Lessons Learned [Roan]

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Lessons Learned [Roan]

Post by Andy » March 18th, 2017, 8:14 pm

He no longer felt like a terrible person these days, he had changed and had accepted that. He had been tested and had passed, barely but still. He was still rebellious, enjoyed his fun and never ended a night out without a hangover. However his chores were done to the highest level he could, he tried to support those he could when he could and had invested some time in trying to form some sort of cohesive whole with the Drin and Ji who knew him. Not in the martial sense but the family sense. To what extent he had been successful was up for debate but the importing point was that he had tried. That mattered to him, because it meant that they mattered to him. His evening with Affie and it’s revelations had stuck with him.

“Bells, got time to help me out later? Can’t get this right”

“Where’s Hadvar? Wasn’t he supposed to help you? Thought we said that yesterday?”

“Yeah but he hasn’t turned up. Think he’s groaning in his chambers still. Hama Valon last night. You game?”

“Tell you what, can’t right now but later. Good?”

“We’re good, thanks”

With a small smile he paced onward, there was something he had in mind to do today. He had practice of his own, or perhaps learning. Didn’t matter which as much as the who. He hadn’t seen Paks Laird for a while though he remembered their night out with fondness, she was truly a character. Rumours abounded after the Ball fiasco and the black mist, he had heard some disturbing tales and wondered if she was alright. The rumours about himself were just as damning, he had helped knock out an Asha’man. He had received both praises and curses. His punishment had been long standing but more lenient than he had expected upon waking that first morning.

Guess it’s hard to punish someone for something partially not their fault, though that Test...that was punishment enough he shrugged to himself as he sought out his target, batting away the insistent bad memories.

They were foggy, growing faint unless he concentrated upon them properly. Like dreams within dreams but more nightmare than anything else. He was both proud with himself and disgusted by his actions, or lack of them. He still slept badly and drank far too much of an evening but apparently that was expected. He shook himself and focused upon the task of the day, he would not burden a friend with his own issues. He grinned as he spied her off in the corner, practice dummy getting a beating as he approached slowly, just watching. Despite the chances being nil he still admired her beauty, though he admired more right then the gusto with which she seemed intent to destroy her opponent. He leaned against the railing a little to her left and crossed his arms, waiting to see if she noticed him. After a while he piped up.

“Why Paks Laird, I’ve heard some things about you and a certain Aes Sedai. When’s the marriage ceremony?” he grinned, he was merely teasing.
Last edited by Andy on April 15th, 2017, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Re: Lessons Learned [Roan]

Post by Roan » March 19th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Paks Liard
Whatever happened at the ball gave Paks the worst hangover she’d ever had, and she really hadn’t had that much to drink. The night itself had been. . .interesting. Paks wasn’t known for her good judgement, but she outdid herself the night of the ball. Snogging the Captain General and her great-great grandson. Not just a grandson, but grandson three times removed! Thus far, the repercussions of that night had yet to haunt her, and if she were lucky, they never would.

The Drin didn’t exactly throw herself into training after the ball, but she figured it best if she at least acted as if she gave a damn. It was because of this new ‘resolve’ Alrim found her beating the snot out of one of the dummies as she practiced with her dagger. There were differences between unarmed and working with a dagger, but the footwork was similar.

Paks knew someone had approached, but it wasn’t until Alrim spoke that she realized it was him. With a soft laugh, she took a step back and flashed her smirk towards the other Drin, “The rumors are true. . .in a moment of unsurpassed poor judgement, your’s truly decided to snog the Captain General.” She gave a flourished bow, but held up a finger as she came up, “Though I didn’t stop there, no. . .to continue down the path of poor decisions, I then opted to snog her kin. . .in the form of her great GREAT grandson.

“In my defense, I wasn’t exactly myself at the time. I will admit, though, I regret nothing and it is a story I will happily spin into a tale of tales until my dying days,” she added with another flourished bow. She really had no shame.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 19th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Laughter bubbled forth from within, there was nothing else for it truly. She was the consummate performer, lacking shame and regret and quite clearly enjoying every moment. He hadn’t heard anything beyond the Captain General, he should have known that there would have been more. It wouldn’t have been Paks Laird without the extra flourishes. He pushed himself off of the railings and paced slowly towards her, clapping slowly, wondering if she truly did regret nothing, of anything. She was a complicated woman and he had not spent enough time with her to tell for sure.

“And I thought we had agreed to forge a tale together too,” he raised an eyebrow at her, “a pity you didn’t run into me there too. Then again I was too busy fist fighting an Asha’man before a Novice smacked a vase over his head. Did teach the Novice to dance though, such a good boy I am these days. Such a song that would have been woven if we had collided” he snorted.

And probably would have burnt down half of the Ballroom too he noted privately.

He noted the dagger in her hand, a weapon he was not familiar with and was incidental to him for now. He could barely us a sword beyond competent, though he had to admit his trip with Nate had certainly shown him that Tower training made you better than most. That was something he was beginning to realise, that he was already decent enough. Better was better but he had to acknowledge progress already made for sake of his own sanity. Another thing Affie had taught him, even if she hadn’t meant to.

“I am glad to see that you are alright, she is not an unattractive one for an Aes Sedai but I am happy that you are still in possession of your arms and legs, clearly she has mercy in her,” he grinned, “though I see you’re trying to destroy a practise dummy. Let her go Paks, she was not meant for you” he teased as he came within arm’s reach then.

“Still, I honestly did want to make sure you were good,” he looked at her directly, “haven’t seen you in a while. Heard you were around. I’d like to say it was all fun and games but I reckon now’s probably the time to train, might come again. Whatever it was. Been trying to get Drin together, smack each other around a bit to improve ourselves. Welcome to join any time yourself of course, unless you want me to protect you?” he asked somewhat teasingly.

He left out the part about his card game and all of the rest of it. If she didn’t know she’d find out eventually.
Last edited by Andy on April 15th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » March 25th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Paks Liard
Paks flashed him a smirk, “Pretty sure I don’t need you or anyone to protect me, Alrim, though you may need me to protect you if you keep tryin’ to hustle your fellow Drin. . . that is if the rumors I hear are true, and you’ve been runnin’ a card game.” She stepped back from the dummy and stuffed the practice dagger in her belt as she moved to get a sip of water from the nearby trough.

After she drank her fill, the Drin used the ladle to pour water over her head and then ran a hand through her short-cropped hair. “And Miahala Sedai could have very well skinned me alive, but whatever made me think kissing her was a good idea distracted both her and I enough that I couldn’t get myself into yet more trouble.” It was not for lack of trying. She wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about the fact that she kissed two people from the same family from very different generations.

Poor Einion. . .once the dust settled and everyone had their wits about them, the man looked as if he might die from embarrassment. He’d been a spectacular kisser too, and Paks suddenly wondered if it was in the genes. It could potentially warrant an experiment if she found other relatives of the Aes Sedai’s family. One was the Mistress of Arms, but Paks did value her life and hide. She doubted Riahana Gaidin would be as. . .forgiving as her Great Grandmother.

Paks extended her break as she moved to leaned against the fence and looked to her friend, “Thanks for checking in on me, though. I appreciate it. So are you trying to get some of our fellow Drin to spar, or are you wanting to learn something?

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 14th, 2017, 2:46 pm

"It's an innocent game," he half-protested with a chuckle, "I do good works with it. Though if you want to stand guard and look pretty might draw in a few more for the fun so..." he trailed off with a wink before taking in a cupped handful of water himself.

"If it makes you feel better I spent the many days afterwards doing every chore known to man for punching an Asha'man and carving my name into a plant pot. From what I hear Miahala Sedai has her own fancies to kiss so she's probably too distracted to pursue you. A shame, she is Saldaean after all, could have taught you a few things" he snorted and regarded Pals afresh.

He hadn't spent as much time with her as he had meant to, a poor friend he made and he did feel bad about it. Yet every time he thought to visit something came up - Fiona, Brawn, Alric, strange black clouds of inebriation. Now that he had managed to do so he wagered he should spend a it more time than usual with her. It made her question easy to answer and given she was still talking as if she had not a care in the world he accepted she was her usual self - no new scars. As for himself, he could not count himself so lucky.

I hope she passes when she goes. Perhaps...yes perhaps I could help her. Quietly, nudging at times he told himself, it was a nice thought to believe that he could perhaps save others the same pains. He was not sure it worked that way, the point to becoming Ji was to suffer it seemed, but it was nice to think. He wondered if she knew or noticed the change in grey, he didn't mind really because he;d rather she treated him as she always had. He didn't mention it.

"How about a bit of both?" he told her as he leaned against the fence with his arms crossed, "the others can wait a while, they usually beat the Light out of each other all the time anyway. I just get them to meet up, they do the rest themselves. At the moment you are far more important. Not to mention you're practising something I had been thinking about taking up" he nodded at her weapon.

"After, if it seems I have any ability you could have some fun knocking me around. Could even do it in front of the others. if you like. I think we all need to get used to bruises these days, might not be long before something else happens to this place" his gaze turned slightly distant then, his second motivation exposed as he looked over the assembled masses hacking at each other some distance away.

"Need to be at our best eh?" he grinned and nudged her slightly with his elbow, "someone taught me that once you know? Can't recall the name but it was something about getting work done"
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » April 16th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Paks Liard
The thought of Miahala Sedai teaching Paks a thing or two was enough to make the Drin bark a laugh in reply. She shook her head, “As curious as I might be, I’ve heard the same things you have, and have no desire to cross Master Darrow more than I have. I do not think he was pleased I was thrust upon him when I came here and only mildly tolerates my presence. I don’t want to push my luck.”

Tilting her head as she held up the practice blade, “You’re welcome to train with me, but you’ll need to get yourself one of these from the weapons rack. I haven’t started working with two yet, but will once I feel competent enough with one.”

Paks looked back to the man who’d come to be known as Bells by a number of people, and gave a soft laugh as she shook her head. “I tend to think myself observant, but if I were lookout today, we all might be dead. Look at you in your spiffy new uniform You went and got raised. Here I thought we’d be Drin together forever.” She flashed a playful smirk, and then nodded towards him, “Congratulations, friend. You’re moving up in this world of ours.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 18th, 2017, 7:02 pm

"Bah, it was my disarming smile of course, nothing wrong with your eyes but thanks, we can be Ji forever if you like when you get there. And I only move up if they have me doing pull ups" he chuckled as he bid her wait and found himself one of the practise weapons from the nearby rack.

It took a few moments to choose, he knew enough that it had to be balanced right in his hand. Same principles as with the sword, if it didn't fit right then it would be useless. He shifted the one he finally chose around, throwing it up and catching it a few times, trying to reverse it in his grip clumsily but at least it didn't fall out or spin out of control due to weight or length. Didn't gash his forearm either which was an added bonus. He returned to her as speedily as he could manage and gestured his apologies for the wait.

"Somehow I feel I'm doing it wrong already but then I have the fabulous Paks to teach me what's what so I have no fear," he told her, a slight pause before, "except for my pride of course" he amended with firm honesty.

He had never really used daggers, not properly. Oh he had swaggered around with one on his hip some years ago, used it to threaten and at times maybe parry away someone attacking him but kill someone with one? Never. It was merely an extra long toothpick in his inexpert hands as he circled his wrist, trying to get used to it and shift himself out of the sword mindset. He saw the advantages of learning it though, he knew that using only one weapon made you vulnerable - it was practically drilled into him daily these days. The focus had gone from mastering a weapon to getting decent with many of them.

All the better to protect a channeller with I suppose he told himself.

"Can see you skinning me alive with on let alone two but when you do get to two let me know, I'd love to see you wipe smirks off of a few faces around here. So, how do we do this then? Are there forms or is it more fluid than that? You're not going to have me balance on one foot are you because I've had so much of that I think my legs are shorter"

He looked at her and was amused that she was the teacher but the lesser rank - nominally. In years and experience though she was always the senior and he would likely think that way even if they were both Gaidin. Sometimes respect carried more weight than rank. He didn't mind he had just assumed it would be the other way around, with her Ji and he a Drin for lifetimes.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » April 23rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

Paks Liard
Paks watched as Alrim tested the weight of the practice dagger and played with different grips. “You aren’t doing anything wrong yet, and no, I won’t have you balance on one foot. As with unarmed, and I think most weapons, footwork is extremely important. You never want to overextend yourself or find yourself off-balance because your opponent will surely take advantage of such mistakes,” the Drin explained. The eternal smirk was still there, though subdued as she focused on how to teach Alrim what she knew.

Settling into a centered stance with her right foot forward and her left foot back, Paks held up her practice blade, “There are a couple of ways to hold the dagger. A lot of people hold it in a forward grip like this.” She demonstrated with the tip pointing away from her, “This works for most daggers, and since our practice daggers are similar to a double edged blade, this grip works well.”

Reversing her hold so the tip pointed towards her elbow, Paks demonstrated another grip, “This is a reverse grip, and again, it works with our practice blades, though I think it is more suited for one edged, curved blades. Jaryd Asha’man has the kind of blade I’m talking about, if you ever see him with a dagger in hand. I personally practice both grips, as I think there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

“The reverse grip gives you added protection if you bring up your arm to block a blow from your opponent, but the forward grip might give you more control for thrusts or slashes. I find the forward grip comes more naturally to me with these straight practice blades. I’d suggest we focus on the forward grip for now, but try both. . .see how they feel.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 25th, 2017, 4:01 pm

He watched and listened, noting the shift of the blade in her palm as he demonstrated the grips. He had assumed there would just be one grip if he were honest, one which provided a nice stabbing position. He was surprised when she told him about the reverse grip as an official method but he could see the sense of what she was saying and how each one would be good for different things. If he were honest he could see him using the reverse grip most often if it came to it. The dagger would be a back up weapons for him, behind the sword.

Any situation that I don't have my sword is going to be defensive I reckon he told himself as he took the opportunity to roughly try out the switching between grips as Paks continued to speak, flicking between the two with a little difficulty and a certain lack of finesse.

"I haven't had much chance to see Jaryd Asha'man in action, not sure I can remember seeing him use those things at all actually," he mused aloud, "but I'll definitely keep an eye out, see which type you're telling me about Paks. Alright then, let's see how I do eh?"

He made the mental note to keep an eye out for the man and his weapons as he settled in to the forward grip first, doing his best to mimic Paks positioning, blade angle and arm height. As he came to think on it and try to act it out he found there was much more to this weapon than initially seemed apparent. Such a small blade meant your body seemed to matter more. Perhaps it was because he was not used to it but he thought there was something to the line of thinking.

He took a few experimental thrusts and slashes, the light weapon felts a little strange and the force he put into them was perhaps more than required and so he over-shot a bit here and there. He reversed the blade and went for an imagined block above and to both the sides. He tried for an upward cut too but it was harder when the blade was pointing away from the target, he had to twist his wrist a bit uncomfortably. He tried a few more times, switching grips occasionally, before stopping.

"I tell you what Paks, damned different from a sword despite the similar looks. Still, reckon it'll be a good choice for a weapon, never can have too many," he winked, "what made you get into it?"
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » May 8th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Paks Liard
The Drin watched her friend tentatively test each grip while sparring with an imaginary opponent. More than once, the man found himself off balance, but Paks didn’t correct him. They’d both trained enough in the Yards that he’d know he over committed. As expected, he corrected his mistakes as he gave it another go. It was clear he was used to working with swords given the way he over-reacted. Working with daggers was more subtle than swords, which suited Paks just fine.

Each time Alrim lunged, Paks heard the bells in his hair jingle, and her lips twitched in response. It amused her to hear something so cheerful and melodic while practicing arts of war. “I tell you what Paks, damned different from a sword despite the similar looks. Still, reckon it'll be a good choice for a weapon, never can have too many. What made you get into it?”

Paks spun her own practice dagger in the palm of her right hand as she shrugged, “Happened to be in the right place at the right time when Jaryd Asha’man offered to teach a load of us. I was quite happy sticking with unarmed, but figured it might be useful. Found I liked it, as it takes a lot of the footwork and blocking I already knew from unarmed and incorporated it.

“It’s not nearly as flashy as swords. . .and flashy as I might be when out on the prowl, I find with the skills we learn here, I prefer subtle. You may not have noticed, but I’m not a typical fighter, nor am I a typical Drin. I do not take myself as seriously as many of our counterparts,” she said, her smirk broadening. “I conform where I must, but I am who I am, and won’t lose myself in the cause. I can only be me, after all.” In other words, she had no desire to be what she saw as anything close to stuffy. She fully expected the Master of Training to come down on her one day, but thus far, she’d gotten by none the worse for ware. She’d been a Drin longer than most, and doubted the powers that be thought of her as worthy material to become a Gaidin. . .especially given how she came to be at the Tower in the first place.

“You’ve already seen daggers are similar to, but nothing like swords. You can combine what you know of unarmed combat with what you do with daggers to some degree. There aren’t any fancy names for moves, and I’m not sure I can teach specific moves. Having said that, let’s spar. I think you might learn more by actively doing than me demonstrating against a static dummy,” Paks offered as she settled into a defensive stance, holding her dagger in a forward grip.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik