A Day in the Life Of [Open]

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: A Day in the Life Of [Open]

Post by Andy » August 21st, 2017, 10:57 am

"Better to be hard now than later after a mistake," he conceded as he rubbed his chin, "as the Blademaster commands" he nodded his head respectfully.

"I will be there, but for now I have more heathens to try to deal with. May the rest of your day be well"

With a parting grin he went back to his schedule, teaching and grinding his teeth together. It was a lesson in patience he was being given but he took some heart in Riahana's words, it was worth it perhaps. One day they might thank him by saving his life, that would definitely be worth it.
******************** The following day came and he was up early as usual. He had no idea what the quarterstaff was form but he did know that it was always good to be presentable for one's teacher so he had spent some time making himself properly groomed. His clothing, though clean, was slightly worn from the training it had been through. It seemed right to pull it back out of the chest for the occasion. He had taken her advice and eaten well enough but even so he was there before she was.

"Class in session" he muttered to himself as he leaned against the wall, quarterstaff next to him.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » August 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Riahana Gaidin
Riahana wasn’t one to keep her students waiting long. Today, she had a session with Alrim as he hoped to learn a thing or two about swords from her. She’d taught many Drin, Ji’Val and even her share of Gaidin. The Gaidin tended to be impatient and rarely wanted to start with the ko’di. Given that it was central to how she fought, it was a logical starting place for her. She could, of course, just teach forms, but to her, forms were only one part of mastering the sword.

Yes, her blade bore the Heron, but she was not so egotistical as to think there was nothing else she couldn’t learn. She worked on her forms every day, and knew which she struggled with.
Would she ever find she didn’t struggle with any forms? She doubted it.

Stepping into the classroom, the Gaidin closed the door behind her. The lesson with Alrim would be a private lesson, and neither teacher nor student needed prying eyes to distract. The classroom held no desks, but did have a mat in the center of the floor. Looking the staff to Alrim, Ria offered a small smile, “Good morning, Gaidin. I want you to stand in the center of the room and hold your arms out such that your elbows are by your sides and your hands are facing palm down.”

She waited for him to move into position, and then took his staff and placed it across his forearms. “The Flame and Void, or Void as I’ll refer to it, is a state of being as well as a state of the mind. The idea is to let all extraneous thought roll off of you such that you are in the moment. It is not that you don’t feel emotions or ignore the thoughts, but just that you file them away.

“The exercise we do today is a modified version of what Master Ives taught me so many decades ago. Your arms will eventually tire, and the staff will roll off of them. When that happens, we start again. What I want you to do is repeat the following, ‘Courage is fear once it has said its prayers.’ I want you to say it over and over. Focus on each word of the saying.

“If you forget the words, or you trip over the words, we begin again. It will take time, and there is a chance it may not happen today, but if it does, you will know it as everything else will come into sharp focus. Your fatigued arms will not worry you and you can continue holding the pose and chanting the saying without missing a beat. Understand?”
Spoiler: show
I let you decide how long it takes for Alrim to find the Void. If you want it to continue to day 2, that is totally fine. If you want him to reach it just as they are about to run out of time, that's awesome. Have fun.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 7th, 2017, 4:42 pm

It was not the task he had expected, he would have been the first to admit it, but if it was what Riahana expected him to do then he would do it to the best of his abilities. Even before starting he knew that he would be privately cursing her crippling of his arm muscles for the next day or so...or however long this took to be successful. Still, he reasoned, if it had been good enough for Caden and Riahana Gaidin then he was in excellent company. Assuming the position was easy, holding the staff at the start was easy. Things went well as he recited the words at the beginning.

"Courage is fear once it has said its prayers"

It was harder after those first five minutes or so. His concentration was slowly pulled in different directions, for different reasons and the creation of frustration was an inevitable consequence. He wanted to do well, to be better, but he was not used to repeated failure of seemingly simple tasks. Losing spars and getting cut up in fights he was used to. Surely he should have been able to hold up a damned stick and achieve what his teacher wanted of him?

He was proven wrong, however.

Courage is fear once it has said its prayers he told himself mentally as he almost panted out the words verbally, sweat covering his body by now and his arms screaming at him.

He had lost count of the number of times the staff had fallen but given that Riahana was not particularly scolding towards him, that he noticed. Still he was not sure how much of the day he had been doing the task before it became less about holding it up and more about retreating into himself so that he didn't have to feel the weight and ache. He still said the words but they were in a tone that was increasingly monotone and less bothered with the effort of talking.

Time passed once more, more failures. Yet he felt less tired and pained as time dragged onwards, almost as if his limbs were too dead to register much anymore. It seemed darker now though it was more a feeling than a direct observation. Another failure and clattering. Beginning again, and again.

"Courage is fear once it has said its prayers" he said dully, feeling a slight ripple inside but nothing much else.

It took him a while to realise that he had achieved what he had set out to do. He had felt it before, though intermittently. It was familiar yet unfamiliar. It was, however, definitively the Void. A stepping aside and apart whilst at the same time together. It was a difficult thing to explain but impossible not to recognise. He felt sure his voice changed too, becoming slightly harder and more devoid of its normal emotive tones. He couldn't be sure though. He kept it up and would keep it up until he was instructed to stop. Riahana had been right, he could have carried on forever, seemingly. Though he still knew his body would suffer.

Emotion without emption, thought without true association. Only the task, only the moment. He could see, even as he observed the thought, as if from afar before it vanished, how it would likely improve combat skills if truly mastered.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » September 9th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Riahana
Teaching someone of ko’di or how to find the Void was a challenge. There was only so much one could say before letting the student walk the path on their own. Whether someone managed to find the Void came down to patience and determination as much as anything. Ria learned long ago that it could take some people days, if not weeks or months to find the peace that came with the Void.

Riahana watched impassively as Alrim held out his arms and repeated the phrase that held such meaning to her. The bell for High came and went, and yet Alrim pushed on. Each time the staff fell, her student started again. There were times when she thought she could see a hint of frustration on his face, but as time went on, the frustration seemed to ebb.

Late in the afternoon, Alrim’s tone changed. Ria studied him closely, and saw a familiar look to his eyes. She allowed herself a very slight smile as she slowly walked around him. The change to him was subtle, but it was there. Only he could say for certain, though Ria suspected he’d found it. Finding the Void the first time was always the most challenging step along the path. Once you knew how to reach it, though, it became easier each and every time a person reached for it.

“What you feel in this moment is what you will want to find each time you slip into the Void or pull it around you,” Ria spoke softly as she continued to circle her student. “Now that you’ve gotten a taste for it, it will be easier to find the next time you reach for it. It will be up to you to devote time to practice finding the Void, and I expect you to practice each and every day.

“You may not always be successful in finding yourself within the Void, but you have to at least try. The more you practice, the easier it will be to slip into the Void. Eventually, you’ll be able to do it without barely a thought,” Ria explained as she came to stand in front of him.

Taking the staff off of his forearms, she offered a warm smile, “We are done today. I want you to focus on finding the Void for the next few days. When we next meet, it will be in the Yards with practice lathes. We will start with what forms you currently know, and proceed from there. Go get yourself cleaned up. They will be serving dinner soon.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 13th, 2017, 4:32 pm

It was certainly a feeling that you would find impossible to forget and it made him realise that what he had been grasping at and using before, albeit erratically, was a pale shadow of what Riahana was trying to get him to become friends with. What he had clawed at on the walls of the Citadel and other places seemed like simple calmness compared to this new Ko'di, within which he was less calm and more...absent. He instinctively accepted that he would one day thank her for it as it would probably save his life in some fashion.

"I can see why Blademasters are that much better than veterans. It is a powerful ally," he said, holding onto the feeling for as long as he could, still there but it was shakier now, "you have my word that I will practice. Thank you for the lesson and for your time" he bowed his head and managed to get through the door, down the corridor and around the corner before it flew apart and he had to vigorously rub his arms whilst groaning.

The food was all too welcome and he ate a good three portions before his arms lost their strength and he retreated to his quarters for some rest and relaxation. He managed to get a bit of practise of the Ko'di done but he wasn't able to achieve the same solid state for more than a few seconds and it wasn't long before the effort finished off what reserves of energy he had and sleep took him.

True to his word he practised all day for the next three days. The Master of Training understood as soon as he told them who was teaching him and what he was trying to do. It was a smart investment to make sure a Gaidin was improved as far as was possible and others could teach for a little while in Alrim's place. He took his promises seriously, especially to those he respected. He stopped for meals and for sleep but other than that he passed the time entering and exiting the Ko'di.

It was not an easy thing but he managed it a half dozen times each day. It sounded more than it was given the time invested but Riahana's words rang true - it was ever so slightly easier each time. Still he felt frustration much of the time and when he didn't he sometimes found himself wondering if he were meant to be able to master such a thing. He hated that he still felt such self-pity but at least it only came out under duress.

When he finally stepped into the Warder Yards for their next lesson, practice lathe in hand, he thought that he was slightly better. He had practised the forms a bit with the Ko'di in preparation but his assessments of himself were hard to get right with new experiences. He waited for the lesson to begin and spent the time trying to form the Ko'di once more. He might as well practice whilst he ahd the time, he reasoned.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » September 17th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Riahana
Riahana made her way to the Yards with her sword at her hip and a practice lathe in her hand as her mind went through her previous lesson with Alrim Gaidin. He didn’t roll his eyes at her for their first lesson focusing solely on the Flame and Void, which was a nice change from some of her previous students. She understood everyone had a different style of fighting, but if she was to teach her way, then she couldn’t just focus on the forms.

For the Blademaster, the Void was as much a part of her as her blade was when she fought. To try and teach one without the other? It could be done, but Ria always felt as if she were only teaching half a lesson.

As Ria approached where she and Alrim would work, she caught sight of the other Gaidin going through forms. She paused her advance to watch him to get an idea of his skill level. There were more than a few swordsmen who thought the forms were a waste of time, and they preferred to hack and slash their way through a fight. For them, it worked.

Alrim moved through the forms, and they didn’t seem so foreign on him, though he wasn’t as smooth as he may have liked. It was nothing practice couldn’t help with, or a bit of guidance. She didn’t keep him waiting long and cleared her throat as she finally closed distance, “Good morning, Alrim. How has your practice with the Flame and Void been going?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » September 20th, 2017, 4:24 pm

He finished off the last few forms after her greeting, not wanting to stop and appreciating that it might give her a batter idea of where to start with him as a teacher. He found it better to finish and be told what was wrong than stop halfway through and lose any such opportunity. When he was finished though he faced her and bowed his head slightly. He considered her question and wondered if he had a full answer. He wasn't sure how mastery of such a thing felt, just what he had felt so far, and so he was groping in the dark slightly.

"Easier but still difficult. I know the difference between not being in and being in now. And it feels easier each time, as you said. I can hold it longer too, I think, but time seems hard to judge when using it" he responded finally, slowly.

He looked into the middle distance, the lathe resting behind his head ad held at his shoulders, wondering whether he would ever have known the difference if he had not had the courage to ask her for help. It was difficult for him, even with the closest of friends, to ask for help. He had grown used to relying upon himself and losing those who had helped him, so much so that he had given up. It was nice that he was getting the better side of things. Perhaps, in time, it would change him too.

"What are we doing today, teacher?" he asked as he looked at her directly and focused.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » September 25th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Riahana
Easier but still difficult was the answer Ria expected. Few of those she took on would say it was “easy,” and the one or two who had weren’t being honest with themselves. That Alrim came to her as a fully raised Gaidin meant he had little to prove, and likely came to learn out of genuine interest. Whether it would be easy to work through any bad habits he might have picked up along the way was an entirely different matter and would remain to be seen.

Unfastening her sword belt, Ria leaned it up against a post before turning to face her student once more, “Today, we start on forms. I often start with Unfolding the Fan and Folding the Fan, but I’ve had more than one student complain about something so simple as drawing and sheathing one’s sword. I thought a different approach might be in order.

“So. . .instead of starting off with something basic, and me showing a form, and you duplicating it to the best of your ability, what I want you to do is show me what you do know. A simple five minute spar should be enough for me to get a feel for your style. Any longer, and I’d rather you spar against another so I could focus on you and your technique. We will save that for the next lesson. For now, a spar. I will likely remain on defensive unless I see you leave yourself open. I don’t expect you to get a touch, and would rather you focus on technique than trying to best me,” Ria explained as she settled into a middle-guard stance.

“Unless you have any questions, begin when you are ready,” Riahana said, her eyes focused on him, the Void already around her like an old friend.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » October 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm

He remembered a time when he wanted to fight her with his bare hands. He had thankfully had more wisdom then than the alcohol had suggested and taken the less painful path. This was different, it was training. Teaching. Yet he did not expect her to be an easy teacher and he had seen first hand how quick and hard her blade could strike. Still it would be useful instruction on how far he had come, even if it were humbling.

"They make similar complaints to me though I'll not complain about a small spar" he said simply, watching her settle into her guard.

He settled into his own, a more offensive one, The Leaf Floating on the Breeze, the blade moving as he circled, Riahana stepping easily to match. He let time drag as long as he dared, using The Cat Dances on the Wall as he tried to assume the Ko'di, barely managing it as he tried to divert his attentions. It was harder than when just sitting, that much was certain. Once he held it he went straight into his attacks before he could lose it. Lightning of Three Prongs flowed into The Eel Among the Lily Pads, the first to see if he could open her guard and the second to test the defence of her legs.

It was a standard continuation of opening tactics that he had put together, not particularly deadly but a way of warming up and getting a better idea of an opponent's rhythm. He had never sparred Riahana before after all. He knew he wouldn't beat her and so took her advice and didn't try too hard, just hard enough to make sure his moves were as right as he could make them. He settled into another guard after that and set about trying to use as many sword form chains as he could remember.

The Lion on the Hill into The Lion Springs into Parting the Silk and ended with Ribbon in the Air. It went on and he wasn't able to touch her. He wasn't truthfully able to discern if he even pushed her slightly. Either way he would keep up the varied uses of forms that he knew until she called for him to stop.
~
~

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » October 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm

He remembered a time when he wanted to fight her with his bare hands. He had thankfully had more wisdom then than the alcohol had suggested and taken the less painful path. This was different, it was training. Teaching. Yet he did not expect her to be an easy teacher and he had seen first hand how quick and hard her blade could strike. Still it would be useful instruction on how far he had come, even if it were humbling.

"They make similar complaints to me though I'll not complain about a small spar" he said simply, watching her settle into her guard.

He settled into his own, a more offensive one, The Leaf Floating on the Breeze, the blade moving as he circled, Riahana stepping easily to match. He let time drag as long as he dared, using The Cat Dances on the Wall as he tried to assume the Ko'di, barely managing it as he tried to divert his attentions. It was harder than when just sitting, that much was certain. Once he held it he went straight into his attacks before he could lose it. Lightning of Three Prongs flowed into The Eel Among the Lily Pads, the first to see if he could open her guard and the second to test the defence of her legs.

It was a standard continuation of opening tactics that he had put together, not particularly deadly but a way of warming up and getting a better idea of an opponent's rhythm. He had never sparred Riahana before after all. He knew he wouldn't beat her and so took her advice and didn't try too hard, just hard enough to make sure his moves were as right as he could make them. He settled into another guard after that and set about trying to use as many sword form chains as he could remember.

The Lion on the Hill into The Lion Springs into Parting the Silk and ended with Ribbon in the Air. It went on and he wasn't able to touch her. He wasn't truthfully able to discern if he even pushed her slightly. Either way he would keep up the varied uses of forms that he knew until she called for him to stop.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik