perspective, Ravak thought, and you'll make ripples in the Tower. Vaska would probably butt heads with the Mistress of Novices, but the Mistress never needed a reason to be mule-stubborn.

"Duel wielding, eh?" Amusement and affection warmed Ravak's remark. "Someone after my own heart. But let's start with footwork, just to begin with."

"Maybe you already know this, but in any stance, you project a strong and weak line. If you're attacked along your weak line, you're going to topple over like a stack of blocks in front of a toddler, and that'll be the end of you. If you face an opponent going against your strong line, you'll hold your ground even against a Trolloc."

Rav found that he'd subconsciously moved his feet into the Ox Lowers His Horns. His feet were spread apart, with his front foot outstretched, back foot behind him and angled outwards.

With his sword, he drew a furrow in the dirt between the middle of each foot, slightly pointing off to his right side. "This line is my strong line. If an attack comes at me from this direction, I can weather it without losing my footing." Rav then marked out a groove perpendicular to the first. "And the weak line. But you'll see that's still within my vision, so you can adjust where you are before you're overrun."

Pulling his right foot in, so that his strong line was almost facing Vaska, Rav stepped forward. This involved moving his front foot forwards, then following with his back foot. He stepped backwards in the reverse, rear foot stepping back before the front foot followed. "This is the basic step. Hopefully you've received similar training with your instructors up north, but I'll repeat it regardless. You always move the foot closest to the direction you wish to move first and follow with the other foot. This keeps your strong line pointed as much towards your opponent. Always be aware of your weak and strong lines, and your opponents'."

"Now," Rav said, straightening up, "let's see what you know."
Image Image Image Image

Bantha
"New Spring"

Post by Bantha » May 14th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Vaska
Vaska kept her eyes on her new teacher, carefully listening as he explained footwork. She had heard this all before, many, many times. During her childhood she would practice for hours in the courtyard alongside her brothers, their weapon master’s lessons often reinforced with his stick if they forgot. Although she generally knew how to handle a blade by the time she left for the border guard, the training there made her childhood teacher seem friendly in comparison. However, the harsh sergeants often had to train individuals who had only rudimentary experience with the sword, much less private tutelage that came with part of a wealthy family. Despite her experiences, however, it was good to review -- there was not a large incentive to have refined, perfect foot- and bladework when the only opponent one would ever face would be trollocs, who were far from blade masters themselves.

She moved to copy his stance, The Ox Lowers His Horns, but mirrored. Placing her left foot forward and her right foot behind and angled outwards, she took a few careful steps forward, then backwards. She paid special attention to the width of her steps, making them even and being careful not to "gallop" or bring her feet too close together. Doing so would have made it difficult to keep balance or change direction quickly--certain defeat in battle, if facing a seasoned opponent.
Vaska Hrijorii Reynar

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik