Sweat, Toil and Temperament [Attn: Marla]

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Sweat, Toil and Temperament [Attn: Marla]

Post by Andy » March 22nd, 2017, 5:26 pm

It was difficult to listen properly after the smile blossomed, though he tried his best. He would have fought quite a few others for the chance to walk down the streets of Shol Arbela with one such as Fiona and he had been gifted her company without any effort, it left him somewhat unbalanced without having to bat away internal thoughts of the less than prudish nature. It definitely did not help that she knew how to show off her figure with her hands either. The look was, frankly, not required for the reddening of his cheeks but it certainly helped them along their way. One day, he decided, he would learn how to do pretty women what pretty women did to him.

One day he told himself, not particularly hopeful but determined to try.

“No, I sure he did not,” he responded with a curl of his lips, “Ravak can be quite...definitive of what is right and wrong. So I have heard. Luckily my on meeting with him was a bit more...personal” he finished, leaving it at that for now.

“I think it’s good that you find things that you enjoy, as well as enjoyed by others,” he chuckled and eyed her back more directly than he intended to, “I never learned to do so. Perhaps I should but then there’s only so much you can do with my clothing that would...enhance” he made a mental note to ask her about hidden pockets though, amongst other things. Another time.

It was the next portion of conversation that caused him the most intrigue and not only because she cut off mid speech and dismissed it after a pause. He was too polite to challenge her on their first meeting but it told him that there was a story she had not revealed, beyond what had been hinted at previously. He let her finish and watched her, how her face and hands became so animated at her words, before speaking himself.

“That’s an admirable thing that you do, helping others. I try to help out at the orphanage but I reckon that my real talent will be with a blade. Never been too good at helping others, mostly myself. Tower changed that but it’ll be killing Shadowspawn that’s my contribution more than likely”

“As for allegiance, always found it easier to make it about people than places. Like you, for instance. Much easier that way, know what I’m fighting for,” he said before his mind could catch up. trying not to look to abashed and recovering as quickly as possible at the mention of dice.

Their walking had taken them further than seemed reasonable in the time spent together to his mind but he wasn’t complaining about the distraction. His face genuinely lit up though, he did like a gamble and she was right about the trick - he had scammed his way through many a purse in his past. He didn’t want to do that to Fiona but he might show her some for free. He put his arm around through hers and decided that being a rogue was not so bad as to keep it all secret.

“Tell me,” he asked as he pushed open the door with his foot, “have you ever played a game called Find the Lady? It’s a wonderful way of learning the great arts of trickery and sleight of hand,” he grinned at her as he spied a table off to one side, “and surprisingly it can even help with dice. I find them to be much more honest than required at times but would be willing to risk some flutters honestly with you if it gets you smiling”

He sat down after waiting for Fiona to sit, taking out his own cup and dice, putting them down before him. He carried it everywhere these days, he was starting to enjoy mixing in his old life with his new one where he could. He made sure that the rigged dice were tucked neatly in his pocket and did not intend to use them. As the tavern lass came over he deferred to his companion upon food.

“So, my dear Fiona, what is it that you like? And what is it you would play for?”
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » March 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Fiona the Flirt
Oh I like this. Fiona tilted her head up to look at her companion, absently brushing strands of golden hair out of her face with her free hand. “I have not played Find the Lady,” she admitted. “I’ve mostly stuck with dice- there are too many rules to cards, and the locals get antsy about sleight of hand when someone obviously from the Tower is sitting across the table. I should certainly like to learn!” Would her luck hold with that kind of game? Only one way to find out!

The Andoran did not want to let go of the Drin (Don’t be ridiculous, Fiona!), but when they reached a table within the tavern -one she had not previously frequented, she noted with some relief- she had no choice. At least he didn’t hesitate to settle across from her. Her fingers itched to grab at the dice cup he placed on the table, but a serving woman interrupted them, rattling off a list of their menu options in a monotone.

Fiona glanced at Alrim, a lifetime of court training dictating that she at least allow him the opportunity to take the lead. “So, my dear Fiona, what is it that you like? And what is it you would play for?” That wasn’t helpful, but thankfully the small woman did not lack in decisiveness.

“I’ll take the chicken, some of your root vegetables, and whatever fruit you have available that is cheap,” she said. After a moment she added, “and just water, please. I don’t think anyone here wants to see me get drunk this soon after High, do they?” She spoke seriously, but her eyes strayed to her companion, and her lips curved up. Something told her he wouldn’t mind in the slightest...and that was a dangerous path to tread just yet. The servant took herself off after the Drin ordered, and Fiona let that particular thought drift away.

That left the two of them sitting alone again, with the Arafellin’s question hanging in the air unanswered. Fiona reached for the dice cup, shaking it idly between her palms. “I usually play for small coins; the pension Accepted get is not so great that I can afford to lose it all in one game,” she commented thoughtfully. She was not terribly surprised when the sound of dice rattling and bouncing continued even after the bits of bone had sprawled across the table. Four crowns and a four-pip stared up at her. It’s going to be one of those days, is it? She gave the Arafellin a more intent look. Was he the sort to use weighted dice with a new acquaintance? He seemed so easy and open, but then...many who played that game were good at such tricks. Like me, she thought, amused despite herself.

“I am feeling like something a bit different today," she continued, looking up at him through her eyelashes. “If I win this game...let’s see. You will tell me your greatest dream, no matter how ridiculous, out of reach, or selfish it may seem. If you win...well, you get to set your terms, so what shall they be?”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » March 28th, 2017, 8:44 pm

He had to laugh at the suggestion that his game was one played with dice, not out of a desire to chastise as would be clear but because it was so far from what his own experience that it seemed quite alien. The very idea that he would give anyone a fair chance with Find the Lady was strange indeed, quite the opposite in fact. He was quite conscious of her hold though, and the way she looked at him as she pushed her hair back, it was endearing. He had never truly courted but he knew enough to know he was valued, after a fashion.

"Beef, dripping and with bread and that lovely butter you have here. Thick stew preferably, ale too" he stated as Fiona finished her order, looking at her carefully, "I have now qualms about drink. Often makes one more honest" he smiled softly, it was a statement not a barb but she likely would take it as such given her...evasiveness.

He had noted how she looked at him first, seemingly he had missed a tell somewhere. Perhaps she had expected him to say something first. A strange custom yet she was from strange lands to him. Lands unknown. Still, it piqued his interest, few held such protocol. He tilted his head as he regarded her, taking out his pack of cards, eyeing the dice upon the table between them.

Lucky indeed he thought to himself as he spread three cards, one a queen and left them face up.

"Find the Lady is less a game and more a trick," he told her with a grin as he shifted the cards, "often used to exploit other's greed. You show them where you want them to think the Lady is, make sure they aren't there. Let's say that it means you know how to move things unseen" he shrugged, sliding them cards to one side and considering her offer.

It was a bold offer, she wanted something more valuable than coins. He knew that as did she. Small coins indeed, the gall! He knew the value of information. With the right names she could find out his family, his history. She could own him much easier than any monetary debt ever could impose. He grinned broadly.

"I like it," he commented, "but suitably high stakes deserve the same for your end too, no? You're asking a little window into Alrim Farshera. Fair is fair, goes both ways. I'll tell you what you want to know, if you tell me why you...almost lied to me before. That pause, too obvious. Accomplish that as a...what I wonder?" he looked at her levelly then.

"But then words are only that, words," he scooped up the dice and rattled them in the cup, "I find actions to be far more revealing. Still, you set the terms. So, you lose you tell me what you were before this Tower business. Take it," he threw three crowns a three and a five, " or leave it" he placed the cup down with a deliberate grin.

"You're choice Fiona"
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » March 31st, 2017, 12:52 am

Fiona quirked her lips to the side, head tilting as she looked the Arafellin up and down. With dice she knew she would win; with cards the guarantee was somewhat less, and she wasn’t sure if it would help her at all with sleight of hand. Am I playing to win, or am I playing because it seemed like a good way to pass the time and get to know him? Of course the answer was the latter, but… What if he wins and this easy banter fades away? Alrim did not seem the sort who typically sought out the company of nobility. Then again...perhaps he was having similar thoughts about the question she had asked. He had shown remarkable skill at deflecting conversation back to her, and that could mean any number of interesting things.

There was only one way to find out for sure, Fiona was not one to turn away from a challenge anyway. “I accept your terms,” the Andoran said, meeting Alrim’s eyes with a challenging smile. “In fact, I will take it one step further. If I lose I will tell you what I was and why I left, and you can decide if I am still worth your time.”

She fluttered her eyelashes flirtatiously, then settled back in her chair, studying the cards he had placed on the table. Face cards were typically painted to look like a current ruler, she knew that, but she didn’t recognize the Queen’s face as painted. “Are your cards from Arafel, or simply an older deck?” she asked curiously. "Who is she?" Then she shook her head held up her hands with a soft laugh. "Perhaps I should save my questions for the betting pool," the blonde girl said in a mischievous tone. "And on that note...you said it’s a trick. How exactly do I ‘Find the Lady’?”
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 5th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Interesting, she doubles the stakes in a challenge. Speaks of boldness. And foolishness. Or perhaps she believes herself lucky. I approve but any Warder is going to have their hands full that's for damned sure he told himself as he paused, looking at her and nodded with a softer smile this time, one of approval.

"Oh I don't think you need to prove your worth," he leaned back in his chair slightly as the drinks arrived and he took a sip or two, "but if you think you do then I'll be happy to play to prove you wrong" he shrugged, he was his own worst critic admittedly, perhaps she was the same.

He flicked the rather battered edges of his card deck fondly, a truly soft look in his eyes, a look of memory tinged with a fond regret. He spread them with his free hand in a line before sliding them back into a rough deck once more. Between he took out three cards, the one Fiona had pointed out and two others at random. He also used the distraction to slip one down his sleeve where it would stay for the time being, he wondered if she had noticed but it was not part of the game at any rate.

"Ah yes," he sipped his drink again, "old friends these cards. And old friend is she - Tenobia...something something. Long names those Saldaean. Never met her but she's won me many things. Got the deck from an old friend. Don't speak anymore. Can't. As for the game" he settled into the table and began to shift the cards around.

"It's a game of chance though most people think it's skill," he turned the Queen and shifted them again around, under, over, "see, there is a trick to it if you know what to look for. It's not an honest game, really. But it let's you know the character of others" he dropped the queen atop a card as she passed and threw that card down in her place, shifting them a few more times this way to further confuse matters, showing the queen another time before letting them fall, face down.

"Find the Lady," he gestured widely at the cards and took up his drink once more, "and for fun what is your favourite number?"

As she chose he would flick the card from his sleeve to spin in the air before catching it to show it to her, he would likely get it wrong, the odds were not in favour but it would hopefully be amusing nonetheless, he wanted to see her laugh at least.
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 6th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Don’t speak anymore. Can’t. Fiona tilted her head to the side as she listened to Alrim’s explanation, but those specific words tangled with the dice in her head. Were he and this unnamed person no longer friends? Had he -or she, Fiona corrected herself- died? The cards had seen a great deal of love.

Speaking of which...blue eyes watched Alrim’s hands and the cards beneath them intently, tracking the Queen as he pushed it around. He moved quickly and both his words and the tumbling dice in her head were distracting. The irony of the latter did not escape her; so often her luck assisted, and now it ran direct interference. What did that mean, exactly? She blinked, realizing she could no longer be certain which card was the Queen. There? Or, wait- she frowned a little, reaching up to twirl golden curls about her fingers.

“Find the Lady,” Alrim announced as if he had read her thoughts, and reached for his drink. "and for fun what is your favourite number?"

The small Andoran blinked, reaching for her glass and taking a sip. “I….suppose my favorite number right now is four,” she said, her lips curving upward. Four noblewomen stood between herself and her aunt’s throne, assuming Andor did not fall to another Succession War. That seemed as good a thing as any to base a favorite number on.

Bells tinkled as the man produced a card from his sleeve. “How did you do that?” She demanded as she snatched at the card, her laugh delighted and surprised all at once. He pulled it out of her reach (which was not exactly difficult to do) and she crossed her arms, allowing herself to pout a little as she looked up at it. “I don’t suppose that happens to be a six, does it?” She asked.

The Arafellin flipped it with a bit of flair, to display seven pips in red paint. Fiona laughed again. “You were very close,” she told him, eyes dancing. “As for the Lady…” she hesitated, looking down at the cards. The dice tumbled, and tumbled, and tumbled as her fingers hovered over the bits of wood, but they did not stop, gave no indication of which to choose. Finally she bit her lip and pointed at the one she thought was correct. “There.”

The Drin did not bother to hide his amusement when he turned the card over to reveal two pips in black. The Andoran tilted her head as she stared at it, surprised despite herself. How long has it been since I lost a gamble without doing so purposely? Although this was less a gamble and more a guess, so perhaps that had something to do with it. Her fingers flexed about her cup as she gnawed on her lip.

“My name is Fiona Trakand,” she said after a moment. “I am the eldest daughter of Lady Madene Trakand, who is in line for the Andoran throne, and Lord Loran Mantear.” She looked up at Alrim, cheeks flushed pink. “I ran away because I learned my mother had signed a contract, promising me to House Baryn in an arranged marriage.” She was fairly certain now that the man in question had not been Tristram, but thinking of the soldier still made her feel odd. “I didn’t want to be remembered only for my lineage. I want to simply be...me, and to be remembered by the good I do with my own two hands. So….I came here.”
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 6th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Things were as they should be. He was having fun, or amused at least. He had drink and he had a pretty lass to keep him company, albeit she was one of the prettier ones. Confidence, how it could leave you vulnerable. He would remember that in times to com but for now he was busy chuckling and playing the rogue. He had not got her number but she was at least oblivious as to how he got the card where it was. He grinned and placed it atop the deck to the side.

"Oh I did it when you were looking elsewhere," he sipped his drink, "I think you were asking about the game. When someone focuses they block out everything, even tricks. First rule, just for you - people believe what they want to believe" he leaned in conspiratorially with a chuckle.

"So they see what they want. And bet what they want, It's why they bet against themselves" he said as she selected her card and he turned it over with his most conciliatory grin before drinking once more.

That was his first mistake. The second was to not control himself and to choke. The third was to not be at all manly and reserved about the whole incident and fell backwards in his chair, scrabbling back to sitting red faced after. Truth be told he didn't much care for her rank but he had linked arms with royal blood and led her into a tavern like a commoner. He was more concerned that an assassin would shove a dagger in him any moment than anything else. He pulled at his collar and downed the rest of his drink, what was left, before placing the cup aside.

"Well...that's...not what I expected" he stated weakly as he tried to rally himself, "I wont lie to you, that is...well it's....well you are...Light words fail me at the worst times" he chastised himself and shook his head to the music of bells.

"Right, put it this way," he stated when he had recovered and wiped his chin somewhat, "I don't care where you come from. You are Fiona to me. Even if you have...an interesting family tree," he shrugged, "though I suppose your parents would not want you spending time with me at all" he shrugged.

Or breathing the same air, or drinking the same water or... the list was endless and he ceased it.

"But then I doubt many spend time with those such as me, I know what I know for a reason," he scooped up the dice into the cup and passed it to her, "welcome to the man who got kicked out of Arafel, if you roll better I'll tell you whatever you want to know. Fair s fair and I won a...well quite a big prize" he looked at her, h meant more than just the game.

He let her rattle them and just before she might throw them he said anything, it was always best to do so when distracted he knew.

"You know you're more than a title right? Why would you think otherwise?"
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 9th, 2017, 4:13 am

The Arafellin reacted somewhat as Fiona had expected him to. On one side it was comforting to know that she had managed to slip into obscurity again; on the other, she braced herself for rigid formality and an end to their banter now Alrim knew what manner of human he spoke to.There were few enough who did not change their behavior in some way, it was simply a matter of which direction the wind blew.

The Drin surprised her again. You are Fiona to me. Even if you have an interesting family tree. Spoken after he finished sputtering. The Accepted looked down, golden locks falling about her face. Did she believe him? It was difficult to decide. If the dice had stopped rattling Fiona would have left immediately, but they continued to bounce about.

Alrim had continued on, but another thing stood out. I suppose your parents would not want you spending time with me at all. Probably not. It was one thing to study with a Wisdom, quite another to sit in a smoky tavern with a man who admitted to knowing a trickster’s craft. She tucked that comment away to address later if the chance arose.

Fiona knew the Drin’s purpose in asking his question just as she released the dice, but she already knew she would win the roll. The bits of bone poured out and cascaded across the table, coming to a halt just short of his forearms. Five crowns. She grinned up at the Arafellin, both eyebrows raised. “Beat that,” she said cheerfully, pushing the cup at him. “Though I s’pose we didn’t specify the game, so that could be low or high.”

The pale girl watched him gather the dice, her thoughts busy. Finally she decided to simply tell him what she had been thinking a moment before. It was less painful than what her mother had done, and she did not want to put a pall on their game. “People who learn what I am treat me differently...it’s particularly bad with the politically motivated, but it happens with nearly everyone to one degree or another. It’s hard to believe I’m more than a title when the contrast in behavior is so very stark.”

Fiona saw the tell-tale shift in Alrim’s grip and made a rapid decision. It was true she was more than a title; she was also a pretty face and a curvy body, and her new friend had not hidden his appreciation of both nearly as well as he thought. She subtly shifted her posture just enough to attract his attention, then looked up at him through her eyelashes with innocent eyes and a coy smile.Two could play the distraction game, and she happened to have a unique advantage.

When the dice fell, none of them matched; the Andoran abandoned her flirtatious posture and sat back, unable to hide her delight. “Well, regardless of game, I win,” she observed in a droll tone.

“I want to know how it is that you got kicked out of Arafel, but would still go back to defend it,” she continued. “Generally speaking exile and protective instinct do not go hand in hand- color me intrigued.”
Image Image Image Image

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » April 9th, 2017, 4:06 pm

He took the opportunity to finish off one of his drinks as she rolled and spoke, silence being preferable to him for a couple of reasons. Firstly he wasn't sure what to say and secondly because he didn't want to further embarrass himself. He was also looking down at the dice, Fiona made a good point about the roll being one of two things but he knew she knew that he'd let her choose anyway, ladies first after all. Either way he fancied he was going to lose.

Some luck indeed, good thing I never bet money with her she'd take it all! he cleared his throat as he took up the cup and scooped the dice into t, rattling them idly.

"Oh I have no use for politics," he told her, "well...unless I somehow end up doing something ranked here anyway. Don't think I'd look at you differently then though, unless you'd care to give me advice if I am so accursed. Or the Tower is, come to think of it" he chuckled.

"Either way...never been to Andor. Never cared for power and, for the most part, took people as they were. Was the best way really. So I reckon' you're safe" he resisted the urge to add a 'my lady' on the end - he'd save such jesting for another time.

Fiona shifted and gave him quite a stunning look, positioned just so he didn't look too long over her, that would be far too rude. But long enough to bring a smile to his lips. She was quite attractive and she bloody well knew how to use it. If she were lucky he'd get just merry enough to take her dancing and risk the royal knife in the ribs. He rolled and shook his head, an amused twinkle in his eyes as he noted the inevitable. He had lost, though rather more badly than he had hoped he would. He eyed her and took up another drink, swirling it and staring into it's rather pale depths. She hadn't asked the usual question, about actions and activities. Not directly. She had asked about motivations. He hated thinking about motivations, it made his life...difficult at times.

"You win and far is fair," he leaned back in his chair and scratched his chin, "I got kicked out for my actions and I'd return because of my heart. That's a good answer, right?" he asked her and the look he got back prodded him, "oh...fine. This strange Tower has made me more honest at least" he noted wryly.

"I was a criminal, though I never got caught. Not really. Not officially" despite it all a slightly bitter tone came into his voice, underneath his usual gently mocking tone, "father knew. Few of his friends. Some others. Father was well connected enough to stop it getting to anything serious in terms of punishment. Hoped I'd reform I think" he sighed.

"Never killed, never hit anyone who didn't hit me, stole only what others thought they were stealing from me. Greed, you see? Few duels. Tavern brawls and other things I'm not proud of," he shrugged, "finally was too much. Wasted life, he told me. Threw me out and sent me here"

He left out the fact that he his actions had probably led to the ending of the few friendships he had had, quite sharply and suddenly too.

"So...I am not welcome there. Disowned. Not until I better myself, become Gaidin perhaps. Do something worthwhile. But...I'd go back in a heartbeat if my family and homeland were in trouble. I'd not be wanted but it wouldn't matter. Not to me. Keeping them safe is more important than their acceptance. Though I suppose I have two homes now"

"So there you go, the shaded past of Alrim Farshera revealed," he drank some more and looked at her, "you can run away now if you like but I promise I'm going to be on my best behaviour. Reformed, that's what they call me" he quipped, half-expecting her to in truth.

"Or shall we play for something else?"
~
~

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"

Post by Sunny » April 16th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Fiona rested her elbow on the table and her chin in the palm of her upraised hand, head tilted ever so slightly to the side as she listened to Alrim’s story. A conman and a troublemaker, was he? The Accepted hadn’t needed his backstory to pick up on that, but the extent of his family’s actions surprised her. Then again...they were Borderlanders. The northern folk had strange ideas of what was acceptable. It didn’t matter to Fiona in the slightest; Alrim was hardly the only such personality she knew and even she herself could not claim total innocence.

The young Andoran continued to watch him, blue eyes steady. “I think it’s appalling that they treated you so poorly,” she commented finally, the fingers of her other hand tapping on the table thoughtfully. “But maybe if they hadn’t, you would never have found yourself. Plus, I wouldn’t have met you, so I will be selfishly glad you made your way here.” Her hand shifted to cover his briefly. “I think the next time you see your family, they will welcome you with open arms and pride in their hearts at how you have progressed. You’re walking a path now where sleight of hand and knowing which way the dice will fall may actually prove an advantage.”

The small woman made a swift decision, then picked up the cup. She did not like the shadows in Alrim’s eyes; perhaps her true secret would make him smile again. “As it happens, I have some understanding of the allure of a gamble myself.” As her fingers wrapped around the smooth wood, the sound of tumbling dice in her head grew louder, the impulse to act so strong she could not ignore it. Fiona flipped the dice out onto the table, where they rolled and skipped, landing with four sixes and a crown showing. She gave Alrim a crooked smile, then scooped them back in the cup, shook it, rolled them out again. Four crowns and a six. A third time- four sixes and a crown again.

“Don’t ask me how, I don’t know,” she said as she gathered the dice once more. “Thanks to Lady Luck, I am unwelcome in several establishments in this city, however. I suppose it was yet more luck that you brought me to one not on that list.”
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik