Lessons Learned [Roan]

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Lessons Learned [Roan]

Post by Andy » June 10th, 2017, 4:54 pm

“Best part about you Paks,” he told her with certainty, “always said that you can’t build an army without a bit of fun thrown in. It’s what we are after all. If people like you weren’t around I’d think the place would be too dull and grey for its own good. Unconventional is important, Light you’ll probably make a better Warder than me one day” he grinned at her.

He kept shifting the practise dagger in his hand as he talked, trying to get used to its angles and length. It reminded him off how he felt out swords, he had to admit. He supposed he was quite tactile when it came to his weapons, he went more by feel than by the book. He’d take something that fit over something well made any day. He saw the sense of what Paks said about unarmed too, he could see it as an extension and that framed it as relateable to him better than trying to think of it as a smaller sword.

“Though, I have learned that some causes are better than others. Almost worth getting lost for. Guess we’ll have to see if I still feel that way with that nice, flashy Fancloak eh?”

That was something that he had learned about himself, too, he reflected as he nodded at Paks and settled into a defensive unarmed stance and thought through how he might move with the dagger added. The Test had shown him what he could be, even if it had done it in a bloody painful way. If he lived up to even half of it then he was a better man than even his father might have thought he could be, he reasoned. It was a long way off yet though, he knew. He shifted between offensive and defensive stances, trying to get the angling and positioning of the blade right but after a few tries as she watched him in bemusement he knew she was right.

“Learn by doing” he muttered.

With that he went for a basic attack, a diagonal cut that he would try to follow with another reversed one afterwards. He was cautious and aware that his free hand would be used for blocking in this scenario but in truth he was groping along with no experience and trying to cobble together a style he was not too familiar with. He fully expected to be embarrassed by Paks but then again he preferred that to getting beaten by a real enemy sometime down the line.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » June 10th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Paks Liard
Sparring wasn’t exactly new to Paks, but most of those she sparred against were Drin who were as green as she was with regards to weapons skills. She knew Alrim was proficient with sword, and some of that would translate to daggers. Perhaps not the forms, but certainly in reflexes and footwork.

As Alrim came at with her with a diagonal cut, she took a quick step back, followed by another as he followed the first cut with a second. She then moved in a slow circle as she watched how he held himself. Those she sparred with who preferred the sword often left themselves a bit more open as the dagger didn’t offer as much protection.

Taking a step forward, she feinted a thrust with her dagger, and as he moved to block it, she took another step in and twisted her body so she was facing the same direction he was. She had his one arm trapped against her body as her reverse grip brought the dagger up and she attempted to get a touch at his mid-section.

Alrim’s work with swords meant he had good reflexes, though, and he stepped back. Paks found herself off balance and stumbling. She should have seen it coming, but didn’t anticipate. Instinct kicked in and she tried to push clear of him, her free hand coming up to block the expected slash.

Both Drin and Ji’val took a step back, and Paks offered her friend a smirk, “Not bad. Not bad at all. Footwork is as important as blade work. You could have had me on my arse a moment ago. One thing I hear Gaidin yell at all of us is to remember what you learn from other weapons. Those skills are transferable, and it seems you’ve learned that lesson already.” She settled into a defensive stance, “Come at me again. Let’s see who can knock who on their arse, eh?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 10th, 2017, 8:01 pm

“You’re nimble, you do yourself too little credit. But thank you for the pointer” he smiled back at her.

It had been quick and reactive more than thought through, he had to admit. His actions were more fluid these days but he was still jerkier and less rapid with this new weapon. Strange, he thought, because it was lighter. He supposed he had used a sword so much no it was becoming part of him, a dark thought in and of its self. Still he was happy enough with not being shown up in the first exchange. He had seen the Gaidin were like that, living weapons so the legends said. He could believe it but he was not so sure he was there yet. Or if he ever would be.

Not sure about the rest but doing okay so far he told himself, thinking more confidently than he felt.

He breathed in and stepped forwards, aiming a thrust at her head with his right hand as his left foot lashed out at her knee, taking her words about unarmed very literally in the developing of his rudimentary style. She blocked both and countered with her own, sharp jab – dagger edge forwards – that he had to bat aside with his free hand as he stepped back to gain some room. Paks didn’t let up though and he had to twist his torso away from a thrust and lash out with his own dagger to force some space. A small smile of genuine pleasure slipped across his lips, he did like being challenged despite his lazy past.

“Sure you’re not holding back?” he asked her with some mirth before joining the fray once more.

This time he tried to think more like the dagger was a sword and incorporate some of what he knew in unarmed where he could. Dagger blades met as the exchange began, brief and testing, before meeting again. Paks was more dexterous, twirling hers to bat away his and lash out with her second. He had to all but duck under it in is attempt to step inside her defence and only managed a slight graze on her hip as he felt an edge graze his scalp. Evens so far but if he were honest with himself head beat hip nine times out of ten. He stepped back with a laugh.

“I should spar with you more Paks, you are quite the whirlwind” he told her as he settled into a defensive stance.

He had tried attacking and had not had much luck, perhaps he would have more in defence, he reasoned.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » June 11th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Paks Liard
Paks flashed a smirk as the two settled back into respective guard stances, “You know where to find me, Alrim.” She scanned the edge of the area the two were sparring in, and her smirk broadened, “Seems you have a bit of a fan-club of sorts.” With this, she nodded to the edge, where a few Novices and Accepted lined up.

“They don’t come out here to watch me, this much I know,” the Drin replied. There weren’t many Novices or Accepted Paks chased after. . .it was too much hassle, especially since the Novices had roommates. There was only one Novice Paks had any interest in, and she was nowhere to be seen at the moment.

Studying Alrim’s stance, Paks knew he was inviting her to attack. She was more than happy to oblige as two shuffled steps closed the distance between the two of them. With a forward grip, Paks lunged forward, thrusting at the Ji’Val’s midsection. Alrim took a step back and twisted his body as he blocked with his blade. Paks pressed advantage, taking a step forward, planting her left foot as she brought her right knee around to hit his.

Her sparring partner adapted quickly to his new weapon, though, and shuffled back. Paks went from being on the offensive to the defensive very quickly, as the last move left her open. Alrim thrust his dagger, aiming for her exposed back. All she could think to do was wrap her arm around his, and hold it close and tight to her side. While it meant he couldn’t effectively stab, Paks’ own dagger was now immobile, but she brought her free hand up to land a ‘pulled’ punch to his mid-section.

The Drin didn’t expect Alrim to double over, but he did, and she tapped the back of his head with her elbow. It wouldn’t have been a killing blow in a fight, but it would have incapacitated him. She let go of his arm and took a step back, smirk firmly in place, “I don’t hold back, but I dare say you might be? Come on, Swords. You can do better than that.”

Paks settled back into a defensive stance, watching Alrim as he stood up again. “I know you can get the better of me. We’re not stopping until you do.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 12th, 2017, 4:37 pm

"Ah yes, the throng. Feeling like meat can be quite fun sometimes," he snorted as he stepped back and breathed in after losing the bout, "perhaps one day I'll attract someone serious. Though I wouldn't be so sure they're all here for me" he raked his fingers through his hair to the jingle of bells and with a grin span the dagger in his palm before gripping it firmly.

He was getting used to it now, far from perfect but the practical exercise Paks had tasked him with was proving much swifter to learn than endless forms. Either that or he was just good at picking things up on the fly, he wasn't sure which it was. He supposed it was easier when he already knew the sword and unarmed and he decided to set a new tactic as he paced around her, circling almost casually as he ran through what few weaknesses he had gleaned so far.

Gets in close too often maybe. Quick feet and hands but slower to turn? Smaller so less reach and also less strength, though she knows how to compensate for that. I wonder... he threw the dagger up slightly and caught it in reverse as it reached its apex.

He was not the most conventional of fighters he had been told and so he used that, closing the gap quickly and feinting an attack he didn't mean to connect, stepping sideways and trying to get behind her as she went for the solid deflection. She was quick to react and turn but he kept up the circling, seeking more to disorient than anything else. He abruptly shifted feet and pushed off the opposite way, dagger thrusting out to be parried as Paks began moving back the other way to try to keep track of him.

It was then that he began to try to land strikes, first an overhead slash that was batted away and he stepped back and circled again so he was out of her reach, using his arm length to make it easier for himself. He smiled, he was enjoying the game. He stopped stepped inside and back the other way to begin the attack in earnest. Foot lashed out at ankle to miss but his free hand came up to push her dagger arm across her body as Paks went for a thrust to force him back. His own dagger came around and went for her head but she ducked and he continued his momentum to clear her and turn to see her settling back into a guard position.

"I really wish they wouldn't natter like that, very distracting" he breathed as they met each other again, Paks getting the better this time and forcing him back with two solid cuts that he had to twist and bend to avoid.

He ignored the Novices and Accepted to the best of his ability as they voiced for their favourite and instead closed the gap once more. Daggers met each other, block and riposte as he tried to get her to twists just enough for one move. He got his chance as she went for his jaw-line with a thrust and he ducked under it, stepping into her guard. She went for the grapple again, to pin him like she had done before, but he was ready this time and already meeting her attack, gripping her forearm with his free hand and with his dagger hand pushing at her shoulder, leg hooking behind her calf to act as the fulcrum. He didn't need much force and he did keep hold of her to slow her down so Paks didn't hit the ground hard.

"You did ask," he grinned down at her before puling her back up to her feet, "fun weapon. Still think you're better than me at it but fun all the same. Again? Or are you not wanting to embarrass me too much in front of the crowd" he chuckled.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » June 19th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Paks Liard
Paks flashed a smirk as Alrim pulled her back to her feet, “I did indeed ask. The way I see it, we’re all tied. Next person to be on the receiving end of a lethal blow buys the other a drink. Sound good?” She dusted herself off as she waited for his answer, and took a moment to look at the crowd that seemed to gather. It wasn’t all Novices and Accepted. There were a few other Drin and Ji’Val who were watching too. Might as well give them a show, right?

The Drin settled into a guard stance and rolled her shoulders a couple of times, “I won’t be holding back, and don’t expect you to either, got it?” Seeing he was in a guard stance of his own, Paks didn’t wait for his answer as she launched herself forward, feinting a thrust across her body. As he moved to block the thrust, she grabbed for his wrist, and attempted to get her hip and leg behind his.

Alrim twisted out of her grip, and Paks shuffled back, blocking a slash with her left forearm. It would leave a bruise, and in a real fight, would have cut her, but not been fatal (so long as she got it Healed). With the block, she pressed advantage, and tried to strike at his side, but the Ji’Val jumped back.

Drin and Ji’Val both settled into a guard stance, and Paks smirked, “Not bad. Not bad at all.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm

As they danced back and forth that smile crept back into his features gradually, the one where his confidence came up against a wall and he was forced to work, to try and to exert himself. Lazy as he had been before he was far happier of late being pushed, being shown how much he had left to improve. It helped that he was sparring with not just an able opponent but a friend and one easy on the eyes at that. In some ways he thought she became more alive as she pivoted and slashed than she had been in the tavern so long ago.

"I had a good teacher" he responded happily, breathing deeply to regain the air he had used quickly, before commencing the assault once more.

It was indeed a dance as he stepped in with an upwards slash to the jaw that was ducked under, stepping back himself and circling to avoid the thrust from Paks to gain distance. Each time they seemed to try to read each other's minds and their attacks were either avoided or blocked. Dagger forearms met with a thud that made him wince as they locked across their bodies briefly. Both went for the grapple and Paks kicked him back. He stumbled but his feet slid across the ground just in time to bat away a hit which would have had stars in his eyes.

"Very good teacher" he muttered almost to himself as he stepped back and settled into a guard stance.

Paks was relentless though and was quickly upon him, seeking to keep him off balance. Dagger blades scraped each other as the crowd watched and called for their chosen to be victorious. Alrim went for a reverse cut that spun him around and around for another, a third as he let his momentum carry him until Paks went for the counter to stop him half-way through and he had to use his left forearm to block the attack - a nice cut across his forearm would have been his reward but not death. He grinned as he disengaged though he could feel the splinters in his skin beneath the throbbing of the impact.

Ah the mirror, to see one just as quick and adaptable. If only I had her heart and spirit too he mused to himself as he felt the spar beating towards its inevitable conclusion.

They met once more and this time it was quite like a mirror image of sorts, anticipation gaining ground as they probed each other's styles and tricks. A leg sweep jumped over by both at different occasions, daggers meeting to distract as grapples came in to meet each other and then breaking away. Pivoting ripostes and penetrating thrusts that were met. All this until the time came when they hit each other at the same time - Paks flipping her weapon into a reverse cut across his left thigh and Alrim with a cut of his own that scraped across her ribs before they stepped back once more.

"Could be here for a while" he breathed as he patted some feeling back into his leg and went into a guard stance once more.
~
~

Roan

Post by Roan » June 21st, 2017, 10:44 pm

Paks Liard
Paks flashed a smirk as Alrim pulled her back to her feet, “I did indeed ask. The way I see it, we’re all tied. Next person to be on the receiving end of a lethal blow buys the other a drink. Sound good?” She dusted herself off as she waited for his answer, and took a moment to look at the crowd that seemed to gather. It wasn’t all Novices and Accepted. There were a few other Drin and Ji’Val who were watching too. Might as well give them a show, right?

The Drin settled into a guard stance and rolled her shoulders a couple of times, “I won’t be holding back, and don’t expect you to either, got it?” Seeing he was in a guard stance of his own, Paks didn’t wait for his answer as she launched herself forward, feinting a thrust across her body. As he moved to block the thrust, she grabbed for his wrist, and attempted to get her hip and leg behind his.

Alrim twisted out of her grip, and Paks shuffled back, blocking a slash with her left forearm. It would leave a bruise, and in a real fight, would have cut her, but not been fatal (so long as she got it Healed). With the block, she pressed advantage, and tried to strike at his side, but the Ji’Val jumped back.

Drin and Ji’Val both settled into a guard stance, and Paks smirked, “Not bad. Not bad at all.”
___
The truth of it was that Alrim was incorporating much of other forms of fighting into what he was doing with the dagger. While sword forms wouldn’t really serve one well, unarmed skill was an asset when it came to daggers. Paks knew a thing or two about unarmed as well, so she could more than hold her own. Her benefit was she’d had more experience with daggers than the Ji’Val.

“We could be,” Paks agreed, though her smirk grew a bit broader. “Mind. . .I could have been holdin’ back on you just a tad. Don’t want the pretty lasses to think you are a total pushover,” she added, the mischievous glint in her eye matched her smirk. In the back of her mind, she had a hint of an idea that could, if executed well, bring an end to their sparring match. It would require quick reflexes and Alrim moving in a specific way, so there was no guarantee she’d manage to pull it off. Only one way to find out.

The Drin did two quick shuffle steps forward, slashing horizontally with her blade, testing his reflexes, and driving him back. Arlim countered easily, but then fluidly moved forward into a feinted slash followed by a thrust to the face. Paks ducked as she brought up her free hand to land a touch on his mid-section. He’d expected it and twisted out of the way and back a step.

For her part, Paks didn’t relent as she drove her attack forward, again forcing Alrim to give ground. Knowing he’d want to turn the tables, she feinted a thrust, which he went to block and then advanced his own attack. She took one step back as she ducked a thrust to the right shoulder, and another as he slashed at her. Using her free hand, she grabbed him as she stepped forward, on the outside of his arm and body, pulling him past her, and pivoting, taking his arm with her and twisting it behind his back. A split second later, her practice blade was at his throat.

Paks couldn’t help the soft laugh, “And that’s a touch.” She gave him a peck on the cheek before letting him go, the eternal smirk firmly in place, “That might even get you a bit of sympathy from the onlookers.” Off in the distance somewhere a bell told, and Paks knew it to be the end of training for the day. She cast a sidelong glance at Alrim, “What do you think about getting cleaned up and finding a tavern for a hair o’ the dog, so to speak?”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 25th, 2017, 10:23 am

The delicious deception revealed, his hubris at even entertaining the thought that he was a natural with weaponry laid bare by a pretty smile and a mischievous spirit. As soon as Paks told him of her holding back he knew it was soon to be over - you only revealed such a thing if you were confident of winning and winning fast. It was, indeed, over quickly though he did his best to forestall the ending as he rather enjoyed sparring with his betters. Still, he lost ground, the practise dagger coming closer and closer as the gathered observers quietened.

Oh they know an ending when they see it. Poor Novices, their shattered illusions he told himself with mirth as he leaned, parried and finally fell for the trick.

Even though he knew it was coming, felt her shift tactics quicker than he could react to, there still came that slight burning of his cheeks. Especially with the little touch of the lips Paks imparted, it was impossible not to redden with slight embarrassment. He was not sure she was right about the sympathy but he hoped, at the very least, that the story of the bout would not spread too far. But it would, he knew, of course it would. He chuckled at the thought of what prospective Bond seekers would make of it. Suddenly he laughed, a short and barking laugh as he raked his fingers through his hair and gave Paks a jingling bow of respect.

"You are ever the entertainer. I am not sure you will ever lose that Paks," he snorted, "I hope not. Makes this place much less boring and far warmer for it. Perhaps next time it will not be so easy, no?" he mused aloud, the promise to himself that he would practise when he could though his sword would always take precedence.

It took a few moments to put the practise blades back in their places, the words about finishing work and doing things properly tumbling in his mind from their first meeting what seemed long ago now. There was no chance of him turning down her offer to have some fun, this time he'd get them through the gate like Brawn had got him through when they had decided adventure was needed. He had been a terrible friend after all, not seeing Paks for so long. He owed her at least a few drinks and some fun.

"I think, my roguish friend, that we will have more than the dog's hair by then end but I can think of no finer way to spend time" he grinned as they set off in search of a different kind fun.
~
~

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik