Early Morning Lessons, attn Marla/Jaryd

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Early Morning Lessons, attn Marla/Jaryd

Post by Alianora » March 22nd, 2017, 3:02 am

Liaran
Liaran shuddered as she woke up, gradually realizing that she was safe in her own small room and not trapped in the village of Vaidulo which had haunted her dreams since she'd returned to the Tower. The memories of the things that had pursued them faded as she rose and looked out the window. It was still dark outside, a time when she should still have been in her bed, but Liaran couldn't stand the idea of trying to get back to sleep. She rarely could, after the nightmares, and in any case, she had an early lesson scheduled this morning which was a convenient excuse for her to remain awake. The Accepted retrieved a pair of pants and a shirt from where she had left them, folded under her nghtclothes, and put them on. They felt strange to her after her many years in the banded whites, but Liaran didn't miss the dress at all. If the Sea Folk woman were allowed to have her way, she would have worn these clothes every day and never touched the dresses again. Since she was up early, Liaran took the extra time to force her unruly hair back into a ribbon, something she could rarely be bothered to do. She doubted the ribbon would contain it for long, but at least she'd attempted to keep it from flying into her face as it usually did.

The sun was just barely over the horizon when Liaran arrived at the Warder Yards. The Accepted blinked and yawned as she paced the edges of the yards. Her instructor, Jaryd Asha'man, wasn't there, but Liaran had not expected him yet. It was still a bit early, and the place was empty. As she walked, she wondered if she'd be able to learn to fight at all. She'd gained some skill in it with the Power, but she'd never handled a weapon in her life. After encountering the strange things in Vaidulo, she knew she had to make the attempt to learn, but she still didn't feel confident about it. The Sea Folk woman continued to pace, pausing only to stuff an escaped curl back into her hair ribbon. She turned every so often to look out over the yards, judging that it should be just about time for Jaryd Asha'man to be arriving.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Re: Early Morning Lessons, attn Marla/Jaryd

Post by Sunny » March 25th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Jaryd
It had been some time since Jaryd last saw Liaran, so he was pleasantly surprised by her request for lessons on wielding a dagger. The Sea Folk woman had been present for the events at Vaidulo, he remembered; it made sense, albeit tragically, that she would want to know how to protect herself.

On the day of the meeting the wiry Red dressed in simple gray training garments, gathered a few supplies into a leather bag, and headed for the Yards. It wasn’t a long journey from the Red quarters, but even so early in the morning there were those up and about who required his attention. By the time he escaped them and left the Tower the sun had risen a little further over the horizon than he had intended.

The Asha’man was not terribly surprised to see that Liaran had already arrived when he approached their assigned practice area. He grinned at her as he jumped over the fence. Once safely on the other side he dumped his bag in the sand and crouched next to it. “Good morning,” he said cheerfully, rummaging about. He glanced up and realized the Accepted had not moved. “Breathe,” he told her. “Talk to me a bit before we begin. What do you know already? Why do you want to learn? Are you looking for ways to defend yourself, or a new way of life?” The corners of his mouth twitched up. “What and how I teach you will depend on your answers."
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » March 29th, 2017, 1:45 am

Liaran
Liaran smiled at the Asha'man and returned his greeting. The Accepted's hands went automatically to her sides to curtsy before she realized that it wouldn't quite work since she was wearing pants. She settled instead for the bow, hand over heart, that she'd been taught as a child. Jaryd Asha'man knew she came from the ships, so Liaran guessed he'd be able to recognize her movement as the respecful gesture she intended. She wasn't sure the Asha'man even noticed since he'd started digging around in his bag and asking her all sorts of questions. She remembered from the last time she'd met with him that the Red seemed to have an endless store of them. Liaran really did not want to answer any of them. In particular, she did not want to try to explain what had happened in Vaidulo to someone who hadn't been there, or admit to how helpless she had been there. Unfortunately, the Asha'man was still waiting for her to answer, and Liaran didn't see any way to respond that would let her avoid that subject. She took a deep breath before beginning.

“I don’t know anything about fighting with physical weapons,” she said. “I’m used to relying on the Power, if I have to. “ She did not think the Asha’man would approve of that answer. He’d suggested that she learn a while ago when she’d last talked to him, but she just hadn’t had the time until the events at Vaidulo forced her to find it. She went silent for a few minutes, struggling to find the right words to explain what had happened in Vaidulo when she didn’t want to think about it. “Recently I went to a village called Vaidulo to assist some members of the Yellow Ajah on a Healing mission,” she started, not sure where to begin. Liaran was sure that Jaryd Asha’man, as the Head of his Ajah, already knew some of what had taken place, but she had no idea what he already knew and what she‘d have to make herself explain. “There was supposedly a plague in the village, but when we arrived, we couldn’t find anyone there, and every house we looked in stood empty. Then, when we were walking back to the town square, I saw this.....person. It looked like someone who had just died, but it could move like someone living.” She didn’t think the Ashaman would understand what she meant, and didn’t think it was possible without having been there.

Liaran looked down and continued, playing with her sleeve edges. “I threw a fireball at it, and I hit it, but it wasn’t affected at all.” The Accepted shivered. She could still clearly see it lunging towards her with its arm still burning. “One of the Gaidin had to rush in and kill it. Later, we encountered a group of them, and since weaves didn’t affect them, I could hardly do anything to help. I realized after we returned that I’d have to learn to use weapons other than saidar. I don’t think I’ll stop relying on the Power first, but I need to become able to protect myself without it. I don’t ever want to be that useless again.”

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 1st, 2017, 4:36 am

Jaryd
Jaryd sat back on his heels, bag forgotten as he listened to the Accepted’s explanation. The way she held herself, her tone of voice, even the words she chose rang of reluctance, and yet she still managed to communicate what had happened and why it mattered. The Asha’man did not respond immediately, but in his head he found himself wondering why Velanya had not spoken to the Accepted about Vaidulo, given all that had happened there. Perhaps she did.

“I have spent a great deal of my time up to my eyeballs in research on the events of that day,” Jaryd said, his voice sober. “I did not witness the events at that village myself, but I have seen what happened to Dedicated Nathaniel and Elia Sedai, and that was...enough. I completely understand your need.” He shook his head.

“Now...as with anything, you can’t spend one session with me and walk away a master,” he said with a wry smile. “You will need to set up regular times to learn and regular times to practice so that if the need for your skill arises, you can act on instinct rather than intellect.” He looked down at his bag one more time, then quirked his lips and pushed himself to his feet without touching it.

“Let’s begin with some basic hand to hand striking and blocking,” he said. “Once you have the rhythm down we can add a wood knife so you can see how the two are related.”
OOC: Per this proposal the WS system definitions are changing to be more experience, less technical. My thought was that in keeping with that we could ditch the really explicit "put your feet here" kind of direction and instead focus on time passing, overall skill level, and then maybe culminate with some sort of skirmish after a few weeks of IC training. Whatcha think?
Image Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 2nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

Liaran
Liaran remained silent as the Red talked. She really had nothing more to say about Vaidulo, and had learned from her experiences on past nights that the more she talked about it, or even thought about it, the worse her nightmares became. The Accepted found herself envying the Red his ability to study what had happened without having the same problem. She badly wanted to know who had been behind it, but couldn't bring herself to look into it any further, as her few pathetic attempts had resulted in nothing other than yet more lost hours of sleep. She turned away to cover a yawn, which was brought on entirely by her lack of sleep and not by boredom as she was afraid it might appear. Liaran was grateful when Jaryd Asha'man finally switched over to the reason they had both come here.

She shifted her feet slightly, listening closely to what was expected of her. None of it surprised her, since she'd known she would need to spend time outside of her actual lessons practicing, just as she had to study for her academic and channeling lessons. At one time, that would have been difficult, but since Liaran had started rising earlier, she had quite a bit more free time in her mornings. At least I can do something useful, if I'm going to be awake. The Accepted nodded at the Asha'man to indicate she understood. "I'm ready to begin if you are."
Spoiler: show
OOC: I think the less technical we are, the better chance I have of writing something that isn't completely horrible, so that is perfectly fine with me.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 13th, 2017, 5:18 am

Jaryd
Jaryd nodded acceptance. “Very well. We will begin with defense; that will be of greatest benefit to you in an immediate sense. We can work on more offensive work once this becomes second nature. When you become aware of a threat, you will first need to be sure you are well-balanced. You can do that by-” the Asha’man circled his student, pushing at her with long fingers to test her balance, then explaining how to hold herself to counteract that movement. When her muscles began to tremble, he held his hand up to call a break.

“Strength in feet and back is critical,” he commented as he handed her a waterskin from his bag. “Arms also, but not as much as you’d expect- you’ll use momentum and body weight for most attacks, and speed to escape.” Once Liaran had caught her breath, the Altaran moved on. “A dagger is a small, moving target with the ability to do serious damage. Therefore, when you’re on the defense it isn’t your opponent’s knife you want to aim for…”

And so the lesson went; as it turned out, the opportunity to actually practice attacking/defending did not arise before the bell tolled. There were too many details to cover. "Meet me again in a week," Jaryd told her. "Don't forget to practice."
OOC: We do not have to write this session by session. You could easily skip a decent chunk of time and assume a bit more skill in your next post if you wish.
Image Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » April 18th, 2017, 2:20 am

Liaran
Balance. That sounded simple enough to Liaran. She had, after all, taken her first steps upon the rocking deck of a ship. They did not get far into the lesson before the Accepted realized her mistake. The Asha'man managed to push her off her feet several times, and she even found herself falling to the ground once or twice. Liaran could feel herself becoming more tired as the lesson went on, which took her somewhat by surprise as she did not think she was exerting herself much. Still, she could feel her legs beginning to shake slightly and a throbbing ache in the muscles of her stomach from her repeated attempts to keep herself upright. Sweat began to drip down her back, but Liaran didn't want to ask for a break. Having asked for lessons, she was determined to endure whatever Jaryd Asha'man asked of her, regardless of whether or not it was painful. She did her best to ignore her discomfort, but was secretly relieved when the Asha'man was the one to stop the lesson for a break.

The Accepted sat on the ground, panting, alternating between trying to breathe and drinking most of the water from the waterskin the Asha'man handed to her. When she thought she could manage it, Liaran pushed herself to her feet and listened to the Red explain some of the important points of fighting with the dagger. Liaran was sure she'd never remember any of it. Though she did listen, she didn't think any of it would make much sense without actual practice, something they did not end up having any time for during the lesson. She left having been reminded to practice, but she hadn't needed the reminder. Liaran wasn't quite sure what, exactly, she was supposed to be practicing since she couldn't work on her balance alone, but the Sea Folk woman figured she had an entire week to find a way to work in some sort of practice, even if it had little to do with the actual weapon.

Some weeks later, the Accepted returned to the Warder Yards. Since that first lesson, she had taken to running around the edges of the Warder Yards in the early morning in an attempt to increase her speed. She had quickly found that she did not enjoy that at all, but even to herself, Liaran had to admit that it seemed to be working, as she seemed to be completing the run a little faster every day. The dagger itself was proving more difficult; they had only started with that in the last lesson, and Liaran found it hard to practice by herself. She made herself do it anyways, but she was not convinced that it had any actual effect on her ability with the weapon. She did some stretching while she waited on the Asha'man's arrival, bending over and touching her fingertips to her toes. She wanted to be ready by the time this next lesson started.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik