Curiosity Killed the Cat (Attn: Bella)

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Curiosity Killed the Cat (Attn: Bella)

Post by Craig » July 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Zarayne
She had not been raised in the harsh environment of the Three-fold Land. Finding her way through rocky outcroppings and barren dunes without being seen had never been one of her lessons growing up. The Aiel had a life quite apart from the one she had been brought up in, but that didn't mean that Zarayne didn't have some of her people's skills.

Over the months serving as Lysira's part-time translator, Zarayne had been privy to more of the Warder Yards than the average Accepted. The language used by the Gaidin and their trainees no longer seemed so inaccessible, and she knew more about the different types of axeheads than she thought possible. Still, her interest was more in the people than the implements they used. She had watched as a love developed between two of the fancloak bearers, finding interest and fascination both in how they had become so in-step with one another, as well as the fact that one was Aiel. Love had never really factored into her assumptions about the Grey Tower, even if she was the product of one such coupling.

One of the other things she'd observed were the routines of prominent figures. The Gaidin Captain and Master of Training were as dependable as clocks with their comings and goings, the former more so than the latter. Her father was less reliable, but there were times when she could be certain that he was going to be in his office, and times when he certainly would be absent.

Two bells before High, Zarayne set her scheme into motion. After walking through the great foyer of the Warder Hall, the Accepted slipped into one of the empty classrooms. She removed her slippers, hiding them behind the base of a weapon rack, then tied up her skirt. The additional freedom was needed if she was going to stalk the halls quickly and silently.

Her destination was the Warder Hall's seldom-used loft. According to some of the older Accepted, it had a disreputable name many years previous for being the sight of many illicit affairs. Changes had been made since that time, mostly in scheduling but also in security, that had made it fall out of favour with the learning ranks. Now it was used for long-term storage. It was the sort of place someone could go and disappear.

Slipping through the servants' stairways got her to the Hall's second floor. She had to wait and watch and listen for others before making her way through the open corridors towards one of the loft's entrances. She moved up the ladder quietly, only leaving toeprints in the dust to show she had been there.

Once in the loft, she had to scramble through and around various boxes, until she was above the south-western side of the Hall. Zarayne tugged a dusty fabric cover off from one of the crates, flipped it upside down, then lay down on it in her small nook. She coughed from the disturbed dust, muffling her noises as best as she could using the back of her hand.

When the dust settled, Zarayne opened herself to saidar. The sweet waters of the True Source rushed about and through her. The hairs in her nose could feel the alien presence of dust particles, but she refused to give into another bout of sneezes. Instead she did as she had come here to do, and as she had practiced around other parts of the Tower. The golden hue of Air merged with the silver shine of Spirit as she entwined the two threads. She was strong in neither element, but this weave was one taught to novices, and known even to some untrained wilders. Her weave slipped into the gaps between the floorboards, taking a cautious path down two stories. Sounds came out from her side of the weave – muffled speech. She slowly extended and moved the far end of her weave until the voices became clearer.

One of the speakers had a deep voice. He sounded graven, although it was a challenge to determine his mood. There was no trace of an accent, but Zarayne knew what the Gaidin Captain sounded like nonetheless. It was the other voice that interested her. It too sounded serious, but it wasn't as deep and rumbling as Ferran Gaidin's. There was also an accent, very clearly and strongly Shienaran in tone. She smiled despite herself, and not for the reasons she suspected she would. Her father's voice was a strange comfort to hear, especially in light of the fact she was spying on him. With her head on one side pressed into the floor, Zarayne closed her eyes and focused on the conversation happening two floors below her.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat (Attn: Bella)

Post by Bella » July 21st, 2017, 1:41 am

Isla didn't think she was going to like this.

Of course, there was little about this entire process--the entire place that her life had arrived at--that she was certain she liked. Some things ended up not being as bad as she had expected, but that wasn't really the same as liking a thing, now was it? Not that she had any choice in the matter, or any matter, and so off she trudged.

The Novice had been dispatched to the loft, which had been described as a "dusty old storage area," to fetch a box.

She had not, of course, been told what was in the box she was to fetch, just given a description of it and its most likely location. She was told to fetch it and bring it back, with as little "dallying" as possible. What could she possibly have to dally over in a place so described, she had no idea, but she simply nodded and went on her way.

When she began to ascend into the loft, however, she picked up on something unexpected. Channeling. There was a woman channeling nearby...above?

In the loft?

Who would be channeling in the loft? Maybe there was a cleaning weave that she hadn't been taught? She might have to ask after it, at some point when she thought she could get away with doing so without getting into trouble. That was for another time. She had to get into the loft to find what she needed, and so up she went.

Isla was torn between finding the source of the channeling and completing her task...but fortunately--or unfortunately, only time would tell--the two ended up combining to give her little option.

Coming around a corner with stacks of crates, she chances upon...an Accepted...who was the source of the channeling?

She considered trying to back out gracefully and not bother the girl who may well have the power to send her to the Mistress of Novices for spying, but the Pattern was once again against her. As was the small crate just happening to be near her foot, which the back of her heel hit. A soldier's reflexes kept her from falling, but did not keep her from cursing. Aloud.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » July 22nd, 2017, 1:43 am

Zarayne
"The latest reports from Tear," Ferran said. There was a rustling of paper as the Gaidin Captain handed the letters over.

"Mm." Her father grumbled. He sounded pleased but she wasn't certain. "You've read them. Can you summarise the worst bits for me?"

"Where should I start?" Ferran replied.

"Burn it!"

That last was neither Ferran nor her father. As the conversation down below continued, Zarayne realised that not only was the speaker a third person, but that she wasn't even participating in the discussion.

Jade green eyes popped open as Zarayne rolled onto her back. She propped herself up on her elbows and looked up towards a novice. She didn't recognise her, but in that moment it didn't matter. Whether Zarayne could prize some piece of usual knowledge from her head wasn't as important as the fact she'd just been caught.

But does she know what she's caught me doing?

"Hello?" Zarayne said cautiously. "Wha- what are you doing up here? Are you hiding from someone?" Maybe if this novice was also doing something wrong then she wouldn't need to worry about the Mistress of Novices' forthcoming administrations.
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 22nd, 2017, 2:58 am

Hiding?

Isla thought it was an ironic question because in many ways, she was in the Grey Tower as a whole to hide...but she knew that the other woman wasn't asking about that. She meant more literally. Was Isla in the loft because she was hiding from someone else? Why would she automatically assume that?

Well, this was a fairly decent hiding place, if you could stand the dust and darkness...but she had a feeling that something other than that made the girl ask.

"No," she said with a slow shake of her head. "I... I was just coming up here because I was told to fetch something for one of the A-Aes Sedai." Just saying the phrase was still difficult for her, and she winced inwardly. "I am very sorry to have intruded on you..." Although now Isla's mind began to whirl.

Just what was the Accepted doing there? "Are you hiding from someone?" Isla asked before she could stop herself.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » July 26th, 2017, 10:03 am

Zarayne
Zarayne stared straight at the novice, caught out like a startled rabbit. Lying was not in her nature, but admitting to the truth was not enticing either. Think Zarayne, think! She felt the pressure against her elbows acutely thanks to the One Power. Saidar! She could do something, keep the novice from... from what?

Her eavesdropping thread had winked out of existence, freeing her to focus solely on her next weave. She spun out a dome of bluish threads, quickly added Fire around it, then completed it with Water. Tying it off, Zarayne knew that both of them should see the ward, but she hoped no other women were around to sense her weavings.

"A ward against eavesdropping," Zarayne explained. She regretted saying that the instant the words had left her tongue. Accepted do not explain themselves to novices. Even novices that can land you in a world of trouble.

There was still an unanswered question hanging in the air that the ward did not fix.

"I'm not hiding," Zarayne stated. Which was true. Sort of. She'd been eavesdropping on a conversation between her father and the Gaidin Captain, not hiding from them. She just needed somewhere out of way to do it in order to go undetected. Well, undetected was the plan. That wasn't really hiding, was it?

Her sense of ji'e'toh tended to differ.

"Not really," she added as a qualifier. "I'm..."

A silence stretched out. She couldn't think of anything that didn't incriminate in her one way or the other.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » July 28th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Isla had...absolutely no idea what was going on right now.

It was all a little frightening. She saw the Accepted weaving, although didn't understand what it was until it was explained. The first sight of it just made her scared that something terrible was about to happen to her, and all those terrible stories and rumors would be proven true! Just when she was beginning to believe they weren't.

When it was explained, it didn't make her feeling any better. It might be a lie...and if it was, then what was the weave? If it was the truth, why did they need to not be heard? What was going to be done to her?

She stared at the tall redhead with her own eyes wide and flashing in the dim light.

There was a stumbling reply, another stumbling reply, and then silence... The girl stared at her. Isla stared back. Neither of them was saying anything, and the both of them had the look of a rabbit caught in sight of a wolf. Why wasn't the Accepted saying something? If she wasn't here hiding or doing something wrong, then why not speak?

Not really?

"Should..." Isla began hesitantly. "Should I just leave? I could just leave. I don't have to say anything to anyone about anything, just get the box and go..." Her voice and bottom lip trembled slightly as she spoke.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 2nd, 2017, 10:19 pm

Zarayne
"Yes? And please don't tell anyone."
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm

What in the Light was the girl doing up here?

Curiosity bounced through her mind like a child's toy set on over-active, but she knew better than to ask. It might have set right on her tongue, but if the girl was...up to something, it was just better to not ask. Plus, she knew that the girl had been channeling, and Isla knew that she didn't want any part of that sort of trouble.

"I...I will," she said, then blinked and gasped, almost afraid. "I mean I won't! I mean..." She blew out a breath. "I will live and I will not tell anyone. I promise," she clarified quickly, before she invoked some kind of wrath. "I... I just need to get the thing that I came up here for, because I don't want to get in any trouble."

She started to back away and nearly tripped over the thing that had given her away in the first place. She rallied quickly, then hurried to find the box she had been sent to fetch.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » August 8th, 2017, 9:01 am

Zarayne
Zarayne began to sink down to commence her 'listening' again, but hesitation held her midway. The look she saw in the novice's eyes unnerved her. It unnerved her principally because she was the one who had caused it, and Zarayne didn't wish to become the sort of person who evoked such feelings.

"Wait!" Zarayne called out so. Her ward still held, but the novice hadn't gone so far as to be outside it, she assumed. "Please, I... I'm sorry. You're not in trouble!"

There was no response.

The Accepted scrambled to her feet, hoping to use the advantage of her height to spot wherever the blue-eyed girl had got to. The ward was tied off, and Zarayne didn't know how to take back control of a tied-off weave. She dodged and wove past the boxes that had concealed her until she breached the other side of the barrier.

"Please, I'm sorry, you're not in trouble, don't go!" She had to make amends before this became a matter for ji'e'toh.
Image Image Image Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 10th, 2017, 2:23 am

Isla hurried. She didn't want to cause any more trouble or seem like she was spying, so she planned to just find the box that she had been told to find and then get her way swiftly out of the loft? It was dark and dusty up in this place anyways, so it wasn't like she really wanted to spend all that much time up here.

The box, however, turned out to be a little trickier than she had expected. Perhaps it was because she was rushing. Nerves were getting the better of her, and she made herself stop.

Standing up straight, she put her hand over her eyes and forehead. Counting to three, she took a deep breath. She held it for a long moment and then let it out again. Was she calmer yet? No? Okay. She counted again and took another breath, holding it until she counted to three and then letting it out.

There. Good. She was calmer and felt her head was slightly clearer. She could go back--

Suddenly, the other girl was shouting. The tone registered before the words did and Isla gasped, whirling around so fast that her hand hit a small box on the top of a stack. It felt with a dull thud and she squeaked, jumping back. She just barely avoided crashing into other things, spinning with a look near terror to see the Accepted coming for her.

What the--

The words registered then.

The tall one--much taller than Isla had first realized--was apologizing? Well, she said Isla wasn't in trouble, so that was a start, but was it the truth? She again tried to catch her breath, but the hand from her face had dropped to her chest as her heart pounded. "I... I haven't found the box yet," she stuttered a little.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik